Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

eh, I'm sure Squadrons will be fun with a HOTAS, and it's a good investment anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XenoCrab
Mar 30, 2012

XenoCrab is the least important character in the Alien movie franchise. He's not even in the top ten characters.
Getting into Elite:Dangerous and the release of Flight Sim 2020 this year sure makes buying a HOTAS and TrackIR 8 years ago seem like a genius level move even if they've been in the closet for most of that time.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I really need headtracking, but buying a Warthog, which is built like the hands on throttle and steering setup of an A-10 Warthog and thus lasts forever, years ago for E:D might've been the best investment I ever made.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Black Griffon posted:

I really need headtracking, but buying a Warthog, which is built like the hands on throttle and steering setup of an A-10 Warthog and thus lasts forever, years ago for E:D might've been the best investment I ever made.

The Warthog is great. I prefer the X-52, just because it's much lighter, but goddamn is a Warthog fun. TrackIR's good head tracking, though I've also heard good things about the Tobii Eyetracker for general head tracking without the dumbass TrackClip or having to wear a hat. Of course, getting a FaceTrackNoIR setup is possible but that's :effort:

Squadrons will definitely be tons of fun with a HOTAS, so long as the game itself is fun.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Black Griffon posted:

:same:

The Warthog while expensive a poo poo is fuckin amazing.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Flimf posted:

They also released this video for the people who don't like the red visuals:

https://twitter.com/bpmgame/status/1302672663991656450

I thought it was pretty funny :v:

lol

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

I've got a lightly used Saitek x52 I wish someone local would take off my hands. It's been sitting in a closet for 6 years. I'm in Massachusetts btw

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass
In the past few weeks I have played through ~40 hours of Shadow of War campaign and now the Avengers campaign with my :siren: STEAM CONTROLLER :siren: and it worked beautifully, and I like that I can map one of the extra buttons on the back for their Detective Vision, the other for discord voice chat, and can have it do fine aiming with the gyroscope with a full left trigger pull. The controller is hot garbage for anything 2D but for some games it works really well.

It's a mess but an intriguing mess. I would've been interested to see where they would've gone with a revision.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I picked up Blasphemous at the suggestion of the chat thread a couple days ago

The rhythm and flow of combat in this game suits me perfectly. I just fought the... tree-satyr? and once I understood the animations to look for, it felt just like Sekiro again. Felt just as good to squeak out a victory, going hitless for half his lifebar out of necessity :black101:

If there's a story here it doesn't make any sense whatsoever though

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Sep 15, 2020

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

There is a story there!

Well...there is text, and dialogue, also cutscenes...

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

I picked up Blasphemous at the suggestion of the chat thread a couple days ago

The rhythm and flow of combat in this game suits me perfectly. I just fought the... tree-satyr? and once I understood the animations to look for, it felt just like Sekiro again. Felt just as good to squeak out a victory, going hitless for half his lifebar out of necessity :black101:

If there's a story here it doesn't make any sense whatsoever though

the game's setting has been overtaken by the Grievous Miracle, a divine phenomenon that causes people's prayers to manifest in reality. because the setting is also a theocratic dystopia based on an extreme form of catholic self-flagellation, this means the Miracle tends to manifest in horrific ways

the player character is on a pilgrimage related to understanding/stopping/worshiping the Miracle, the game's not particularly keen on explaining which and the way it approaches the subject means there's not much of a difference anyway

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Oxxidation posted:

the game's setting has been overtaken by the Grievous Miracle, a divine phenomenon that causes people's prayers to manifest in reality. because the setting is also a theocratic dystopia based on an extreme form of catholic self-flagellation, this means the Miracle tends to manifest in horrific ways

the player character is on a pilgrimage related to understanding/stopping/worshiping the Miracle, the game's not particularly keen on explaining which and the way it approaches the subject means there's not much of a difference anyway

I was thinking the Miracle was a singular apocalyptic event or something, but this is way cooler tbh

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Space Pilgrim Academy, of all things, is getting some kind of major graphics overhaul over the next month.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Xen was cool. I even liked much of Interloper, though the combat to platforming/puzzle ratio was way out of wack, and the conveyer belt sequence became interminable. I enjoyed the new enemy variations, and the Nihilanth was suitably impressive and way more involved than the original's final boss. That said, it was kind of weird playing the whole game through in a few sittings because you can clearly see that Crowbar Collective have a very different design sense than Valve did in 1998 . And I'm not just talking about all the jumping either, more the tightly scripted (and exhilarating!) chase sequences, and the way some maps loop in and around themselves at times and require far more advanced movement than anything in the original Half Life. None of which is a bad thing, it just makes the two "halves" feel just a little discordant.

Anyways, while it's probably not the most accurate of comparisons, because the last time I played Half Life was through Black Mesa, and the last time I played Half Life 2 was with the superlative MMod, I maintain my belief that the sequel is the better game. Half Life 1 has a lot in its favour, namely the greater diversity of weapons, enemies, and locales, but HL2's gameplay variety is unmatched, and while its maps are mostly communist-era misery mixed with gunmetal Combine superstructures, their actual gameplay design is far more conducive towards firefights. On that note, I was actually surprised at how much more combat was in HL2 compared to its predecessor considering its modern reputation for its various gimmicks. There are plenty of those, but there are also a lot of pure combat sequences where you're just gunning your way through one-eyed bastards. And also HL2 has the gravity gun, which is still one of the funnest weapons in any shooter.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Flimf posted:

They also released this video for the people who don't like the red visuals:

https://twitter.com/bpmgame/status/1302672663991656450

I thought it was pretty funny :v:

I like the art style but this owns. I'm sure there were plenty of people Kramer-ing in to the reveal video with "MY EYES!"

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

why is my steamapps folder 160gigs when i have less than 50gigs of games downloaded?

Kly fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Sep 15, 2020

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Make sure to play Blasphemous with the new Spanish dub. It was their original vision for the game, but back in development they had go choose between English or Spanish because of resources, and they chose the profitable option, which makes sense, but now that's rectified.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Black Griffon posted:

Make sure to play Blasphemous with the new Spanish dub. It was their original vision for the game, but back in development they had go choose between English or Spanish because of resources, and they chose the profitable option, which makes sense, but now that's rectified.

I've been playing English up to now but I will rectify that posthaste :tipshat:

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I haven't tried it since I've been playing NG+ in spanish but they did re-record some of the english VA including the infamous character, so it should be better now. tbh I liked the english VA outside of that one exception

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
I only played it after the big patch and I don't even know what character you mean. The english vo was pretty good I thought

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
HADES added 49 achievements. Here's hoping 1.0 is around the corner!

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Yeah there's nothing wrong with the English VO, but the game is so utterly Spanish that the Spanish one just completes and solidifies the atmosphere.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

MMF Freeway posted:

I only played it after the big patch and I don't even know what character you mean. The english vo was pretty good I thought

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=laBOw_dyIiY

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

MMF Freeway posted:

Crisanta, whose original voice actress made it sound like her boss title should have been Vanessa, Who Complains to the Manager

she was redubbed with an appropriately older and imperious VA but yeah, the spanish still trumps everything

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Kly posted:

why is my steamapps folder 160gigs when i have less than 50gigs of games downloaded?

Somebody recommended it a while ago in this thread, but I use Wiztree to figure this kind of thing out.

Quill
Jan 19, 2004

Kly posted:

Could be bloated with Workshop content, or old patchers.

Try the free Wiztree program, like drat Dirty Ape said. Run it in Admin mode.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Lol that's pretty rough

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
I'm liking The Turing Test so far. It's basically Portal but ~serious~ and you've got a frequent dialogue between the player character and the station running AI. 3/7 chapters in the puzzles aren't very hard but starting to ramp up, I completely missed all the special secret puzzles rooms because when I first walked in the computer told me "It doesn't seem like you're able to solve these yet" so I assumed it was something you come back to in late game.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

MMF Freeway posted:

Lol that's pretty rough

The first voice sounded like it was done by some lady from corporate accounting whose full preparation for the role was putting on a Witch hat she got at Wal-Mart.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

zedprime posted:

People would have had to watch Farscape to forget it so it's a very good point that it couldn't possibly be forgettable.

this post by LEXX GANG

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Somebody recommended it a while ago in this thread, but I use Wiztree to figure this kind of thing out.

Spacesniffer uses a decades old filesystem feature to monitor for changes so it can also show where program are writing and will notice deletions you do as well.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

I just want to give props to the name "Tony Hawk Pro Crusader" specifically.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Kly posted:

Hard drives are weird brah, I recently transferred files from one external HDD to another, and when I was done my total file size was much lower, to the tune of hundreds of GB. I checked and everything got transferred correctly. This mystery will never be solved.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Phlegmish posted:

Hard drives are weird brah, I recently transferred files from one external HDD to another, and when I was done my total file size was much lower, to the tune of hundreds of GB. I checked and everything got transferred correctly. This mystery will never be solved.

fragmentation will do that, losing hundreds of gigs to it is pretty extreme though

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

repiv posted:

fragmentation will do that, losing hundreds of gigs to it is pretty extreme though

It must have been about 300-400 GB. The HDD that I transferred from was ancient, almost ten years old, and I don't think I ever defragmented it. The other one is a brand-new Seagate Backup Plus.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

is defragging still a thing? i used to do that all the time in the windows 95 days. i kind of miss it

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

is defragging still a thing? i used to do that all the time in the windows 95 days. i kind of miss it

Yes sort of but Windows does it automatically these days.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

windows passively defrags in the background now, so there's usually no need to do it manually

it won't even let you manually defrag an SSD because it's bad for their longevity

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Then why hadn't it defragged my old drive. Or is it only internal drives

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

i would assume it doesn't do external drives because it would increase the risk of data loss if the user unplugged them without unmounting properly