Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Just confirmed I will be going into underwriting training (the very well paying job I really wanted) within the next 3-5 months. First full day doing training for my old department (the new job that pays ok and has a boss who knows I wanted to do underwriting and was ok with it if I could just help her out by taking on this role in the short term.) This has been a Monday even Garfield could tolerate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
I’ve been putting together an action figure X-Men crew lately. It’s getting weird and I’m trying to tie it all together without going big on the number. I’ve got:

- Colossus
- Wolverine (brown costume)
- Iceman
- Archangel

I think I’d like Rogue, and maybe Havok and Polaris? I also really like Cannonball but the figure for him sucks. Idk.

It got me thinking about my Ideal X-Men. Comic nerds, what’s the X-Men team you want to read about if you capped it at seven?

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Gonna be spending a few nights in Salem in two weeks, I hope the trip lives up to how it's described here:

https://youtu.be/JvUMV1N7eGM

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

my ideal x-men team would just be a variety of characters who have been in x-force at different times so i don't think that actually counts as an x-men team, that's just a new x-force team

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

The Genesis X Men game that let you play as Nightcrawler was awesome

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

NienNunb posted:

Gonna be spending a few nights in Salem in two weeks, I hope the trip lives up to how it's described here:

https://youtu.be/JvUMV1N7eGM

at this time of year it's a tourist trap with probably less fellatio than you're expecting. neat place though.

edit: usually a tourist trap. MA still has most things locked down tight so i'm not sure what tours are still running

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

Captain Magic posted:

I’ve been putting together an action figure X-Men crew lately. It’s getting weird and I’m trying to tie it all together without going big on the number. I’ve got:

- Colossus
- Iceman
- Archangel

I think I’d like Rogue, and maybe Havok and Polaris? I also really like Cannonball but the figure for him sucks. Idk.

It got me thinking about my Ideal X-Men. Comic nerds, what’s the X-Men team you want to read about if you capped it at seven?

operating purely on technicalities in some of these cases but gently caress you:

juggernaut
deadpool (kelly or nicieza only)
nightcrawler
mystique
magneto (he was on it once! he counts!!!)
cyclops (post x-men vs avengers only)
emma frost

further elaboration edit for the deadpool pick: hes been so mishandled that people forget it but his...entire character, tbh, is about finding someone/a group of people to give a poo poo about him at all. he just wants to fit in somewhere and matter to someone. every time hes had a real offer at the x-men hes always taken it pretty seriously and tried to even be a mentor to the younger members. part of why the movie sucked was it started with him.....turning down the one thing hes always wanted, and that drives his character????? loving hate whats happened to my boy over the past 15 years of flanderization

Paper Lion fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Sep 14, 2020

your friend sk
Dec 10, 2005

(ヤイケス!)

Critical posted:

at this time of year it's a tourist trap with probably less fellatio than you're expecting. neat place though.

I was actually gonna say this is the perfect time to go! halloween stuff is starting up, but it'll be pretty empty. we had our run of the place in mid September last year

in contrast: we had to do a drive from cambridge in mid October 2018 to pick some art up from NAGLY. it was 20 minutes driving there, then at LEAST a half hour in gridlock trying to find any parking place within a mile of the mall

e:

Critical posted:

edit: usually a tourist trap. MA still has most things locked down tight so i'm not sure what tours are still running

I'd be surprised if they aren't running, especially the ones that stay outside. halloween is pretty much salem's entire economy, so even with restrictions in place I imagine the town will want to cut as little as (safely) possible

your friend sk fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Sep 14, 2020

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Captain Magic posted:

- Colossus
- Iceman
- Archangel

Colossus
Nightcrawler
Gambit
Storm
Wolverine
Iceman
Rogue

Love da 90s baybee

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Colossus
Nightcrawler
Gambit
Storm
Wolverine
Iceman
Rogue

Love da 90s baybee

This is mine just sub Gambit for Beast. Gambit sucks he’s basically this guy

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

johnny fiveaces was in one of the greatest video games of all time. the same cannot be said of beast.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Paper Lion posted:

juggernaut
deadpool (kelly or nicieza only)
nightcrawler
mystique
magneto (he was on it once! he counts!!!)
cyclops (post x-men vs avengers only)
Good picks. HOWEVER before XvA Cyclops has a jetpack, and Cyclops with a jetpack owns.

Magneto has been on the X-men a lot, I think. Like, probably a good decade over the course of there being X-men.

And you've seen the "he never cashed the cheques" Deadpool stuff right? He's a very good X-person, totally agree.

For me the fun of X-men is the ensemble cast that constantly rotates so it's really tough. Deadpool and Cyclops definitely, though.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yeah Magneto’s on the X-Men all the time. My favorite rendition was Age of Apocalypse but he was in it in the eighties (he and Wolverine bonded which is why it was real hosed up when he sucked out the adamantium) and also he joins as Xorn (I think) and also I think they had an island and he was on their side.

Juggernaut being on the X-Men is real cool. I like that. Too bad it didn’t last.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Eat My Fuc posted:

The Genesis X Men game that let you play as Nightcrawler was awesome

i only ever got to like the third level. that first xmen game is way harder than it has any right to be.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Magnetos in the X-Men right now

Please read Hickman's current X-books, they're beyond good

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

JOHN CENA posted:

i only ever got to like the third level. that first xmen game is way harder than it has any right to be.

it also has a part in the penultimate stage where you have to "RESET THE COMPUTER" in order to advance. this is achieved by lightly tapping the reset button on the console. any harder and you just reset the game entirely.

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

Joey McChrist posted:

it also has a part in the penultimate stage where you have to "RESET THE COMPUTER" in order to advance. this is achieved by lightly tapping the reset button on the console. any harder and you just reset the game entirely.

That's loving hilarious, I had no idea. I don't think I ever beat the second level I would just replay the first over and over.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

i truly think more people would like the xmen if they werent useless shitlibs for a solid 30 years, across an entire multimedia empire. they were always at their best in those years when pushed all the way into a corner and being forced into proactive decision making in order to stay alive. to see them inevitably backslide into the status quo "please respect us" bullshit was so annoying. the last few years of everyone admitting magneto and cyclops were right has been some of the best content in not only the franchise but all of comic books, imo.

also the reason i was so cagey on magneto was because i couldnt remember if some of those times he was in the xmen really "counted" like if it was just the real magneto in the real timeline with no fuckery or identity poo poo. but yeah its been at least like 3 times even under those conditions.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Captain Magic posted:

- Colossus
- Iceman
- Archangel

Madrox
Storm
Rogue
Beast
Emma Frost
Magneto
Cyclops

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

NienNunb posted:

Magnetos in the X-Men right now

Please read Hickman's current X-books, they're beyond good

I’m trying to start but then someone was like “here’s a reading list of all the Hickman things” and some of it was in the Ultimate universe and THEN I remembered I was like halfway through Ultimates, U Spider-Man, U X Men and all that.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Captain Magic posted:

I’m trying to start but then someone was like “here’s a reading list of all the Hickman things” and some of it was in the Ultimate universe and THEN I remembered I was like halfway through Ultimates, U Spider-Man, U X Men and all that.

That was me. If you just want Hickman X-Men and don't want to read the near decade of avengers nonsense that came before it, you're in luck because the former is a jumping on point that has very little to do with the latter.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

NienNunb posted:

That was me. If you just want Hickman X-Men and don't want to read the near decade of avengers nonsense that came before it, you're in luck because the former is a jumping on point that has very little to do with the latter.
Also I would literally say not to burn yourself out on the Hickman avengers, because while it's good to great it completely burnt me out on Hickman. There's so loving much. FF was was way better than Avengers and I wouldn't be surprised if his X-books were better outside the plebes that wank to every massive cross-over.

Like I tried his X-books and there's just too much timeline this, big off-screen change that, time skip time skip, huge big deal that barely feels connected obscure reference whatever whatever ok for me. I don't get the feeling he wants to write the comic he's writing so much, even though I know he definitely does given he came back to Marvel for this I think? Then again it's entirely possible I'm just done with comics, none of them have clicked with me in years.

So yeah read the X-book and enjoy the ongoing feeling. I miss that.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Bluedeanie posted:

Just confirmed I will be going into underwriting training (the very well paying job I really wanted) within the next 3-5 months. First full day doing training for my old department (the new job that pays ok and has a boss who knows I wanted to do underwriting and was ok with it if I could just help her out by taking on this role in the short term.) This has been a Monday even Garfield could tolerate.

That's awesome, well done!

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

NienNunb posted:

I’m gonna read everything!

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
I forgot just how loving GOOD the Stone Roses' first album was.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Captain Magic posted:

This sort of logic is how I ended up starting The Complete Marvel Reading Order 15 months ago. Which was probably a dumb thing to do but it has been fun.

I think my X-Men team definitely features Jamie Madrox and Glob and Rockslide. Other than that I'm unsure. Probably have to throw Wolverine in there because he's a big dumb weeb.

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Sep 15, 2020

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

CobiWann posted:

I forgot just how loving GOOD the Stone Roses' first album was.

so creative and interesting. fool’s gold is my favorite smoking song

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Eat My Fuc posted:

so creative and interesting. fool’s gold is my favorite smoking song

:hf:

I was offered a chance to submit a story to an anthology where each piece is based on an album or song that's important to the author - first dance, first kiss, first...well, yeah...and so on.

I went with "She Bangs The Drums." Because more people need to know who Alan Wren is and why he deserves to be mentioned in the same breath as Peart/Moon/Bonham.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

i used to really hate wolverine and then realized it was because the character never really had any levity or personality beyond constant personal tragedies, love triangles, memory loss and cuck angles. not that i want every character to make jokes, usually comic book jokes arent funny to me. but just. some kind of personality. i like this wolverine. hes comfortable with himself. hes clearly ready to drink, because he has the beer. but he has friends.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Captain Magic posted:

- Colossus
- Iceman
- Archangel

Beast
Nightcrawler
Rogue
Emma Frost
Cyclops
Storm
Fantomex

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

NienNunb posted:

You also don't need to read all of that if you just want to read Avengers. That was like the hard mode reading list.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Cyclops
Wolverine
Rogue
Storm
Beast
Gambit
Jubilee
Jean Gray
(Because I'm not much of a comics guy, my first exposure to the X-men was the 90's cartoon, and that's the order they were introduced in in the opening)

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Wolverine
Bone Claw Wolverine
Gambit
Cyclops
Psylocke

Dont remember which other x men were in mvc2 so I am gonna assume that makes them trash tier, and with that said none are as good as BB Hood, Captain America or Hulk imo

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Holy motherfucking poo poo I didn’t realize SPELUNKY 2 IS OUT TODAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

YYYYYY

Y

your friend sk
Dec 10, 2005

(ヤイケス!)

extradite THIS! posted:

Holy motherfucking poo poo I didn’t realize SPELUNKY 2 IS OUT TODAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

YYYYYY

Y

I just learned about spelunky 2 today?? gonna have to take a look

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Bluedeanie posted:

Wolverine
Bone Claw Wolverine
Gambit
Cyclops
Psylocke

Dont remember which other x men were in mvc2 so I am gonna assume that makes them trash tier, and with that said none are as good as BB Hood, Captain America or Hulk imo

this mf didn't remember Marrow or Spiral

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

I remembered the bone person but couldn't remember if they were an x man or not.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i never rly got into xmen outside of the first movie and Logan

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

JOHN CENA posted:

i never rly got into xmen outside of the first movie and Logan

Some of the comics are very good & some are very bad & some are ok. That is my review.

I thought about it some more & here is my X-Team

Magneto
Glob
Rockslide
Multiple Man
Storm but only Storm with the rad mohawk
Shadowcat
Warlock

There's lots of weird & wonderful mutants to choose from

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

forkboy84 posted:

Some of the comics are very good & some are very bad & some are ok. That is my review.

I thought about it some more & here is my X-Team

Magneto
Glob
Rockslide
Multiple Man
Storm but only Storm with the rad mohawk
Shadowcat
Warlock

There's lots of weird & wonderful mutants to choose from

Sup fellow Madrox liker

Cyclops
Monet/M