Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
Stay safe fellas and ladies on the west coast, the pictures look crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

When we smoke indoors, the secret is getting the ashes outside as quickly as possible. Keeps the smell from sticking around more than a day or two. Small consolation, I know. I hope you guys can stay safe and well ♥️

I'm finally getting really excellent smoke out of this pipe. Those Muttnchop Piper videos were really great - filled in some things I had been missing out on. It's a much better experience and even is helping with things like how hot the bowl gets.

The Verocru and Sapphires arrived from CA in honestly much better condition than I thought. The cellophane was in good shape on both boxes, and hopefully that'll mean a short adjustment time.

The factory packaging for those Sapphires has blown me away, too. It almost feels like cheating getting those for $4.50/each:

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

Woo WOO, Look a Parrot...
LOOK AT IT!
Those Verocru are a great shorter smoke.

I ended up picking up an Olivia Conn robusto for my friend who is a self proclaimed “cigar noob” today and while at the shop I snagged a punch (the best cut for cigars, fight me) and a big thing of butane for my table top lighter.

Now to unpack so I can find it.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Punches kick rear end and I want a lathe for home use not ONLY to make infinite of them, but partially so.

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!
I have a lathe... why didn’t I think of just making them out of 304 stock?

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Punches are easily the best cut. I used to use V cuts more, but now I basically only want to punch.

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!
https://imgur.com/a/3Z968Sh

Oh yeah I can just make them. I have so much exotic wood from an old business I should just start pumping out fancy punches.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

If you do that, I'll send you some spare 5/8" 303. I think I've got like a few feet of it.

Then I'll also send you money for some punches!

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!
One of the suppliers for my old business has a Swiss CNC machine I could probably get him to just turn a bunch for me and make up my own handles.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

That's probably an ideal use case, the other would be a thread thread exclusive PerfecDraw.

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!
I’d have to gauge interest and get an idea of the ideal cut size people want. I’d probably do more of a “home punch” design vs a portable keychain punch to minimize the amount of parts and instead focus on baller-rear end exotic woods and weird acrylics.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
I’m in for thread made cigar accessories, punches, cigar holders, ashtrays, whatever you folks can cook up more or less.

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011

Lyon posted:

I’m in for thread made cigar accessories, punches, cigar holders, ashtrays, whatever you folks can cook up more or less.

I second that motion

moxieman
Jul 30, 2013

I'd rather die than go to heaven.
Likewise

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!
I have a cnc router too. Ash trays would be dope.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I represent a cigar-buying syndicate that would likewise happily dump money into custom accessories.

Hayden
Jan 17, 2006

Bastion of Sexual Anarchy
I'd definitely be interested in some super cool Oph custom cigar accessories.

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!
Let me work up a google doc to figure out what everyone is interested in so I can work a plan.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

The PerfecDraw was a joke, btw, but yeah thread arts and crafts is gonna rule!

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
Also sorry west coast folks but the weather in philly is amazing. Finally a night in long sleeves out on the back porch. Excited for the fall and football.

Smoking an Ave Maria Dark Knight and it’s pretty tasty so far.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I decided to check out one of the La Aurora Preferidos Sapphire Coronas with my morning coffee and

Ho Lee Moe Lee.

These are really good. Not "good for a Connecticut" but really actually fantastic.

Visually they almost seem fake with the smoothness of the wrapper.

The first thing is that this is very smooth but really full bodied. It's incredibly thick with flavor, but it's not trying to give you a spice or pepper blast. The draw is almost completely free of resistance.

The opening was full whipped cream. Sweet wood, cream, and a really strong backbone of white pepper. It's a really delicious contrast.

I'm just a few inches in and really blown away. For under $5/stick, that deal is insane on CA when they come up again. I'm going to be keeping an eye out for the other non-tubos Preferidos and try to always have some on hand.

E: I do have a few things where the bands are pulling up the wrapper. It's just a really thin leaf and has been hanging out in a humidor a few years, so I don't really hold anything against the construction for it.

NewFatMike fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Sep 13, 2020

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
Well boys I ordered the LAdC box from CI to get that sweet sweet hat. It’s back ordered which I sort of love, hopefully it randomly shows up in three months or something. It was $100 including shipping/taxes (with a promo code) for 20 LAdC robustos, the 5 cigar sampler, and then all that beautiful swag.

NewFatMike posted:

I decided to check out one of the La Aurora Preferidos Sapphire Coronas with my morning coffee and

Ho Lee Moe Lee.

These are really good. Not "good for a Connecticut" but really actually fantastic.

Visually they almost seem fake with the smoothness of the wrapper.

The first thing is that this is very smooth but really full bodied. It's incredibly thick with flavor, but it's not trying to give you a spice or pepper blast. The draw is almost completely free of resistance.

The opening was full whipped cream. Sweet wood, cream, and a really strong backbone of white pepper. It's a really delicious contrast.

I'm just a few inches in and really blown away. For under $5/stick, that deal is insane on CA when they come up again. I'm going to be keeping an eye out for the other non-tubos Preferidos and try to always have some on hand.

E: I do have a few things where the bands are pulling up the wrapper. It's just a really thin leaf and has been hanging out in a humidor a few years, so I don't really hold anything against the construction for it.

I think I smoked one of these a while ago and I should have another somewhere. I’ll have to give it another whirl. I have really liked the La Aurora 1495 series and a couple of their other offerings but some of their sticks have been extremely bland/boring.

Lyon fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Sep 14, 2020

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011
The order from FoH that could have been delayed for weeks has been shipped 5 days after the order. And our air is now worse, we didn't get any rain or wind over the weekend so I'm stuck inside for at least another week

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!
I got a 10 pack of RASS from a 2016 cab in the mail today.

Goddamn they smell delicious.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Oh man those are handsome.

Maksimus54 posted:

The order from FoH that could have been delayed for weeks has been shipped 5 days after the order. And our air is now worse, we didn't get any rain or wind over the weekend so I'm stuck inside for at least another week

:smith::hf::smith:

NewFatMike posted:

Ho Lee Moe Lee.

Oh man this sounds good. I've got this on my CA watchlist now.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Ophidian posted:

I got a 10 pack of RASS from a 2016 cab in the mail today.

Goddamn they smell delicious.

I'll break out a RASS tonight in solidarity!

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

The Verocru are in pretty good shape, too! Humidor taking a bit of a hit humidity wise, but hopefully it'll bounce back soon. Got a few more picks coming through on CA, so yay that.

I had whiskey with my pipe for the first time last night and that paired really well. Super excited to get camping soon with my partner with all these yummy smokeables!

We've got a bunch of magnets and vinyl sheets on the shopping list to keep chuffing through the Chicago winter on the balcony. What are y'all's winter plans in the whacky corona world?

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!
I’m building a fire pit in the next few weeks. That’s my plan for winter stogies

That and a possible propane heater for the patio as well.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I've already got a propane heater that works pretty well, and temperatures are on the mild side here. I really need to figure out some sort of rain shelter for my deck though. Not sure what the best thing will be, but I've got a month or two before the real rains start, so hopefully I'll figure something out by then.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
I’m trying the porktree patented electric blanket for when it gets really cold I think. If that isn’t enough I’ll probably go with a propane heater.

I should have a box of RASS and some other assorted goodies tomorrow, hopefully, so I haven’t been smoking as much. Speaking of, RASS are on special at iHavanas for $195. Looks like they are $150 in Cuba and I have no idea if better deals pop up throughout the year.

I had a Nestor Miranda Connecticut at some point which was fine but nothing too exciting.

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!
I’ve been hovering over buying a box of RASS but my local guys don’t want to split right now.

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011

Lyon posted:

I’m trying the porktree patented electric blanket for when it gets really cold I think. If that isn’t enough I’ll probably go with a propane heater.

I should have a box of RASS and some other assorted goodies tomorrow, hopefully, so I haven’t been smoking as much. Speaking of, RASS are on special at iHavanas for $195. Looks like they are $150 in Cuba and I have no idea if better deals pop up throughout the year.

I had a Nestor Miranda Connecticut at some point which was fine but nothing too exciting.

I saw that on the RASS but I'm trying to hold off on actually tasting one before I buy a box. drat if it isn't tempting though. I saw FoH had PLPC's quarter box deal going for their 24:24 that if I didn't have a couple on the way already I'd have jumped on.

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!
RASS or centurion corona tonight?

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
I vote RASS cause I will also be smoking one tonight if this drat package ever arrives.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Kiddo wouldn't participate in sleeping last evening so I just got around to this to finish out my work day:

This box was from March of 2015. When I first got these they were okay, but now that they've got some age on them they're pretty great. Someone at one time mentioned these take on a cola note at they got older and I'm totally getting that now.

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!
I got flints for my I’m corona. It had butane in it still and it lit up on the first strike.

I haven’t filled it in 8 years or so.

E:

Ophidian fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Sep 16, 2020

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

drat RASS chat has me heckin jealous!

Snagged La Aurora Platinums in corona and Oliva Serie V No. 4s (corona) as well today for the weekly pickups from CA!

Gonna have a humidor full of beautiful coronas. I'm really psyched - I love Serie V, but haven't had one in a few years.

The pipe has been really good lately - those Muttnchop Piper videos are truly ace, it's gonna stay in the rotation especially for night caps.

goblox
Sep 13, 2012

A friend gave me this to try yesterday evening. The Chillin' Moose Too gigante despite being 6x60 was a wonderful connecticut broadleaf cigar with a nice bold punch. If I was looking to smoke a 6x60 I would smoke this again or the flathead 660.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
So I got a bunch of cubans in and I've smoked three of them so far, Bolivar Petit Corona, RASS, and HdM Petit Robusto. Of the three the HdM Petit Robusto is hands down the best but it also has the most age on it (March 19), then the Bolivar Petit Corona (December 19), and the RASS was a bit harsh and less flavorful (August 19).

There also appears to be mold on the head of some of the HdM Petit Robustos, I assume I just wipe this off and quarantine?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!
White mold wipe it off with a dry paper towel and you are g2g

E: didn’t warrant another post but I was able to finally find a propane patio heater in stock today so between that and the fire pit I haven’t built yet, it’s looking like a smoky fall for the Ophidian household.

Ophidian fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Sep 18, 2020