Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
im so hype. spelunky was my game of the decade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
College Slice

Tremis posted:

Please are saying it's out in Australia and New Zealand now. I'm not sure what that says about other time zone releases though.

Yeah I see one person streaming on twitch saying he got it off the Australia PS4 network. I assume a midnight release.

poemdexter fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Sep 14, 2020

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

poemdexter posted:

Yeah I see one person streaming on twitch saying he got it off the Australia PS4 network. I assume a midnight release.

do we know if its gonna be a midnight release tonight because if it gets a midnight release i might need to be sick tomorrow.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
College Slice

Impermanent posted:

do we know if its gonna be a midnight release tonight because if it gets a midnight release i might need to be sick tomorrow.

I can only assume midnight release due to australia store having it and it's sept 15 over there.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Really surprised Switch plans haven't been announced.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Meridian posted:

Really surprised Switch plans haven't been announced.

Sony likely paid for some timed exclusivity.

Evil Robot
May 20, 2001
Universally hated.
Grimey Drawer
The revenue-optimal strategy for a highly in-demand indie game is to get console exclusivity on PS4/Xbox, release shortly thereafter on PC, and after the exclusivity contract ends, launch on Switch.

Potentially you can get the same person to buy the game three times.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

Fartington Butts posted:

Sony likely paid for some timed exclusivity.

Great good job but in that case put a pre-order or unlock time in your store so I know whether I'm calling out of work tomorrow or Wednesday!

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

8AM.

https://twitter.com/mossmouth/status/1305632476887277570?s=20

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
2 more weeks for me RIPPPPPPPP

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009
Carry a stone at all times.

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

Probably going to end up buying this 3 or more times. PS4, PC, and presumably Switch. My Vita was purchased just for portable Spelunky.

Not looking at any of the previews for maximum surprises.

Evil Robot posted:

The revenue-optimal strategy for a highly in-demand indie game is to get console exclusivity on PS4/Xbox, release shortly thereafter on PC, and after the exclusivity contract ends, launch on Switch.

Potentially you can get the same person to buy the game three times.

Yep...

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

Brasseye posted:

Carry a stone at all times.

Always Be Carrying

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

HMS Beagle posted:

Always Be Carrying

PUT. THAT. KAPALA. DOWN. The Kapala is for closers only. You think I'm fuckin with you? I am not fuckin with you.

You call yourself a Spelunker, you son of a bitch?

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

heh https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QR6UBSjgSLE&t=1867s

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

I love how the very first run they try they get juggled to death in ten seconds. That's all I needed to see to know that the old Spelunky magic is back.

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

When do titles usually drop? I don't even see it listed in the PlayStation Store.

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

Escape Goat posted:

When do titles usually drop? I don't even see it listed in the PlayStation Store.

Yu tweeted this will be a 8am PST release for US

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Gonna 'Lunk so hard tomorrow.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Uuuuugh I gotta wait another two weeks! I'm dying, Squirtle.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Yeah use spoiler tags. Saw up to the third zone and Olmec ambushes you without his creature summoning gem and is a lot faster and I'm really curious to what else they do.

There's general stuff like tunnels you can duck in and out of for secrets but uh, this game seems way way harder than Spelunky 1. To the point I'd highly suggest beating the first game before touching 2.
1-4 splits into two exits, one to the jungle and one to the volcano. Volcano has enemies from the Ruins and Hell in 1, and insta death lava pits everywhere. Jungle is a maze of brambles that also kill you absurdly fast. The difficulty hike seems way WAY higher than the OG game.

Ghost seem to split in 2 if you take too long after they show up. One moves at normal speed and the second one loving zooms at you and tries to fake you into panicking before swooping at you. Absolute bastards.

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Sep 15, 2020

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

This game is just brutal. Some of the enemies in the first level will completely gently caress you up, the second levels seem like they are full of instant death traps everywhere.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

For anyone that's playing on ps4, we could group up at the ps4 gamer discord:

https://discord.gg/FsWUv2j

I know Segaholic2 and possibly me will be buying it.

Edit: we've set up a subchannel just for this and even have a role (check the announcements to assign yourself)

Ineffiable fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Sep 15, 2020

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

Longest hour of my life

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
College Slice

PG-13 SEX DUNGEON posted:

Longest hour of my life

TELL ME ABOUT IT

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Definitely seems harder to me though I am getting older now and shitter at games. The Tony Hawk remaster showed me that.

I've gotten a bit into it, unlocked the second shortcut just now and got up to (spoilers for later worlds here, 3, 4 and 5 specifically) the ice caves and pretty much immediately died. Having two options for worlds 2 and 4 is nifty, gives you some options to go in. The jungle is a very harsh place, those brambles being everywhere is pretty mean so I prefer the volcano zone so far. When I saw Olmec was a mini boss I was really worried cause he hosed me up in the first game but he's a lot easier, more of a minor speed bump than an actual obstacle.

There seems to be a lot of things that are very fiddly and hard to pull off and then the reward is one crate with a random thing in, like a parachute which makes them seem not worth doing.

Waterfall Watcher
Dec 17, 2018

How to ruin improve game sessions & family ties with one simple question.

-Would this be better if I used poison?
Please give.
Finally online coop spelunky my wishes are finally going to be answer. No more lovely Para sec, no more remote play. Now I can miss off the ones who play with me a lot more and with better quality.

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

Discord link added to the top of the OP. Friends list is at the bottom of the OP. Post or PM me your PS4 screen name to be added to this public list!

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

It's downloading! Aaahhhhgh!

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

https://store.playstation.com/en-us/product/UP4407-CUSA20601_00-SPELUNKY20000000

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

Fortunately the download is a bit smaller than Microsoft Flight Simulator.

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019

Only shows as wishlist-able for me.
Had to purchase and download directly from the PS4.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I’m waffling on this. I enjoyed Spelunky but never got good enough to even complete a run. This sounds like more but also harder?

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

Pulcinella posted:

Only shows as wishlist-able for me.
Had to purchase and download directly from the PS4.

I was just able to purchase from webstore, it's slow to update sometimes.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Got it downloadin'. TAKE ME TO LUNKY TOWN

Evil Robot
May 20, 2001
Universally hated.
Grimey Drawer
I played a couple of games, made it to 1-4. Love the turkeys and there are definitely some deadly surprises for Spelunky vets.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

Died 5 seconds after getting to 2-1. I watched an enemy die to a trap and then I went and died to that exact same trap. Genius level move.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

Died to a skelly 48 seconds into my first run. I missed Spelunky.

How do you all feel about default auto-run with R2 to walk? The inverse feels more natural but maybe this will be better in the long run if I practice it...

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Pakistani Brad Pitt posted:

How do you all feel about default auto-run with R2 to walk? The inverse feels more natural but maybe this will be better in the long run if I practice it...

I switched it back in the tutorial, it felt wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

Pakistani Brad Pitt posted:

Yeah I can't decide on it either. I know lots of folks run all the time anyway in og Spelunky but I'm finding myself taking a lot of damage from running right into enemies with autorun on.