Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

a lot of whacky poo poo is getting discovered now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7EEHy0G9nI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
I asked the games general chat thread, but what kind of tools exist for making A Link To The Past romhacks/clones? Hyrule Magic, Zelda Classic, anything else? I basically want to know what the least amount of coding i have to learn is in order to make a cute lil game for my wife where zelda gathers flowers and talks to birds

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

:ssj:goku i won't do what u tell me:ssj:

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

I asked the games general chat thread, but what kind of tools exist for making A Link To The Past romhacks/clones? Hyrule Magic, Zelda Classic, anything else? I basically want to know what the least amount of coding i have to learn is in order to make a cute lil game for my wife where zelda gathers flowers and talks to birds

off the top of my head i think using something like rpg maker with some zelda sprites (or maybe even game maker) is probably easier than rom hacking. but i say this as a game developer with zero rom hacking experience

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Something I desperately want BotW 2 to do: allow you to disable the goddamn enemy music. There's nothing I hate more than soaking in the beautiful atmosphere of the game, only to have it constantly interrupted by the obnoxious and repetitive enemy music. Half the time I could just run past the enemies, but I kill them just to shut the music up.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Something I desperately want BotW 2 to do: allow you to disable the goddamn enemy music. There's nothing I hate more than soaking in the beautiful atmosphere of the game, only to have it constantly interrupted by the obnoxious and repetitive enemy music. Half the time I could just run past the enemies, but I kill them just to shut the music up.

It’s meant to be a warning to the player that the enemy has seen you and is attacking. It also identifies who is attacking you. You notice that you don’t get the music if you sneak around the enemies? That’s why.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Geostomp posted:

It’s meant to be a warning to the player that the enemy has seen you and is attacking. It also identifies who is attacking you. You notice that you don’t get the music if you sneak around the enemies? That’s why.

There are ways to do this without having the same tune flare up every time and frequently crescendo into a bombastic frenzy. It especially should not happen over minor enemies. For instance, there's absolutely no reason chuchus should interrupt the atmosphere by triggering the enemy music. They're doing this out of tradition, not to alert the player.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

i never found the battle music obnoxious and repetitive mostly because they smartly designed it so with smaller enemies it begins very sedate and if you get the encounter over with in a matter of second never ramps up to the intense pumping battle beats, which would actually get tiring if you were hearing them constantly.

i wouldn't mind chuchus not getting encounter music though.

E. like hearing the beginning of this it doesn't stick out from the game's calm piano vibes very hard until 30 seconds in
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t33TgPcptWk

Amppelix fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Sep 15, 2020

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

I get the battle music complaint, but it does seem to help my kid be more aware when he plays. Ideally could just add some sort of tolerance slider from “normal” to “no battle music” tiered by enemy strength. Could even use the existing experience system to define tiers. Obviously settings creep can be annoying, but this would be a cool feature.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Beedle should get with that one rich dude's enforcers, he could absolutely make more than those pots are worth by charging for breakage.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Loucks posted:

I get the battle music complaint, but it does seem to help my kid be more aware when he plays. Ideally could just add some sort of tolerance slider from “normal” to “no battle music” tiered by enemy strength. Could even use the existing experience system to define tiers. Obviously settings creep can be annoying, but this would be a cool feature.

Yeah, this would be ideal. I still want the music for bigger battles, just not every time a Keese, Chuchu, or one or two Bokoblins stumble by.

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
I think the last panel misses the mark. I think a normal, smiling Link would work better than that sinister looking Link

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

they should get rid of the last word bubble too. and delete the whole comic off my page!!

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Fractional rupees don't exist, and furthermore,

E: Wait, I actually have a furthermore! WW Link never uses the Hylian shield. :colbert:

Cattail Prophet fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Sep 16, 2020

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

GI_Clutch posted:

I think the last panel misses the mark. Link is holding his sword in the wrong hand.

:hmmyes:

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

GI_Clutch posted:

I think the last panel misses the mark. I think a normal, smiling Link would work better than that sinister looking Link

Some talent would help too.

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

Woh, is that a thing I like??
The shield is also way too small....

This like a Zelda cartoon made by an AI

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
I can’t wait for breath of the wild 2. It’s gonna whip rear end

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

decided i'm just gonna get genshin impact instead

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

thrilla in vanilla posted:

I can’t wait for breath of the wild 2. It’s gonna whip rear end

:hmmyes::hmmyes::hmmyes:

The bar for them to clear is absurdly high, but given how high they set it in the first place I have a feeling they’ll clear it easily

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

The Maroon Hawk posted:

:hmmyes::hmmyes::hmmyes:

The bar for them to clear is absurdly high, but given how high they set it in the first place I have a feeling they’ll clear it easily

Wasn't the game basically redesigned from the ground up by a younger team who said "look at open world Western games, we can do that but better"

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

pentyne posted:

Wasn't the game basically redesigned from the ground up by a younger team who said "look at open world Western games, we can do that but better"

I first read that not as "games from the Western hemisphere" but as the Western genre, which includes uhh, Red Dead Redemption series and ????

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

canyoneer posted:

I first read that not as "games from the Western hemisphere" but as the Western genre, which includes uhh, Red Dead Redemption series and ????

GUN, Oddworld: Stranger's wrath, Hard West, West of Loathing, Call of Juarez... Uh can't remember any others but still :colbert:

It was a weirdly popular genre in 2005

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
Red Faction Guerilla is a Used Future Trashpunk OSHA-Western and i will die defending it.

KRILLIN IN THE NAME posted:

off the top of my head i think using something like rpg maker with some zelda sprites (or maybe even game maker) is probably easier than rom hacking. but i say this as a game developer with zero rom hacking experience

Game Maker with zelda sprites sounds like the way to go, and a perfect excuse to learn that software. Thanks!

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

canyoneer posted:

Apparently the BOTW sequel is being pretty heavily influenced by Red Dead 2, soooo

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2019/06/zelda_breath_of_the_wild_sequel_inspired_by_red_dead_redemption_2_says_aonuma

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Here's to hoping we have realistic horse balls, but now cel shaded.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Link's only voice lines are for sweet talking his horse

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

As long as they are learning the correct lesson from the R* online experience and doing absolutely nothing online, then good?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Just got BOTW yesterday and played for a few hours. It's good. Real good. Love that the game straight up tells you it's not going to hold your hand. And I've already encountered several situations where it was clear I could approach or solve them in multiple ways.

Has lots of fun getting to the last of the first four shrines. All the exploration and experimentation involved in making some cold resistance food, using runes, coming across enemies unexpectedly, and successfully making the climb with time ticking down is so fulfilling. I get what everybody means when they hype up the open world aspect and the sense of adventure.

Wish inventory was more accessible and faster to manage, though. Kind of annoying that if I open a chest and my inventory is full I have to deal with the inventory and then re-open the chest. It would be nice if it asked me if I wanted to drop/replace an item.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

I never played any of those games, but my BOTW2 fantasy which will absolutely not happen is support for local multiplayer in some sense so my kid and I can buy two copies of the game and then run around a huge open world together loving up monsters.

Actually, are there any switch games like that that even bear a resemblance to BOTW? I know they won’t do it for 2 because it doesn’t really fit thematically.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

pentyne posted:

It was specifically a response to Oblivion and Skyrim, which both were extremely popular in Japan.

Re: BotW music

The music in BotW wasn't bad, it also wasn't memorable other than the brief interludes in which a classic tune was woven in. That's kinda the issue, really, it's just sorta... there. The most memorable thing is the open world slightly-drunk-guy-tapping-on-the-piano-in-a-lounge-while-smoking-a-cigarette-and-telling-a-story ditty and the shrine music, but that's more repetition than either being outstandingly good.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

in botw2 you can go anywhere in this wide open world but if you enter a house through a different door than the story expects you to it's game over

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Loucks posted:

I never played any of those games, but my BOTW2 fantasy which will absolutely not happen is support for local multiplayer in some sense so my kid and I can buy two copies of the game and then run around a huge open world together loving up monsters.

Actually, are there any switch games like that that even bear a resemblance to BOTW? I know they won’t do it for 2 because it doesn’t really fit thematically.

They're not really anything like BOTW in particular, but some of the Lego games might kind of fit the bill for what you're looking for? They've always had local co-op as an integral feature, and most of the more recent ones are at least semi open world.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

They’re re-doing all the Lego Star Wars games into a new game “Skywalker Saga” that covers all 9 movies. I’m really looking forward family time co-op when it releases but it got bumped to 2021. I’m hoping they skewer the last couple movies too...

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Zore posted:

GUN, Oddworld: Stranger's wrath, Hard West, West of Loathing, Call of Juarez... Uh can't remember any others but still :colbert:

It was a weirdly popular genre in 2005

I didn't play half of those but I was thinking of a game that is both open world and a Western.
Borderlands kinda counts, I guess :v:

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
For how central to the game it is, cooking still feels like a big missed opportunity. Once I figured out that the specific menu items provided less buffs than just a stack of 2-3 stat boosting items plus a rock salt, I kinda gave up on checking out the posters on the walls. I'm really curious what happened with cooking during the dev cycle, it seems like either I'm doing something terribly wrong or there was a fairly huge oversight made early on in the process.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
I think cooking could have used a checklist of some kind. It’s fun to see the different meal types, even if it doesn’t matter, and a checklist would encourage the player to play around with this system. It’d justify the existence of the fancy predefined meals, too.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
It's a travesty that BotW will never have Skyrim's modding scene because something something The Great Hyrulian Baking Show

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

A recipe book would be neat, compiling both the recipes you’ve discovered yourself and also ones you find in people’s diaries, receive by completing simple tasks or paying a merchant, etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

The Maroon Hawk posted:

A recipe book would be neat, compiling both the recipes you’ve discovered yourself and also ones you find in people’s diaries, receive by completing simple tasks or paying a merchant, etc

Yeah, I'd love a recipe book like that. I feel like there's a lot you could do by simply building off of BotW. For example, I'd love the opportunity to build some more towns (like Tarrey town) to help the world feel more "lived in" and recover from Calamity Ganon. And maybe some treasure maps/hints that lead to more significant treasures. And more lore of the land. Also you should be able to pet dogs (and cats).