Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Jesse is characterized as someone we don’t always see: the hopeful loner. She treats everyone she meets with respect, isn’t needlessly quippy or coy, asks direct questions and never comes off as stupid because we as the player (Or Polaris) get to hear how much she thinks things through.

She just so fully realized compared to an infinite roster of nobodies, male or female.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i touched on it in my last post, but jesse also has a line or two about having worked the same kind of stuff that ahti does in the past and i feel like that kind of thing really helps bring her character out. i dunno where i first saw/read it but someone once said their grandma would tell them that you can tell the difference between someone who's had to clean a bathroom before and someone who hasn't.

jesse is very solidly the former

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

One thing I'm really noticing in this playthrough that could use some improvement is the guidance system for pointing you towards objectives. It just seems like it's all over the place without any particular rhyme or reason. Sometimes your resonance buddy is just hanging out in front of doorways where you need to go and such, and sometimes the game's just like "I dunno, get to this room across the map somehow I guess". I feel like a bit more guidance would be welcome, particularly given the fairly unhelpful map interface. Especially in the first playthrough I was constantly lost, and even now I'm sometimes wandering around for way too long figuring out where to go.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

HMS Beagle posted:

I love how Jesse is just totally into all this poo poo that is happening.

Right towards the very end of the game where Jesse declares,"I AM the Director of the FBC" is such a :hellyeah: moment.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

jesse has a line at some point about the poo poo there actually feeling welcoming and normal to her, which i figure is probably due to all the plot-related events that have things to do with her childhood.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Also, love it in the post-game when Jesse offers Pope the new role as Head of Research, and after she accepts Jesse admits,"Oh good, because I didn't have anybody else lined up for it!" :allears:

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
I am playing AWE now and I am really enjoying it.

Can't wait for ALAN WAKE: RETURN

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Johnny Joestar posted:

Jesse is very solidly the Former

Hmm now this is a Game Theory I haven't heard yet

edit:

Jesse: Funny thing, I've been a janitor before. *Jesse rubs her chin while thinking back to that time when she was a gigantic one-eyed slug creature with spider crab limbs, each holding a mop or bucket*

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I appreciate that Jesse's a character that shows up in a dire situation and already has powers.

jkyuusai
Jun 26, 2008

homegrown man milk
Probably another part of the reason she stands out from the typical protag is because she spent time in therapy trying to work through her poo poo! (though I guess it's ambiguous whether this was 100% voluntary given one of the audio logs)

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Johnny Joestar posted:

i touched on it in my last post, but jesse also has a line or two about having worked the same kind of stuff that ahti does in the past and i feel like that kind of thing really helps bring her character out. i dunno where i first saw/read it but someone once said their grandma would tell them that you can tell the difference between someone who's had to clean a bathroom before and someone who hasn't.

jesse is very solidly the former

In the latest DLC she talks about riding the rails so yes, Jesse’s very much a drifter.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

jkyuusai posted:

Probably another part of the reason she stands out from the typical protag is because she spent time in therapy trying to work through her poo poo! (though I guess it's ambiguous whether this was 100% voluntary given one of the audio logs)

Regarding that... was the therapist an FBC plant or were they just spying on their sessions? I kept thinking they were an agent but then one of the records seemed to indicate not

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
I opened the map while taking the elevator from Parapsychology to the Ritual Division and oh. my. god. that is such a good nod to how elevators can obfuscate player movement in game/map design which makes sense the more you think about it playing the game later--those areas are NOT directly above/below each other!!! why are they able to be reached by each other from an elevator?!?!?!

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Willie Tomg posted:

I opened the map while taking the elevator from Parapsychology to the Ritual Division and oh. my. god. that is such a good nod to how elevators can obfuscate player movement in game/map design which makes sense the more you think about it playing the game later--those areas are NOT directly above/below each other!!! why are they able to be reached by each other from an elevator?!?!?!

Because Oldest House. What did you expect from a building that rearranges the lobby you first arrive in as soon as you turn around?

jkyuusai
Jun 26, 2008

homegrown man milk

hobbesmaster posted:

Regarding that... was the therapist an FBC plant or were they just spying on their sessions? I kept thinking they were an agent but then one of the records seemed to indicate not

Yeah best I could tell it's left open to interpretation.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Jesse remembering the name of the movie is Shawshank Redemption as the first thing that happens post-main game absolutely slayed me.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Willie Tomg posted:

Hah, never thought to try that before. That's funny

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

weekly font posted:

Jesse remembering the name of the movie is Shawshank Redemption as the first thing that happens post-main game absolutely slayed me.

God yes I loved that so much.

Also re: therapy, I was pretty bummed at the notion that the therapist was an FBC agent but later in the game one of the files you finds seems to strongly indicate to me at least that the therapy and the therapist were genuine, and the FBC just managed to get their hands on the records later.

Similarly, Jesse discovers in the P7 chamber that the FBC had her under surveillance, but there's at least one audio log where it seems clear that they also lost track of her multiple times and were desperate enough to try to mine Dylan for info that might find her.

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

So this is a bit of a weird question, but does the game cast doubt on whether Dylan Faden actually "exists"? In the main game Hiss-possessed Dylan describes a dream where he was Jesse, then notes that the two of them have androgynous names, while later in the Foundation DLC there's a moment when the Board addresses Jesse as "Jesse/Dylan Faden". Right now I'm half-seriously thinking that Jesse may have originally been an only child who wanted a sibling she could have kids-book adventures with, and one of the worlds she visited with the slide projector introduced her to something that heard her wishes and created Dylan as a sort of Adam-from-Eve's rib thing.

I also want to say that while Control was going for more of a paranormal adventure vibe than straight horror, I actually found the reports from the Ordinary AWE genuinely harrowing. Sure it may just be Remedy writing a knockoff of The Tommyknockers, but the fact that the documents were mostly centered around Jesse and Dylan's perspectives as children just made everything that much worse to me.

Marshal Radisic fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Sep 15, 2020

jkyuusai
Jun 26, 2008

homegrown man milk

Marshal Radisic posted:

So this is a bit of a weird question, but does the game cast doubt on whether Dylan Faden actually "exists"? In the main game Hiss-possessed Dylan describes a dream where he *was* Jesse, then notes that the two of them have androgynous names, while later in the Foundation DLC there's a moment when the Board addresses Jesse as "Jesse/Dylan Faden". Right now I'm half-seriously thinking that Jesse may have originally been an only child who wanted a sibling she could have kids-book adventures with, and one of the worlds she visited with the slide projector introduced her to something that heard her wishes and created Dylan as a sort of Adam-from-Eve's rib thing.

I also want to say that while Control was going for more of a paranormal adventure vibe than straight horror, I actually found the reports from the Ordinary AWE genuinely harrowing. Sure it may just be Remedy writing a knockoff of The Tommyknockers, but the fact that the documents were mostly centered around Jesse and Dylan's perspective just made everything that much worse to me.

Yeah I wondered about that too. He spent so much time talking about it that I figured something more was going to come of it.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I thought it was just more of a sPoOpY tWiNs trope.

In the book The Scar, about a floating pirate city on the ocean, the rulers are called like The Lovers or something. They are a brother sister who are both covered in identical scars and tattoos, and sometimes they split up for raids, and when they come back, they always have new scars and tats in the same places.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
jesse says "oh what the gently caress?!" really well

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.
Ultimate Edition owners who have completed all the secrets: Are you able to wear the cat ears outside of the Foundation DLC area? I've seen rumors that they disappear if you leave the area. I only own the Epic Store version and can wear the cat ears everywhere.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
:same:

Apparently that rumor was not correct or it got changed in the patch, I noticed they were on in Executive Sector and went to the trouble of putting them back so I didn't wear them all throughout AWE.

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

The final Hartmann fight is a bitch, I gave up after several tries last night. Gonna try again later and take the suggestion to get near him while shooting.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the final boss of the alan wake dlc didn't give me too much trouble, but part of that was probably because whenever the power cubes plonked out of their sockets i would frantically and immediately go to whip them back in no matter the risk to my health

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Gordon Shumway posted:

The final Hartmann fight is a bitch, I gave up after several tries last night. Gonna try again later and take the suggestion to get near him while shooting.

AWE final boss: When he tries to turn the lights off, unload on him. If you do enough damage quickly enough you can stagger him and cancel it

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

On the Jesse/Dylan stuff, it's probably just Remedy leaving in sequel hooks. They love to do that, even if they have no guarantee that a sequel is ever going to come. Like Alan Wake's "It's not a lake, it's an ocean." Vague but interesting enough that people still discuss it from time to time years later.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Johnny Joestar posted:

the final boss of the alan wake dlc didn't give me too much trouble, but part of that was probably because whenever the power cubes plonked out of their sockets i would frantically and immediately go to whip them back in no matter the risk to my health

acksplode posted:

AWE final boss: When he tries to turn the lights off, unload on him. If you do enough damage quickly enough you can stagger him and cancel it

My problem was generally in trying to do the latter, then failing and having my power meter too low to do the former. Just sitting there trying to recharge it, then whoops, the boss is healthy again.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Captain Hygiene posted:

My problem was generally in trying to do the latter, then failing and having my power meter too low to do the former. Just sitting there trying to recharge it, then whoops, the boss is healthy again.

It kind of seems like there are mechanics to this fight that I missed. For me it was just: burn through his health bar > he turns the lights off and gets a second health bar > turn the lights back on > burn through second health bar.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Triarii posted:

It kind of seems like there are mechanics to this fight that I missed. For me it was just: burn through his health bar > he turns the lights off and gets a second health bar > turn the lights back on > burn through second health bar.

He regularly tries to turn off the lights and recharge that second bar, if you're unlucky/not very fast it's pretty easy to get in a loop of wearing him down then loving up while he completely regenerates. I spent over twenty minutes on that part even after turning on invincibility.

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

Captain Hygiene posted:

He regularly tries to turn off the lights and recharge that second bar, if you're unlucky/not very fast it's pretty easy to get in a loop of wearing him down then loving up while he completely regenerates. I spent over twenty minutes on that part even after turning on invincibility.

And if you get in that loop of him regenerating while the lights are off, your ranger backup is killed and a bunch of Hiss enemies spawn in and kill you while you're trying to focus on him.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Hard to believe we're coming up on the first anniversary of Jesse's road trip

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

I burned through the final boss in maybe three, four minutes? Something asinine. Wait for the wind-up, hit with a quick launch to cancel his whole attack and light switch sequence, unload with Mjolnjr, hit with a triple launch as your magic powers bar is refilled, and just keep on him. So long as you maintain enough mojo to be able to throw a super quick launch and stagger him out of the routine you can basically just bully him like it's nothing.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

You know for being equated with swords/hammers/etc. of legend, the service weapon really isn't all that impressive. Outside of the convenience of never having to reload and of providing a choice of several weapons in a compact package, it seems to have the same stopping power as any of those weapons normally do. It's like if Excalibur was a standard sword that just managed to keep itself sharpened and oiled, and could fold up and fit in your pocket when you didn't need it. Nice-to-have features, but not functionally better than any old sword.

Maybe if the hiss had been invulnerable to normal bullets and could only be slain with the shotgun of the gods it would have been more impressive, but your ranger pals or mind controlled hiss can kill them with normal guns, so that can't be it.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i feel like a lot of the power comes from being connected to the board and being able to do parautilitarian things. having a cool weapon thing bound to you is an extra perk.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

I dunno, I think it's quite the opposite and is quite a weapon of legend. It follows you into the Astral Plane where I'm sure any normal gun wouldn't come with you, and is actually effective vs a lot of the big side bosses like Former and Mold-1, The Anchor where you wouldn't really expect a regular gun to be much health.

I can agree with it being a bit underwhelming in practice, but who says the legendary weapons themselves weren't exaggerated beyond belief and actually just kind boring and normal-ish if you actually saw them in person?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Following on the earlier discussion about the mysteries surrounding Jesse & Dylan, I've found a thoroughly unexpected piece of information:

They're not even twins :aaaaa:

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I mean she calls him her baby brother

I wish guns were so cool irl that a pistol that morphs into a rocket launcher was normie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

site posted:

I mean she calls him her baby brother

I have an IRL twin and there's a lot of joking like that even though we're minutes apart, it didn't even jump out to me. Anyways it's not actually a huge revelation or anything, I just laughed when I found it after the creepy twin chat earlier and realizing I'd been assuming that trope too every time I've played through.