Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.

DJExile posted:

drat, that's awesome as hell

On top of that, I posted it on the forum where I met the woman too and a guy PM'ed me and asked if I was a US Men's National Team fan. When I told him I was, he said he's on staff with them and is going to send me a care package of USMNT stuff. Having a pretty good morning so far!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Daric posted:

On top of that, I posted it on the forum where I met the woman too and a guy PM'ed me and asked if I was a US Men's National Team fan. When I told him I was, he said he's on staff with them and is going to send me a care package of USMNT stuff. Having a pretty good morning so far!

oh drat that owns so hard!

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Daric posted:

gently caress yeah :toot:

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Daric posted:

Met a woman that makes custom headcovers. She can find material to use if you want, but I sent her this old jersey I had:

and she made this:

Super happy with it. It even has some kind of liner on the inside so it's tighter than it looks and holds onto the driver like any store-bought headcover should. Works much better than the expensive Husky headcover I bought for my 3-wood.

Beautiful.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Daric posted:

Met a woman that makes custom headcovers. She can find material to use if you want, but I sent her this old jersey I had:

and she made this:

Super happy with it. It even has some kind of liner on the inside so it's tighter than it looks and holds onto the driver like any store-bought headcover should. Works much better than the expensive Husky headcover I bought for my 3-wood.

Pepperidge Farms remembers that goal...sweet revenge.

Daric posted:

Hopey shmokes!

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

USGA Email posted:

I want to make sure that you, as one of our valued USGA Members, are among the first to receive official word of what we will announce this morning: the USGA will establish “Golf House Pinehurst” in North Carolina, consisting of a new equipment-testing facility, innovation hub and visitor center. We will also contest five U.S. Open Championships on Pinehurst Resort & Country Club’s famed Course No. 2, taking the unprecedented step of making Pinehurst the USGA’s first official anchor site for the championship.

The newly scheduled U.S. Opens will take place in 2029, 2035, 2041 and 2047, in addition to the 2024 championship that was previously announced.
The commitment solidifies our strategy to stage the U.S. Open at America’s iconic venues with greater frequency and launches a new era for USGA championships.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I understand the USGA is headquartered in the middle of New Jersey for historical reasons, but it's not really close to NYC and they should've moved it years ago. Pinehurst makes a lot more sense but it's still not accessible, kinda like how the World Golf Hall of Fame is in the middle of nowhere.

It sounds like the USGA wants to have a rota like the British Open, but the British Open doesn't include new courses in the way the US Open has wanted to. Maybe they're gonna leave that to the PGA Championship? Naturally, Pebble Beach will be their west coast anchor site.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Josh Lyman posted:

I understand the USGA is headquartered in the middle of New Jersey for historical reasons, but it's not really close to NYC and they should've moved it years ago. Pinehurst makes a lot more sense but it's still not accessible, kinda like how the World Golf Hall of Fame is in the middle of nowhere.

It sounds like the USGA wants to have a rota like the British Open, but the British Open doesn't include new courses in the way the US Open has wanted to. Maybe they're gonna leave that to the PGA Championship? Naturally, Pebble Beach will be their west coast anchor site.

Uhm sir, the world golf hall of fame is in Saint Augustine Florida, hardly in the middle of nowhere :)

There are 3 excellent golf courses on site and many more in the area and you're not too far from Orlando as well.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

mattfl posted:

Uhm sir, the world golf hall of fame is in Saint Augustine Florida, hardly in the middle of nowhere :)

There are 3 excellent golf courses on site and many more in the area and you're not too far from Orlando as well.

The King, the Bear, and the Black Knight. Yes we've all seen the commercials.

Josh Lyman posted:

The USGA headquarters is really in the middle of nowhere. It's also a dogshit drive from any direction you're coming from, 78/287/206 sucks.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Shrapnig posted:

The King, the Bear, and the Black Knight. Yes we've all seen the commercials.

lol ya they are annoying, but they are great tracks if a little expensive at times.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

mattfl posted:

lol ya they are annoying, but they are great tracks if a little expensive at times.

What will this generation of hall of famers be called?

Trying to think of an endearing nicknames for Bryson and DJ.

The Bison and The Blow?

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

The Thicccness and Dusty

Popero
Apr 17, 2001

.406/.553/.735
Now those are two courses that could get me to go to bumfuck Florida

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Can you imagine how insufferable Bryson would be if he was talking about a course he designed?

Also I love that today is round 1 of the first tournament of the 2021 season and we still have a couple 2020 majors to play. Are they getting rolled into the FedEx cup standings for next year?

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.

Suprfli6 posted:

Can you imagine how insufferable Bryson would be if he was talking about a course he designed?

Also I love that today is round 1 of the first tournament of the 2021 season and we still have a couple 2020 majors to play. Are they getting rolled into the FedEx cup standings for next year?

You see, this course is actually 13 holes and each hole is a slight dogleg right to conform to the fibonacci sequence so by the time you finish 13 you've gone through the golden ratio...

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Suprfli6 posted:

I hate the stupid wrap around season thing and never understood it. Why can’t they just do a yearly season that starts at the beginning of the year.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

mattfl posted:

I hate the stupid wrap around season thing and never understood it. Why can’t they just do a yearly season that starts at the beginning of the year.

Originally it was to get guys like Tiger and Phil to give a gently caress about tournaments in the calendar year after the FedEx Cup ended. Remember back in the day Tiger just wouldn't play competitive golf from like September to January.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

John Daly announced he has bladder cancer :smith:

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
Bought my first driver today! I had been trying drivers at Golf & Ski in Hudson NH but they were short on demo shafts, so I went to Joe & Leigh's in Easton MA. I walked in and told them what I was looking for and what the issues with my swing were, and the fitter handed me a 9 degree G410 LST with the Ping Tour 65g x-stiff shaft, which I started pounding. We played around with a couple of heads and shafts but came back to that configuration.

I asked him if I could buy it and he said they were backordered with Ping until like January, but he could sell me the demo unit since he didn't feel the need to demo any clubs he couldn't sell. It was in like-new condition; he said relatively few people came in needing the LST 9 degree as opposed to the SFT/Max or higher lofts. The club/shaft retails new for $399, and used on 2nd Swing for $350, but he ended up selling it to me for $275 and waiving the fitting fee since I only really tried the G410 (as I asked).

I've still got to work on my slice (even with the LST and the weight all the way to the draw, when I miss I miss to the right), but my numbers looked okay overall (or at least that's what the fitter / my brother said), at least given my new-ness to the club, and I'm excited to practice more with it!

Petey fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Sep 11, 2020

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

That’s awesome! Reminds me of my current driver journey that started in 2011. I purchased a used Callaway FT-9 iMix from a PGA Superstore for like $90 but the adapter was stripped and unremovable. I called Callaway and they offered me a new Razr replacement. Being a Titleist fanboy, I wanted a Titleist 910D3 instead and had gotten fitted for one at Edwin Watts, so a deal was struck: I would ask for a generic 9.5* stiff replacement and Edwin Watts would “buy” it from me at their wholesale cost which I would use toward the purchase of the 910D3 for a net cost of ~$160. I eventually upgraded to the 913D3 and 915D3 heads basically for free, and then my current shaft is a tour proto I received for testing in 2018. So I’ve basically been rocking a $250 driver for 9 years. :shobon:

It’s definitely cheaper to buy online and used if you know your specs, but there’s no substitute for relationships with independent golf stores.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Sep 12, 2020

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I’m playing at The Engineers Country Club in Roslyn, NY Wednesday. I’m pretty excited!

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
Bought a Rapsodo MLM, built a tee box, and hit a bunch of shots today. Then I realized it wasn’t picking up the whiffle balls, so guess I need a net! I’ll post up a better review when I get some time with the Rapsodo.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

During today’s coverage of the ANA Inspiration, Golf Channel’s feed cut out for 33 minutes so they had to play yesterday’s coverage. I’ve never seen that happen before.

In other major tournament news, the US Open is next week. Get hype! :woop:

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Sep 13, 2020

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

I’ve played 2 US Open courses (Bethpage and Torrey) and ive gotta say I look forward to watching the pros play those a lot more than a random private club that wouldn’t even let me use the driving range. I really want to take a UK trip and try to play like 3-4 courses on the Open Championship rota. I think that’s one of the coolest things about golf; that I could call up a course and book a tee time and play the exact same setup as the best players in the world competing for millions of dollars.

Augusta gets a pass because it’s Augusta

Willzilla
Aug 16, 2006

Rawr

Suprfli6 posted:

I’ve played 2 US Open courses (Bethpage and Torrey) and ive gotta say I look forward to watching the pros play those a lot more than a random private club that wouldn’t even let me use the driving range. I really want to take a UK trip and try to play like 3-4 courses on the Open Championship rota. I think that’s one of the coolest things about golf; that I could call up a course and book a tee time and play the exact same setup as the best players in the world competing for millions of dollars.

Augusta gets a pass because it’s Augusta

i'm sure it'll never happen so as not to sully The Brand™ but how much do you think Augusta could get away with charging for a round? $20,000? I have no idea

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

Got out for a round for the first time all year today. The head of my driver snapped off and flew into a water hazard on the 6th hole. I was just barely able to fish it out with an extendable ball retriever. The weather was great at least

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

:siren: U.S. Open thread is up! https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3940372 :siren:

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Uh, watching a replay of Champions Tour final round. They have full galleries??

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Halo14 posted:

Uh, watching a replay of Champions Tour final round. They have full galleries??

Last tournament was in South Dakota, which didn't go on any restrictions.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
I just picked up a mizuno mp18 mmcflihietcetc 2 iron to replace my driver. I’ve been playing a 3 and 4 off the tee all season with good results so gently caress it, right?

It looks cool anyways.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

DJExile posted:

Last tournament was in South Dakota, which didn't go on any restrictions.

Oh ok, thought all tours followed the same rules but it's per State. Thanks.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Mcqueen posted:

I just picked up a mizuno mp18 mmcflihietcetc 2 iron to replace my driver. I’ve been playing a 3 and 4 off the tee all season with good results so gently caress it, right?

It looks cool anyways.

I carry my 2 iron to hold skywards if a thunderstorm rolls over during a game. Guaranteed safety.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Played a course the day after extreme punching yesterday. Greens were generally appropriately dressed, but not every hole. Short putts were almost unmakeable unless you slammed them home. Tee boxes had been punched by the morning maintenance guys and the plugs left, so footing was bad off the tee all day. But, looks like they're doing it right to get the course in good shape going forward. I've just never played off tee boxes with plugs like that.

Played behind a four-ball with older couple (to me, remember I'm a boomer) who were typical regular golfers....short, but middle of the fairway. Other couple arrived at tee box five minutes after tee time, the man in shorts and a t-shirt, the woman in denim jorts that didn't fit, judging from the nine holes of watching her yank them up after every shot.

Played the front twice, back was being punched. First three holes, hit same drive, same approach, better putts second time, same result though. In total had four holes that played almost identically both times.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
I think I just learned to finally pronate my wrist slightly and gained some yardage

But now I don't know what club to hit, wtf

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
New driver status: acquired.

Happened to check golf galaxys site last night and they were out of G400s.

Checked again this morning and lo and behold they had like two in stock at my local GG.

She’s a beaut Clark.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
Anyone have recommendations for insulated golf pants for cold weather? Something that looked like clean khakis but had a warm flannel or equivalent layer would be ideal.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Petey posted:

Anyone have recommendations for insulated golf pants for cold weather? Something that looked like clean khakis but had a warm flannel or equivalent layer would be ideal.

Under Armour has a cold weather golf pant now, I've been really happy with their stuff.

You could also get a base layer to go with your regular golf pants, but some of those get grabby with the texture of the inside of the pant legs and makes a weird feeling.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

Petey posted:

I got a few pairs of insulated pants from Costco last year, one black one khaki. Wore them through December and they kept me pretty warm.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Douchebag posted:

I got a few pairs of insulated pants from Costco last year, one black one khaki. Wore them through December and they kept me pretty warm.

Yeah, there's usually a couple of brands at Costco.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
I thought pxg was supposed to be some sort of exclusive club and then I saw a commercial of theirs and it was like watching a 2002 Dodge Ram commercial. Hella embarrassing.