Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Teeter posted:

Gamepass just added Disgaea 4 Complete+. Is it cool to jump in here or is there any reason to seek out an earlier one?

I haven't played 4, but there's no reason to go find earlier ones. They might make callbacks to the other games in the DLCs or a reference here or they're not related, aside from Disgaea D2 (not to be confused with Disgaea 2) which is a sequel to the first Disgaea.

I really like 5, there's a farm for your weapon enhancements, so it's much easier to grind out +300% Experience for all your party members.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Ciaphas posted:

The PC port of Disgaea 5 came out earlier for some reason, and the way I hear it D5 is the better game

Here is a reddit discussion on the topic. I like 5 better but I'm huge on quality of life improvements and D5 has good ones.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Disgaea 5 is kind of the best distillation of all of the appeal of the Disgaea with none (or very little) of the jank/tedium from earlier games. It's got a lot of QoL improvements. 4+ probably wouldn't be a bad entry into the series either, but if you were pretty sure you'd only ever play one Disgaea game, it should probably be 5.

The only caveat I'll give is that once you've played 4 or 5, the earlier ones will probably feel impossibly grindy and janky. Somebody in the JRPG thread was just talking about going back to the first game after playing 5 and how there's some serious whiplash involved.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Disgaea 5 is actually one of the more grindy ones if you intend to beat every single post-game boss and do everything it has to offer, but if you're doing that you probably know what you're in for; it might even be a positive.

In Disgaea 1 in particular you can kill Prinny Baal within like a hour of starting the game with "exploits" (that are really just intelligent use of system mechanics) in the PS2 version, although some of the re-releases on other platforms patched it out.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
Is The Outer Worlds actually worth playing or not? I like talky RPGs with combat, I like sci-fi stuff - but I don't know anyone who's actually played it.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

It's very mediocre. By the time you leave the first planet you've kind of seen everything as far as the level of interactivity and simple-minded combat goes. The writing is distinctly less sharp than New Vegas, which is altogether disappointing since it was made by the same developer 11 years prior. Feels like a budget Fallout made by people who have been out of practice since the last console generation. It's on Gamepass so if you're subscribed you can check it out there. I did and would not recommend paying real actual money to own it.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

outer worlds is a "choices and consequences" sort of RPG where generally the choices feel like they don't have the weight they should in an off-putting way that took me out of the game

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

The hype I had for that game carried me through it and temporarily blinded me to just how crappy it really was. Reviewers at the time seemed to have the same problem, because it was initially pretty well received but people have definitely tempered their feelings about it since then.

Strongly agree about the first planet being good enough. The beginning was fun and had promise. But you can truly stop after that planet and be done. Probably the right way to play that one, honestly.

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Is The Outer Worlds actually worth playing or not? I like talky RPGs with combat, I like sci-fi stuff - but I don't know anyone who's actually played it.

Nth-ing the meh on this. As someone who loved New Vegas and just wanted that in space Outer Worlds really disappointed. There's plenty of talking, but very little has any meaning or is interesting at all, and all the companions are basically store-brand Firefly characters.

Cliff
Nov 12, 2008

Yeah it's definitely just OK. None of the companions outside of Parvati really grabbed me and the hypercapitalism is so much of a caricature that once you get through Groundbreaker nothing new will surprise you.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Outer worlds is fine if you desperately want a choices and talking heads rpg from 10 years ago. It’s exactly that with no real evolution of any of the systems. It reminds me a lot of shenmue 3 where it’s basically a time capsule kind of game.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
Thanks for the responses re Outer Worlds - think I'll give it a miss!

Lemon
May 22, 2003

I'm looking for a game that scratches an itch in the same way that Hacket, Uplink and Cultist Simulator did for me. I think what I liked about them was:

Single screen interface - the console in the hacking games and the board in Cultist.
Uncovering information/systems - this is probably the main thing. You're given pointers, but pretty much left to your own devices otherwise and you need to figure out how things fit together.
Open/ongoing-world-ish - Uplink probably did this the best, with all of the servers you can poke around in, the job board, etc. Due to the limited interface, it did a good job of feeling like an actual ongoing world you were interacting with.

Not sure if it really makes sense but if anyone's got any ideas feel free to throw 'em at me!

Games I've already played that might fit the bill are hackmud (excellent but sadly dead now), Grey Hack (just a little too advanced for me but seems great) and the Football Manager series (not quite like the others but pretty much the best in terms of a simulated world that chugs along with out you and also the menu-driven interface).

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
Outer wilds ticks all boxes except the first, and is an exceptional game. Same goes for obra dinn and the witness.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
It seems that the new Necromunda has the same problems than the old Mordheim, sometimes quite literally multiplying them by 3. Are there any games around where you build a mercenary/military squad where each character is unique, has a good amount of customization and keeps adding traits/injuries/experiences to your units so you feel attached to them? I've already played Battle Brothers, Jagged Alliance and Blood Bowl to death . Xcom/Darkest Dungeon units are too samey to me.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Fat Samurai posted:

It seems that the new Necromunda has the same problems than the old Mordheim, sometimes quite literally multiplying them by 3. Are there any games around where you build a mercenary/military squad where each character is unique, has a good amount of customization and keeps adding traits/injuries/experiences to your units so you feel attached to them? I've already played Battle Brothers, Jagged Alliance and Blood Bowl to death . Xcom/Darkest Dungeon units are too samey to me.

Did you like Battle Brothers? Does it fit the criteria that you're describing here? Cause that sounds fun

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Fat Samurai posted:

Have you tried Warhammer: Mechanicus? All of the character goes to your command staff rather than your units, but there's plenty of customization.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Fat Samurai posted:

Maaaaaaybe Battletech? The mercs you hire aren't nearly as unique as JA2 ones but they've got more going on than xcom troopers. The customization is split up between your mercs and the giant robots they stomp around in. The base game pops up on deal sites for sub- :10bux: sometimes.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Thanks for the recs. I've played all of them, sadly.

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Did you like Battle Brothers? Does it fit the criteria that you're describing here? Cause that sounds fun

Yeah, it's pretty good. Not what I was looking for, exactly, but it's a good game. Good build variety, and the sound design makes hits sound like they hurt, which is a huge plus on my book.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Fat Samurai posted:

Maybe Templar Battleforce would be right up your alley.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Angry Lobster posted:

Maybe Templar Battleforce would be right up your alley.

Thanks, this seems interesting and it's on offer.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Turdlord Bumholefarts.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Fat Samurai posted:

I haven't played it myself, but would Xcom: Chimera squad be more to your liking? I understand it's essentially Xcom 2 but with squadmates who are a small team of hand-crafted individuals rather than a pool of randomly generated guys

EDIT: Wyldermyth and Thea 2: The Shattering might also be interesting. The former is about self-contained stories/myths which are semi-randomly generated, using randomly-generated but tweakable heroes who form bands of adventurers. You can transfer them from one story to another. It's in early access right now and a bit starved in content but it sounds like it might hit some good notes for you. Thea 2 is somewhat of a mix between survival/crafting, and an RPG with characters who are customizable enough with gear and skills.

Deltasquid fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Sep 19, 2020

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Wildermyth is really good yeah

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.
What are some cool VR games for an Oculus Rift S that an eight year old boy can play?

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007

Boz0r posted:

What are some cool VR games for an Oculus Rift S that an eight year old boy can play?

Superhot? It's violent but it's all very abstract violence, and the game itself is amazing and probably the best implementation of VR I've personally experienced.

Subnautica VR is good, especially the early areas which are quite chill.

Also beatsaber, but I think you might have to download song to have any good ones, the game shipped with a very limited selection.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

thekeeshman posted:

Subnautica VR is good, especially the early areas which are quite chill.

For the love of God, don't traumatize the poor lad. Maybe Moss?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Job Simulator.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Probably a long shot, but are there any games that are like "less hard" version of MGS5? I really like the premise with the mercs and base building but the gameplay doesn't really click for me for some reason.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

If you like the idea of building up a mercenary company in between sneaking missions, go for Peace Walker. It's got a lot of limitations thoughbecause it's originally a PSP game. If you can't really handle the sneaking, I guess maybe XCOM Enemy Unknown?

MGS5 is also one of those games that can take a fair amount of work to understand the basics of how you're supposed to approach problems, so you could also try asking for advice or watching a video to help you figure out how to get into the groove of the game. Stealth games have always had pretty delicate balances of difficulty.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Yeah I mean I am bad at videogames as is, but MGS is a game that I absolutely love in theory but find to be brutally hard to the point that I went through a few PS1 controllers back in the day.

Ritz On Toppa Ritz
Oct 14, 2006

You're not allowed to crumble unless I say so.
Any good games where you could just leisurely drive around with little hassle?

By little hassle I mean not needing to unlock decent cars or the rest of the map/courses - I want to load it up grab my controller and drive

I haven’t really played any racing games but I’ve played open world games with driving

I used to play GTA San Andreas just cruising the highway but I never liked the controls

For PC using Xbox controller

Not interested in wheel/paddles ‘driving experience’

just some low hassle chill gaming

I’d look into non driving games too since I’ve never sought out chill games before so I wonder if there’s some genre defying stuff

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Fairly sure you want Burnout Paradise.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

Cracker King posted:

I used to play GTA San Andreas just cruising the highway but I never liked the controls

Watchdogs 2 is free on EGS right now.
GTA-like where you can just go in, ignore the missions and drive around.
Driving controls are different I think.
But its mostly the same.

I used to do that in Saints Row 2, just load it up and drive around listening to the radio.
hated the GTA driving mechanics but loved SR driving.

OgNar fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Sep 21, 2020

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

EdsTeioh posted:

Yeah I mean I am bad at videogames as is, but MGS is a game that I absolutely love in theory but find to be brutally hard to the point that I went through a few PS1 controllers back in the day.

All of the MGS games have that weird quality where playing the game like it is presented doesn't really work. Like just getting into the role of sneaky army man and behaving like you believe a sneaky army man should will usually lead to failure. Instead you're forced to get into the mindset of the games' systems and how to use or exploit them. I still think they're fun, but if you step back to look at the second-to-second actions of the main character on the screen they are pretty far removed from what is presented as happening in the game at that point.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Cracker King posted:

Any good games where you could just leisurely drive around with little hassle?

By little hassle I mean not needing to unlock decent cars or the rest of the map/courses - I want to load it up grab my controller and drive

I haven’t really played any racing games but I’ve played open world games with driving

For PC using Xbox controller

Not interested in wheel/paddles ‘driving experience’

just some low hassle chill gaming

I’d look into non driving games too since I’ve never sought out chill games before so I wonder if there’s some genre defying stuff

Euro/American Truck Simulator, and just turn off driving penalties in the options.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

EdsTeioh posted:

What are you struggling with in MGSV? What's not clicking? It's a really easy game that just gets easier over time, except for a few lovely missions.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

What are you struggling with in MGSV? What's not clicking? It's a really easy game that just gets easier over time, except for a few lovely missions.

Even the early missions go like this: land, try to creep up on the target, some dude sees me, whole base goes on alert, scramble for a hiding spot or creep around while these guys are after me, they go off alert, repeat, repeat, repeat.

Ritz On Toppa Ritz
Oct 14, 2006

You're not allowed to crumble unless I say so.
Thanks for all the recommendations.

I’ve actually played most of those games so it made me reassess what I have.

I’ll dip back into BurnOut Paradise and Just Cause 4 since I like to fly around in the wing suit if I have to bail from a bad turn off a cliff.

Now I want to know about more games that are more laid back.

I would probably be into those Truck simulators but I bet they need wheel/peddle setup as opposed to controller to feel right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

EdsTeioh posted:

Even the early missions go like this: land, try to creep up on the target, some dude sees me, whole base goes on alert, scramble for a hiding spot or creep around while these guys are after me, they go off alert, repeat, repeat, repeat.

Just shoot the guy who sees you when it slows down, it usually snaps straight to them. Just be sure to mark them beforehand so it’s easier to keep track, though by the time you get Quiet into your team the game ends up playing itself.

If you’re struggling with the tranq pistol’s bullet drop, just use an assault rifle until you get a stun-SMG. Anyone you want to capture, just punch them.

MGSV is the easiest game of its type by a country mile, so you probably won’t find anything even easier.