Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

G0RF posted:

Yeah, that’d be great. I remember that wonderful Town Hall in 2015 where Chris and Tony talked about their better-than-the-original Nemesis System. Love to hear how that’s coming along!

It's already in the game- just not in a way you could notice. (just like the room air system)

Calico taxxe:

Zazz Razzamatazz fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Sep 15, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

*shakes head, folds arms* nothing we can do for him, boys. It's terminal

lol do they really not see that this is not the glowing endorsement that they think it is?

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Viscous Soda posted:

IMO I don't think there's some CIG employee monitoring this thread as part of their job, or for some sort of nefarious espionage. However, I wouldn't be surprised if a few CIG employees that are Goons (and maybe read this thread), especially since a print out of :iiam: was seen in one of their offices way back.

No, look, we already established a long time ago that the truth has to be the funniest option (because that often actually was the case). I think it was called Crobbert's razor?

tuo fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Sep 15, 2020

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Lol, forget about Crash Bandicoot, goddamn sonic 3D also had object streaming in 1996 (on a Genesis of all things) or, as CIG likes to call it SSOCS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPoz_Jgmh-M

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

tuo posted:

No, look, we already established a long time ago that the truth has to be the funniest option (because that often actually was the case). I think it was called Crobbert's razor?

As opposed to Sandi's Razor, which determined which applicants were hired based on ... razor-related reasons.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

I shave with Standi

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

G0RF posted:

I wonder if Chris throws word salad toddler tantrums when Calder’s folks ask why it’s so late.

Wonder if Chris is being put on the hotspot elsewhere, is powerless to do anything about it, and is just lashing out at random customers to have a release valve.

It’s the same Chris we saw in the “I absolve myself” video. He resents being characterized as a liar or incompetent — he’s guilty only of optimism and ambition. It’s not a crime, dammit, it’s a virtue — stop criticizing me for it! You don’t understand game development!!!

This would aling well with posting at 2am

though this might depend if he was in the UK or LA +/- 8 hours puts it in more sane hours

I really hope CR comes to the table to asnwer that resonable but spicy retourt

Common Chris

quote:

It's september

But given the media waves his first post has generated I doubt it

tuo posted:

I shave with Stangli

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

tuo posted:

stupid guy imo

Pff, what do you know about lock outside with a hungry duck development?

As if you have ever been in that position.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

MedicineHut posted:

14:42 if the time thing doesn't work. I am not a developer, nevermind a network developer, but even I can tell by the answer of this dude that they are trully and royally hosed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKJfRwjA2RA&t=882s

"basically its just fixing a load of bugs that have crept in over the years"

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Joke Miriam posted:

Hi every few months I drop in here to ask what the current state of Star Citizen is, because I can't keep up with this thread and last i checked things were kind of slowing down.

Is Star Citizen good yet?

Look at this guy, not even owning an Idris.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Pixelate posted:

Not sure you argon believe this, but...

Chris Roberts lives!

quote:

A ballistic round passes through the ship's shield, which scrubs off some of its kinetic energy but not enough as the round's velocity was high as was its mass as it was an armor piercing round. It manages to penetrate the armor and strikes an internal component, say a power relay node (something else we are working on as part of the pipe system refactor). The power node takes damage giving it a chance to "misfire" while in use. A few minutes later the node does misfire, blowing its fuse and resulting in it catching fire. The crew of the ship doesn't realize a fire has broken out in one of the side corridors, as they are busily concentrating on fighting the ships attacking them. The fire starts to spread along flammable surfaces, and as the fire starts to engulf other components they also catch fire. The engineer on the bridge of the ship sees his console flash red giving him a warning that several components have failed and looking at his ships schematic he sees a fire has broken out below decks. The engineer decides to seal the bulkhead doors on the corridor to contain the fire but the doors have no power as the power node is out! He comms one of his crew mates to leave his turret and grab an extinguisher and put out the blaze which is slowly creeping towards the power plant room. Fire reaching a ship's power plant or it's ammo stores are two sure fire ways for your ship to go boom. With the physical damage system ships will no longer just explode when their hit points reach zero, they'll explode because something inside them went critical and exploded (due to damage or heat), which then damages everything else. Outside of that damage will affect the ability of the ship to function or it's structural integrity so they also could become a lifeless hulk as much as they could go up in a flash of light. When the crew member gets to the corridor where the fire has broken out is has already consumed a huge amount of oxygen in that "room" (the corridor) and has released noxious gasses, so the crew member can't breathe and quickly retreats to put on a fire resistant suit and helmet. The engineer in desperation manages to reroute power away from the destroyed node through a secondary node restoring power to enough of the bulkhead doors to allow him to contain the fire. Noticing that there is an external airlock in the sealed off area he opens the airlock, venting the oxygen in the sealed off corridors and rooms to the vacuum of space, depriving the fire of the ability to burn, putting most of it out. By this time the crew member is suitably dressed and can extinguish the fire that made it past the bulkhead door before it can grow again. The engineer then reseals the airlock and allows the life support system to replenish the air in the vented part of the ship. Once done the engineer opens up the bulkhead door allowing the crewmember in with a replacement fuse for the power node, restoring power to that section of the ship, then returns to his turret. It's been a close call but the ship is still alive and in the fight!

What I describe will be possible once we have finished and deployed the systems we're working on.

This is the single funniest SC thing yet

Seriously this man needs help

I want to print this out and pitch it to a game studio as a joke lmao

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Sep 15, 2020

Quill
Jan 19, 2004
What the gently caress is he going on about?

That quote is like getting a look inside Crobberts head and seeing that it's just him in there, half-buried under a mountain of popcorn and his own waste, watching a particularly lovely sci-fi B-movie.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Its game design by fan fiction.

Roberts just sits around all day writing super_duper_game.txt like a 13 year old who wrote a contest, with no concept of how games are made

Then some 100-200 employees across the planet have to each try to implement different interpretations of his ramblings simultaneously

And then of course nothing is compatible

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

AbstractNapper posted:

I liked it!

Still no idea how the gameplay will be like, but the visuals are superb.

Cliche's aside, it perfectly captures what I want from a next gen tie fighter vs xwing.

Its perfect.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Hey thread!

I had a long discussion with a backer recently and it really opened my eyes. The dude really only cared about getting progress updates and communication from developers. He was disappointed in (finished, released) crowdfunded games because they didn't provide enough communication and admitted he would have preferred if the games had taken longer to release and had more microtransactions so long as they provided more insight on the development process.

What I'm getting from this is that Star Citizen would make bank on a reality show.

busalover
Sep 12, 2020

Fruits of the sea posted:

Hey thread!

I had a long discussion with a backer recently and it really opened my eyes. The dude really only cared about getting progress updates and communication from developers. He was disappointed in (finished, released) crowdfunded games because they didn't provide enough communication and admitted he would have preferred if the games had taken longer to release and had more microtransactions so long as they provided more insight on the development process.

What I'm getting from this is that Star Citizen would make bank on a reality show.

video games became means to the end of creating a community, to the point where people now question why they need the game (see twitch)

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Kosumo posted:

Pff, what do you know about lock outside with a hungry duck development?

As if you have ever been in that position.

HAHA! What if I tell you that the key wasn't even inside the house?

Elerion
May 31, 2011

Isn't that basically what it was back in 2014-2015 or whenever they posted all that awful video content which should have scared off any reasonable person?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWq8ynUq7wM

I'm pretty sure the main reason funding has kept increasing is that they have stopped showing the awful chaos behind the scenes and just post jpegs instead.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

The Angry Joe gang reacts to Crobbers ramblings

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZ4fM6dUEGI&t=670s

quote:

I don't think SC is a scam. I think they are trying to put out a game. I just think they are... incompetent. I think they mismanage the time, they over promise, they are going to under deliver, and they are selling people real estate in a game that does not exist, and it's horseshit. And I think that kind of monetisation is anti-consumer, it's anti-gamer. And we should be against everyhting that they are doing other than making the game. Don' sell space ships, and then more spaceships. Give people a realistic time frame.

MedicineHut fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Sep 15, 2020

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

tuo posted:

HAHA! What if I tell you that the key wasn't even inside the house?

It was inside the duck?

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Hey thread!

Wait are you saying.... This is some kinda sick nerdo strip dev show?

As long as "backers" keep throwing money, all they want is development deets? Is that what Star Citizen has become?

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Pixelate posted:

It was inside the duck?

Let's say a simrig that moves is absolutely able to shake a key out of your pockets
(the simrig is in my office, my office is open doors due to the cat etc. etc.)

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Elerion posted:

Isn't that basically what it was back in 2014-2015 or whenever they posted all that awful video content which should have scared off any reasonable person?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWq8ynUq7wM

I'm pretty sure the main reason funding has kept increasing is that they have stopped showing the awful chaos behind the scenes and just post jpegs instead.

Excuse me, but this is very, VERY bad FUD. What you see in this vid is a highly skilled software developer, developing games, responsible for the physics simulation and even more in that game. You know, someone who puts ones and zeros into a computer all day. He was just pretending to never have seen a modern computer, different input controls OR his own game.

He is saving PC gaming in this vid, for fucks sake!

e: I think this vid should be shown to the hardcore backers in an endless loop - clockwork orange style. How anyone can believe in this thumbshaped man after this vid is beyond me.

tuo fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Sep 15, 2020

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

Zaphod42 posted:

What gets me this was a reply to why air is randomly scattered around in the game and doors dont work.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Also Ducky is doing fine. We are slowly preparing her for the cruel, cruel world out there and I handed her a MGS manual and she's already pretty good in blending in, only to launch at unsuspecting prey (flies, beekeepers)

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire
see
roadmap
frustration
priority
long
work
pushed back
system
time

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

tuo posted:

Also Ducky is doing fine. We are slowly preparing her for the cruel, cruel world out there and I handed her a MGS manual and she's already pretty good in blending in, only to launch at unsuspecting prey (flies, beekeepers)

D-Duck

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun

Shine on you crazy diamond!
We got this new pupper from the shelter yesterday, she is nearly 2 months old

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun

Shine on you crazy diamond!
Going back in time, since Store Citizer was announced in 2012, I have:
1) Moved out of my parent's place to live with my gf
2) Got married with the same gf
3) Had a beautiful girl
4) Moved to the US
6) Bought our own house
7) Adopted a new family member

Thanks Chris Roberts for providing so many fine jpegs and comedy during all of this time

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

MedicineHut posted:

What is resetera

Not sure if serious question but forums that split from Neogaf when it became obvious that the owner was a sexual assaulter. Echoes of SA except that instead of giving up the forums Tyler Malka instead banned all discussion of 'politics' (speaking out against sexual assault is politics btw), closed the non-gaming part of the forums, and made all mods/moderation anonymous and opaque.

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire

JugbandDude posted:

Thank you for this post and rescuing the pupper.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Fidelitious posted:

Not sure if serious question but forums that split from Neogaf when it became obvious that the owner was a sexual assaulter. Echoes of SA except that instead of giving up the forums Tyler Malka instead banned all discussion of 'politics' (speaking out against sexual assault is politics btw), closed the non-gaming part of the forums, and made all mods/moderation anonymous and opaque.

Thanks friend, had really no idea.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Beexoffel posted:

see
roadmap
frustration
priority
long
work
pushed back
system
time

I see Chris found a new dealer lmao. Anyway hello everyone star citizen is good

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
chrispire.txt

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

JugbandDude posted:

That is cute AF.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

trucutru posted:

Well, it's kinda hard to go head-to-head against freaking star wars (or at least it used to be).

But yeah, as games Tie Fighter and X-Wing were miles ahead. But some people were looking for narratives with good presentation and those are the ones that now are spending 5000 bucks on SC.

I'd contend this, since the narrative driven part is Sq52 which can be bought stand alone.

I think the major supporters these days are not the people wanting the wing commander clone, but the guys wanting a new Eve or second life in space and buying ships.

The harsh reality is that CR is probably still dedicating most dev time to the Sq52 side instead of the side people are spending money for, which may end up coming as an unpleasant surprise for a lot of people when it releases with a big ta-da and almost nobody cares and they wonder how this gets them closer to being space Captain Kirk of their own ship instead of lovely on rails space shooter with a boring story between missions.

The reason the game after WC4 tanked, Prophecy I believe, is because the formula of "mission-cutscene-mission-cutscene" was boring at that point. Game design has moved on to be far more interactive than watching a video/in engine cutscene. Not to mention having famous voices for characters and even their likeness is not really a big deal anymore.

holtemon
May 2, 2019

Dancing is forbidden

Zaphod42 posted:

I mean for real, is crobbers vision something a group of Google and NASA engineers could do with a real life ship and a 300 million dollar budget?

I'm not the smartest guy in the world so I dunno, but this seems a bit of a stretch for some fresh outta college computer programming kids to do. For a video game.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

no_recall posted:

Wait are you saying.... This is some kinda sick nerdo strip dev show?

As long as "backers" keep throwing money, all they want is development deets? Is that what Star Citizen has become?

They just want to be part of something bigger than them :smith:

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
The new (mostly empty) patch is now in Evocati

quote:

Some initial noteworthy leaks from the first 3.11 build.

Ship markers now indicate which pad the ship is on.

The Gladius now has several moving buttons and working indicator lights.

Ship HUDs now appropriately adjust to very bright backgrounds.

The ROC costs 172k aUEC in stores.

A few locale additions and changes involving prisons, infractions, countermeasures, and... Big Benny?

Currently, the cargo decks are not very fleshed out and only contain the basic stuff. No missions as of yet.

With the new station layout, you can no longer go between different sections of stations (hangars, main hub, habs, etc) on foot. You must go between them by elevator.

The ETF watermark was absent for a few hours when the build released, but has been silently re-enabled.

So much for fidelity and not using magic elevators.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baxta
Feb 18, 2004

Needs More Pirate

Beexoffel posted:

see
roadmap
frustration
priority
long
work