Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Khablam posted:

Where did I ever say there was a shortage of dumbass hipsters?

Anyone who likes anything different than me is a dumbass hipster, a hot take in the spiciest thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

learnincurve posted:

Would it shock anyone to learn that after the Romans left what would become the U.K. we had no form of currency at all for hundreds of years, and everything went completely to poo poo. The massive Roman road network just never got maintained and there were invisible lines all over the land where if you accidentally chased your sheep over them then mercenaries would jump out and stab you for trespassing.
Looking forward to this after brexit actually happens!

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

FIA is investigating Hamilton for the t-shirt he wore before and after the race.

quote:

The FIA rules state that drivers are not to use advertising that is “political or religious in nature of that is prejudicial to the interests of the FIA”.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

Rated PG-34 posted:

Let me tell you about how money was introduced primarily to conduct warfare, and communities had operated perfectly fine without it

lmao who the gently caress told you that?

Hi Op, please look into what a touchstone is and why it was an important step in being able to trust a transaction of valuable metals.

What a loving idiot you are.

[edit] Actually gently caress it just watch this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NqRbBvujHY&t=196s

MustardFacial fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Sep 15, 2020

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Custard Undies posted:

FIA is investigating Hamilton for the t-shirt he wore before and after the race.

Lmao this is the worst position to take, leave it to f1

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

MustardFacial posted:

lmao who the gently caress told you that?

Hi Op, please look into what a touchstone is and why it was an important step in being able to trust a transaction of valuable metals.

What a loving idiot you are.

[edit] Actually gently caress it just watch this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NqRbBvujHY&t=196s

Lol I’m not watching this boring poo poo when I can just watch f1

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

Custard Undies posted:

That’s a pretty loving stupid hill to die on lmao

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll together, win together

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Lmao this is the worst position to take, leave it to f1

i love how any time the FIA has the choice of following the letter of the rules to the detriment of themselves and literally everyone, or just letting something go in the interest of decency, they always choose the former

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

Rated PG-34 posted:

Keep being loving stupid then :shrug:

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

Rated PG-34 posted:

Lmao you definitely don’t watch F1

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Anyone who likes anything different than me is a dumbass hipster, a hot take in the spiciest thread

Can I get some extra crushed red pepper on this hot take please? It’s not hot enough

the corona quid posted:

That’s a pretty loving stupid hill to die on lmao

The FIA sounds fit to post here then if they pick stupid loving hills to die on. Let’s pool our money to get them an account

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

MustardFacial posted:

Keep being loving stupid then :shrug:

Ok I watched it and it’s boring poo poo and doesn’t contradict anything I said

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
I'm Jean Marie Ballestres ghost

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Looking forward to this after brexit actually happens!

No need to wipe Britain from the face of the Earth, Brexit is doing it for us

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Rated PG-34 posted:

Why do people get so upset the about the holodomor, when ~3 million children die from hunger and malnutrition each year under the horrors of capitalism

Because that's capitalism. If they didn't want to die of hunger they should have pulled themselves up by their strapless boots and made something of themselves!

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

mrfart posted:

https://imgur.com/gallery/wNhC5Kh

Somebody has put too much effort in explaining the crash at the restart.

So to me it seems that the main fault is with Latifi who decided to live inside Magnussen's gearbox, almost got him twice, and then basically offered Magnussen as a sacrifice to Giovinazzi. It kind of looks like if he'd backed off a bit the whole thing could have been avoided.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Custard Undies posted:

He should put it on his helmet too

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Custard Undies posted:

Gonna give him a drive through penalty to make Sochi an interesting race.

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

right clicking is stealing

a pipe smoking dog posted:

So to me it seems that the main fault is with Latifi who decided to live inside Magnussen's gearbox, almost got him twice, and then basically offered Magnussen as a sacrifice to Giovinazzi. It kind of looks like if he'd backed off a bit the whole thing could have been avoided.

But that's about where you want to be on a restart. I'd put most of the blame on Ricciardo and Kvyat. Those two both had big gaps to make up on the straight, so Ocon behind the both of them had to race to keep up. Then it's just a chain reaction of guys racing full speed only to hit the back of the pack.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Isn't the real problem here that the leader didn't go on the last turn, which is unusual, and the hill prevents everyone else seeing what's going on on the straight, which is unusual. Which means it's actually an FOM/FIA problem or a track problem because the safety car didn't release the race cars until really late?

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Isn't the real problem here that the leader didn't go on the last turn, which is unusual, and the hill prevents everyone else seeing what's going on on the straight, which is unusual. Which means it's actually an FOM/FIA problem or a track problem because the safety car didn't release the race cars until really late?

I think that has a lot to do with it. The way the straight works Bottas had no choice but to back everything up until the actual timing line because he'd get passed for sure by at least Lewis if he started at the turn exit. Maybe I'm just dumb but doesn't Brazil have a similar problem? The timing line is at the end of a long straight that's up a hill, yet we haven't seen this issue there.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

The problem when I watched that another has touched on is two guys drifted back, accelerated to fill the gap which made the guys behind think racing was back on. Can they not have the Nascar style spotter where a guy yells green green green in the driver's ear when the lead car goes?

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

ilmucche posted:

The problem when I watched that another has touched on is two guys drifted back, accelerated to fill the gap which made the guys behind think racing was back on. Can they not have the Nascar style spotter where a guy yells green green green in the driver's ear when the lead car goes?

This is pretty well explained in the analysis that mrfart linked to earlier. On the many screenshots you seee that the drivers in the back only see 2-3 cars right in front of them. When 2 drivers leave a gap and then close that gap before the leader starts accelerating you get a harmonica effect. The further you get to the back the more this looks like the race already started, because they can't see that far ahead.

Teams indicating the moment the leader starts would probably solve that.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

ilmucche posted:

cah on the roigh'! two woide! he's steell theah!

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

Khablam posted:

cah on the roigh'! two woide! he's steell theah!

THEY SAY YOU CUT THE COURSE

YOU'LL HAVE TO SLOW DOWN AND GIVE UP THE TIME GAINED

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

LochNessMonster posted:

a harmonica effect

excuse me a what now

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

Yeah F1 needs to have the restart be on the corner and not a loving 1km straight with a hill.

Also green flags showing before the leader has even gone is loving stupid

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Its always been like that though. Its just a case of the jobbers at the back being morons, nothing more

Vando posted:

excuse me a what now

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Would spotters solve that? Because it's actually kind of irrelevant what the actual flag/ lights are doing if the guy in front of you can get started on his acceleration before you, as long as he doesn't pass anyone before the line or before the green right?

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

A light on the wheel perhaps? Turns yellow under yellow, red under red, green under race conditions and pulsing green when waiting for the start? Surely F1 is ready for this advanced tech.

Snackula
Aug 1, 2013

hedgefund wizard

Mokotow posted:

A light on the wheel perhaps? Turns yellow under yellow, red under red, green under race conditions and pulsing green when waiting for the start? Surely F1 is ready for this advanced tech.

Iirc they already have a system to push notifications out to the cockpit/wheel displays of individual cars for blue flags.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
All Safety cars should be followed by a standing start.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

daslog posted:

SECOND

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

if ur following a car so close that it decides to brake and u cant react at all before hitting them well i heard in drivers education once tahts a you issue

i dont care what speed they're going

its Giovinazzi's fault

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Mokotow posted:

They have this since years. In the time before the graphical display from McLaren was mandated, it had to be to the right and left of the shift lights, with the graphical display it is also to the sides, but no longer diamond shaped.

Yellow LED lights up if there is a yellow sector somewhere on the track, flashes if it is double waved yellow (no idea if that even still exists or is replaced by virtual safety car)

red LED is pretty clear

green LED does not have to be on for the entire time the race is green flagged, but should be on or flash once the track turns to green

at some point, there also was a blue LED in regard to blue flags, but FIA got rid of it pretty soon (or actually never implemented it in F1, could have been they toyed around with it in GP2/3, dont remember) because technical implementation wasn't failsave on each track.

Then LEDs are there, but they are not bound to the sector the car is in. It's more of "there is yellow somewhere, better ask my pitwall what's up".

Final say IIRC is what the marshals wave anyway, though I don't know how the new flashing boards rule into this...if they overrule the marshals or not.

Snackula
Aug 1, 2013

hedgefund wizard

daslog posted:

You'd get so many overheating cars and burning brakes if you didn't do the whole red flag thing and give a small army of pit crew members with blowers and dry ice at least 10 minutes to cool them down between each standing start. On the plus side Mercedes would be standing still the longest and cooling seems one of their rare weak spots.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

is this not something that could be solved by having spotters relay info about traffic ahead.. something they're not allowed to do in a formation map at all for some reason

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

daslog posted:

Please stop suggesting doing poo poo that makes the races longer and more dependent on the commentators to fill dead air.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
Like the reverse grid nonsense, I feel like this is a one-off event that'll be forgotten post Sochi

it's not like this is NASCAR where they have back-to-back cautions at least once a race

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

the corona quid posted:

Please stop suggesting doing poo poo that makes the races longer and more dependent on the commentators to fill dead air.

the commentators sound so excited when the red flag hits, its like christmas