Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

wats everyone hate Ortega for again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

you know realtalk something I like about this thread is for is if i ask any other SA thread "so what are yall mad about now" it's usually something embarrassingly stupid but asking this thread I fully expect to go "oh wow what a dick, gently caress him" :laugh:

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

beep by grandpa posted:

wats everyone hate Ortega for again

He slapped TKZ’s friend or something and its also de rigueur to hate on people affiliated with the gracies.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

blue footed boobie posted:

He slapped TKZ’s friend or something and its also de rigueur to hate on people affiliated with the gracies.

To elaborate on this, TKZ is friends with a k-pop dude. Ortega is scared of TKZ and waited until Jung had left to then approach his k-pop friend and assault him.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

lol wow what a dick gently caress em

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

beep by grandpa posted:

lol wow what a dick gently caress em

https://twitter.com/arielhelwani/status/1236557856909824000

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009
He’s also a steroid cheater

Also those stupid modelo commercials that ran every ad break got tiresome

Also used to appear to be fake poor for marketing reasons according to internet people

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

tkz has a cool youtube channel where he talks about important mma stuff like overeem’s dick.

ortega, to my knowledge, does not

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
https://twitter.com/LegKickTKO/status/1236823229160882176

SA Forums Poster
Oct 13, 2018

You have to PAY to post on that forum?!?
https://twitter.com/dilletaunt/status/1305886789211582464

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

quote:

One of the things that the ring does is provide a readiness score, which helps an athlete know how best to train on a given day. It was the change in his readiness score, along with some other data, that suggested Cormier should see a doctor.

The ordeal began on July 1 when Cormier’s teammate tested positive for COVID-19. Cormier, his coaches and teammates were negative when results were returned July 3.

“But over the weekend, I started feeling a little sick,” Cormier said. “Things weren’t exactly ... well, let me put it this way: I wasn’t sick, but I got a little tired and peaked. Monday comes, I go to practice and I spar and I worked out three times. I felt OK, but I was a little bit tired is, I guess, how I would put it. Now, let me go back for a second: The Wednesday prior, my readiness score was at 78, 79. The readiness score is what tells you how you are supposed to approach the day. When it’s low, it’s telling you to take a step back.

“I’ve been using it for months now because my body needs to know if I’m going in the right direction. … On Monday night, Tuesday morning, I wasn’t feeling so good. My resting heart rate had been 50 beats a minute. Now it was at 57. My body temperature had changed.”

He went to practice on Tuesday anyway, and didn’t feel good. He was thinking of stopping and his coaches mocked him. But when he awakened on July 8, his readiness score had dropped to 48. And his resting heart rate went up to 67.

He went to practice that day and sparred two rounds, but told coach Javier Mendez he wasn’t feeling good. He went to the doctor and discovered he had COVID-19.

The coaches, who had mocked him and asked him if Marvin Hagler and Muhammad Ali wore a ring, were amazed.

AKA coaches: hey, one of the guys got covid

DC: i'm feeling a little unwell

AKA coaches: U FUKN PUSSY!!!! LOL, LOOK AT THIS LIL BITCH!!!!

also from the article:

quote:

On Tuesday, the UFC will announce a partnership with Oura Health, the company that makes the Oura Ring. The smart ring tracks health data and can warn of problems and suggest when it’s a good day to train a bit harder and when it might be wise to back off.

The UFC plans to give a ring to all of its fighters who want want one. So far, all 65 fighters that have been offered the rings, which retail for $299, have accepted.

if all ~400 fighters get a ring, that's like $120k in "extra fighter compensation" i bet the ufc can claim it paid out for 2020

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

AKA being toxic shitheads? No that can't be right.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

https://twitter.com/BigMarcel24/status/1305973318831476738

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ql9hrV40LvM

Miching Mallecho
May 24, 2010

:yeshaha:
A loving pandemic and these dumb coaches have the gall to not be extra careful but deride him when their top fighter tells them he’s feeling off.

:ughh:

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
I'm surprised Santos is healed already being that he annihilated his leg against Jones half a year ago.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

punk rebel ecks posted:

I'm surprised Santos is healed already being that he annihilated his leg against Jones half a year ago.

Ummm, they fought July 2019

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

JaySB posted:

Ummm, they fought July 2019

My bad. Ever since the coronavirus, it feels like time no longer exists.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

Let's not forget that Glover vs Santos was supposed to main event last weekend's card, but had to get pushed back because Teixeira got the rona first.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

punk rebel ecks posted:

My bad. Ever since the coronavirus, it feels like time no longer exists.

incredibly :same:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Memento posted:

incredibly :same:

Last night I was talking to a buddy and I was like "other buddy is going to be back soon" and he was like "no he's supposed to be gone for six moooooooooohhhhshit he's going to be back soon."

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Just on fighter development chat, Rafael Dos Anjos is loving mind blowing. To go from getting outboxed by loving Clay Guida and getting hypnotised by the stand up of Tyson Griffin, to turning into a loving destroyer, putting on two of the most dominant title shot performances I've seen and flatlining all three of the top WEC imports. He was always a talented grappler (his two mount takes against Terry Etim are slick as hell) but the way he kept going back to the drawing board and adding new poo poo to his arsenal and just physically improving is cool as gently caress.

Also, Max Holloway. He was always pretty good, but he moved from being a talented and really tough brawler (who, amusingly, managed to actually get outboxed by Leonard Garcia) to a trio of performances as good as Aldo/Aldo/Ortega.

Hollandia posted:

Marlon Vera's evolution has been cool, especially coming out of Ecuador.

Especially with his family story. Does anyone follow Ecuadorian sports news closely enough to know how his daughter is doing? I remember seeing something about her getting the surgery she needed, but no follow up.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Snowman_McK posted:

Just on fighter development chat, Rafael Dos Anjos is loving mind blowing. To go from getting outboxed by loving Clay Guida and getting hypnotised by the stand up of Tyson Griffin, to turning into a loving destroyer, putting on two of the most dominant title shot performances I've seen and flatlining all three of the top WEC imports. He was always a talented grappler (his two mount takes against Terry Etim are slick as hell) but the way he kept going back to the drawing board and adding new poo poo to his arsenal and just physically improving is cool as gently caress.

His uppercut KO loss to Jeremy Stephens was highlight reel af.

And then Stephens ran screaming face-first into the cage and bounced off.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

His uppercut KO loss to Jeremy Stephens was highlight reel af.

And then Stephens ran screaming face-first into the cage and bounced off.

I didn't mention that only because getting knocked out by jeremy Stephens (especially at that point) wasn't that embarassing. Even now, Stephens is capable of being dangerous despite the sport having moved past him and time finally having caught up with him.

Flaskraven
Nov 20, 2012

I hope you get crushed to death by a fat guy trying to commit suicide by falling out of a window and when the paramedics answer the local bystander asking if you'll live, he just says "fat chance" and laughs.
How do you think the Ferguson vs Poirier matchup would have gone? I mean Poiriers boxing and power probably would have melted Ferguson the same way Gaethje did. On the other hand Poirier basically lost to Holloway and Ferguson is a bigger Holloway but with slightly worse boxing.

moctopus
Nov 28, 2005

I think Poirier would take it. Tony is nearly 37 and he's still capable of cool stuff, I just don't think he's going to be able to continue stacking up.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Flaskraven posted:

Poirier basically lost to Holloway

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

e: nm, im dumb

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

Flaskraven posted:

Ferguson is a bigger Holloway

They both have tattoos I guess

Flaskraven
Nov 20, 2012

I hope you get crushed to death by a fat guy trying to commit suicide by falling out of a window and when the paramedics answer the local bystander asking if you'll live, he just says "fat chance" and laughs.

FishBowlRobot posted:

I was mainly thinking about iron-chinned cardio machines with good boxing. So in that sense they're pretty similar. Ferguson is a better kicker and Jiu-jitsu player though.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

FishBowlRobot posted:

There was a timenwhere angel wing tattoos were a sign of great MMA prowess in this decade.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
I need to know what fight you were watching because there really is no universe in which Poirier "basically lost" to Holloway. Poirier had the power, and the pace, he hurt Holloway multiple times and never really looked in danger. Three and four were close, Holloway took the third and you could probably give the fourth to either man but Poirier looked fresh and sharp in the fifth. And I know Stockton rules aren't really a thing but Holloway was busted wide open, especially that knee in the fourth. I remember thinking that it might stop the fight between rounds, he had a pretty big cut on his eyebrow.

Flaskraven
Nov 20, 2012

Memento posted:

I need to know what fight you were watching because there really is no universe in which Poirier "basically lost" to Holloway. Poirier had the power, and the pace, he hurt Holloway multiple times and never really looked in danger. Three and four were close, Holloway took the third and you could probably give the fourth to either man but Poirier looked fresh and sharp in the fifth. And I know Stockton rules aren't really a thing but Holloway was busted wide open, especially that knee in the fourth. I remember thinking that it might stop the fight between rounds, he had a pretty big cut on his eyebrow.

It's been a couple of weeks since my last rewatch, but from what I remember the only decisive round was the first. The four following were close.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

What's funny is Jeremy Stephens isn't even old by fighter standards. He has just been in the UFC since he was 12 or something

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Stephens time to change up his shtick and become a more well rounded fighter was a couple of years ago. As it is he's more disciplined than he used to be but he's still just lil heathen. Favourite thing he's ever done was get punched in the liver by aldo.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Flaskraven posted:

It's been a couple of weeks since my last rewatch, but from what I remember the only decisive round was the first. The four following were close.

From what you've posted in this page you don't know what you're looking at.

nordichammer
Oct 11, 2013
I think Poirer would handedly beat the Tony we last saw fight. He is a sound defensive striker with enough ground chops to maybe ward off the BJJ attacks. Solid defensive striking is what stymied Tony against Justin.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
That fight was so unfair for holloway, really showed the difference between an elite 145er and an elite 155er. Imo holloway did really well but he got smashed.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

nordichammer posted:

I think Poirer would handedly beat the Tony we last saw fight. He is a sound defensive striker with enough ground chops to maybe ward off the BJJ attacks. Solid defensive striking is what stymied Tony against Justin.

Poirier fights nothing like gaethje though, i think that’s a massive oversimplification

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I just realized that the top 5 of 155 is basically an MMA math pentagram

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Disciplined gaethje did look a bit like poirier in the Tony fight though. That check left hook started to become painful to watch as Tony dove into it over and over again.