Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

peanut- posted:

Just weather? It's got to be a lot warmer in Italy in September than March.

Adriatic coast typically sees more winds in winter so could just be a calm day vs a headwind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/laflammerouge16/status/1305476505099698176?s=20

https://twitter.com/laflammerouge16/status/1305506442347249665?s=20

Can't speak to how true that is

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Freshness has a part to it. Half of the guys smashing the records would have spent 4 months getting ruined by the classics. There was a joke post about Froomes dominance being more to do with the fact he raced like 20 days a year before the tour than doping and I think that has a lot to do with it.

Might see a rash of GC riders taking 6 months off a year and spending that on Turbos instead.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Yeah there's also the whole 'rider who got injured in the first week of the season but then on their first race back smashed it' thing that crops up more often than you'd think so there's prob something there. Doubt it will change much going forward though because sponsors are not going to be happy if the big names of a team only show up twice a year.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

You could say that he was.............. ganning it

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Tbf Ganna is a ludicrous level track rider whos been smashing world records left and right so Im not surprised by him.

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009

Vando posted:

Yeah there's also the whole 'rider who got injured in the first week of the season but then on their first race back smashed it' thing that crops up more often than you'd think so there's prob something there. Doubt it will change much going forward though because sponsors are not going to be happy if the big names of a team only show up twice a year.

OTOH sponsors love when you win the Tour. It's definitely why there's usually been a team reserving a rider for the Tour.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Cycling is crazy right now 4 riders broke cancellara's record for the course.

Sky normalized it and now everyone has overtaken them. Gewiss-Ballan all over again.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

I think a huge amount of this crazy riding has been the amount of training people have had without racing.

People came in primed for the season and raced a few weeks then it's been a summer of solo training to escape lockdown.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
https://twitter.com/TheRaceRadio/status/1302616235289448448?s=19

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
In a cleaner sport I'd expect Slovenes to dominate. They're just built different. Just look at Luka Doncic being the best player in the NBA and Goran Dragic carving up the Bucks

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

The aero part is true. If you make a back and forth ride with some steady wind, you'll go slower than if there were no wind at all.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

kimbo305 posted:

The aero part is true. If you make a back and forth ride with some steady wind, you'll go slower than if there were no wind at all.

What if you ride an even time split with more power into the headwind and lower power riding with the wind direction?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

TobinHatesYou posted:

What if you ride an even time split with more power into the headwind and lower power riding with the wind direction?

So for keeping same total time, is more energy used?

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

kimbo305 posted:

So for keeping same total time, is more energy used?

Bike Calculator's mojo thinks I'd need 317W to TT 28mph on a calm day, 427W to ride 28mph against a 5mph wind and 226W for 28mph with a 5mph wind. So given an even split the averages would be 317W vs 326.5W. Makes sense I guess, since you're spending the same amount of time in one split with exponential aero losses.

TobinHatesYou fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Sep 15, 2020

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Prudhomme is back in the car today because testing positive if you're rich and famous means nothing.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
He's probably been tested five times a day so they know whether they really should lock down the president's staff.

moctopus
Nov 28, 2005

"OFFICIAL PRESS RELEASE: each of the 785 tests carried out returned negative results. "

Hooray.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

And we’re back

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

It would be nice if the map of the course would show how many remaining km so I can match that up with the broadcast instead of having to remember how long the course is today and then do mental math

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
That's quite a break.

No Sagan, I assumed Bora would just drill this to the intermediate.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

forever attacks

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Caleb way off the back already, nice, nice

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Julian has been swapping and fiddling with bikes a lot this tour. He's obviously not getting on with some aspect of the current set-up.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I like the substitue bike.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Snoozer of a stage today. Everyones waiting for tomorrow.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
If Eurosport let Wiggins be a co-commentator regularly I'm gonna have to start finding a foreign language channel to watch this poo poo on

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Bernal going out the back again.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Gotta lose enough minutes to be let into the break tomorrow.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

That’s a nice fort.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Alaphilippe lol

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

serious gaylord posted:

Alaphilippe lol

Got that 10 second effort in then he’s done

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Wet fart of a GC stage but this might be an exciting finish.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Kämna has been able to hang on to him so well and just accelerate. Great ride from him.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Kämna giving the old fake out.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Hoping Pogacar goes for it on the final climb but I reckon everyones sitting in for tomorrow.

carborexic
Nov 9, 2008

I don't see a single Ineos rider in the leader's group... wonder when that last happened in a grand tour.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

carborexic posted:

I don't see a single Ineos rider in the leader's group... wonder when that last happened in a grand tour.

Couple of Giros where Thomas/Porte have tried to win it. In fact the Giros in general over the last 5 years.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Casual bunnyhop over the reservation at 45kmh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carborexic
Nov 9, 2008

serious gaylord posted:

Couple of Giros where Thomas/Porte have tried to win it. In fact the Giros in general over the last 5 years.

You're right, it just felt like a very unusual sight to see.

Canny ride from Lenny here.