Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

MikeJF posted:

Or if you're playing Star Trek Online, Mirror Leeta, Admiral and commander of the Terran Empire Fleet. WHY NOT.

i'm 5 years clean. you can't tempt me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Brute Squad posted:

i'm 5 years clean. you can't tempt me.

Five years ago was just after the Romulus stuff came out, right? That was the peak of the game anyway. (such as it were).

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

According to Garret wang on the voyager podcast he does with paris he got datas old boots but they were so busted and worn out that the studio had some custom cobbler come try to fix them like 3 times before he just went to a nordstrom rack or something and bought new ones. I guess they had a label I. Them saying b. Spiner. The voyaher podcast (delta flyers on spotify) is full of some pretty fun behind the scenes stuff, like how Garret almost killed harrison ford, but it can be kinda frustrating because I think they lock like 80% of the podcast behind a paywall. Fun to go over all of the voyager episodes and see which they liked or didn't.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

MikeJF posted:

Or if you're playing Star Trek Online, Mirror Leeta, Admiral and commander of the Terran Empire Fleet. WHY NOT.

I assume this is a different Mirror Universe than the DS9 one where she shows up on the station working with the Terran Resistance that ended up making the Commonwealth since the Empire fell.

Eighties ZomCom fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Sep 15, 2020

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
In the STO setting, after the fall of the Alliance, the rebellion established a new Terran Empire. Given how utterly cynical DS9's take on the mirror universe was, it seems fitting that things just come full circle.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yeah they just kinda handwaved things to be the fun TOS-style mirror universe so they could have us fight the ISS Enterprise.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Angry Salami posted:

In the STO setting, after the fall of the Alliance, the rebellion established a new Terran Empire. Given how utterly cynical DS9's take on the mirror universe was, it seems fitting that things just come full circle.
That’s really loving stupid

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

Ramadu posted:

According to Garret wang on the voyager podcast he does with paris he got datas old boots but they were so busted and worn out that the studio had some custom cobbler come try to fix them like 3 times before he just went to a nordstrom rack or something and bought new ones. I guess they had a label I. Them saying b. Spiner. The voyaher podcast (delta flyers on spotify) is full of some pretty fun behind the scenes stuff, like how Garret almost killed harrison ford, but it can be kinda frustrating because I think they lock like 80% of the podcast behind a paywall. Fun to go over all of the voyager episodes and see which they liked or didn't.

They do some fun interviews behind the paywall but most of the normal episodes are an hour long already so I think it's fine.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Sadly half of STO is. God it was beautiful back in ~2012

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

AntherUslessPoster posted:

Sadly half of STO is. God it was beautiful back in ~2012

outside of, frankly, cyberbullying different nerds with goons under the guise of laughs for all, the funniest and most fun time i had in that game was messing around in some stupid borg area that was also a PVP zone. me and a buddy rolled romulans and basically allowed many federation captains to roleplay dying to warbirds decloaking both in front and behind them

i have to assume at least some of them appreciated the heck out of that gank

E: also basically getting to live out star trek stories in a (well enough) made way to feel immersive. its easy to dismiss the game, or any game i guess, as being poorly made or bad in the context of video games in general. but there are only so many ways you can try to experience stuff like that and STO is certainly no worse than a plastic phaser and cardboard navigation terminal

Worf fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Sep 15, 2020

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Why wouldn't the Terrans rebuild the Empire? They lost control because of weak liberals like Spock, clearly the only options are to either keep the boot on the alien's neck or suffer underneath it.

Now you might say, that's completely contradictory to the rest of Star Trek, but that's DS9's fault, not the game.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

MikeJF posted:

Five years ago was just after the Romulus stuff came out, right? That was the peak of the game anyway. (such as it were).

Peak was the dyson sphere arc. Because you got to call orbital strikes down on laser-toting t-rexes. I got out right after the delta quadrant stuff dropped.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It occurred to me that this thread would love these.

grassy gnoll posted:

Take your standard Tollhouse cookie. While it's still warm, drape it over something hemispherical, so it's got a big central bump. A 1 tbsp measure is perfect.

Next, get some maple butter. Ladle some up on the tip of a knife, and drizzle it in mostly-radial lines across the cookie. You want it to look like a bored stage hand was working the expanding foam gun. Ideally, you'd hit it with a brazing torch at this point, to darken the cookie crust and give you some tasty carmelized sugars, but it looks like mine bled out all its fuel, and hosed if I'm going to go out during a plague just for your entertainment. Use your imagination, science fiction fan.

This, but darker and crispier. This is still pretty tasty, though.

Arrange your display on a sheet of baking parchment. Then, grab some lovely chocolate, like a Hershey bar. Ideally you want something with some structure you can grab on, but in a pinch you can melt some of your actual decent chocolate and use the tip of a spoon or a butter knife. Awful plastic chocolate will make it easier, though, since it's stickier - you're about to write the magic words to bring the whole project together.

After close association with humans, I find it curiously delicious.

Kiss it! Baby it! Flatter it, if you have to!

One Horta, made to order. Serve over tapioca pearls, if you're a child-eating monster.

CainFortea posted:

We are the cookie collective.

Your biological and cookielogical distinctiveness will be added to our own.

Dieting is futile.

Edit: Forgot to add a picture of the original thing.

It's a good subforum.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I got a good laugh out of this

https://twitter.com/newsovietposter/status/1305937287402975232?s=21

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I hate trekkies.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

A couple dozen is the same as a million, right? That's how math works.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Can't tell if that's a brain-damaged human or a particularly clever bot.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Lemniscate Blue posted:

And Spiner was a bit too small to fit in O'Brien's, if I recall production stories correctly.

Stewart and Spiner had DS9-style uniforms tailored for them. Frakes was wearing stuff from Brooks' wardrobe, while LeVar Burton was stuffed into Colm Meaney's.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Millions and millions of dollars being spent, but god forbid they shell out a couple of hundred for a costume that fits the actor.

The uniform swap coming partway through the film was a :psyduck: moment even when I saw it the first time. Some of the crew, but only some of them, randomly decide to change outfits in the middle of a tense situation. Why not do it at the start? Why do it at all? Moichendising! Where the real money is!

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

I'm still waiting for one candidate or the other to take a principled stand, and say to the American people that the location of Starbase 1 given in that Discovery episode makes no sense at all!

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

"It's okay. I wouldn't remember me either."

Payndz posted:

Millions and millions of dollars being spent, but god forbid they shell out a couple of hundred for a costume that fits the actor.

The uniform swap coming partway through the film was a :psyduck: moment even when I saw it the first time. Some of the crew, but only some of them, randomly decide to change outfits in the middle of a tense situation. Why not do it at the start? Why do it at all? Moichendising! Where the real money is!

They spent a buttload of money on updated uniforms but tossed it at the last second. That's why it was a mix of old and hand me downs.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Evek posted:

They spent a buttload of money on updated uniforms but tossed it at the last second. That's why it was a mix of old and hand me downs.

Yeah, they blew their costume budget on new uniforms that Robert Blackman designed.

They actually did a day or two of shooting with the new uniforms before realizing they looked terrible on-screen.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Does any of that footage exist or is it gone? I would be interested to see it.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

FlamingLiberal posted:

Does any of that footage exist or is it gone? I would be interested to see it.

There's some incredibly fuzzy footage of Geordi on the Klingon ship wearing the new uniform.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEaR1rkhy00

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Should've sprung for jumpsuits with integrated boots and pants.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Should have just filmed them in whatever clothes they were wearing when they arrived on set, like they did for Chekov and Bones in The Voyage Home.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Ramadu posted:

I'm passing through the season one episodes where they're going "oh god this was so racist" and it's really interesting how they're not sugar coating any of their commentary.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Timby posted:

There's some incredibly fuzzy footage of Geordi on the Klingon ship wearing the new uniform.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEaR1rkhy00

No one can definitively say that is or is not a Roswell Gray laying on the table with quality like this

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Brute Squad posted:

And at least they address why people keep calling Gul Dukat "Gul" no matter his position. Military advisor to a civilian government, captain of a freighter, overseer of a station, leader of the cardassian empire, head of a cult. Still a Gul.
I figured it was like how in the old south they'd keep calling you Colonel or Captain or the like if you got to that rank and were now retired, something which we mostly now know from Col. Sanders.

"Well bless your heart" - a traditional Cardassian greeting

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Admiralty Flag posted:

Yeah, I thought this for a long time then I saw it again recently. I kinda forgot how early the mystery is ruined and how especially creepy the Traveler is in the episode. Still good but better in the mind's eye.

I re-watched this last night and thought it was a great episode for a few reasons outside the concept:

1) It makes abundantly clear how much everyone trusts Beverley when she comes to them with claims that in ordinary circumstances would be patently insane to them

2) It makes it clear how competent everyone is and creates an atmosphere of everyone being excellent at their jobs (except perhaps Wesley, who stands out as being more cut out for work as an extradimensional psychic). There's a lot of world-building when they describe all the failsafes that exist in Star Trek to find people. It makes clear that they're suited for life on the Enterprise, where weird poo poo happens all the time and they have to consider things like interdimensional warp phenomena loving up reality.

3) It makes clear how smart and competent Beverley is when she can reason out the problem completely on her own and not have a psychotic break

I thought it was a good companion episode to the one I watched next, in which Data is summoned by his creator, systematically locks everyone else out of control of the ship to go see him (endangering lives in the process), and then at the end they don't even consider disciplining him because everyone "gets" Data and understands the situation.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Timby posted:

Stewart and Spiner had DS9-style uniforms tailored for them. Frakes was wearing stuff from Brooks' wardrobe, while LeVar Burton was stuffed into Colm Meaney's.

I misremembered, thank you. That makes sense, considering Data's prominent role in the film. Three out of the four films, really.

Sodomy Hussein posted:

I re-watched this last night and thought it was a great episode for a few reasons outside the concept:

1) It makes abundantly clear how much everyone trusts Beverley when she comes to them with claims that in ordinary circumstances would be patently insane to them

2) It makes it clear how competent everyone is and creates an atmosphere of everyone being excellent at their jobs (except perhaps Wesley, who stands out as being more cut out for work as an extradimensional psychic). There's a lot of world-building when they describe all the failsafes that exist in Star Trek to find people. It makes clear that they're suited for life on the Enterprise, where weird poo poo happens all the time and they have to consider things like interdimensional warp phenomena loving up reality.

3) It makes clear how smart and competent Beverley is when she can reason out the problem completely on her own and not have a psychotic break

I thought it was a good companion episode to the one I watched next, in which Data is summoned by his creator, systematically locks everyone else out of control of the ship to go see him (endangering lives in the process), and then at the end they don't even consider disciplining him because everyone "gets" Data and understands the situation.

Compare your #1 here to her treatment by the crew in "Suspicions", where everyone tells her she's crazy and wrong for thinking the Ferengi scientist was murdered, to the point where she is specifically ordered to forget about her, uh, suspicions.

Lemniscate Blue fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Sep 16, 2020

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Compare your #1 here to her treatment by the crew in "Suspicions", where everyone tells her she's crazy and wrong for thinking the Ferengi scientist was murdered, to the point where she is specifically ordered to forget about her, uh, suspicions.

Technically 'Remember Me' was taking place in a universe created by her own thoughts. Maybe that's why the crew was so patient.

Ya know, if I ignored the 'bad writing' angle.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Something I like about that episode is how TOS had at least two episodes where someone takes over the ship from engineering so presumably Starfleet changed everything so it is now very difficult to remove control from the bridge or force entry into it.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Nessus posted:

I figured it was like how in the old south they'd keep calling you Colonel or Captain or the like if you got to that rank and were now retired, something which we mostly now know from Col. Sanders.

"Well bless your heart" - a traditional Cardassian greeting

lol, for some if it definitely, yeah. But I remember a scene or two where Dukat's bitching about becoming a Legate again, but I don't remember anyone ever referring to him as "Legate Dukat". It's just one of those things you notice on a umpteenth watch through. Like how all the aliens are horny for O'Brien.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
I always thought it was an allusion to Gaddafi, like how Gaddafi would constantly go on about how his official rank and title in Libya was just "colonel" because he wanted to keep himself humble. And also he was loving crazy, just like Dukat.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

nine-gear crow posted:

I always thought it was an allusion to Gaddafi, like how Gaddafi would constantly go on about how his official rank and title in Libya was just "colonel" because he wanted to keep himself humble. And also he was loving crazy, just like Dukat.

That's very similar to an exchange from Ties Of Blood And Water.

Sisko:
Still calling yourself Gul? I'm surprised you haven't promoted yourself back to Legate by now.

Dukat:
I prefer the title 'Gul' - So much more hands-on than 'Legate', hm? And less pretentious than the other alternatives - President, Emperor, First Minister - Emissary.

Sisko:
How about 'Dominion Puppet'?

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Lemniscate Blue posted:

I misremembered, thank you. That makes sense, considering Data's prominent role in the film. Three out of the four films, really.

I dunno it seems everyone was on board with her in Suspicions until she did that autopsy against the families wishes which Picard got pissed about which is in character for him.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Cat Hatter posted:

That's very similar to an exchange from Ties Of Blood And Water.

Sisko:
Still calling yourself Gul? I'm surprised you haven't promoted yourself back to Legate by now.

Dukat:
I prefer the title 'Gul' - So much more hands-on than 'Legate', hm? And less pretentious than the other alternatives - President, Emperor, First Minister - Emissary.

Sisko:
How about 'Dominion Puppet'?

Yeah, that was the exact exchange I was thinking of. Because that Gaddafi quote, or anecdotes about it at the very least had been around for decades prior that episode of DS9, if I recall. I'd actually heard the Dukat like first but it always stuck with me, and when I heard the Gaddafi quote on like CNN or wherever during the Libyan Revolution in 2011 I was like "Oh poo poo, he's Gul Dukat! :aaaaa:"

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

ATTENTION BAJORAN WORKERS

"idk guys, i think we should listen to him? he seems humble and grounded!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Statutory Ape posted:

ATTENTION BAJORAN WORKERS

"idk guys, i think we should listen to him? he seems humble and grounded!"

But enough about Trump supporters