Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

grillster posted:

Is this a standard one time password protocol or something proprietary? Assuming standard, there are other solutions for rolling six digit TOTP codes. If the person has an Android device but no commercial stores, then they can find an APK of either AndOTP or FreeOTP, or use a hardware key if a mobile device isn't ideal.

You can also get non-mobile version, such as the one built into 1Password, depending on how much of a "second factor" you consider that to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Bob Morales posted:

Better than a homemade ticket system I used at my last job...

Tickets didn't have owners
They didn't have priorities
They weren't linked to users or assets
Nobody was notified when they were updated
You couldn't copy/paste anything with non-ascii into it (curly quotes or em dashes or anything) or it'd crash
It also had a 'passwords' page that wasn't https and had a password list

XYZ Corp banner at the top of the page was like 400 pixels tall
I scaled it down by 10 px every couple days. Nobody noticed and when it got to 120px I brought it up

Tickets have priority other than high and urgent?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

skooma512 posted:

Tickets have priority other than "on fire" and "not (yet) on fire"?

:hmmyes:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

grillster posted:

Is this a standard one time password protocol or something proprietary? Assuming standard, there are other solutions for rolling six digit TOTP codes. If the person has an Android device but no commercial stores, then they can find an APK of either AndOTP or FreeOTP, or use a hardware key if a mobile device isn't ideal.

It's RSA securid, which has a client for just about every computing platform in existence. This is just a user thinking they can get around using it with the ITS TOO HARD ploy.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

skooma512 posted:

Let's move those other ones to 'projects'

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Bob Morales posted:

top of the page was like 400 pixels tall
I scaled it down by 10 px every couple days. Nobody noticed and when it got to 120px I brought it up

I love this. It brings me joy for some reason.

Even better would be to gradually shrink it and grow it by a few pixels throughout the year so it subtly swells and shrinks all the time.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Now do it with javascript so every user sees a different size based on their length of employment.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

xzzy posted:

Now do it with javascript so every user sees a different size based on their length of employment.

This is some Picture of Dorian Gray-level :psyduck: poo poo, right here.

RoboBoogie
Sep 18, 2008

capitalcomma posted:

so, free money? what am I missing?

I am bored and want to do something new. I feel like a broken record when they ask the same questions again and ask me to demo something that i have already done

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

RoboBoogie posted:

I am bored and want to do something new. I feel like a broken record when they ask the same questions again and ask me to demo something that i have already done

Is there anything you could be using this time to study for, whether for a cert or just for your own interest?

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

xzzy posted:

Make it a function of the average age of the user's AD account and their manager's AD account.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

skooma512 posted:

I used to set mine to 3 which triggered curiosity for the support guys. "What is this thing that isn't a 1 or a 5?"

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I get more joy out of it than I should when I demote someone's "my file is missing" widespread critical tickets to a more reasonable "moderate" or "low" status.

Level five is for enterprise wide major outages, champ. No one else cares about your config file so you don't get to aim that high.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

It's the difference between "what is the priority of this for me" vs "what is the priority of this for the organisation".

People don't like admitting that their work (and thus their self-worth) might be less than mission critical.

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

Can i just say a hearty 'gently caress you' to whoever asset Lenovo decided that USB flash drives should not be included in the standard list of bootable devices and they should be hidden away as an optional device type in the bios.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Jaded Burnout posted:

You can also get non-mobile version, such as the one built into 1Password, depending on how much of a "second factor" you consider that to be.

That's tied to the vault, though. So any device or computer you use that vault on will have access. Survives upgrades and moving to new devices. It's super nice.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Proteus Jones posted:

That's tied to the vault, though. So any device or computer you use that vault on will have access. Survives upgrades and moving to new devices. It's super nice.

Yeah, I mean, I use it, but I feel a little weird every time.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Agrikk posted:

How do you even do that in PHP? I mean, simply talking to a database in PHP is a concurrent operation capable of multiple simultaneous connections.

Unless there isn’t a database involved...?

Yeah, but if you don't understand databases you just make your app lock the database with every connection.

RoboBoogie
Sep 18, 2008

Johnny Aztec posted:

Is there anything you could be using this time to study for, whether for a cert or just for your own interest?

Learn S4/HANA

another customer went live last week. they gave us three new requirements that they forgot to mention, even after UAT. FML

CollegeCop
Jul 11, 2005

You're right. I'm not a real cop. Those are imaginary handcuffs. And in a minute, we'll be going to the make-believe jail.
This is how my Monday started:

CollaborationServices posted:

We are currently out of Office365 LICENSES for MOST new hires.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

MOST

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Good afternoon!

T, Director of Clinical Services, started today and needs a laptop for her office. Thanks, B

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

skooma512 posted:

*clicks ticket dropdown, sees the singular option*

AFFECTING PRODUCTION

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Son of a bitch when did join.me go pay only? I need to help family members out once in a blue moon and as I try to today I am learning that one simple tool no longer exists.

Does anything nice and easy/point and click exist to replace it?

cr0y fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Sep 14, 2020

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

cr0y posted:

Son of a bitch when did join.me go pay only? I need to help family members out once in a blue moon and as I try to today I am learning that one simple tool no longer exists.

If it's Windows 10, the built-in "Quick Access" should do the trick, but you will need a Microsoft account to start the session. As long as you can rely on the person on the other side to click through UAC prompts. Also got TeamViewer, it is free for personal use. Chrome Remote Desktop Support is worth looking at as well. https://remotedesktop.google.com/support

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

^^^^^ :argh:

cr0y posted:

People have mentioned W10 Quick Assist in the past.

edit: I'm slower than Internet Explorer, need a name change to Netscape 4.0 :saddowns:

alsoedit: friends don't let friends use Teamviewer.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

I thought TeamViewer went strictly pay only but now they have some free license now? I am happily out of the end user support business and I come back to it for one day and all my normal tools are obsolete :(

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

cr0y posted:

I thought TeamViewer went strictly pay only but now they have some free license now? I am happily out of the end user support business and I come back to it for one day and all my normal tools are obsolete :(

TeamViewer has been free for personal use for a very long time.

Super Soaker Party! posted:

alsoedit: friends don't let friends use Teamviewer.

This. Teamviewer has had a couple really big security problems in the last 5 years and didn't handle them very gracefully.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer
I'm a fan of Chrome Remote Desktop for family support.

On another note, not pissing me off: the "New Conversation" button replacing the text line in Microsoft Teams. Good UX decision, Microsoft.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Thanatosian posted:

I'm a fan of Chrome Remote Desktop for family support.

On another note, not pissing me off: the "New Conversation" button replacing the text line in Microsoft Teams. Good UX decision, Microsoft.

Before I say this, I'll mention that I'm mostly on the side of Teams is good (I know we've had a bunch of splits on that view when it's come up). I wish they'd allow custom smilies and better GIF sources, but whatever that's fluff.

HOWEVER.

Does anyone else have issues with Teams not registering Enter presses in a timely fashion? As in, I'll type a quick message, hit enter, type another message, and Teams will have failed to register the Enter before it registers the second message, so I get some weird fragment of the second message attached to the first, and ending randomly in the middle of the second message with the rest of the second message showing up in the typing box.

My machine is 2-3 years old, but it's got a lot of RAM etc. and the CPU's not stressed so I don't think it's a machine problem even with Chrome chewing up 4 GB. It just seems to be Teams being slow at registering Enter keypresses to send messages, which is....really pissing me off.

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006
Yeah. happens here on my i5-86xx and 8GB RAM workstation. Teams sucks assholes

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
It's more like a electron issue than teams per se, Discord does the same poo poo when there is a lot of messages/channel refresh going around.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

The Fool posted:

This. Teamviewer has had a couple really big security problems in the last 5 years and didn't handle them very gracefully.

If you're just using it with their Quick Support agent that doesn't install anything, I don't really see any risks.

Also they are the only remote support vendor integrated into Intune. :cheeky:

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

The Fool posted:

TeamViewer has been free for personal use for a very long time.

Teamviewer will flag your account for work use randomly as a tool to get you to buy it. They will not remove the flag no matter how often you email them.

They also suck at security.

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem!
Today I found out that Events with Recurrence on SharePoint will not be displayed in the web parts and that Microsoft doesn't see a need to change it. :fuckoff:

Also :cry: at seeing all the fun features in Office 365 that we can't get because we're a GCC tenant.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
I remember working at one of Canada’s largest companies, where we used unlicensed personal copies of Teamviewer as our official Remote Desktop support software. To support tens of thousands of employees, all over the world.

that place was such a shitshow.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Company: We are moving to php 7
Also Company: lol our code might as well be php 4 we don't even do safe sql statements

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

So the ceiling had a pipe leak and it took out a wifi AP two weekends ago. Replaced it, and guess what?

There is water all over the ceiling tiles and dripping on the floor. Parts of the tiles are missing and there is a bucket trying to catch water from the dripping.

Ugh.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Bob Morales posted:

Good afternoon!

T, Director of Clinical Services, started today and needs a laptop for her office. Thanks, B

I've always wondered if making an HR annual training be "watch an IT tech create a new user profile and provision and setup a laptop from flattened" would actually be effective at making them realize that it's a thing that takes time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

JohnCompany posted:

I've always wondered if making an HR annual training be "watch an IT tech create a new user profile and provision and setup a laptop from flattened" would actually be effective at making them realize that it's a thing that takes time.

I'm sure they are over there in payroll on Friday saying "Hey John started this week, can you cut him a check?"