Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
oh yeah gotta post this in the new thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

Agile Vector posted:

consider phlebas perhaps as an anthology adaptation would be the most viable for general appeal, but thats not really the culture material i want to see happen. pretty sure in a few years player of games could work as some sort of esports political intrigue show

i think you are right but both of those shows sound horrible

i think the main thing that i like about banks's writing is the way he makes it easy to imagine things that could not possibly exist or be coherently rendered by any reality-adjacent rendering engine; Lededje's infinitely intricate skin is fascinating and easy to imagine but there is absolutely no way to ever actually put it on a screen, same with Azad and the assassin cloud and probably hundreds of other extremely memorable scenes

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

I think the biggest barrier to the culture series getting a film adaptation is that the portrayal of (mostly) utopian anarchism is utterly foreign to TV and cinema. Only thing less likely to get an adaptation is The Dispossed

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Jonny 290 posted:

ok its over and holy poo poo what a loving good god drat action spy movie. wowwww

I feel the same way about Johnny English

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

nobody seems to have a midlife crisis on star trek or is it because human lifespan is so much longer that the whole "become an insufferable ambassador and travel the galaxy annoying young people" is the equivalent?

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

its easy- special circumstances is space cops! in modern day Los Angeles vancouver

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

oh no

idrians have released 99 human criminals

sma and a drone who looks like a human for reasons have to hunt them down

banter!

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

PCjr sidecar posted:

sma and a drone who looks like a human for reasons have to hunt them down

banter!

would

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

let's be honest it would basically be the mandalorian but with a drone instead of baby yoda

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

pointsofdata posted:

I think the biggest barrier to the culture series getting a film adaptation is that the portrayal of (mostly) utopian anarchism is utterly foreign to TV and cinema. Only thing less likely to get an adaptation is The Dispossed

yeah it would be capitalist as hell lol

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

pointsofdata posted:

Yeah, it's like the main barrier is psychological. Imagine how many tens of millions of dollars your studio would be spending on CGI, just to adapt the message "money is a sign of poverty". It doesn't work.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
bezos is veppers from surface detail, right down to aws and hells as a service

i don't think i could handle the irony of amazon producing a culture series

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

this made me laugh really hard

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

infernal machines posted:

bezos is veppers from surface detail, right down to aws and hells as a service

i don't think i could handle the irony of amazon producing a culture series

this is true. but I want to see someone try and adapt the hell subplot of that book, itd be nuts

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
I've tried to explain surface detail to people and I sound like a complete maniac:

ok there are these aliens and they're like elephants but they're not really elephants, ok? So they are a technologically-advanced - well I guess I should back up. In this galaxy there are a bunch of really advanced civilizations like they have ai and huge space orbitals and all this crazy poo poo but it's still all scifi there's no magic - well I guess maybe the civilizations that sublimed, but they just kinda go away. So anyway there are a bunch of these advanced civilizations and it turns out that advanced civilizations tend to evolve in similar ways...

...and then the researcher / academic elephant alien ...

...and then this guy, he's like Jeff bezos...

...well no if she dies this time it'll be a problem because...

...the Angel of Death!

...and the ship is really funny, you have to read it. Like the ship says...

But the anti-hell coalition ...

...so bezos is just absolutely going to town on this hot model chick...

...just miles and miles of stretched skin and jagged bones...

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Jonny 290 posted:

so holy poo poo i'm watching Atomic Blonde (2017) and its not scifi but is one hell of a cold war artistic color balance cold war nutshot asskicker movie and i literally never heard of it 4 hours ago

Atomic Blonde was def a great sleeper hit, mostly because it really just nails that cold war berlin setting that also makes me wish I had been able to experience berlin in the late 80s.

e: for more hot Charlize Thereon but in sci-fi, I really liked The Old Guard that just came out. I don't know what the source material is but the movie is an action movie about a small group of immortal people dating back to Sumarian times that still do figthing poo poo. Not great, but its a fun shlocky movie

Xaris fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Sep 15, 2020

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
it was a comic book, op

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Xaris posted:

e: for more hot Charlize Thereon but in sci-fi, I really liked The Old Guard that just came out. I don't know what the source material is but the movie is an action movie about a small group of immortal people dating back to Sumarian times that still do figthing poo poo. Not great, but its a fun shlocky movie

lol that was also her background in hancock

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

old guard is an actual decent movie instead of the crap Netflix shoves out for the rest of its "originals"

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

power botton posted:

old guard is an actual decent movie instead of the crap Netflix shoves out for the rest of its "originals"

i'd believe you, but

haveblue posted:

it was a comic book, op

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
indigi’s probe caused me to learn that cspam has its own animated probe av. neat. i wonder what such a thing would/should look like in yospos

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Uptime Sinclair posted:

indigi’s probe caused me to learn that cspam has its own animated probe av. neat. i wonder what such a thing would/should look like in yospos

perhaps moose milkie’s av in a kennel.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Eeyo posted:

perhaps moose milkie’s av in a kennel.
:hmmyes:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Uptime Sinclair posted:

> jail -u [target] -c stop.timeout=21600

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Uptime Sinclair posted:

richard stallman getting booted out of MIT

or maybe that should be reserved for bans

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Uptime Sinclair posted:

no one cares about yospos anymore

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

I care

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

he said no one, checks out

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

I feel like the final The Expanse book is gonna suck

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

indigi posted:

I feel like the final The Expanse book is gonna suck

the last one sure did yeah

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
good post title glorgnole

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Corla Plankun posted:

i think you are right but both of those shows sound horrible

i think the main thing that i like about banks's writing is the way he makes it easy to imagine things that could not possibly exist or be coherently rendered by any reality-adjacent rendering engine; Lededje's infinitely intricate skin is fascinating and easy to imagine but there is absolutely no way to ever actually put it on a screen, same with Azad and the assassin cloud and probably hundreds of other extremely memorable scenes

oh, yeah, those would not be particularly great shows for several reasons and you nail it that imagery is a big one. banks could capture the imagination and i dont know if a show for a steaming service could match that even if it was done competently. just the scale and set piece shifts in those two would be a lot for a single show and capturing the detail right would either be lost or ruined in the process

qirex posted:

nobody seems to have a midlife crisis on star trek or is it because human lifespan is so much longer that the whole "become an insufferable ambassador and travel the galaxy annoying young people" is the equivalent?

its all midlife hubris when they turn 100 and try to create super humans or brashness when theyre 20 and get stabbed in the heart in a bar brawl

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

becoming old in star trek means you become mark twain and harass androids

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

qirex posted:

tom paris is fixing up a hot rod and getting really into black and white serials i feel like he’s a good candidate

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

"I should buy a boat"
- Ensign Harry Kim

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

maybe ben sisko is just having one big long midlife crisis throughout DS9. he begins the series being listless and unable to connect with his son. then he finds religion, gets a fancy new star ship, gets a new girlfriend, and has several health scares/disassociations with reality.

he even builds a sail ship, sails it around the neighborhood, and then shows it off to his biggest rival to prove a point.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

he also makes jambalaya

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
what do you call whatever jean-luc is going through in picard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

an end of life crisis, apparently

alternatively, bad writing