Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

quote:

The Gladius now has several moving buttons and working indicator lights.
"Noteworthy."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.
If they are limited to 50 players max per server. How many instances are they having to spin up for the free fly periods? It can't be a small cost. For that matter I would love to see their AWS bill.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

monkeytek posted:

If they are limited to 50 players max per server. How many instances are they having to spin up for the free fly periods? It can't be a small cost. For that matter I would love to see their AWS bill.

Chris Roberts claimed about 30,000 unique accounts daily and up to 100,000 unique accounts at the highest point of events. Of course, that isn't daily concurrent, but free fly periods could probably have 10,000 or so people online at the same time.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

MedicineHut posted:

The Angry Joe gang reacts to Crobbers ramblings

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZ4fM6dUEGI&t=670s

Thanks for the captioning. :glomp:

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

quote:

If the community were more mature then CIG's communications would be no problem at all!

quote:

That is because of the haters, brigading, and trolls that we've seen for YEARS and YEARS and nothing has been done about them. We are FED UP with this poo poo. You want a place where you can discuss things critically without getting those attacks? Lets first deal with the REAL problem, then we can try and heal the wounds that have been left gaping for loving YEARS here.

First step is have the mods step up and start banning the haters and trolls. Won't happen though, because "echo chamber"!

Yeah, honestly, I'm about done here. I'm almost to the point where I'm ready to just move on. The more people do as I'm thinking of doing, the more this place becomes a cesspool of just utter poo poo and hate and vitriol.

quote:

Yep. If we don't deal with the haters, then the people who are here because they love this game and CIG are going to have less and less patience for negativity of ANY kind, no matter how well intentioned.

These people are WELCOMED here. Well, this is what you get when you welcome extreme negativity and don't do anything to curtail it. Look at me, now I'm being negative... you see? It spreads.

quote:

Those attacking people (like myself) who are zealously in support of Star Citizen exist BECAUSE of the haters, trolls, and cult-of-scam-citizen brigaders who are allowed to participate here. Remove them properly, ban them, prevent them from coming here and ruining this community, and people like us will have no complaints and we'll be happy to contribute to your constructive criticisms.

Until then, well, you're going to have to deal with the fact that you sound just like them. Or they sound just like you. Does it matter? You are, for all intents and purposes, working towards their goals and their intentions. Can you say you're ok with that?

I think if you care about Star Citizen's community you should be even more in support of stronger and harsher penalty up to and including bannings against anyone railing and spewing complete fabrications and hate toward Star Citizen here. If we both want that - then lets make it loving happen, aye?

quote:

Lies are intentional. You are wrong. You cannot accept it, but you are actively part of the problem here.

What I would like you to do is help remove the knife from the wound. Once removed, we can talk about what may or may not have been lies. But you cannot begin a CONSTRUCTIVE conversation by starting out with "lies" as a "fact".

Understand? Start communicating as if Star Citizen is, and CIG are, successful. They are, by the way. "Fact". Start acting like they might just succeed, and that they're not out to gently caress with you or piss you off. Start acting like they're trying very hard to make an amazing game.

As it stands, you're acting like they're a scam, and that's why I lump you in with the cult-of-scam crowd. Act like the game is an ongoing success with a very bright future of amazing patches and eventually a single player game release that will blow us away. Then, with THAT tack, we can have discourse, and we can talk about the ISSUES (not "lies") with some of CIG's communications.

quote:

How about the hundreds of things they HAVE delivered, in quality and quantity. What about the things they're doing that NO COMPANY DARES DO?

You want to know why those companies refuse to do what CIG does? Because of people like you.

Take some responsibility for yourself. Its not an insult. Its the reality of your problem

downout
Jul 6, 2009

Beexoffel posted:

see
roadmap
frustration
priority
long
work
pushed back
system
time

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Sunswipe posted:

"Noteworthy."

it is noteworthy.
the problem is that they'll either not work, work poorly, be hard to click because of the fuckhuge "insight" text, or be less convenient than pressing a key. and also it'll take them 17 years to add them to the other ships.

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

Whole lot of "heal the wound" "pull the knife out of the wound" talk going on here.

Anyone else getting a really creepy vibe?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

MedicineHut posted:

The Angry Joe gang reacts to Crobbers ramblings

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZ4fM6dUEGI&t=670s

He totally rips them a new one, but the whole "I don't think its a scam.... but they're selling virtual land in a game that doesn't exist and its horseshit"

Yeah the word for that IS "scam"

Just call it what it is. Maybe in year-1 Roberts had an inkling to make a game, but here in 2020 its very clear he's not even trying. CIG exists to get money from backers, not to make games.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

monkeytek posted:

Whole lot of "heal the wound" "pull the knife out of the wound" talk going on here.

Anyone else getting a really creepy vibe?

quote:

When it matches nearly word for word the attacks of absolute haters and trolls who have nothing but ill will for this community and CIG and the game itself, no, it really is not pathetic.

If you want your constructive criticism to be heard, you've got to JOIN us and be part of the solution. We need to cut out the cancer in this community, and once it is gone, then and only then can we have discourse.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

DigitalPenny posted:

What gets me this was a reply to why air is randomly scattered around in the game and doors dont work.

The doors work fine! In fact everything works better than you can imagine!!!

(Ignoring the result that if its not fun, its not fun, and so "this isn't a bug its a feature" actually means the game design itself is rotten, but Roberts can't see that)

monkeytek posted:

Ahhh, I think you're on to something. Running servers is expensive. This explains everything! Roberts is designing the game to be as un-fun as possible to save on server costs!

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

SHUN THE NON BELIEVER

SHUUUUUUUUUNNNNNNNNN

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

I have my magnifier out but still cannot see:

Fun

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Zaphod42 posted:

He totally rips them a new one, but the whole "I don't think its a scam.... but they're selling virtual land in a game that doesn't exist and its horseshit"

Yeah the word for that IS "scam"

Just call it what it is. Maybe in year-1 Roberts had an inkling to make a game, but here in 2020 its very clear he's not even trying. CIG exists to get money from backers, not to make games.

I think they want to do without the raging backers and the threats in the comments.

But yeah, they pretty much said "I don't think it's a scam, but really it is".

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

JugbandDude posted:

Going back in time, since Store Citizer was announced in 2012, I have:
1) Moved out of my parent's place to live with my gf
2) Got married with the same gf
3) Had a beautiful girl
4) Moved to the US
6) Bought our own house
7) Adopted a new family member

Thanks Chris Roberts for providing so many fine jpegs and comedy during all of this time

thats fun, because since sc was announced i...

1) Moved back to my parent's place because my job then made me sick
2) met, loved and lost my dreamgirl (she is married to an actor from switzerland now)
3) got hospialized because of a complete breakdown
4) found a new job which is okay i guess
6) Bought two motorbikes
7) Adopted the lifestyle of a hermit

lol, i wish you all the best in any case!

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

peter gabriel posted:

chrispire.txt

That power conduit is powered by the worst type of electricity.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

That power conduit is powered by the worst type of electricity.

It's shrinks by a third every decade

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Bumble He posted:

thats fun, because since sc was announced i...

1) Moved back to my parent's place because my job then made me sick
2) met, loved and lost my dreamgirl (she is married to an actor from switzerland now)
3) got hospialized because of a complete breakdown
4) found a new job which is okay i guess
6) Bought two motorbikes
7) Adopted the lifestyle of a hermit

lol, i wish you all the best in any case!

should've bought an 890?

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
I like how in Star Citizen, the people who have expectations and want results and want accountability are the people who need to be removed. :)

Like, outside of the CEO posters who agree everything is ok, I hope they realize the absence of these people is why you are nearly a decade into development with almost nothing working, and the ceo is attacking backers and going on tirades about ship rooms that have gas levels in them and that it's totally working just not really, and how dare you question them.

SC1 could have been done by now as a freelancer clone with a new paint job.

SC2 could be who knows what. :)

By claiming to be great does not make one great, which is exactly what CR does. Like seriously, what kind of MSDOS level skills do people think he has to contribute to any modern game engine? What kind of 90's level programming makes him the purveyor build the most complex MMO the world has ever seen? When he played his game once and looked like he never used a computer for a decade, never saw his own game running before, and was bewildered even buy stuff like the chat system, what filled you with confidence? :)

Nearly a decade in and you've got what amounts to amateur hour level programming and modding with good artists behind it. :)

No MMO or even a framework for one. :)

Random kitbashed systems that aren't linked or have the bare minimum of connectivity to the point some things just don't work outside of singular expectations that were specifically programmed in for that one system. :)

The complete and utter ability to show a roadmap... realize this isn't something that shouldn't have ever not existed. This is like core level foundations for what needs to be built and when and how. This isn't just something you make suddenly 8 years in. :)

The only thing... the literal only thing, CIG wants is to convince you that they are making progress y so you keep spending money. :)

Actual progress is not required, and can even hurt the appearance of, fake progress. :)

This is 8 years of faked progress to convince you that a project is doing good enough to spend money on. :)

Now even faking progress is progress, because something has to come together. But there's no core to any of it, no big goal. Each milestone is just "convince people this feature works great", and you all know how that goes. :)

Without advanced knowledge, the game is so shoddy you're getting tutorials about how to kill people in non combat zones while you can't even figure out hope to operate an elevator panel. :)

Sure you can save it, and contrite to fake progress, but both of these is years... decades or more, away. :)

Even if they tried to get stuff in and made a genuine effort... you're looking at a decade at least to get a solid core and maybe half of the junk promises so far. :)

marumaru
May 20, 2013

yeah but chris made a post the other day that says they're working on pipes and stuff you can't rush dreams?

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Inacio posted:

it is noteworthy.
the problem is that they'll either not work, work poorly, be hard to click because of the fuckhuge "insight" text, or be less convenient than pressing a key. and also it'll take them 17 years to add them to the other ships.

https://imgur.com/a/BlvZqPU

yep lol

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

The Titanic posted:

I like how in Star Citizen, the people who have expectations and want results and want accountability are the people who need to be removed. :)

Like, outside of the CEO posters who agree everything is ok, I hope they realize the absence of these people is why you are nearly a decade into development with almost nothing working, and the ceo is attacking backers and going on tirades about ship rooms that have gas levels in them and that it's totally working just not really, and how dare you question them.

quote:

Its a good drat thing you don't have accountability then. Your trying to hold them accountable for things they've no need to be held to. If people like you were making an impact on CIG, you'd be harming the very game you claim to want not to fail.

You can call me blind. I can also say you're imagining things. In the end, the one truth is CIG need to keep making their game, and that they are. Inherently the negative viewpoints are wrong here - they accomplish nothing but harming the community itself. That's why I want the negative people to go away or change.

Wintermutant
Oct 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
I know y'all don't know me because I mostly lurk, but I just wanted to apologize for doubting any of you. It's not that I expected Star Citizen to be good but I thought there surely had to be some comedic hyperbole going on. There was not, and if anything y'all are underselling what a pile of poo poo it is. It occurred to me while manually uninstalling (since they can't even get that right after 7+ years) that a game hasn't made me this angry since I was a controller-throwing child.

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Were those not fine days, when we drank of clear honey, and spoke in calm tones of our love for the stuff?
Not only have the been working on a new roadmap since January, but it's actually been a TOP PRIORITY from Crobbear himself.

A ROADMAP

TOP PRIORITY FOR THE LAST 10 MONTHS

10 YEARS INTO DEVELOPMENT

IT STILL DOESN'T EXIST

Nicholas fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Sep 15, 2020

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Inacio posted:

yeah but chris made a post the other day that says they're working on pipes and stuff you can't rush dreams?

I liked his post because it showed that Star citizen will never be a CIG product. It's a CR product. If they lose CR they're going to lose all that sweet backer money also. :)

And this isn't a dream so much as a kick the can down the road as long as possible. And yes, they can continue do that. :)

Nothing says they are making a fun experience where an inordinate amount of time is spent talking about how a bullet will pierce a ship and affect a system and eventually it will break and people will have to put on suits to go solve the problem while argon levels are going bonkers. :)

Like the thought here is that in a fight, one bullet is going to cause this cascade of gameplay things you see. :)

Like the guy attacking you is just going to stop because his one bullet hurt you, and give you time to do all this movie-level stuff that will never happen. :)

What will happen is ships will shoot at each other until one of them goes boom. I guess in the aftermath the one that didn't go boom can do all this great cinematic stuff and heal their ship in a super tedious way... but what about your second battle?

What about the 100th kill you've made, and you know that you have to climb back into your suit to get to the no pressure zone to hold you mouse button down on the damaged component until a "fixing" bar goes to 100%? :)

Everything CR has ever said sounds great until you actually put it into context of a video game. Where you have to do "some action" pretty often. Everything he describes is a movie thing. Where the heroes do it exactly once, and it has meaning because "drama".

But in a video game, where you could be replaying the same movie sequence over and over 100's of times or more... it's not so awesome. :)

But that would take somebody asking CR about how he sees this stuff going down for like your dozenth fight, and how that's going to be fun to keep people playing the game and how it will somehow all tie back together. Maybe in like some kind of design document or something where all this is laid out and makes sense.

It's all good though. This stuff isn't made to be fun, it's made to make it sound like it's something more than it is (hitting use on a broken piece of wall until it is healed). :)

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Wintermutant posted:

I know y'all don't know me because I mostly lurk, but I just wanted to apologize for doubting any of you. It's not that I expected Star Citizen to be good but I thought there surely had to be some comedic hyperbole going on. There was not, and if anything y'all are underselling what a pile of poo poo it is. It occurred to me while manually uninstalling (since they can't even get that right after 7+ years) that a game hasn't made me this angry since I was a controller-throwing child.

Wintermutant, his eyes open.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

The Titanic posted:

But that would take somebody asking CR about how he sees this stuff going down for like your dozenth fight, and how that's going to be fun to keep people playing the game and how it will somehow all tie back together. Maybe in like some kind of design document or something where all this is laid out and makes sense.

It's all good though. This stuff isn't made to be fun, it's made to make it sound like it's something more than it is (hitting use on a broken piece of wall until it is healed). :)

The sad part is, the developers in the company are also probably reading this stuff for the first time. It's either Crobbler's last night's dream or something he thought up at some point, maybe thrown around in a meeting or a chat specifying that "it's not a joke!" and... that was it.

No design document, no details of how it would fit in the game context, no consideration of the complexity it adds to the mechanics, the new hellscape of bugs it will introduce, the tediousness, the slowdown of the action. Or the fact that technically they can't even properly implement basic stuff on a level beyond tier zero.

It's still the logic of "just do it, alright I'm heading out now, see ya".

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Popete posted:

Star Wars Squadrons is gonna own and you nerds are gonna be stuck playing Star Citizen free train events

One does not simply play Star Citizen free train events.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

ah still going hard with that tape deck in a toyota look from the early 90's I see

oh and ping... pinging in space... like a submarine ?

give it up crobbler, no one wants to play submarine hunter in SPACE you total git

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

AbstractNapper posted:

The sad part is, the developers in the company are also probably reading this stuff for the first time. It's either Crobbler's last night's dream or something he thought up at some point, maybe thrown around in a meeting or a chat specifying that "it's not a joke!" and... that was it.

No design document, no details of how it would fit in the game context, no consideration of the complexity it adds to the mechanics, the new hellscape of bugs it will introduce, the tediousness, the slowdown of the action. Or the fact that technically they can't even properly implement basic stuff on a level beyond tier zero.

It's still the logic of "just do it, alright I'm heading out now, see ya".

Or the fact that even if it worked perfectly from a technological standpoint, it would never happen during gameplay in a million years.

It's funny, but Chris doesn't know what a movie is OR what a game is. I'm not sure how you go through life imagining you have these "passions" and the whole time you're scamming others, you're primarily scamming yourself.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Inacio posted:

Star Citizen: It's all pipes dreams from here on.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Wintermutant posted:

Ayyyy it's legit shite

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

All that poo poo that Chris wrote about his "room system in combat" is not even 'never been done before'.

It's just a Chris Roberts way of making a poorly thought out 'sim' version of a system of which is already in Sea of Thieves.

Sea of Thieves you go into combat with another ship and has you get hit, you get holes that allows water to start to full your ship. Someone on your crew has to patch these holes before you take on to much water and sink. Once the holes are fix, or as they are being fixed, the water must be bailed out. All while you maybe still in combat - which, unlike Star Citizen - can include enemies boarding you ship and fight man to man. (Or they may just look to steal your chests).

This is all relatively fun due to it being executed with a level of gameplay balance and presented in a fun stylistic way.

Am I right about that, that really that is what Chris is saying - that he wants to be more like Sea of Thieves?

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Kosumo posted:

All that poo poo that Chris wrote about his "room system in combat" is not even 'never been done before'.

It's just a Chris Roberts way of making a poorly thought out 'sim' version of a system of which is already in Sea of Thieves.

Sea of Thieves you go into combat with another ship and has you get hit, you get holes that allows water to start to full your ship. Someone on your crew has to patch these holes before you take on to much water and sink. Once the holes are fix, or as they are being fixed, the water must be bailed out. All while you maybe still in combat - which, unlike Star Citizen - can include enemies boarding you ship and fight man to man. (Or they may just look to steal your chests).

This is all relatively fun due to it being executed with a level of gameplay balance and presented in a fun stylistic way.

Am I right about that, that really that is what Chris is saying - that he wants to be more like Sea of Thieves?

someone insert that picture of chris in the space submarine looking up towards the 'ceiling' being like "SHHH EVERYONE SHUT UP OR THEY'LL HEAR US AND DROP SPACE-DEPTH CHARGES!"

did i dream that?

Zwiebel
Feb 19, 2011

Hi!
Star Citizen is the video game re-enactment of Sunset Boulevard.

Croberts is Norma Desmond.
The backers are Max.
Sandi is Joe.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Blue On Blue posted:

someone insert that picture of chris in the space submarine looking up towards the 'ceiling' being like "SHHH EVERYONE SHUT UP OR THEY'LL HEAR US AND DROP SPACE-DEPTH CHARGES!"

did i dream that?

Are you thinking of the scene from the WC movie?

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

peter gabriel posted:

I have my magnifier out but still cannot see:

Fun

It's just next to "Finished"

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Sunswipe posted:

Are you thinking of the scene from the WC movie?

probably, it sounds stupid so most assuredly it was in his movie

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Kosumo posted:

Now imagine that each component (bucket) you use to fix the ships systems (holes) costs a few dollars and that's closer to the SC experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Blue On Blue posted:

probably, it sounds stupid so most assuredly it was in his movie

Oh, it was. I can't find the scene on Youtube, but there's a sequence where the good guys have to stay quiet in their spaceship so the space cats can't hear them in the vacuum of space. It's mind-blowingly loving stupid. And I'm pretty sure Ben Lesnick has written at length about why actually, no, it totally makes sense and you just don't understand Chris Roberts' brilliance.