Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Time for Wout to raise some eyebrows again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
"They've stripped this group right down to just the GC riders."
"And Wout van Aert."

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

I'd love it, love it, if there was a GC attack with more than 500m to go at some point in this race.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

I'd love it, love it, if there was a GC attack with more than 500m to go at some point in this race.

How? Congrats you've put in an attack from 3km out and managed to drop Roglic. Hope you can recover fast enough that Dumoulin doesnt just cruise up to you with Roglic on his wheel before the line.

Dumoulin gone too? No worries Sepp Kuss will do it.

Attack earlier on the climb? Bennett.

To gap Roglic early you'd have to kill his team off first and there simply isnt the strength in UAE to do it, and the other riders cant win so wont bother.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I can't tell if everyone is happy sky have been overthrown now. I mean this is what everyone wanted right?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

i was hoping Astana would bring some hyperdope and try to replicate Saunier Duval 2007. very sad

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

https://twitter.com/ammattipyoraily/status/1305778838987780097

https://twitter.com/ammattipyoraily/status/1305893808958246913

The Finnish cycling guy on Twitter made some money today

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
2007 doping was loving wild. this is still the most surreal poo poo i've ever seen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrPMUcEHsRY

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

serious gaylord posted:

How? Congrats you've put in an attack from 3km out and managed to drop Roglic. Hope you can recover fast enough that Dumoulin doesnt just cruise up to you with Roglic on his wheel before the line.

Dumoulin gone too? No worries Sepp Kuss will do it.

Attack earlier on the climb? Bennett.

To gap Roglic early you'd have to kill his team off first and there simply isnt the strength in UAE to do it, and the other riders cant win so wont bother.

Pogacar probably can't but someone down in 5th or so in GC could, in the hopes that it causes a peloton standoff for eg Jumbo trying to coax work out of the GC teams for 2nd/3rd/4th.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The problem of hyper-domestiques is still there. It's just one team forming the big train and riding it up the mountains again. Sometimes it does get stretched out and Rog is left with maybe only one chum, but that is being properly controlled to happen when everyone else has had none for the past 5km.

They are out-sky-ing them.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
tbh this kind of reminds me of the similarly bad 2009 TDF where they really wanted a Final Showdown on Ventoux and as a result the race was too easy and mostly sucked

hopefully they do a more normal route next year, i know starting in Nice makes things weird by default, but...

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

2007 doping was loving wild. this is still the most surreal poo poo i've ever seen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrPMUcEHsRY

Ricco was the most hilariously doped up rider, possibly in cycling history. One of the reasons it took so long to catch him was he'd started as a junior so his blood tests had always been abnormal.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Ricco was the most hilariously doped up rider, possibly in cycling history. One of the reasons it took so long to catch him was he'd started as a junior so his blood tests had always been abnormal.

this was the same period where it seemed like Rasmussen was making it his mission to solo win every mountain stage. pure wild west poo poo

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Pogacar probably can't but someone down in 5th or so in GC could, in the hopes that it causes a peloton standoff for eg Jumbo trying to coax work out of the GC teams for 2nd/3rd/4th.

Yates tried two days ago but the Jumbotrain pulled him back easily

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

gently caress apparently Ricco now runs an ice cream shop in Tenerife and you can book training camps with him. I've missed out on years of jokes about why sky had their training camps there.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

tbh this kind of reminds me of the similarly bad 2009 TDF where they really wanted a Final Showdown on Ventoux and as a result the race was too easy and mostly sucked

hopefully they do a more normal route next year, i know starting in Nice makes things weird by default, but...

If you take out the crosswind stage the top 5 is within a few seconds of each other which given theres a mountain time trial and tomorrows silly stage to come would be quite exciting. However Roglic has a 40s buffer and if Jumbo let the break go tomorrow theres no bonus seconds either. On current form he isn't losing 40s to Pog tomorrow and unlikely to on the TT as well.

Who knows though, maybe he'll poo poo himself all day tomorrow and something unexpected happens.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
Performance ice cream.

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.
Beautiful ride from Kamna today. Made one attack exactly when necessary and made it stick.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

Skarsnik posted:

I can't tell if everyone is happy sky have been overthrown now. I mean this is what everyone wanted right?

Yes. In comparison, this is pretty good.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

Skarsnik posted:

I’m loving it.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Roglic is cool and I dont think theres a nasty person on the entire team so its the same dominance but with the world not hating it.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
the giro will probably be more exciting. what a route, phwoar

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004
so at least we can all agree cancellara never had a motor in his bike

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

https://twitter.com/ProCyclingStats/status/1306114719183523841?s=19

Rip, sweet prince

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

rip little eggy

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
That really doesnt track with his behaviour yesterday. He seemed happy and laughing around so everyone figured he was dropping time to get in the break.

Ineos really, really hosed up their squad.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

He's a good lad that means well, hope for some epic GC battles with Pogacar over the next few years.

Think this is PR from Ineos. Better to pull him and have people think it's his back than expose him in a break and it just be clear he didn't have the legs and they messed up selection.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
I quite like Bernal which means he should join another team. This also applies to Kwiatkowski.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

Landa, Yates, Uran and Lopez having people up the road would make them more likely to attack, lets hope anyway

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Tiny break today given the terrain.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
https://twitter.com/tomowencc/status/1305908051912916992

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Could blow up the race a bit if the break gets much more time than this. Non-Jumbo teams with top 10 riders are not gonna be happy with Carapaz too far up the road.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The gap is small enough. Jumbo have been TTTing their way along the road without much issue due to Tony's diesel. I don't think anyone expects them to make it.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

2 bees off the back :eyepop:

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I can see Tony, he was pulling them pretty much all along the valley. Was Jansen his junior rotating partner?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Bahrain trying something :eyepop:

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Looking forward to Landa going backwards when it's his turn

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Lmao @ Colbrelli murdering the peloton.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

serious gaylord posted:

Bahrain trying something :eyepop:

https://twitter.com/ginevragarga/status/1306210407611277312?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
I always knew Sonny Colbrelli was a better climber than Nairo.