Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
My previous king literally got the bubonic plague (no one else at my court did), and it mostly just turned his nose black.

Then he was dying from bubonic plague.

Then he got better, the plague was cured, he stopped being on death's doorstep and lived another couple years after that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

Xanderkish posted:

Playing CK3 as the Byzantines. First guy was typical Byzantine Emperor stuff -- you know, conquering land, building your domain, blackmailing people and then demanding they pay you.

Second guy was blind dude so good at diplomacy he forcibly vassalized several small kingdoms.

Third guy was an extremely learned and devout mystic who was unfortunately outed as a sodomite early in his rule after he got too drunk at a feast and spilled the beans. Though he wanted to wage a holy war to conquer an entire kingdom, he died before he was able to become pious enough to overcome his disrepute and do just that.

Fortunately, his son, an expert torturer with a penchant for cannibalism, was plenty pious to do just that. He also made a point to arrange the assassination of four Khazarian rulers, two of whom were children. He dealt with the strain on his conscience by stress-eating prisoners.

I'm having a great time.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

How do you make a new religion? Do I have to be not-tribal, or already following an organized religion first?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Jay Rust posted:

How do you make a new religion? Do I have to be not-tribal, or already following an organized religion first?

Yeah as an unreformed religion you can only reform. Then you can make a new heresy out of the reformed religion as the next ruler.

Reforming lets you do pretty much whatever you want though, so the main difference is not being allowed to edit the names and stuff.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I wanted to make a new, permissive version of Viking that evolved on the British Isles, but it’s asking me to conquer Scandinavia for the holy sites... Kinda fucks up the fantasy

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Pretty sure you cannot change the holy sites regardless, they will always be the same as the parent religion you're making a new one from. In any case you can just snag three counties with holy sites from the factions that control them. Especially easy as vikings with their Conquest CBs.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

Broken Cog posted:

Pretty sure you cannot change the holy sites regardless, they will always be the same as the parent religion you're making a new one from. In any case you can just snag three counties with holy sites from the factions that control them. Especially easy as vikings with their Conquest CBs.

Dammit. I want to make a new religion where all of the holy sites are coincidentally located near my house.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Playing as a Viking with the bordergore removal mod means no easy way to grab those holy sites, got no one to blame but myself. Thinking about converting to Catholic and then making a norsefied version of that

The mod works really well btw.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
All the Norse holy sites are a stone's thrown down the continent from Denmark, how hard can it be?

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Xanderkish posted:

Dammit. I want to make a new religion where all of the holy sites are coincidentally located near my house.

In my Ireland game I spent one lifetime reviving insular christianity, and then a subsequent one transforming it into a gnostic incest cult. Three holy sites right on my doorstep, one of which gives +30% conversion speed in the isles.

Speaking of conversions, one little trick I've found to quickly converting conquered land, if you demand conversion of a ruler, their capital province instantly converts to the new religion too if the ruler and county religions match. So if you conquer an entire kingdom, scour your realm for characters of the same religion as the land you conquered, grant them counties, and demand their conversions. The land is pretty much instantly transformed to your religion.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Reveilled posted:

In my Ireland game I spent one lifetime reviving insular christianity, and then a subsequent one transforming it into a gnostic incest cult. Three holy sites right on my doorstep, one of which gives +30% conversion speed in the isles.

Speaking of conversions, one little trick I've found to quickly converting conquered land, if you demand conversion of a ruler, their capital province instantly converts to the new religion too if the ruler and county religions match. So if you conquer an entire kingdom, scour your realm for characters of the same religion as the land you conquered, grant them counties, and demand their conversions. The land is pretty much instantly transformed to your religion.

Yeah, this is so strong it almost feels like an exploit. It also makes squishing heresy outbreaks easy if your realm likes you/fears you, since you can demand conversions from your vassal's vassals..

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
Have I got a story for you.

Russian translation is bad. It uses very boring fonts and have numerous MISSING_TEXT and just plain mistakes. So there's a mod that fixes all of that.
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2223426891

But if you read the comments it "fixes" some sexuality issues. No homosexuals or bisexuals are spawned. Asexuals are still there, 1% just like in vanilla. 99% of characters "are now normal people". Naturally there's nothing about those changes in the description, just talk about fonts and fixes.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Wait I'm starting to think that the reason I don't keep my vassals when I hand out counties is that I'm a woman. I don't know why that would make any difference, but I can do it with a male Duke just fine, tried it with the Duke of Aquitaine at the 1066 start. Anyone know any non-independent duchess starts I can hop into quickly to test it out.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

PittTheElder posted:

Wait I'm starting to think that the reason I don't keep my vassals when I hand out counties is that I'm a woman. I don't know why that would make any difference, but I can do it with a male Duke just fine, tried it with the Duke of Aquitaine at the 1066 start. Anyone know any non-independent duchess starts I can hop into quickly to test it out.

I'm pretty sure it's not that, it may have something to do with inheritance. But my go-to not-independent duchess is Matilda of Tuscany in 1066 (I use her to test a lot of stuff when modding).

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Is there a mechanic where enemy armies can engage my armies one at a time in the same map tile? Or is this a bug?

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Arglebargle III posted:

Is there a mechanic where enemy armies can engage my armies one at a time in the same map tile? Or is this a bug?

I've seen this happen if there are multiple overlapping wars or a raid. If you're fighting a raider and an enemy army enters your tile it will wait for the battle to finish before starting a new one.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

now I'm picturing a bunch of armies surrounding a battle, all kindly waiting for their turn like ninjas in a kung-fu movie.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

All the Norse holy sites are a stone's thrown down the continent from Denmark, how hard can it be?

The mod in question nerfs the CB very harshly - it cuts it down to only land (and land bridge) neighbours, no overseas use at all even if its relatively close.

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Sep 15, 2020

strong bird
May 12, 2009

wheres the patch johan

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Having spent the last hour dealing with being over my vassal limit, I'd love to see a decision added to "grant all vassals to their de jure liege" to clean up all these random counts/etc that got orphaned with me instead of with a more reasonable duke/king

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!
Anyone know of the best way to maximize renown? And if the answer is "gently caress" just say the word and I will gently caress.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I'm pretty sure the best way is to have as many independent members of your dynasty running kingdoms as possible

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Early game, try to get your dynasty members on independent thrones, or at least married to kings and dukes. Every independent ruler or spouse of your dynasty adds renown gain per month, and it really stacks up after a while.

Additionally, there's a perk in the middle diplomacy tree that gives you a decision to write an Epic, this can give you a boost of about 75-150 renown every 10 years.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
Meet Empress Gisela 'the Anointed' of Alba, Empress of the Empires of Alba and Francia, Queen of Ireland, England, Wales and Alba (Scotland).

Her stats are... rather impressive.

And since the last Great Holy War for Andalusia just got it Holy Warred right back by the Muwalladists, we're about to go do it again to kick the non-Catholics out of Iberia for hopefully the last time.

Also, the King of Burgundy would be my vassal as Empress of Francia too right now, except the fool got himself excommunicated almost immediately on taking the throne of Burgundy as a teenager and thus has been fighting wars constantly now for over a decade so I can't vassalize him yet. I might just murderize him instead and vassalize his successor if he can get his poo poo sorted out.

And here's what the larger world looks like. It's kind of interesting that the HRE has stuck around more or less whole for the last 200 years or so uninterrupted.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

Azhais posted:

I'm pretty sure the best way is to have as many independent members of your dynasty running kingdoms as possible

Broken Cog posted:

Early game, try to get your dynasty members on independent thrones, or at least married to kings and dukes. Every independent ruler or spouse of your dynasty adds renown gain per month, and it really stacks up after a while.

Additionally, there's a perk in the middle diplomacy tree that gives you a decision to write an Epic, this can give you a boost of about 75-150 renown every 10 years.

These notions of "Independence" unfortunately conflict with my desire to have a massive world-spanning Byzantine Empire. Maybe once I annex the Nordic lands I'll make a little renown farm of tiny kingdoms which I smack down from time to time when they get too gutsy.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

If you want to really game it, give them one county surrounded by you and a title equal to whatever you have, then they'll just hang out as a little renown farm forever.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

strong bird posted:

wheres the patch johan

This. Where is the patch you peace of poo poo.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

PittTheElder posted:

If you want to really game it, give them one county surrounded by you and a title equal to whatever you have, then they'll just hang out as a little renown farm forever.

I am playing as the Byzantine Empire. I absolutely want to game it.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Azhais posted:

I believe they don't have to actually be independent rulers to increase renown, so long as their liege is not of the same dynasty.

Caustic Soda
Nov 1, 2010

ilitarist posted:

Russian translation is bad. It uses very boring fonts and have numerous MISSING_TEXT and just plain mistakes. So there's a mod that fixes all of that.

But if you read the comments it "fixes" some sexuality issues. No homosexuals or bisexuals are spawned. Asexuals are still there, 1% just like in vanilla. 99% of characters "are now normal people". Naturally there's nothing about those changes in the description, just talk about fonts and fixes.

Wow. It's hard to imagine a headspace so homophobic, a literally medieval setting isn't homophobic enough. That's absurd. If that kind of attitude didn't affect innocent people, it'd be so whacked out it was funny.

That it gets lumped in without mention in a mod whose main purpose is completely unrelated seems downright normal by comparison.

Jaytan
Dec 14, 2003

Childhood enlistment means fewer birthdays to remember

strong bird posted:

wheres the patch johan

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

When you die you get that kinda cool screen that shows your past kings and queens or whatever.

Any way to access that screen normally?

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

ilitarist posted:

The comments are worth reading:

quote:

Mr. Sandman Sep 14 @ 10:10 am
Can homoges be returned? It's still gameplay, apparently you don't like them, and I don't really like them, but they have historically existed and their absence leads to the loss of part of the gaming experience. Ah, this wonderful moment when your super warrior heir turns out to be rear wheel drive. And so the mod qualitatively changes the game.

quote:

EL_MIRADOR [author] Sep 14 @ 10:24 am
Mr. Sandman
Speaking of garlic, I am a fan of the Viking age and love playing the scenarios of the invasion of the sons of Ragnar Lothbrok in the British Isles, and for all sides of the conflict. So in vanilla without a mod, it was in the British Isles that every second or third character at the start turned out to be a cockerel (including the legendary kings and kings of Halfdan, Anaraud and Runa), about which there are no hints at all in the chronicles of their homosexuality. Therefore, I restore historical justice and remove the cock's mark from people who do not deserve it.

:stare:

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Uh, why did my characters house switch from the main branch to his mothers sub branch on succession? Still running Confederate Partition, so no elective shenanigans, and he wasn't landed until he inherited, so I see no reason for why he isn't in the main branch like his father (my last character).

Has it something to do with my last character divorcing the mother for some reason?

Edit: The House Head title also went to one of the younger brothers for some reason, I don't get this house inheritance system at all.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Sep 15, 2020

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
So my current game is in the place where I'm not planning any more expansion (conquered Britain and Ireland, formed Britannia, rapidly genociding culture-converting the Saxons and Norse off the islands with the speed boost from the Reclaim Britannia decision), the main goal is planting my dynasty on other thrones and keeping them there through carefully applied force, and the main threat is now civil wars (unless the united Muslim Spain or the Karling France that just took Lotharingia get uppity I guess, but the latter are still on Confederate Partition for some reason and the current king has four sons so WELP).

Anyway, the latest Liberty Faction I'm fighting has run into a neat little wrinkle that works differently than I remember from CK2:

Heirs don't automatically replace their predecessors in a faction/civil war anymore? So as the new game's insanely lethal battles (plus my four 20+ prowess superknights) kill off rebel dukes, even when I lose I still win? Is this how it's supposed to work now?

appropriatemetaphor posted:

When you die you get that kinda cool screen that shows your past kings and queens or whatever.

Any way to access that screen normally?

Click the magnifying glass at the left end of the speed/date bar, select Lineage.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Xanderkish posted:

These notions of "Independence" unfortunately conflict with my desire to have a massive world-spanning Byzantine Empire. Maybe once I annex the Nordic lands I'll make a little renown farm of tiny kingdoms which I smack down from time to time when they get too gutsy.

You can get absurd amounts from having lots of people of your dynasty, independent ruler or not. If you're expanding, just give every single new duchy to a dynasty member, and relatively soon you'll be swimming in renown.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

Playing the William the Conqueror scenario. Currently at the start of third generation. Richard inherited from William and had a very lengthy feud with the son of Harold. The rival has three duchies: Northumbria, Lancaster, and York. I don’t like him having that much power and also hating me. Dude also had claims on chunks of Wales as well but I fabricated enough claims there to take over and form the Kingdom of Wales.

Well, in the last month of Richard’s life, his rival becomes a known family torturer and can be arrested. So I slammed that button hard and sent how rear end to the dungeons. Then Richard dies and Dick 2 takes over.

I have the option of stripping a title from the guy but I want to be smart about how I do it since no one particularly likes me at the moment.

If I take a duchy, do I take the counties he has under it? It would be very nice to cut his power down immensely.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Sigh, why do my underage siblings randomly leave court? Now I need to murder a bunch of would-be spouses to get them back.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
The leaving mechanic is weird. I have an ! next to one of my kids saying he's going to leave my court soon unless I give him a reason to stay. He's a knight and spymaster and married with kids. Seems like I've ticked the "you have a job" button, so not sure what the deal is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

Strudel Man posted:

You can get absurd amounts from having lots of people of your dynasty, independent ruler or not. If you're expanding, just give every single new duchy to a dynasty member, and relatively soon you'll be swimming in renown.

Excellent, because this is exactly what I'm doing. Every time my spouse gets pregnant, I'm all excited because that means I have another dynasty member I can drop my latest conquests onto.

So I guess I was right the first time-- the answer is loving.