Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Croatoan posted:

So I watched episode 4 of The Boys and how in the gently caress does that dude think Stormfront isn't racist? What's his handle anyway?

It's because he's a racist and doing a bunch of bad faith arguments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Hey I haven't watched or thought about Ancient Aliens in years so can someone explain the drama behind this?
https://twitter.com/indyfromspace/status/1305660869574094854?s=20

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Hey I haven't watched or thought about Ancient Aliens in years so can someone explain the drama behind this?

Ancient Aliens is a racist show because it presupposes that these enormous monumental feats of engineering built by ancient non-western civilizations that have lasted thousands of years were the work of aliens because brown folks aren't smart.

Rando
Mar 11, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Because ancient aliens is garbage that denies the accomplishments of non-white civilizations by claiming aliens did it

Efb

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Oh look an excuse to post my favourite ever meme image

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Rando posted:

It's busier than CD and it's got two.

Blockbuster Video isn't a subforum of CD, it was explicitly created as a counterpart with a different philosophy on discussing film. The fact that it was dead on arrival is mostly because it turns out that people who don't want to discuss films in a critical or meaningful way don't actually have much to say outside of making fun of the people who do for being cringe, and when they weren't allowed to do that they just scattered to the wind.

Theoretically I could see an alternative to TVIV that is focused on people watching old shows for the first time having a purpose: This subforum's spoiler policy being that anything that has aired doesn't need to be tagged works well for discussing contemporary ongoing shows where everyone is presumably caught up and watching as it airs but for older shows it means you basically can't discuss it with anyone until you've seen the entire thing. But in practice this subforum doesn't really have many regular posters anymore and even popular shows will sometimes only get a few posts per episode so anyone who wanted to live post about watching old shows or give their thoughts as they get caught up would probably be better served by Twitter.

I guess the compromise is that if you're watching an older show and there isn't already a thread then :justpost: a new one and explain that you don't want to be spoiled and hope that people respect that.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

History channel leaned extremely hard into the fringe myths and conspiracy theories to try and keep their ratings up. Giving those people a platform is garbage because it gives them some semblance of legitimacy.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Sleeveless posted:

I guess the compromise is that if you're watching an older show and there isn't already a thread then :justpost: a new one and explain that you don't want to be spoiled and hope that people respect that.

This.

If you make a thread for an older show and do not want spoilers discussed in it, state that rule in the OP and I will gladly enforce it for the thread.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Here's a very good movie about the Ancient Aliens theory. It doesn't cover all of their claims, but it goes really in depth on a bunch, and it becomes clear that while the Ancient Aliens proponents are extremely ignorant, they are also just straight up lying a lot of the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9w-i5oZqaQ

pentyne posted:

History channel leaned extremely hard into the fringe myths and conspiracy theories to try and keep their ratings up. Giving those people a platform is garbage because it gives them some semblance of legitimacy.

I wouldn't mind if they went with a better conspiracy. Ancient aliens is racist and stupid. Give me an entire series about the theory that the middle ages are made up, I'd watch that.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vc3vt1Gqrn4
Quinton Reviews video about History/Ancient Aliens. He makes the argument that there's not really a point in specifically debunking the claims of Ancient Aliens because most of the time they're such nonsense that they have absolutely no basis in reality. As an example he has clips of a guy who claims that the Moai were alive and that the Rapa Nui eventually "murdered" them.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

The point of debunking ancient alien stuff is that it educates people. Ancient alien theory is successful because people don't know much about old civilizations. So if you take a handful of their less obviously ridiculous claims and explain what they're misinterpreting or lying about, you're also educating people about these old civilizations.

Like the claim that midaeval paintings have UFOs in them. In that video I linked, they go through a quick explanation of what's actually going on there. Depicting the sun and the moon as anthropomorphic figures, with faces, viewing the crucifixion was standard in mideaevel art. In the hundreds of examples of that we have, you can take a couple out of context and the moon had become so stylized that it does look like a UFO. But in context with other mediavail paintings, it becomes clear what they really are. So now the viewer not only knows more about meidaveal art, they also understand how Ancient Alien theorists take things out of their cultural context in order to make them unexplainable.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
It's not the Ancient Aliens guy's fault he's racist, that's just how Greek people are. :dadjoke:

muscles like this! posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vc3vt1Gqrn4
Quinton Reviews video about History/Ancient Aliens. He makes the argument that there's not really a point in specifically debunking the claims of Ancient Aliens because most of the time they're such nonsense that they have absolutely no basis in reality. As an example he has clips of a guy who claims that the Moai were alive and that the Rapa Nui eventually "murdered" them.

Also pretty much everyone who watches and enjoys that show openly says that they know that the ancient alien myths are total bullshit and they watch it because it's funny, pretty much the entire Giorgio Tsoukalos meme was a lampshading of that with people blaming aliens on inconsequential or stupid things. The problem is that even if you consume something ironically you are still exposed to and eventually internalize the concepts on some level and also create more demand for it, like how an entire generation of terminally online people have huge hangups about things like polyamory or open relationships because they've spent years mainlining the obviously fake stories from r/relationships and those are tropes invoked so often because they play well with Reddit's reactionary core leading to more upvotes.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I'm Greek tyvm

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

esperterra posted:

I'm Greek tyvm

Explains so much.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
This looks like it might be fun
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsxWB4IDTrs

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Is Two Weeks to Live any good?

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Sleeveless posted:

It's not the Ancient Aliens guy's fault he's racist, that's just how Greek people are. :dadjoke:

Also pretty much everyone who watches and enjoys that show openly says that they know that the ancient alien myths are total bullshit and they watch it because it's funny, pretty much the entire Giorgio Tsoukalos meme was a lampshading of that with people blaming aliens on inconsequential or stupid things. The problem is that even if you consume something ironically you are still exposed to and eventually internalize the concepts on some level and also create more demand for it, like how an entire generation of terminally online people have huge hangups about things like polyamory or open relationships because they've spent years mainlining the obviously fake stories from r/relationships and those are tropes invoked so often because they play well with Reddit's reactionary core leading to more upvotes.

Ah yes, the "Jersey Shore" effect...

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Why isn’t anyone singing

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
It took a couple months longer than I suspected, but last night I noticed that TV finally ran out of new programming.

Fox is the most egregious because it's literally movie on Monday, Chef Ramsay Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday, with brand new Wrasslin' on Friday.

The other channels still have some game shows, and reality TV, but they're also mostly reruns.

The CW seems to be the only one putting out "new" scripted shows, by importing British TV.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I don’t know if there are any sites showing more, but pogdesign.co.uk/cat is unsurprisingly showing an almost empty calendar for new shows and returns next month. The animated shows that are produced way way in advance are back but that’s about it. Not listed is the NBC covid sitcom done over zoom, which critics have described as ‘absolutely the one thing I screamed into the sky months ago pleading not to happen’, altho by that I mean me.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Looks like NBC shows are starting back up

https://twitter.com/FINALLEVEL/status/1305838059607523329

https://twitter.com/FINALLEVEL/status/1305839862373900289

e: aayyyyy
https://twitter.com/starwars/status/1305869108978708480

zoux fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Sep 15, 2020

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

CW has started filming some stuff again, Supernatural finished their last episodes and Batwoman has begun working on s2. Not sure about everything else but a couple of weeks ago Grant Gustin was saying that he was getting ready to get back.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Did they ever say if the new Batwoman was a re-cast or a new character

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

CW has started filming some stuff again, Supernatural finished their last episodes and Batwoman has begun working on s2. Not sure about everything else but a couple of weeks ago Grant Gustin was saying that he was getting ready to get back.

I guess we'll see how long this lasts considering we have Halloween, Thanksgiving/Black Friday, and Christmas all 4 weeks apart this year, which is just going to be perfect for giving everyone the 'rona

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

zoux posted:

Did they ever say if the new Batwoman was a re-cast or a new character

New character, with the overarching story of the season being the mystery of what happened to Kate/original Batwoman.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

CBS All-Access is dead. Just kidding, it's being rebranded into Paramount Plus.

https://www.theverge.com/2020/9/15/21437729/cbs-all-access-paramount-plus-new-name-rebrand-2021-international-disney-hbo

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

New character, with the overarching story of the season being the mystery of what happened to Kate/original Batwoman.

To go along with the mystery of what happened to Ruby Rose

lmao the Boys had a Vought Plus joke this week

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
I really enjoy the Boys but last week I could tell the thread was heading in a clusterfuck direction and now I see hundreds of posts.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

You can probably bet that a CBS All Access rebrand is going to come with new carriage agreements and likely the loss of Roku and Fire TV support.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

EL BROMANCE posted:

I don’t know if there are any sites showing more, but pogdesign.co.uk/cat is unsurprisingly showing an almost empty calendar for new shows and returns next month.

I don't use the overall release page much, but pogdesign tends to add new shows quite late I've found.

Looking at my own page for October the only things I have are:
Warrior S2
Fear the Walking Dead S6
The Amazing Race S36
Eric Andre Show S5

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Shows with seasons that start in the next couple months according to my TV tracker thing:

PEN15
Ratched
Bob’s Burgers
Fargo
Warrior
The Good Lord Bird
The Conners
Superstore
The Undoing
The Eric Andre Show
The Mandalorian
His Dark Materials
The Crown

There’s at least a couple there that have to have started shooting recently, right? Plus we know Fargo only just managed to shoot its last two episodes.

Sumo
Jun 17, 2005

I'm excited to see the baby

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

T-Mobile Tuesday has a 6 month free QuiBi subscription today. This is still not enough to get me to try QuiBi.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Sumo posted:

I'm excited to see the baby

I wanted Teen Yoda. He smokes now, and is rude to his dad.

Looten Plunder posted:

Eric Andre Show S5

Singlehandedly saving 2020.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

oh jay posted:

T-Mobile Tuesday has a 6 month free QuiBi subscription today. This is still not enough to get me to try QuiBi.

It's funny because I just came here to post this. I wonder if this is QuiBi's way to try to hit lagging ad impressions before the end of the year.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Everyone I know who has used Quibi did so to get the new Reno 911 content and immediately bailed.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

bull3964 posted:

It's funny because I just came here to post this. I wonder if this is QuiBi's way to try to hit lagging ad impressions before the end of the year.

They launched with a free six months on T Mobile

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

zoux posted:

They launched with a free six months on T Mobile

That wasn't available to everyone. You had to have at least two lines. The T-Mobile Tuesday deals are available to a wider audience.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

swickles posted:

Everyone I know who has used Quibi did so to get the new Reno 911 content and immediately bailed.

Is it that bad?

Also looking for an episode of Bob's burgers where bob is trying to console somebody and talking about his botd and how he says the names are terrible but he enjoys making them it's in the first 5.5 seasons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I didn't realize Peacock was free* (ads right?). Is it limited in some way or another? I want to watch the new season of AP Bio.