Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

literally this big posted:

I'm hesitant to downgrade the SSD at all. 2TB is certainly more than I'll need for a while, but I don't want to have to replace my main SSD drive later, and I'm not sure if there's even any point to having two NVMe drives?

I've had a 512 SSD for several years and while I've had to juggle which games I kept around, it hasn't really been an issue because I'm not jumping around from AAA to AAA on a weekly basis.

The only problem recently has been that CoD is *HUGE* and so I ended up buying a 1 TB drive and putting a few larger games on that. With a 1 TB drive, you could fit CoD and still have 500 gigs left over.

My solution was to find a motherboard with support for 2x m.2 NVMe drives, but this may also cause your motherboard price to increase (or maybe not.. there's a lot of options/configurations out there). I'm going to run with 2x 1 TB NVMe, one for boot and an extra one for the big games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

sean10mm posted:

Pretty sure Big Navi will have RTX since the next gen consoles have it.

What it won't have is anything like DLSS 2.0. The potential performance gain from that is just too big to ignore IMO.

Also I assume the AMD drivers will be buggy pig poo poo until proven otherwise.

Not pretty sure, but guaranteed. The architecture of RDNA 2 is basically known now from the XBOX and PS 5 press releases. The only thing that is unknown is how having RT acceleration hardware share the same pipe as their Texture Mapping Units will work out for them in terms of cost. Rumors are that they will be less effective than Ampere but better than Turing in this regard. Should match the 3080 in legacy mode though. Much depends on how hard the games will hammer the ray tracing element. Whether it is going to be very selective use or whether they are going to go Control style where it will bring the card to its knees even if it has fixed function RT hardware in it.

AMD will almost assuredly have some sort of image reconstruction upscaling tech in Big Navi. We know there are hints of it in the consoles. We just have no idea whether it is any good in terms of image quality and whether the features will go live on launch or it will have to wait for later driver updates to happen. There is no chance it will beat DLSS though. Though with both console likely adopting some sort of image upscaling maybe AMD has an edge in adoption for whatever they have cooking?

They have been just too quiet though. If I can snag a 3080 FE, I am doing it. If I can't get the FE then I'll wait to see AIB performance levels since apparently Nvidia is dicking them over with binning the best chips for themselves. CP2077 still 2 months away so plenty of time to try and secure something else if I can't get an FE, maybe even Big Navi if they actually release real info.

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!

totalnewbie posted:

I've had a 512 SSD for several years and while I've had to juggle which games I kept around, it hasn't really been an issue because I'm not jumping around from AAA to AAA on a weekly basis.

The only problem recently has been that CoD is *HUGE* and so I ended up buying a 1 TB drive and putting a few larger games on that. With a 1 TB drive, you could fit CoD and still have 500 gigs left over.

My solution was to find a motherboard with support for 2x m.2 NVMe drives, but this may also cause your motherboard price to increase (or maybe not.. there's a lot of options/configurations out there). I'm going to run with 2x 1 TB NVMe, one for boot and an extra one for the big games.
I currently have a 120GB SSD, so I know the struggle.

But it looks like my board has 2x M.2 slots. I didn't realize boards could have more than one slot.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

And to cross-post form the monitor thread: How's this Viewsonic VX2758 for $300? It seems to check all the boxes. 1440p, 144Hz, IPS, HDMI 2.0 / Display Port, VESA compatible.

AFAIK that is the monitor du jour for people who want gaming plus good general use. The only problem is good luck ever getting one because they're always out of stock and everyone is watching like a hawk.

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!

Klyith posted:

AFAIK that is the monitor du jour for people who want gaming plus good general use. The only problem is good luck ever getting one because they're always out of stock and everyone is watching like a hawk.

It looks like you can buy it now and it ships on November 1st.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07VJJXDBX?tag=pcpapi-20&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1

Is that legit? The November 1st time frame works for me.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

MikeC posted:

I'll wait to see AIB performance levels since apparently Nvidia is dicking them over with binning the best chips for themselves.

God loving dammit Nvidia doing this again? They did this with the 20 series too where they kept all the top bin chips for the Founders Editions for like a year, and the AIB partners had to shuffle through the scraps to find parts that would handle an OC.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

I currently have a 120GB SSD, so I know the struggle.

But it looks like my board has 2x M.2 slots. I didn't realize boards could have more than one slot.

Yeah, so I think you might consider just buying a single 1 TB now and seeing how that works out for you. Later, you can expand if you want when prices will surely be less / gb.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Spacedad posted:

Speaking of frontal drive bays, I found out that Valve software uses the Enthoo Pro case extensively in their offices.

The reason why they use that case is because it has four front modular drive bays.

They use those drive bays for a built-in encrypted NAS storage system on each employee workstation PC that keeps the data on the system secure, and can easily hotswap a faulty drive on the front of the system.

There's other uses for frontal drive bays than just hard drives and disk drives of course. There's LED touchscreen fan controllers, rgb controllers, & temp monitors for example. Or i/o expansion slots.

I'm kind of hoping modular front-facing bays make a comeback in the future. They have so many good uses.

Oh man, I just :member:'d the front panel that came with the Sound Blaster Audigy and :allears:

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Klyith posted:

I've been having this problem with the case I want, is there a better way to make sure I get it besides notifications from Amazon? I've gotten a few but the problem is they come at 4am and by the time I wake up they're sold out again.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Badger of Basra posted:

I've been having this problem with the case I want, is there a better way to make sure I get it besides notifications from Amazon? I've gotten a few but the problem is they come at 4am and by the time I wake up they're sold out again.

You can set up a tracker on nowinstock.

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!
OK. Now that I know I have a second NVMe slot to expand with, I'm OK with a 1TB SSD to start. So that brings my build to this:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($299.99 @ B&H)
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING B550M-PLUS (WI-FI) Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($179.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($74.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: HP EX950 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($154.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: MSI GeForce RTX 3070 8 GB VENTUS 3X Video Card ($500.00)
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case ($98.98 @ Newegg)
Monitor: ViewSonic VX2758-2KP-MHD 27.0" 2560x1440 144 Hz Monitor ($299.99 @ B&H)
Total: $1728.92

GPU is a placeholder for a 3070. I still need a PSU and case fans. I believe my case needs 140mm fans right?

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
Looks like 120mm or 140mm fans are both usable according to the specs:

Front: 3 x 120mm (1 x Dynamic X2 GP-12 included) / 2 x 140mm fan

Rear: 1 x 120mm Dynamic X2 GP-12 (included)

Top: 2 x 120mm / 2 x 140mm fan

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
how easy is it to clone a computer with win7 onto a new computer/fresh ssd and then upgrade to windows 10? i know stuff like that has been an issue in the past with windows and i'm not sure if its better to just do a clean install (which i would prefer to avoid, for convenience reasons)

is it just a matter of building the new computer with both drives, booting from the old one and using a cloning program and then booting from the new SSD?

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
Quick question based on the last page's discussion. I have 2 nvme slots on my motherboard, so does that mean that I can add a second ssd later on down the road and install games to that one without any hit to performance? I currently only have a 500GB SSD but if this means I can troll deals and expand later on without even having to move the old data over to the new bigger ssd, that's awesome.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Mikey Purp posted:

Quick question based on the last page's discussion. I have 2 nvme slots on my motherboard, so does that mean that I can add a second ssd later on down the road and install games to that one without any hit to performance? I currently only have a 500GB SSD but if this means I can troll deals and expand later on without even having to move the old data over to the new bigger ssd, that's awesome.

In many ways I would expect you to have slightly better load times because that drive won’t be occupied doing operating system things.

Yeah good times.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Mikey Purp posted:

Yes.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

I still need a PSU and case fans. I believe my case needs 140mm fans right?

With a 3070 you'll be fine with 650w or even just a high-quality 550.

2x noctua redux 140mm PWM are great for the front locations of a meshify. You can more the 120 it comes with in the front to the top as exhaust, or just put it in a spare parts box as a spare.

Verviticus posted:

how easy is it to clone a computer with win7 onto a new computer/fresh ssd and then upgrade to windows 10? i know stuff like that has been an issue in the past with windows and i'm not sure if its better to just do a clean install (which i would prefer to avoid, for convenience reasons)

is it just a matter of building the new computer with both drives, booting from the old one and using a cloning program and then booting from the new SSD?

You can do that. Win7 will probably move to the new PC and boot functionally. However, it may be non-optimal based on a couple different factors. I'd recommend doing it in the other order: update to win10 on the existing machine & drive, then move it to the new PC and do the clone to the new drive (with macrium reflect).

However, IMO a clean install is a way better idea for this situation, and has the possibility of being a lot *more* convenient because there are many less things to go wrong.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Klyith posted:

With a 3070 you'll be fine with 650w or even just a high-quality 550.

2x noctua redux 140mm PWM are great for the front locations of a meshify. You can more the 120 it comes with in the front to the top as exhaust, or just put it in a spare parts box as a spare.

You can do that. Win7 will probably move to the new PC and boot functionally. However, it may be non-optimal based on a couple different factors. I'd recommend doing it in the other order: update to win10 on the existing machine & drive, then move it to the new PC and do the clone to the new drive (with macrium reflect).

However, IMO a clean install is a way better idea for this situation, and has the possibility of being a lot *more* convenient because there are many less things to go wrong.

I just replaced all the fans in my Obsidian 750D with these fans. 2 front 1 exhaust.
Are these fans actually going to make a difference compared to the DC fans? Should I get another one on top?

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Klyith posted:

yeah that's kinda what i was thinking. my problem is that there is some software that's annoying to re-install on the computer as-is. i'll give it a shot to upgrade to win10 and then clone, and I guess in the worst case scenario, i'll just have to re-format

"thanks!" he said as he only took the half of the advice that suited him

Verviticus fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Sep 15, 2020

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Kraftwerk posted:

I just replaced all the fans in my Obsidian 750D with these fans. 2 front 1 exhaust.
Are these fans actually going to make a difference compared to the DC fans? Should I get another one on top?

Noctua fans are good fans. They're quieter and keep higher airflow at low RPM than many other fans. They have good bearings that don't crap out after a couple years. But they're not magic.

I'd buy them when I needed new fans, but I wouldn't bother replacing an existing fan that has the correct speed for the job.

Verviticus posted:

"thanks!" he said as he only took the half of the advice that suited him

the only advice I seriously care about people following is have backups of your personal / important data!

Klyith fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Sep 15, 2020

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

Klyith posted:

the only advice I seriously care about people following is have backups of your personal / important data!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UaPkSU8DNfY

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yay, my MSI Bazooka and Ryzen 3600 and Coolermaster Hyper 212 are here, I can't wait. Should be easy to set up, let me just check the mounting and CPU and fan install instructions to make surJESUS CHRIST what the gently caress

These instructions with all the variations on different types of install circumstances are like the world's least clear choose your own adventure game.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Sep 15, 2020

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Y'know I'm pretty sure henry cavill made this look a lot sexier.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Quick question about airflow and cooling. I know I can improve this setup but not sure what the next step is. I want to improve cooling but hopefully not increase noise much.

Case: Cougar QBX
Processor: Ryzen 2600X with stock Wraith Spire tower
GPU: 1070ti SC (twin fan, not blower)
Intake: 80mm Noctua on the front of the case, blowing onto the GPU. Nothing on the bottom of the case, I do have room to mount 2x thin 120mm fans directly under the GPU but wasn't sure how much benefit that would give vs the GPU fans pulling air in from the outside or if it would just create weird turbulence.
Exhaust: 120mm Noctua on the top of the case at the rear, and a 90mm at the rear of the case right next to the CPU.

I plan to:
1. Add feet to bottom of case to increase airflow to GPU
2. Try to clean up cable routing around fans so they block less air. Kind of wish I had gone with a Modular PSU so there would be less cables in here, the power cables are the big offenders.

And then one or both of the following. I'm not sure which would be better if I only do one.
3. Add one or two slim 120mm intake fans on the bottom, pointed directly into GPU fans?
4. Install an 120mm intake fan on the side panel directly above the Wraith Spire cooler?

Anything else I should be thinking of? Not really thinking of swapping out the Wraith Spire yet, should that be on the table too? I was thinking improving airflow would be easier and have more results.

Here's a quick mockup of how it's set up currently, using a stock photo of the case (opened up):

Thanks y'all.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

MikeJF posted:

Yay, my MSI Bazooka and Ryzen 3600 and Coolermaster Hyper 212 are here, I can't wait. Should be easy to set up, let me just check the mounting and CPU and fan install instructions to make surJESUS CHRIST what the gently caress

These instructions with all the variations on different types of install circumstances are like the world's least clear choose your own adventure game.

I'm glad you said something because I felt the same way. I spent a good few hours going back and forth between three manuals and a bunch of youtube videos trying to figure out how to install the AIO and wire up everything in the case correctly.

The instructions for the mounting bracket on the AIO were especially egregious. They just said 'use the included AMD mounting bracket in this orientation' with no mention of how to even get the old one off. Turns out, you have to loosen like eight screws and then you can pull the original bracket off.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Tyro posted:

3. Add one or two slim 120mm intake fans on the bottom, pointed directly into GPU fans?
4. Install an 120mm intake fan on the side panel directly above the Wraith Spire cooler?

My guess, based on the size of the fans you have in your diagram, is that you'd have slightly negative pressure in your case. I'd probably go with one of the above two options to just to get more cool air in there and help lean it towards positive pressure.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Gearman posted:

My guess, based on the size of the fans you have in your diagram, is that you'd have slightly negative pressure in your case. I'd probably go with one of the above two options to just to get more cool air in there and help lean it towards positive pressure.

:hai: if you can fit anything bigger in front thatd be good.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Harold Fjord posted:

:hai: if you can fit anything bigger in front thatd be good.

Unfortunately there's only that one 80mm spot up front.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Noise is a function of fan speed, and cooling is a function of fan speed and size. I.e. bigger fans can move more air per rotation, and therefore can spin slower and thus quieter for a given temp range.

Feet are a good idea, cable management doesn't have an impact on airflow unless things are out-and-out blocked. Replacing the stock cooler will probably help a lot with noise so I'd start there after the feet, and then work on adjusting your GPUs fan curve.

What are your current temps? Ultimately, more noise and often higher temps is a trade-off inherent in small cases.

Aades
Nov 28, 2005

Guns Up!

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i3-9100F 3.6 GHz Quad-Core Processor ($71.88 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: *MSI B365M PRO-VDH Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($69.99 @ Walmart)
Memory: *Team Elite Plus 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-2400 CL16 Memory ($49.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: *TCSunBow X3 480 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($43.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1650 SUPER 4 GB WINDFORCE OC Video Card ($169.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($48.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: *Corsair CXM (2015) 450 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($69.98 @ Amazon)
Total: $524.81

I'm looking to replace my 14 year old pc that's mostly used for web browsing, Microsoft Office work, and storing family photos. Occasionally I'll load up an old game or maybe an MMO like WoW or FFXIV. This list is mostly the entry level Intel build from PCPartPicker, with the video card changed to the 1650S. Budget is around $500. I might add another cheap hard drive to store the pictures. I haven't kept up with current pc products so I'm leaning on PCPartPicker's recommendations for a cheap build.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Aades posted:

PCPartPicker Part List

Motherboard: *MSI B365M PRO-VDH Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($69.99 @ Walmart)
Memory: *Team Elite Plus 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-2400 CL16 Memory ($49.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1650 SUPER 4 GB WINDFORCE OC Video Card ($169.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: *Corsair CXM (2015) 450 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($69.98 @ Amazon)

I'm looking to replace my 14 year old pc that's mostly used for web browsing, Microsoft Office work, and storing family photos. Occasionally I'll load up an old game or maybe an MMO like WoW or FFXIV. This list is mostly the entry level Intel build from PCPartPicker, with the video card changed to the 1650S. Budget is around $500. I might add another cheap hard drive to store the pictures. I haven't kept up with current pc products so I'm leaning on PCPartPicker's recommendations for a cheap build.

I’m not sure of your intent, but I’ll be honest a $500 build is unlikely to feel comfortable for 14 years. If you don’t care that’s fine but figured I’d put it out in the world.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Aades posted:

PCPartPicker Part List

No matter what you do, get a better SSD than that chinesium one. It has effectively zero warranty.
Inland 480GB $50
WD Blue 500GB $56

If you can expand your budget at all, this is what you get on the AMD side:
PCPartPicker Part List
CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 3.6 GHz Quad-Core Processor ($114.99 @ B&H)
Motherboard: Gigabyte B450M DS3H Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($72.98 @ Amazon)
Memory: GeIL EVO SPEAR Phantom Gaming 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($52.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Inland 480 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($49.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair CX (2017) 450 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($64.94 @ Newegg)
Total: $574.87
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-09-15 12:30 EDT-0400

This is a big bump in CPU power. The AMD CPU has hyperthreading so it's 4 cores & 8 threads, the intel one does not. This doesn't make a difference for old games, but if you continue to play MMOs or if a few years from now you are playing more recent old games, it could.

Third option: if you can wait around a few months, you may be able to pick up a used Ryzen CPU cheap on SA Mart. I expect a fair number of people to be upgrading to new CPUs without full system rebuilds, so there will probably be some bare CPUs available for reasonable prices.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Some Goon posted:

Noise is a function of fan speed, and cooling is a function of fan speed and size. I.e. bigger fans can move more air per rotation, and therefore can spin slower and thus quieter for a given temp range.

Feet are a good idea, cable management doesn't have an impact on airflow unless things are out-and-out blocked. Replacing the stock cooler will probably help a lot with noise so I'd start there after the feet, and then work on adjusting your GPUs fan curve.

What are your current temps? Ultimately, more noise and often higher temps is a trade-off inherent in small cases.

I haven't actually measured temps in a deliberate fashion yet.

Running HWmonitor while running around in Witcher 3 at 1440/Ultra and Monster Hunter World just now, @1440/highest, maybe 30 minutes total, the GPU hit 72 C and CPU hit 74 C. That wasn't very stressful on the machine, is there a better way to check this? A benchmark program I can run or something? I have the legs to raise it up, I'd be interested to do a before/after comparison.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Can anyone recommend a good fan control and temp monitoring software?

I prefer something with nice GUI if possible. My system has the overhead to give resources to it.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Kingnothing posted:

Can anyone recommend a good fan control and temp monitoring software?

I prefer something with nice GUI if possible. My system has the overhead to give resources to it.

I usually use hwmonitor for data and just set the fan curves in the BIOS. At least with my old Asus Z170 you can move the fan curve around by just dragging the line around.

Aades
Nov 28, 2005

Guns Up!

Klyith posted:

Third option: if you can wait around a few months, you may be able to pick up a used Ryzen CPU cheap on SA Mart. I expect a fair number of people to be upgrading to new CPUs without full system rebuilds, so there will probably be some bare CPUs available for reasonable prices.

I had not thought of used pc components since there's not a market in my area for that. I'll keep an eye on SA Mart.

Thanks for the comments goons!

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Tyro posted:

I haven't actually measured temps in a deliberate fashion yet.

Running HWmonitor while running around in Witcher 3 at 1440/Ultra and Monster Hunter World just now, @1440/highest, maybe 30 minutes total, the GPU hit 72 C and CPU hit 74 C. That wasn't very stressful on the machine, is there a better way to check this? A benchmark program I can run or something? I have the legs to raise it up, I'd be interested to do a before/after comparison.

It's not a stress test, but if that's your use case then that's the temps you'll be dealing with. Low 70s are below the threshold of even being remotely remarkable.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Some Goon posted:

It's not a stress test, but if that's your use case then that's the temps you'll be dealing with. Low 70s are below the threshold of even being remotely remarkable.

Yeah I'm just thinking forward for when Cyberpunk comes out, I don't really have an issue currently. Guess I'll deal with that when it happens, if it becomes a problem.

Some of the TMPIN ratings were high (2 over 110C and one was idling at like 114) - anything to worry about there? I guess I could verify that with a laser thermometer to make sure it's not a weird error.

Thanks for the help!

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

sean10mm posted:

I usually use hwmonitor for data and just set the fan curves in the BIOS. At least with my old Asus Z170 you can move the fan curve around by just dragging the line around.

I'll have to check this out then.

I just got my Define 7 case set up, which comes with a fan controller (including 3 4-pin connectors) but my Noctuas connected to it are running at full speed for some reason. My Noctua not connected to the controller doesn't seem to be doing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Aades posted:

PCPartPicker Part List

If you're only doing web browsing, office, etc you will be just fine with onboard graphics. In that case, you would have to buy an intel processor that does not end in F - you could move for example to a Core i5-9400 for $160 that would include graphics on the CPU, a couple more cores, and a lower clock speed but probably still very sustainable overall performance.

However, it's probably a better idea to move to Ryzen 3100 as suggested and then look for a used GPU. You can get something that will crush your games on SA Mart for probably 50 bucks, which is about the premium you would be paying for the integrated GPU.

The build above doesn't have wifi, in case that matters. You may want to select a board with wifi integrated, or throw in a USB or PCI-E wifi card.