Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Received my super discounted Dell S2721DGF to sidegrade from an Acer XB271HU with a failing HDMI input

Played a few games of Apex and I'd be lying if I said I could tell the difference between the fancy G-Sync module and this plain Freesync controller

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Is this also the place to ask about TVs or is there a TV thread somewhere else on the forums?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Is this also the place to ask about TVs or is there a TV thread somewhere else on the forums?

It's over in IYG https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3523461&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

repiv posted:

Received my super discounted Dell S2721DGF to sidegrade from an Acer XB271HU with a failing HDMI input

Played a few games of Apex and I'd be lying if I said I could tell the difference between the fancy G-Sync module and this plain Freesync controller

I was quite surprised as well coming from the Dell S2417DG to the Asus vg27qm. I couldn’t tell the difference between the two and also not being married into one ecosystem is nice too.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

I think G-Syncs dynamic overdrive might still matter for especially bleeding edge panels like the 240hz or 360hz IPSes (hence why they keep launching only in G-Sync monitors and coming to Freesync ones much later) but it seems like the 144/165hz panels have matured to the point that they don't really need such fine tuning anymore.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Whiskey A Go Go! posted:

I couldn’t tell the difference between the two and also not being married into one ecosystem is nice too.

the new GSync monitors aren't married to NVIDIA cards, they accept Adaptive Sync input

but yeah it's nice to move away from the older monitors that are gsync only

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Thank you, goonsire

Feb 2, 2005

K8.0 posted:

Cap ya drat framerates. VRR does not work unless frames are coming in moire slowly than your monitor can handle, so you always want framerate caps with a high refresh VRR monitor so you minimize latency. Set a 140 FPS cap in the Nvidia control panel, then create profiles for games with good in-game limiters that disable the Nvidia limiter so you can use the in-game one instead. Low latency without tearing feels so drat good in the exact sorts of situations you're talking about here.

I should have been clear in my original post. The "gaming" laptop I'm using is a stopgap until I build new next year. As such, it doesn't have DisplayPort so I'm not getting the benefits of FreeSync anyway. The Portal thing was just me loving around. I did cap my frame rate for Deus Ex, which was getting between 100 and 110.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009
e: nvm I'm dumb

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Are the benefits of FreeSync worth the implementation if your PC can't push frame rates well past the monitor's maximum refresh rate? My limited understanding has me assuming that screen tearing happens because a display's refresh rate can't keep up with the amount of frames being pumped out by the PC, and that FreeSync solves this by offering the benefits of traditional V-Sync but without the input lag. What are the other real/tangible FreeSync benefits that I'm missing?

teagone fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Sep 15, 2020

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

teagone posted:

Are the benefits of FreeSync worth the implementation if your PC can't push frame rates well past the monitor's maximum refresh rate? My limited understanding has me assuming that screen tearing happens because a display's refresh rate can't keep up with the amount of frames being pumped out by the PC, and that FreeSync solves this by offering the benefits of traditional V-Sync but without the input lag. What are the other real/tangible FreeSync benefits that I'm missing?

it's the other way around, VRR offers no benefits if you can push beyond the refresh rate (you will either have to cap your fps either in-game or by enabling VSync, or accept tearing when this happens).

the biggest benefits are in framepacing when you can't push enough frames

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

teagone posted:

I feel that you demonstrate a fundamental misunderstanding of what VRR is

VRR is basically your monitor's refresh rate matching your game's framerate, which means no stuttering or tearing, and also significantly reduces input latency. This is better than conventional vsync where your game has to dance along with the monitor's refresh rate, and if its framerate cannot match the monitor's refresh rate, even just for a couple of frames, it will stutter. Vsync also has horrible input delay as a result of having to buffer and sync frames.

Different monitors have different ranges (some are 30-144hz for example), if the framerate of the game is outside of that range, conventional sync kicks in, if any is enabled. You don't want your PC to push framerates in excess of your monitor's refresh rate, it will just tear again. That's why a lot of people say cap your FPS to 141 if you're on a 144hz VRR monitor for example.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Paul MaudDib posted:

it's the other way around, VRR offers no benefits if you can push beyond the refresh rate (you will either have to cap your fps either in-game or by enabling VSync, or accept tearing when this happens).

the biggest benefits are in framepacing when you can't push enough frames

There is a min refresh rate too and you want to stay above that, if you can't hit a monitors min refresh rate you really are better off investing in a better video card though because it's normally in the 40s.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

pixaal posted:

There is a min refresh rate too and you want to stay above that, if you can't hit a monitors min refresh rate you really are better off investing in a better video card though because it's normally in the 40s.

if your monitor supports LFC (Low Framerate Compensation) then there effectively is no minimum. All Gsync and Gsync Compatible monitors require support, FreeSync is the wild west, some do some don't, and FreeSync Premium is AMD's new equivalent to Gsync Compatible and requires LFC support as well (funny how after years of fans asking for that and being ignored, AMD suddenly managed to do it in a matter of weeks once NVIDIA started moving in on the Adaptive Sync market).

basically this is the thing where your max sync rate needs to be at least 2.5x the min (and many of the plain freesync monitors are not). If that is the case, then when it goes off the bottom end, it will send every frame twice to keep it in the sync range. So for example if your monitor does 40-144, when you go to 39 fps it will double the frames to make it effectively 78 fps which is still inside the sync range.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Sep 15, 2020

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
I'll try to briefly explain why it helps to begin with. Let's think about a non-VRR scenario first.

The GPU finishes a frame. It's ready for display. Unless the GPU and the monitor are in perfect sync (which they never are, timings just don't work out that way) there are two options - either push the frame out now (which is going to be at some random point in the scanout, thus generating tearing) or wait until the end of the scanout (thus generating delay and either uneven frame pacing or even more delay depending on how many buffers you're using and the ratio between framerate and refresh rate).

What VRR does is let the monitor stop and wait in between frames for the GPU to finish the next frame. That way, you get the lowest possible delay and no tearing. However, if the GPU is producing frames faster than the monitor can consume them, you get the same behavior as a non-VRR monitor when framerate exceeds refresh rate. VRR can't make the monitor consume frames faster, it just allows it to consume them slower in order to sync up its timing with the GPU which is otherwise impossible.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

I feel that you demonstrate a fundamental misunderstanding of what VRR is

I did say I have limited understanding! :colbert:

But I understood FreeSync/G-Sync matches the displays refresh rate to the game's FPS. I was just wondering what other tangible benefits the tech offers besides removing screen tearing while also reducing input lag significantly, or if that was just it, and also if your PC can't break 144+ FPS in whatever game if the FreeSync/G-Sync benefits are diminished in any way.

[edit] My PC is able to push frame rates past the lower end of my monitor's FreeSync range (48-165Hz) in the games I play no problem.

[edit 2] I also asked this because I noticed my desktop flickering brightness every now and then with FreeSync on, but even with FreeSync disabled on the monitor/GPU control panel, the desktop flickering still happens :shrug: I guess it could be the DP cable causing that? Or maybe just a symptom of the panel used in the Acer XV240Y running at the 165Hz "factory overclock" over DP? Or possibly something to do with my 1660 Ti? Reducing the refresh rate to 144Hz seems to have remedied the issue? Lol.

teagone fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Sep 15, 2020

frailimbnursry
Feb 14, 2004
my roommate touches me
I finally got around to building a replacement for quite an old PC. Next up is replacing my Dell U2410. Aside from working from home, I'd like to game at 1440+p/120+hz. I've been leaning toward an ultrawide over dual-monitor setup for a higher level of immersion when racing/flying and to reduce the footprint on the desk - that may be misguided on both accounts. I also haven't found a dual-arm mount that fits a 6" thick desk.

The LG 27GL83A-B appears to be the clear price/performance option judging by the last few pages. How do people find the bezel when using both monitors in games?
Are there any thoughts on the LG 34GN850-B? It seems to be the choice for ultrawides according to rtings. Is the experience worth the $200 extra over two 27"?
General thoughts on dual monitor vs. ultrawide gaming setups?

Other possible options:
32" Samsung G7 - I don't have any experience with curved monitors to know if I love/hate them. There seems to be a large number of flickering/QA reports. This was higher on the list until I read here that PC HDR is not worthwhile yet.
38GL950G-B - It doesn't seem to make much sense when the 49" CRG9 Samsung is available for $1,199 except that it may actually fit on my desk and my wife would be less likely to mock me mercilessly than with the CRG9.

I'm not in a rush as I haven't secured a 3080 yet. I would like to move forward with something in the next month.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

frailimbnursry posted:

I finally got around to building a replacement for quite an old PC. Next up is replacing my Dell U2410. Aside from working from home, I'd like to game at 1440+p/120+hz. I've been leaning toward an ultrawide over dual-monitor setup for a higher level of immersion when racing/flying and to reduce the footprint on the desk - that may be misguided on both accounts. I also haven't found a dual-arm mount that fits a 6" thick desk.

The LG 27GL83A-B appears to be the clear price/performance option judging by the last few pages. How do people find the bezel when using both monitors in games?
Are there any thoughts on the LG 34GN850-B? It seems to be the choice for ultrawides according to rtings. Is the experience worth the $200 extra over two 27"?
General thoughts on dual monitor vs. ultrawide gaming setups?

Other possible options:
32" Samsung G7 - I don't have any experience with curved monitors to know if I love/hate them. There seems to be a large number of flickering/QA reports. This was higher on the list until I read here that PC HDR is not worthwhile yet.
38GL950G-B - It doesn't seem to make much sense when the 49" CRG9 Samsung is available for $1,199 except that it may actually fit on my desk and my wife would be less likely to mock me mercilessly than with the CRG9.

I'm not in a rush as I haven't secured a 3080 yet. I would like to move forward with something in the next month.

Black Friday’s getting close, might wanna wait for that.

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!

Klyith posted:

AFAIK that is the monitor du jour for people who want gaming plus good general use. The only problem is good luck ever getting one because they're always out of stock and everyone is watching like a hawk.

K8.0 posted:

It's a perfectly good monitor. It's an Innolux panel so it responds slower than the LG panel, but it does have better contrast. For $300 right now it's a very reasonable buy.
OK, I went ahead and ordered the $300 ViewSonic. It might not be the absolute best monitor out there, but it sure seems to be the best deal at the moment. It doesn't ship until November 1st, so I can keep an eye out for an even better deal until then.

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

K8.0 posted:

games with good in-game limiters

How does one know which games have good limiters?

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
I'm realizing now that two 34" ultrawides stacked on top of each other is a gross amount of screen real estate...

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

SO DEMANDING posted:

How does one know which games have good limiters?

Google, basically. You'll usually find things compared to the RTSS frame limiter, which performs basically identically to the Nvidia one. Most games made in the past few years have a decent frame limiter, many of the ones before that are atrocious and destroy frame pacing.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

K8.0 posted:

Google, basically. You'll usually find things compared to the RTSS frame limiter, which performs basically identically to the Nvidia one. Most games made in the past few years have a decent frame limiter, many of the ones before that are atrocious and destroy frame pacing.

If its basically identical to the Nvidia one why not just use that on everything, and not have to ever worry about in game settings for it?

Rhaka
Feb 15, 2008

Practice knighthood and learn
the art that dignifies you

Fhqwhgads posted:

I'm realizing now that two 34" ultrawides stacked on top of each other is a gross amount of screen real estate...

I'm seriously considering grabbing either a 34" or 49" (same bloody price) and stacking my 29" UW on top of it.

Alternatively grabbing the 27" everyone is raving about and topping it up with the 29", but that'd look weird.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

RTSS eats a lot of power on CPU. Not performance wise, but wattage. It doesn't actually slow your game performance down, it just munches idle time to get really precise timing. Because Nvidia's is part of the actual GPU driver and has perfect access to all the GPU hardware, theirs is more power efficient. It's also just there by default, where RTSS requires you to use a separate program - although TBH everyone should have Afterburner installed since it's so useful, and Afterburner depends on RTSS, so most everyone has it anyway. The reason most comparisons reference RTSS is that up until a few months ago, Nvidia's frame limiter was absolute trash and RTSS was the only way to get a good external frame limiter. Since the RTSS frame limiter is functionally identical to the Nvidia frame limiter, any test that compares the in-game limiter to RTSS is effectively also comparing the in-game limiter to Nvidia.

In-game limiters have the potential to be significantly better than both, because they can delay input and game logic processing until just before the render, which is a significant benefit over an external limiter, which can only control the timing of rendering. But not every game has an in-game limiter, and some of them are atrocious, so you wind up needing both.

e - to be clear, if you're just playing single player games and not chasing latency hard, using nothing but a global setting for the Nvidia limiter is fine. But if you're playing multiplayer games or are otherwise willing to spend 1 minute to reduce your latency in game by an amount that may be helpful or enjoyable, it's worth googling if the in-game limiter is good, creating an Nvidia profile for the game that disables the Nvidia limiter, and using the in-game limiter instead.

K8.0 fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Sep 16, 2020

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Cartoon Man posted:

Black Friday’s getting close, might wanna wait for that.

Be mindful that a lot of electronics manufacturers are sneaky and will make cheaper models with less features and build quality just for black friday with the exact same designation as their typical fully featured counterparts

Also really looking forward to watching covid black friday, it's going to be a shitshow

thats not candy
Mar 10, 2010

Hell Gem

Fhqwhgads posted:

ive been doing this for a few months for wfh and its good for productivity but i hate how oppressive it feels. Also the top one is just a bit too high and I have to crane my neck to fully use it, despite offsetting it backwards so the bezels overlap and leaning it forward like 15 degrees. It's not great

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I’ve never seen a game with a better in-engine limiter than RTSS besides the ones that are already 100% locked to 60fps at all times.

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

I had to return the VG27QM because 1080p at 27 inches regardless of the hz that it is pushing was a bad idea. Every review that stated that 280hz is for people who compete in esports and I can see why. It was so smooth in everything I did but the jaggy text and picture quality was too much of a deal breaker. I did get the Asus VG27AQ and it is as good as the reviews say it is. I don't know why Reddit demonize this monitor because it is awesome.

Expect for the elmb sync. It was a shitshow for the 5 minutes I used it.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
are there a few recommended 144hz 1440p gaming monitors that are kinda just "pick from one of these they're all pretty good"? i saw someone mention the VX2758-2KP-MHD but im pretty sure theres 0 stock in the entirety of canada and i was wondering if there are any others

i saw someone mention the LG 27GL83A-B about 12 pages back or so

GFBeach
Jul 6, 2005

Surrounded by wierdos

Verviticus posted:

That seems to be the go-to pick for this thread for 144hz 1440p monitors. I just got one myself and it's been great.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

The LG is currently in stock at 379$ so I ordered another :getin:

RVT
Nov 5, 2003
Also just ordered the LG. Very excited.

Is valorant's frame limiter good or should I plan on using the global limiter with it? I tried searching for an answer, but I guess I don't know the right way to search to find information like that.

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!

Verviticus posted:

are there a few recommended 144hz 1440p gaming monitors that are kinda just "pick from one of these they're all pretty good"? i saw someone mention the VX2758-2KP-MHD but im pretty sure theres 0 stock in the entirety of canada and i was wondering if there are any others

I went with the ViewSonic and it's in the mail now. I bought it for $300 two days ago, but it looks like it's now $400+ on Amazon. :stonk: If you can get it for $300 it seems like a good deal, but if you're going to spend $400+, go with the LG everyone has been recommending.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
yeah the LG looks like it might be available before next year. in canada their prices seem to be like $500 for either one

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!
The ViewSonic said it wouldn't ship until November 1st, but it shipped right away. So I don't know how much faith you can put into those dates.

itsdereksmifz
Apr 30, 2019

Ugh. The LG was still out of stock earlier today so I got the Dell S2719DGF -- Wondering if I should cancel and go with the LG?

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

itsdereksmifz posted:

Ugh. The LG was still out of stock earlier today so I got the Dell S2719DGF -- Wondering if I should cancel and go with the LG?

Yes

Mine arrives Sunday :3

App13
Dec 31, 2011

So I'm looking at a new monitor to replace my 2 crappy 24" guys. Ideally I want to be able to connect my work computer, personal computer, and server to it with little hassle. I was originally looking at a 34" curved ultrasharp (U3419W) for $769, but got distracted by a refurb 43" UltraSharp (U4320Q) for $659 and sort of impulse purchased it. I do a little gaming, a little photo work, and a LOT of CAD/CAM.

Anyone have experience with either of these monitors? I wanted a big gently caress-off screen in which to display my fancy simulations and graphs, but I'm worried the 43" may be a little too big. At $659 it seemed like a pretty solid deal though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

pulled the trigger on the LG on an open box one that was described as "minor cosmetic defects" so i guess we'll see for $50 off which after all the poo poo ive bought so far, i'm going to need. and i dont really care if it has a scratch or a gouge