Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Shodai?
This poll is closed.
Cool 21 75.00%
Nah 7 25.00%
Total: 28 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

That's one of the things I love about Tochinoshin. He's just absurdly casually strong, if his knee wasn't made of tinfoil he'd be a yokozuna by now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Some really rough falls off the dohyo today.

Other thoughts:
- I hope Asanoyama can turn things around because it’s a bad start for someone who was being talked about as a potential yokozuna
- Endo gonna Endo
- Enho getting squished was a particular lowlight
- Takakeisho looked strong as hell

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Kenning posted:

Thauros

y/o: Asanoyama
s/k: Shodai
m1-5: Hokotofuji (first choice was terunofuji)
m6-10: Enho
m11+: Hoshoryu

depressing start aside from shodai for someone who picked people i'd be rooting for anyway

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

The world can burn as long as Takayasu racks up wins.

... continue to burn, I mean.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
those of you who picked Onosho are being vindicated, even though i said he was a bad pick

he's looking really good on day 2. guess i was wrong about him!

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Martytoof posted:

We'll have our revenge :mad:

maybe tomorrow!

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Charles Gnarwin posted:

Some really rough falls off the dohyo today.

Other thoughts:
- I hope Asanoyama can turn things around because it’s a bad start for someone who was being talked about as a potential yokozuna
- Endo gonna Endo
- Enho getting squished was a particular lowlight
- Takakeisho looked strong as hell

Yeah, that Shimanoumi/Houshouryuu fall was nasty. Tobizaru seems to be making a trend of hurling himself off the dohyo this basho.

Endo absolutely gonna Endo.

I'm sad that Tochinoshin is the weak link in my stable so far, but I refuse to give up faith in the :killdozer: powers.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Yeah, some rough spills today. Some of those hurt to watch.

ilmucche posted:

Hopefully I've snuck these in before the bouts start.

Y/o asanoyama/takakeisho
S/k daiesho/mitakeumi/shodai
1-5 miyogiryu/yutakayama/tochinoshin
6-10 onosho/aoiyama/wakatakakage
11-15 kotoshoho/kaisei/shimanoumi

Tochinoshin feels like a trap pick so high. If I can't get those then please spin the wheel and give me a random guy :)

You got all your first picks!

Day 2 standings:

code:
5	anakha
7	Banana Canada
6	bartolimu
3	Beeswax
5	bessantj
3	Cage Kicker
5	Charles Gnarwin
4	Chinook
4	Dias
5	Diplomat
5	Fluffdaddy
4	Foehammer007
3	Gerund
5	GoatSeeGuy
4	ilmucche
6	Helianthus Annuus
3	Jobbo_Fett
4	Kenning
4	Lid
6	Liquid Communism
6	Lone Goat
4	Maigius
4	MalarkeyToboggan
5	Marching Powder
5	Martytoof
4	Mekchu
3	pseudodragon
5	QuasiQuack
4	Robviously
4	sivad
8	Skjorte
5	Sub Rosa
3	Thauros
6	Tiny Bug Child
6	whats for dinner

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

IT TURN OUT METAL FOR DINNER!

The head first dump off of the dohyo is the worst but a very close second is every time I watch a wrestler land on one foot and their upper body immediately starts twisting and I just imagine their knee or ankle exploding into confetti

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Giku out with leg injury. Kenning, are we allowed a sub?

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

Not a great day for my fantasy stable :( On the plus side there were some really great bouts and Tochinoshin looked pretty good on that knee!

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Tokushoryu vs Aioyama was ridiculous

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

Beeswax posted:

Tokushoryu vs Aioyama was ridiculous

I was geared up for the mother of all impacts at the start. Actual outcome had me laughing pretty hard.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
Missing my boy Hakuho a lil bit. :(

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Shame about my big broken ex-Ozeki, but given the circumstances Team Twenty-Six Syllables needs a sub.

Please sub out Kotoshogiku for Tobizaru. Team Twenty-Five Syllables will persevere!

On day 3 matches:
Wakatakakage deserved a re-fight there, that was a great throw attempt and they landed SO CLOSE to the same time. Good match either way.
Takarafuji is looking pretty strong so far, good technique on display. I'd like to see him rewarded with 10+ wins.
Mitakeumi looked like poo poo against Takanosho, I hope this isn't the beginning of another collapse on an Ozeki run. My heart can't take it.
Endo continues to Endo, though I can't really blame him against Shodai.
Takakeisho came in low and won the tachiai, but couldn't finish off Hokutofuji. That was a surprising loss.
Terunofuji TERUNOFUJI TERUNOFUJI TERUNOFUJI!!

Biosys
Aug 13, 2011
Really surprised that Wakatakage v Onosho didn't result in a rematch, that seemed way too close to call definitively from the replay.

Also looking real bad for Enho so far, it looks like everyone's gotten the same memo about how to fight him and the results are rough :(

Foehammer007
Dec 7, 2011

by Pragmatica

Biosys posted:

Also looking real bad for Enho so far, it looks like everyone's gotten the same memo about how to fight him and the results are rough :(

:doggo:

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Continuing my 3 wins per day steady run this basho.

But more importantly....

TOCHINOSHIN IS ON THE BOARD

Man, that's the second day in a row a big boy's just belly flopped on Enho. Ow.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Didn't Enho even lose weight since the last basho?

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

im sure asanoyama will turn it around eventually but gently caress enho’s been just depressing to watch after being consistently the most entertaining guy to watch every basho

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Didn't Enho even lose weight since the last basho?

yeah according to one of the english commentators he dropped iirc 6 k

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Beeswax posted:

Giku out with leg injury. Kenning, are we allowed a sub?

Yep! Choose somebody from his same rank set.

bartolimu posted:

Shame about my big broken ex-Ozeki, but given the circumstances Team Twenty-Six Syllables needs a sub.

Please sub out Kotoshogiku for Tobizaru. Team Twenty-Five Syllables will persevere!

Like this! Trade registered.

Hoshoryu keeps taking some rough falls off the dohyo. I hope he doesn't fight so hard he ends up getting hurt. Nice to see Onosho bouncing back, but Asanoyama looks like rear end. I believe he's one of the wrestlers who's the only sekitori in his stable, so the ban on degeiko seems to be taking its toll on him.

Day 3 standings:

code:
8	anakha
9	Banana Canada
7	bartolimu
4	Beeswax
7	bessantj
5	Cage Kicker
6	Charles Gnarwin
6	Chinook
6	Dias
8	Diplomat
9	Fluffdaddy
6	Foehammer007
6	Gerund
6	GoatSeeGuy
6	ilmucche
7	Helianthus Annuus
5	Jobbo_Fett
5	Kenning
7	Lid
9	Liquid Communism
8	Lone Goat
7	Maigius
6	MalarkeyToboggan
7	Marching Powder
7	Martytoof
6	Mekchu
5	pseudodragon
5	QuasiQuack
5	Robviously
6	sivad
11	Skjorte
9	Sub Rosa
5	Thauros
8	Tiny Bug Child
6	whats for dinner

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
oof 4 of my guys got mashed today. someone finally put dirt on my ozeki Takakeisho

might need to rethink my draft strategy for next time

but despite that, something really good happened. My only winless guy Terunofuji managed to get on the board today by beating the struggling ozeki Asanoyama

e: I'd like to trade Hoshoryu for Chiyotairyu, please

Helianthus Annuus fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Sep 15, 2020

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

I wonder if all the yokozuna run chat has Asanoyama feeling the pressure because it’s been a really bad start.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Kenning posted:

Yep! Choose somebody from his same rank set.

Great! Trading Kotoshogiku for Kotoshoho, my heart will not be denied even if it so far has caused me to be last in the fantasy league.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I'm gonna trade Kotoshogiku for Chiyotairyu, also man, Asanoyama decided to have a bad basho when he's on my stable, goddamnit.

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010

Kenning posted:

Day 3 standings:

code:

11	Skjorte

I'm happy with my picks, although I won't be surprised when Onosho, Chiyotairyu, and Mitakeumi completely stop earning points for me for many, many days in a row, as they are wont to do.

I really thought Asanoyama (who is not my favorite ozeki, but IM(so far incorrect)O the safer bet to consistently do well) was a free ticket to 10+ wins, so for him to be the one guy really letting my team down so far is a big surprise.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Skjorte posted:

I really thought Asanoyama (who is not my favorite ozeki, but IM(so far incorrect)O the safer bet to consistently do well) was a free ticket to 10+ wins, so for him to be the one guy really letting my team down so far is a big surprise.

Yeah, same here. Should have gone with my heart on that one.

mongolia
Jan 18, 2017

awesome seeing these guys wiping thier armspits with a nice towel and then handing to the rookie

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Charles Gnarwin posted:

I wonder if all the yokozuna run chat has Asanoyama feeling the pressure because it’s been a really bad start.

I mean running AWAY from Yokozuna is still a TYPE of run, right?

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Just wanted to say "nice" on this auspicious of page numbers

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

The tachi ai for Meisei vs Kotoeko was awesome! Looked like they just launched into each other as hard as possible

loving lol, Terutsuyoshi's front foot slipping out on salt when he tried to brace up against Endo. The mot perfect way for him to lose.

whats for dinner fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Sep 16, 2020

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

A lot of slips and falls this basho, I feel like the restricted practice is definitely showing in the balance issues.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Well, finally a decent day, I guess.

I think Asanoyama is gonna recover and put a good enough performance but he started super slow, I do wonder if it's a restricted practice issue. My Onosho pick is paying off, last basho was really bad but he's definitely not a low Maegashira rikishi, he's got Sanyaku potential. Of course now that I posted this he's gonna go 4-11, but hey.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

I said it earlier, Onosho is a solid middle M rikishi. He's not gonna ever really go above M2-4, I think, unless he goes on a year but he'll throw in a decent performance in the lower ranks.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

I feel like Asanoyama was channeling Hakuho today, making a statement by hurling Hokutofuji out of the ring like that. Hopefully the statement was "I'm back, bitches" and not "Finally the elders gave me someone I can beat up on."

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
love that in this rear end backwards forum we have a growing sumo community. wish i could watch it, but keeping up with the replays and it's shaping up to be an excellent tournament.

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy

Marching Powder posted:

love that in this rear end backwards forum we have a growing sumo community. wish i could watch it, but keeping up with the replays and it's shaping up to be an excellent tournament.

It's really special that the goon Sumo community has made it so accessible for us noobs. Thanks! Also, reading the wiki pages of my picks has been a great learning experience. Currently just glad one of my guys won last night, go Takakeisho! Looked like a beast out there against Tamawashi!

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Helianthus Annuus posted:

e: I'd like to trade Hoshoryu for Chiyotairyu, please

oh no what a goof! did my trade go thru? fuuuuck idk how this works! i'm blowing this lmao

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Marching Powder posted:

its because SAS is a death pit of mediocrity but Fight Sports loves anything one on one and weird ruled with physical combat, MOAT FIGHTS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010
Whats the reasoning behind the sumo elders not shutting down the fun of Terutsuyoshi's ring entrance? Is it the kind of thing thats fine until he makes sanyaku?