Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

god drat, look at that magnificent fucker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Just GIS khudobin for all kinds of hilarious images of this peak athlete aka the Panda Man.

Also, Vegas and Colorado fell for the same poo poo with Dallas 5v5. Stars play pretty passive in their own end collapsing towards the slot and either block the shot or let it in for low percentage area. Yeah, Vegas was getting 35+ a night and yes Dobby made some beautiful saves, but lots of those were easy picking or oleksiak was on the ice.

And to whoever said he was Schwab or giggy or whatever, he was rocking a 930 all year and has been excellent along with bishop winch they both landed in Dallas. Just cause y'all don't watch the games don't mean he ain't good!

Finals, here we come. Yeeeeeehaw!

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

https://twitter.com/DSurach/status/1305873678299734016

fun fact for your morning

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Khubodin has been very good with Dallas but he's a 34 year old career backup on a hot streak, not a two time Vezina winner like Thomas was.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

Good thing he didn't say "is exactly the same as" then!

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Cocaine Bear posted:

Just GIS khudobin for all kinds of hilarious images of this peak athlete aka the Panda Man.

Also, Vegas and Colorado fell for the same poo poo with Dallas 5v5. Stars play pretty passive in their own end collapsing towards the slot and either block the shot or let it in for low percentage area. Yeah, Vegas was getting 35+ a night and yes Dobby made some beautiful saves, but lots of those were easy picking or oleksiak was on the ice.

And to whoever said he was Schwab or giggy or whatever, he was rocking a 930 all year and has been excellent along with bishop winch they both landed in Dallas. Just cause y'all don't watch the games don't mean he ain't good!

I don't think it's coincidence that all four goalies the Knights played in the playoffs suddenly turned into Hasek. Whatever they're doing needs changing to create less save able chances

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/PierreVLeBrun/status/1305868907908038665?s=19

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I’m guessing we’re not going back to the bubble next season, seems the players are getting claustrophobic. Can’t blame them. I’m expecting conference games only at arenas and extended multi game (same team) series to minimize potential outbreaks. Probably a 40-60 game season starting in January.

Like what baseball is doing. The wildcard is basketball and what they choose to do.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The last thing I saw was they were looking into divisional bubbles.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

The NHL wanting the bubble to end sooner has far more to do with the cost-per-day of operating it than it does any player feelings, imo.

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
Assuming the Bolts win the series, this will be the first Cup Final since Carolina/Edmonton where both franchises are 15+ seasons without a Cup. Would be nice if the Islanders pulled through to make that even better.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
So proud of Rick, choked he never wore this drip in the bubble

https://twitter.com/tsnstevelloyd/status/1305704913092083713?s=21

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

tarbrush posted:

I don't think it's coincidence that all four goalies the Knights played in the playoffs suddenly turned into Hasek. Whatever they're doing needs changing to create less save able chances

interesting article on what Shea Theodore (and to a larger extent Vegas) may be doing wrong:

https://jfresh.substack.com/p/breaking-down-shea-theodores-offensive?utm_campaign=post&utm_medium=web&utm_source=copy

Basically the theory is that Vegas is playing a style of hockey which is does not mesh well with the forwards they have converting the chances they create into actual goals.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Cocaine Bear posted:

Yeah, this "Khudobin came out of nowhere" is a hilarious statement. He hasn't been bad all season, and at times I felt he was a safer bet than Bishop. Again, if people aren't paying attention that's probably the only explanation for "where has this man come from this is shocking!!"

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

He had a .930 in 30 games this year, and .923 in 41 last year. Behind the Stars.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Bingo. And he was more of a 1B and wasn't just gifted easy starts. Dobby and Ben were both a major part of the Stars having the 2nd D this season because outside of 3, 4, and 23, the Stars D is pretty lol

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

Among the most blatant hockey lies I've ever seen.

https://twitter.com/SaadYousuf126/status/1305917156698345473

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

Cocaine Bear posted:

Bingo. And he was more of a 1B and wasn't just gifted easy starts. Dobby and Ben were both a major part of the Stars having the 2nd D this season because outside of 3, 4, and 23, the Stars D is pretty lol

For what it's worth Dallas is just as good or better at limiting rush chances against / denying the middle of the ice as any other team in the NHL. I don't think that it's inaccurate to call them a very good defensive zone team.. whether being a very good defensive zone team actually leads to sustained success in the NHL is another question entirely.

While they have had a lot of success playing this system over the last few years (probably more than the actual talent level of the team should produce), they died by the same system last year in the second round against St. Louis. There will be a run of games against Tampa where some low percentage shots from the blue line / perimeter of the ice either float or bounce their way through to the net, and that will be the end of the Dallas Stars. As much as Vegas was criticized for relying on quantity over quality, that is actually the most likely way to beat the Stars.

To be clear though, that's pretty much the only way Dallas will go down, they simply aren't going to surrender a ton of odd man rushes or wide open chances from the slot. That is literally the entire focus of their strategic approach to the game, and they will happily lose games 3-1 or whatever getting outshot by a 2:1 ratio and claim that they played great hockey.

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

Starsfan posted:

interesting article on what Shea Theodore (and to a larger extent Vegas) may be doing wrong:

https://jfresh.substack.com/p/breaking-down-shea-theodores-offensive?utm_campaign=post&utm_medium=web&utm_source=copy

Basically the theory is that Vegas is playing a style of hockey which is does not mesh well with the forwards they have converting the chances they create into actual goals.

Having watched a decent number of VGK games, that take passes the eye test for me as well. Vegas is definitely a stacked team, but they are stacked in an unbalanced way. They are absolutely terrible at burying rebounds and their overall net front play doesn't put enough pressure on goalies to scramble. They generate a ton of high danger shots but they are in places and times where goalies have enough time to prepare for them and thus they more easily fall victim to hot goalies. Even worse, they can make average goalies look hot because they are not really challenging them properly.

It's likely time for a couple of people to move out of Vegas now. They don't really need all of Marchessault, Smith, Karlsson, Pacioretty, Stastny. Those players are mostly snipers, and they need at least one more power forward type. IMO Tuch needs 2nd line time now and he has the hands and skill to be there. Stephenson might also be ready for a bit more scoring line time. Part of worked so well for them on the Cup run in their first season is that they had a couple more net presence players that balanced it out. Right now teams know they don't have to worry so much about clearing the front of the net since their players can't bury anything there anyways.

Based on my feel, Marchessault and Stastny are the odd ones out in that list, and the VGK should start trying to find takers for them and promote or bring in some people who can finish better around the net.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Starsfan posted:

For what it's worth Dallas is just as good or better at limiting rush chances against / denying the middle of the ice as any other team in the NHL. I don't think that it's inaccurate to call them a very good defensive zone team.. whether being a very good defensive zone team actually leads to sustained success in the NHL is another question entirely.

It's worked pretty well for the Isles so far.

There's a lot to be said for it, especially if you can then counter well.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Funny, most women say the opposite.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Number19 posted:

Having watched a decent number of VGK games, that take passes the eye test for me as well. Vegas is definitely a stacked team, but they are stacked in an unbalanced way. They are absolutely terrible at burying rebounds and their overall net front play doesn't put enough pressure on goalies to scramble. They generate a ton of high danger shots but they are in places and times where goalies have enough time to prepare for them and thus they more easily fall victim to hot goalies. Even worse, they can make average goalies look hot because they are not really challenging them properly.

It's likely time for a couple of people to move out of Vegas now. They don't really need all of Marchessault, Smith, Karlsson, Pacioretty, Stastny. Those players are mostly snipers, and they need at least one more power forward type. IMO Tuch needs 2nd line time now and he has the hands and skill to be there. Stephenson might also be ready for a bit more scoring line time. Part of worked so well for them on the Cup run in their first season is that they had a couple more net presence players that balanced it out. Right now teams know they don't have to worry so much about clearing the front of the net since their players can't bury anything there anyways.

Based on my feel, Marchessault and Stastny are the odd ones out in that list, and the VGK should start trying to find takers for them and promote or bring in some people who can finish better around the net.

Stasny seems very much the odd man out. $5m salary for one year so pretty movable, Glass and Krebs are both centres and as you say they need to shake things up.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Starsfan posted:

This is a really interesting article, and lines up with the games I watched of the Knights this year as well.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
How I'm feeling today

https://twitter.com/CobrastanGuy/status/1305731033896189952?s=20

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
That Khudobin picture looks like my grandpa took it when they were hanging out at the lodge in 1975.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

Right? Of all the times you expect to see a coke mirror in the shot, it's pictures like that.

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

tarbrush posted:

Stasny seems very much the odd man out. $5m salary for one year so pretty movable, Glass and Krebs are both centres and as you say they need to shake things up.

Stastny is definitely the most moveable. Marchessault's contract will make him a bit harder to move and he might still have room on the team. They still have too many finesse guys and I really don't get why Tuch wasn't given more time playing on the secod or even first lines. They were happy to move Stephenson up whenever they felt like it so why not put Tuch up to setup screens and bang home garbage goals?

(Yes, I know this is the wrong thread for the VGK and I'll be happy to take it to the offseason thread)

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim
Pillbug
I am intrigued by whatever the hell it is Khudobin is eating in that photo

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
He is discussing that very photo on the radio right now:

apparently it was a tradition with a team he played with in Russia, I think? A sauna, a beer, and crawfish, typically at the same time.

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim
Pillbug
The true holy trinity

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

I'll never have a picture half that cool.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

N: ISLES

V: AIN'T DEAD YET, FUCKO

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Rotten Cookies posted:

N: ISLES

V: AIN'T DEAD YET, FUCKO

Even if the Lightning make it to the Finals, they will have played.....how many more games than any other team still remaining? Frankly it's impressive they still look as good as they have.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
I was thinking the longer that game went, the better the Bolts would likely be.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Shinjobi posted:

Even if the Lightning make it to the Finals, they will have played.....how many more games than any other team still remaining? Frankly it's impressive they still look as good as they have.

They played 6 overtimes with the Jackets, 3 with the bruins, and now 2 with the Isles. I'm not sure if they've played a lot more games officially than Dallas or NYI but it's probably safe to say they've played the most minutes.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

The Bolts loving did it! They made it to the Stanley Cup Finals! :toot:

Stars in 7

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/frank_seravalli/status/1306795311084507137

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Oof, Bolts could use a bit more time off.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Well now that the teams are decided

My body is not ready for what comes next.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit

Shinjobi posted:

Well now that the teams are decided

My body is not ready for what comes next.

Me and you both buddy, let's do this. I'm sure it'll all be hate here soon.