Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Sagebrush posted:

ng+ is one of the best gameplay inventions ever. playing through the game the second time with all the powers unlocked is often even more fun than the first time through
chrono trigger might be the first i recall where ng+ had a tangible difference, but wondering if there was a ng+ style innovator before that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
i guess zelda 2 on the nes had a new game + but i’ve never met anyone who played through it more than once lol

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

Uptime Sinclair posted:

chrono trigger might be the first i recall where ng+ had a tangible difference, but wondering if there was a ng+ style innovator before that

After beating the first 99 levels of Bubble Bobble you unlocked the other 99 levels called "Super Bubble Bobble".

e: I stand corrected this was somehow unlocked with a cheat code :confused:

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Uptime Sinclair posted:

Super Mario Bros had a hard mode you could access after beating 8-4 where it made enemies faster, replaced Goombas with the fireball-proof buzzy beetles, and a couple other things

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

also I liked the possible world-altering synthpop song in the cafeteria Lab 1.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMT5Tuw0yZk

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

i should say new game+, to me, is primarily carrying over your own progress from the main game to apply to a replay of the main game whether or not it has any additional content

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Angry_Ed posted:

Super Mario Bros had a hard mode you could access after beating 8-4 where it made enemies faster, replaced Goombas with the fireball-proof buzzy beetles, and a couple other things

Yeah it made the game objectively even worse good going Konami!

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
poets of the fall is effectively remedy's house band, but the stuff they do for the games is way harder than the stuff they do for their independently released albums (like that track). really controlpunk video though

Uptime Sinclair posted:

i should say new game+, to me, is primarily carrying over your own progress from the main game to apply to a replay of the main game whether or not it has any additional content

yeah, so a mario game probably wouldn't count, unless it preserves your 1ups and coins

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Uptime Sinclair posted:

same. like playing batman again with every special move and bat-gadget right from the beginning, as it should be

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Sagebrush posted:

ng+ is one of the best gameplay inventions ever. playing through the game the second time with all the powers unlocked is often even more fun than the first time through

yeah binding of isaac's victory lap feature is fantastic. it's already a roguelike so of course you're starting over and over all the time already. but if you beat a specific boss it lets you start over again with all the items you already acquired. then it's just pure destruction as at that point you're probably doing the cliche 'anime character walks into a room and everything immediately explodes'

it's great

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

PIZZA.BAT posted:

yeah binding of isaac's victory lap feature is fantastic. it's already a roguelike so of course you're starting over and over all the time already. but if you beat a specific boss it lets you start over again with all the items you already acquired. then it's just pure destruction as at that point you're probably doing the cliche 'anime character walks into a room and everything immediately explodes'

it's great

binding of isaac is the only game where i actually bother to install mods. there are some good mods there.

my favorite mod is Nemesis which completely changes how weapons work: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=932425558

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Why the gently caress can't I easily buy Dungeon Master anywhere? This is madness!

Weedle
May 31, 2006

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Why the gently caress can't I easily buy Dungeon Master anywhere? This is madness!

there's an free open-source version that works on modern systems. download links are a ways down the page

http://dmweb.free.fr/?q=node/851

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

i really want to play alpha protocol again but i no longer have a ps3 and it got removed from the steam store a couple of years back over some common or garden music rights issue, and never got resolved because sega is the loving Worst At Doing Business

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

jesus WEP posted:

i really want to play alpha protocol again but i no longer have a ps3 and it got removed from the steam store a couple of years back over some common or garden music rights issue, and never got resolved because sega is the loving Worst At Doing Business
i really wish it was on psnow

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

i bet I’ve forgotten just how janky and lovely the stealth was and would bounce off it in a couple of hours lmao

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

jesus WEP posted:

i bet I’ve forgotten just how janky and lovely the stealth was and would bounce off it in a couple of hours lmao
i am finding this to be generally the case when i play ps3 games on the service lol

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

mgsv was not a great game but the ~*systems*~ were magical and something like AP will probably have aged even worse for it

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

don't eat it

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

lol

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

lol

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Sagebrush posted:

don't eat it

lol

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

:piss: light of death

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

Uptime Sinclair posted:

super ghouls and ghosts required you to complete the game twice to truly beat it (or use a cheat code to start on the 2nd loop)

gradius 2 and 3 (and possibly other shootemups before them) also had loops which would crank up the difficulty until you died

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

ghouls and ghosts was the only pre-smartphone video game that my mother played. now she's on like level 5,800 of candy crush :psyduck:

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Share Bear posted:

super ghouls and ghosts required you to complete the game twice to truly beat it (or use a cheat code to start on the 2nd loop)

gradius 2 and 3 (and possibly other shootemups before them) also had loops which would crank up the difficulty until you died

would zelda 1 count with the second quest that unlocks after the first playthrough? i dont think it carries over items like 2 only that it makes things harder

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Agile Vector posted:

would zelda 1 count with the second quest that unlocks after the first playthrough? i dont think it carries over items like 2 only that it makes things harder
iirc it wasn’t unlockable, just accessible if you put your name as ZELDA. not a ng+

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

jesus WEP posted:

ghouls and ghosts was the only pre-smartphone video game that my mother played. now she's on like level 5,800 of candy crush :psyduck:

p sure its impossible to get that far wo spending like a "car" amount of money on it

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Share Bear posted:

the former is kind of cool but iirc in that game you can’t/don’t bring your last level armor/subweapons or w/e back through to the first level. i can’t remember if the second time through is any different other than tripping the flag for “real end this time”

the latter is fairly common with old arcade games designed to munch quarters, culminating with a kill screen

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

when people get older they get into that sort of game, it seems

i used to hate things like crosswords but as i've gotten older now i do the nyt ones pretty much every day. on a good day i can do the full one in 15 minutes and the mini in under 30 seconds.

sudoku fuckin sucks though

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
-not real time
-very simple ruleset
-same UI as the rest of the computer and/or the real-world equivalent
-doesn't depend on a lot of arbitrary domain-specific knowledge

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Sagebrush posted:

when people get older they get into that sort of game, it seems

i used to hate things like crosswords but as i've gotten older now i do the nyt ones pretty much every day. on a good day i can do the full one in 15 minutes and the mini in under 30 seconds.

sudoku fuckin sucks though
i like picross

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

my time in mobile games has increased as turn based console games have been almost entirely eliminated from the market

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

turn based things are all deckbuilders now

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
deckbuilders make other print-money games look like art games

cogs for games has gone up 100, 1000x since doom, market size only went up like 20x, so this is what peeps do

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

i mean anything that catches on is gonna inspire a lot of shovelware yeah

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Games are expensive to make because game developers are idiots and don't re-use assets that take time (i.e. money) to make, just because like 40 000 nerds would cry about it on Reddit or Metacritic or whatever (I'm not sure how it works vOv)

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

the 40k nerds are usually on stormfront

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

jesus WEP posted:

the 40k nerds are usually on stormfront
i’m surprised they only have 40,000 registered racist accounts. i figured it’d be at least 5-10x more