Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

That being said I'm just gonna do what I did 15 years ago and stick to Rodney Mullen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huntman
Apr 22, 2010

chaleski posted:

It's pretty great that we have the Tony Hawk remaster, Skater XL, Session, AND Skate 4 some time in the future after a drought of skateboarding games for years, I can't wait to try them all.

Also they announced some modern additions to the Tony Hawk roster and it's pleasantly surprising, four guys, three women and one non-binary person is pretty awesome

dang had no idea this thread existed. Leo Baker in THPS is pretty rad. give me Jamie Foy in one of these games and i'll be stoked.

had a real itch for Skate 2 and basically played it nonstop for a week last month. might try and pick up SkaterXL on PC.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
surprised gou miyagi isnt on that list considering the types of rail poo poo you can do in thos gaems

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Gou spends too much time on foot and not ollie-ing tho

I like how Skate gave people like a tiny bit of RJackson/Gou-bility by making things like jumping onto your board when it's away from you and hippie-planting actual animations and mechanics, even if they aren't truly full on options for lines.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Jun 29, 2020

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
Rye Airfield in NH just announced the sale of the property and all its assets. The biggest and arguably best remaining indoor skatepark in New England is about to close the doors for good. poo poo sucks, man. Hurts

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"
World Freestyle Round-up this year was online only, with submitted videos

Here's the top am and pro videos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kVu01O33vk
Skating starts at 16 minute mark

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6sSrZCtFi7M

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Watched a bit of the flatground thing, mostly ams, which are surprisingly good. Thanks for posting it

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
Mason Silva is good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVU9ipxtI_Q

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"
Happy Medium put their hm 5 on youtubes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCo00o6w6EU

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Coul use some advice on some safety equipment recommendations!

Had a nasty fall riding my oneWheel yesterday and broke my radius and ulna above my wrist. Even though I was decked out in safety gear head-to-toe the wrist guards didn't prevent the break due to falling backwards.

Really looking to find something like a full lower arm brace cause I feel like a longer guard would have distributed the force evenly to stop the break. Can't for the life of me find any protective gear that would accomplish this; can someone steer me in the right direction?

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

I spent a lot of time looking for safety gear cause old and as I understand it, there really isn't much commercially out there that can help you against falling backwards and having a bad bail like that, you might be SOL. Most full forearm stuff seems to be for like, martial arts and impact/striking protection rather than distributing the force from a fall. You could maybe retrofit one of those with a brace but I suspect it'll not be much better than a regular wrist guard unfortunately. It's kinda historically been A Thing that wrist guards don't do a whole lot to completely prevent breaks from backwards falls.

This is gonna sound condescending but most people and places I checked with suggested the only real thing to do is learn how to fall properly and try to always fall forwards, learn how to do backwards rolls or ninja rolls and tuck your limbs in when you take a spill. Sorry about your wrists, that sucks bad.

Boredumb
Mar 10, 2005

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

This is gonna sound condescending but most people and places I checked with suggested the only real thing to do is learn how to fall properly and try to always fall forwards, learn how to do backwards rolls or ninja rolls and tuck your limbs in when you take a spill. Sorry about your wrists, that sucks bad.

I've broken many bones skating (foot, hands, arm, tailbone), and specifically my wrist falling backwards. Learning to fall properly saved me so much more pain, it's 100% the best thing to do. Fighting your instincts is difficult, learning to lean into your instincts to brace yourself and sort of rolling into a fall is really valuable.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

I'm basically so scared of hurting myself that I'm actively a worse skater for it and I deck myself out in the equivalent of an EOD Bomb Disposal Suit whenever I go out, but I think the main thing that's prevented injuries was the 2 or 3 sessions I spent intentionally throwing myself into the grass at increasingly high speeds to practice falls, def recommend that even if you still wanna go with a longer arm brace

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
Maybe I should try that.
But my old man reflexes seem to be just too slow. I know the theory about falling, and as a kid did it pretty well.

Went to a free recreation park from the city last weekend where they had an abandoned vert.
I managed to fall while I was almost done (of course).
Despite the fact that I was wearing these g form knee pads and the ramp being made out of fiberglass, I ended up with a massive bruise.

Also, I"m supposed to make a kids comic book about a 40 something geezer starting to skate again, and who missuses the high-end equipment at his dead end job to develop a skateboard truck that rides over cobblestone, but I'm running into writing problems all the time due to not knowing poo poo about modern skateboarding.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

See I've read about doing this, but since the wheel is in the center of the board and not between four wheels you really can't practice falling forward like that. Nine times out of ten whenever you lose your footing you are always leaning back, that's the design on how the oneWheel is propelled.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

sounds like another item for the Pros list of "reasons to ride a REAL skateboard"

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
What is the target market for those things anyway?

The one guy I know who owns one (lol he has three) is a skinny software guy who never skated as a youth and constantly wrecks himself on it.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

XIII posted:

sounds like another item for the Pros list of "reasons to ride a REAL skateboard"

Thanks, this really helps answer my question and not make you look like a prick at all.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
If you want to learn how to fall in a myriad of situations I recommend learning judo or Brazilian jiu jitsu.

Hard to do now because of the plague but maybe someday.

Steve Youngblood
Mar 19, 2007

***Hollywood Cobbler***

Parrotine posted:

Thanks, this really helps answer my question and not make you look like a prick at all.

This is the exact response you'll get from any skateboarder if you roll up on them dressed like robocop asking them how to stay safe on your e-wheel. If you are going to be the joke you have to be able to take one too or else you are going to hurt your feelings on top of your wrist. Maybe bolt on some scooter handles?

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Parrotine posted:

Hope you wear a helmet on your future scooter in case the next joke doesn't go right over your head

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Parrotine posted:

See I've read about doing this, but since the wheel is in the center of the board and not between four wheels you really can't practice falling forward like that. Nine times out of ten whenever you lose your footing you are always leaning back, that's the design on how the oneWheel is propelled.

I guess I'd focus on practicing how to fall backwards better then? You can still do backwards rolls that distribute the fall along your body in a similar way to the forward rolls, its just a lot easier cause if you fall forward with wrist guards you can relatively safely use your hands, whereas backwards you're gonna need to fight every instinct to put your arms back. Someone mentioned Judo and that's probably a great place to start cause like 50% of that is getting thrown around and learning how to not break your wrists even when its like, non-optimal fall geometry

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

What is the target market for those things anyway?

The one guy I know who owns one (lol he has three) is a skinny software guy who never skated as a youth and constantly wrecks himself on it.

I literally today saw some dude who looked like Tommy Lee Jones circa No Country cruising down a bike lane on one and thought about it all day.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

https://www.versace.com/us/en-us/home-collection/versace-lifestyle/for-the-gym/printed-skateboard-z7011/ZSKATE001-ZWOOD001_Z7011.html

Fucks sake.

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

I really want to see a product review of that, ending with someone focusing it

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

I guess I'd focus on practicing how to fall backwards better then? You can still do backwards rolls that distribute the fall along your body in a similar way to the forward rolls, its just a lot easier cause if you fall forward with wrist guards you can relatively safely use your hands, whereas backwards you're gonna need to fight every instinct to put your arms back. Someone mentioned Judo and that's probably a great place to start cause like 50% of that is getting thrown around and learning how to not break your wrists even when its like, non-optimal fall geometry

Sounds like something I'll look into doing, appreciate the help!

Steve Youngblood posted:

This is the exact response you'll get from any skateboarder if you roll up on them dressed like robocop asking them how to stay safe on your e-wheel. If you are going to be the joke you have to be able to take one too or else you are going to hurt your feelings on top of your wrist. Maybe bolt on some scooter handles?

The response I usually get from skateboarders is 'that looks dope, what is it/where can I get one', nice try though.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I saw a guy dressed head to toe in white on a OW and he tried to speed up a hill but he leaned too far forward and bit the nose of the deck in the dirt and launched himself six feet ahead into the grass.

He didn't seem all that surprised.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
OW seems needlessly weird. Maybe I'm missing something but whats the big advantage over just doing a regular board with a motor? Do people really love hover/lean style control that much?

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
I'm sorry, I don't make the rules, but if you want to be cool on an electric skate thing you have to dress like Jeff Tatum when you do it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9PSIIZ2K7Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qv8DbBVCHnM

UFOTacoMan fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Sep 16, 2020

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Intel&Sebastian posted:

OW seems needlessly weird. Maybe I'm missing something but whats the big advantage over just doing a regular board with a motor? Do people really love hover/lean style control that much?

I have a coworker who used to downhill race and now that he's pushing fifty he just builds his own motorized longboards.

He can get over 60 mph on flat ground with it. It's so loving wild.

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!
:black101:

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

I saw a guy dressed head to toe in white on a OW and he tried to speed up a hill but he leaned too far forward and bit the nose of the deck in the dirt and launched himself six feet ahead into the grass.

He didn't seem all that surprised.

It's the biggest issue with them. From what I understand when you go too fast it causes the board to slow itself, which causes the nose to dip, which then hits the ground and ejects you. It's a bad enough problem that people put aftermarket tiny wheels on the front so it hits those and keeps rolling instead of stopping immediately.

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Yes, turns out people will pay a lot of money for something with less functionality and stability but makes you look like you're from the future.

I first saw them at burning man which seemed like an ideal area for them, massive open flat desert. I'm sure I'd have a lot of fun dicking around on one, but it's firmly under the "expensive toys I will use three times and then never again" category. Maybe when they're cheaper.

Claes Oldenburger fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Sep 16, 2020

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

I imagine they're gonna be like those hoverboard things that were goddamn everywhere for a few months until suddenly everyone just stops using them one day

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
My leg still looks like that of an 80 year old dead lady from a simple fall on my knee, while I was wearing knee pads.
I got a massive bruise that is slowly moving down my leg and I have to put some weird cream on it 3 times a day.

These hipster G form knee pad are of course poo poo. I should have bought real ones.
Anybody have any recommendations?

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

I've yet to serious test mine, but I'm happy with my G-Forms.

Also, just to spam some more BMX into this thread, but this is just plain mad:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHOttB2enSQ

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

shamelessly stolen from trimp thread

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

mrfart posted:

My leg still looks like that of an 80 year old dead lady from a simple fall on my knee, while I was wearing knee pads.
I got a massive bruise that is slowly moving down my leg and I have to put some weird cream on it 3 times a day.

These hipster G form knee pad are of course poo poo. I should have bought real ones.
Anybody have any recommendations?

187 pads, they seem bulky at first but allow for good range of motion.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

ImplicitAssembler posted:

I've yet to serious test mine, but I'm happy with my G-Forms.

Also, just to spam some more BMX into this thread, but this is just plain mad:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHOttB2enSQ

I almost posted this the other day. So loving good.

sleppy
Dec 25, 2008

I'm always down to watch BMX, and that thread is dead so thanks for posting. I kept checking the timestamp thinking 'we still have a lot of video left..,' nutty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

My days of giving a poo poo if people ride skateboards/bikes/rollerblades/scooters (yes, even scooters) are far in my past. If you're willing to huck yourself down stairs on a fancy version of child's toy, you're cool with me.