Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

I had a colonist come down with gut worms and then get food poisoning. He decided that was enough and left the colony, but as the ground was covered in snow and he was severely debilitated, he got just outside the walls before he managed to vomit himself into malnutrition and collapsed. The game pinged, “so and so has changed his mind.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Tenzarin posted:

Everyone was exhausted from a huge mechanoid cluster. Someone had a mental break and it was jail break in which they caused 10 prisoners to start a jailbreak.

Another reason to cut the legs off prisoners.

Whenever I get a quest to house prisoners from now on I'm just going to chop off their legs as soon as I can. I'm tired of them prison breaking or berzerking then getting put full of holes by the turrets thus making me fail the quest.

HelloSailorSign posted:

I had a colonist come down with gut worms and then get food poisoning. He decided that was enough and left the colony, but as the ground was covered in snow and he was severely debilitated, he got just outside the walls before he managed to vomit himself into malnutrition and collapsed. The game pinged, “so and so has changed his mind.”

This amuses me.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

SugarAddict posted:

This amuses me.

:agreed: definitely funnier than the time I had a guy 'give up' and apparently also decide to ragequit the universe by marching directly into a scyther raid.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
i cracked open the ancient secret p late in the game because i didnt have any use for anything until i needed advanced components

4 sleepers. pyro, gourmand, missing 2 limbs and couldnt do dumb or skilled labor, and a kind pyro gourmand

shot them into a pirate colony and watched them die. kind pyro gourmand was holding 2 advanced components tho

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

bob dobbs is dead posted:

kind pyro gourmand was holding 2 advanced components tho

*audience laugh track*

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
Besides CE are there any mods that improve\rebalance armor mechanics? Having limbs cracked by chinchilla heads through heavy armor doesn't feel like something that should ever happen.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Kermit the leader of the colony woke up from a catatonic state set by a psychic drone, to go throw a tantrum in the artillery ammo pile and set off an Antigrain warhead. Now half my colony is in ruins, but atleast the only dead person is Kermit....

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Reminder that when you have visiting nobles. While stealing their cybernetic eyeballs will upset them.

Jamming a joywire into their brain to force them to be happy all the time whether they want to or not. Will not fail your quest or hurt your standing. And when the same noble visits again. They will still have the Joywire.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Kibbles n Shits posted:

Besides CE are there any mods that improve\rebalance armor mechanics? Having limbs cracked by chinchilla heads through heavy armor doesn't feel like something that should ever happen.

There's Yayo's Combat which significantly changes the combat values and visuals but doesn't fundamentally alter the mechanics.

You can also disable parts of CE like the ammo system if you don't want them to be so fiddly. Though that also means you can't use AP ammo so mechanoids will be hard to deal with.

agrielaios
Dec 25, 2009

ughhhh posted:

Kermit the leader of the colony woke up from a catatonic state set by a psychic drone, to go throw a tantrum in the artillery ammo pile and set off an Antigrain warhead. Now half my colony is in ruins, but atleast the only dead person is Kermit....

Kermit, perfect name for the occasion

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

There's Yayo's Combat which significantly changes the combat values and visuals but doesn't fundamentally alter the mechanics.

You can also disable parts of CE like the ammo system if you don't want them to be so fiddly. Though that also means you can't use AP ammo so mechanoids will be hard to deal with.

Oh wow, that looks worth it for the slick combat animations alone. I'll give it a shot, thanks!

I love combat extended, I just hate that it breaks other mods that I also love, but from time to time I do a CE compatible run and it's pretty awesome.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

As a general rule, what mods does CE break? I imagine anything that adds weapons, clothing, armor, yeah?

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
Anything that adds any weapons, armor, apparel, etc. that doesn't have a CE patch, yeah. Simple apparel may be exempt in some way, but I'm not sure.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
I think I need to have a bunch of cryo-sleepers just when high psychic drones happen so i can throw colonists into the sleepers so they don't have extreme breaks and do something stupid.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Epsilon Plus posted:

Anything that adds any weapons, armor, apparel, etc. that doesn't have a CE patch, yeah. Simple apparel may be exempt in some way, but I'm not sure.

I believe it will convert a lot of armour values to CE equivalents but they may not be balanced very well, so clothing is probably fine as the armour value will be negligible, armours may be imbalanced.

Weaponry needs specificaly converting because CE uses a completely different system in all aspects of weapon functionality.

It also interacts with some things like doors, adding a "peek around door to shoot" behaviour I believe.

Also cover values for objects include a cover height, which may be translated from the cover value but may also not be entirely correct, also I think an entity needs to be physically capable of shooting over cover so things like T1 androids might not be able to shoot over some kinds of cover? Because CE actually works out how much of a pawn's body a particular kind of cover will... cover... based on the size of the pawn and the height of the object.

All that said, however, CE does now come with a quite extensive list of built in compatibility with a wide range of mods, so you can run it with a good complement of mods and with the way CE works, you probably won't want to go absolutely ham on other mods to go with it because it really is sufficient to be the focus of the game itself.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
Cover height can be a bit fucky; idk if it's fixed yet but for a while one of the best mods to add embrasures made it so pawns couldn't actually shoot over them if CE was enabled because the cover height got set to like 1.90m

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
I got a pawn that's supposed to be incapable of animal handling doing just that, but because she's incapable of it there's no box for it on the work tab to forbid her from it. I think it has to do with the fact that she's a clone from the Questionable Ethics mod, that was able to do it when she was first grown but I overwrote the blank clone mind with the template of someone else who had it as forbidden. I think that she was originally set to do it at a high priority by default, and the game didn't fix it when she got overwritten.

Anyone know if there's a way to fix this? I have actual trained pawns around to do this, I just know she's gonna gently caress something up next time I try taming a thrumbo.

metasynthetic fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Sep 16, 2020

That Guy Bob
Apr 30, 2009
Temporary change her background with Character Editor and uncheck the box, or let her gently caress up taming a Thrumbo and let nature take its course.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Time to cull the colony and eliminate the massive stockpiles, with the 14 pawns and 10 animals I took along it took near 30 seconds for each click to register on the caravan formation screen. :V

I'm probably going to check out that mod that allows investigation of what's taking processing time. I'm guessing it's Vanilla Brewing and Soups, as I built loads of processors.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe

HelloSailorSign posted:

Time to cull the colony and eliminate the massive stockpiles, with the 14 pawns and 10 animals I took along it took near 30 seconds for each click to register on the caravan formation screen. :V

I'm probably going to check out that mod that allows investigation of what's taking processing time. I'm guessing it's Vanilla Brewing and Soups, as I built loads of processors.

In my experience the cause of the lag is the automatic food and supplies option. I always disable it first and the caravan interface works smoothly even in a big colony.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Why does auto food default to bringing meals instead of pemmican or survival meals anyway.

Why would I want to bring my perishable fine meals when I’ve got a stack of 50 survival meals specially for caravaning.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

HelloSailorSign posted:

I know that rimcuisine used to add massive amounts of lag from its brewing jobs just by existing, even if you didn't use any of the brewing stuff, so yes it may be the brewing thing.

But the dubs performance analyser is very useful for that yes.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe

hopeandjoy posted:

Why does auto food default to bringing meals instead of pemmican or survival meals anyway.

Why would I want to bring my perishable fine meals when I’ve got a stack of 50 survival meals specially for caravaning.

It seems to prefer food that will increase mood, which is probably not a terrible idea if it's a short caravan trip, especially if travelling to an encounter where injuries and other negative moodlets are possible because late game pawns with high expectations go insane pretty quickly when deprived of their golden statues and royal bedrooms\dining halls.

I do wish you could disable it by default though.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Interesting. I did have to go through and clean that up as the animals could still graze yet it was trying to shove 4000 units of hay along for the ride. Makes sense though, I had loads of food and raw materials that the game probably calculated and re-calculated over and over trying to get the optimum amount.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

HelloSailorSign posted:

Interesting. I did have to go through and clean that up as the animals could still graze yet it was trying to shove 4000 units of hay along for the ride. Makes sense though, I had loads of food and raw materials that the game probably calculated and re-calculated over and over trying to get the optimum amount.

Are you in (or planning on traveling through) a biome that doesn't allow grazing in winter?

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Just hit fall. However, did have the Vanilla Expanded Ice Age hit, so I'm now a Boreal Forest, may have pathed through some Tundra?

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Katt posted:

Reminder that when you have visiting nobles. While stealing their cybernetic eyeballs will upset them.

Jamming a joywire into their brain to force them to be happy all the time whether they want to or not. Will not fail your quest or hurt your standing. And when the same noble visits again. They will still have the Joywire.
What about casting the happiness spell that does something similar?

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

ShadowHawk posted:

What about casting the happiness spell that does something similar?

My Rimworld hasn't worked since 1.2 so I don't know about that one :v:

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

hopeandjoy posted:

It optimizes for maximum nutrition and mood for least weight before spoiling. Fine meals don't spoil very fast so if you're going on a 1 day journey they'll actually be the superior food source

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Kibbles n Shits posted:

It seems to prefer food that will increase mood, which is probably not a terrible idea if it's a short caravan trip, especially if travelling to an encounter where injuries and other negative moodlets are possible because late game pawns with high expectations go insane pretty quickly when deprived of their golden statues and royal bedrooms\dining halls.

I do wish you could disable it by default though.

The dumb thing is when considering "sky high expectations" and other moods, it takes into consideration pawns and their worth. If you have a pawn with 50k silver of implants out in the middle of no-where with nothing else they can still get sky high expectations.

Bitch just because you have gold guilded implants doesn't mean you should throw a fit just because you don't have a bed room made of gold out in the middle of bum gently caress nowhere. I will order the rest of the colony to shoot you dead piss off.

And this is why I tend to shun jealous and greedy pawns.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Also note that caravan spoilage takes outside temperature into account too, so if it's winter or arctic or whatever meals will last a lot longer and it will account for that too. It's pretty handy aside from the lag issue during setup.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

SugarAddict posted:

The dumb thing is when considering "sky high expectations" and other moods, it takes into consideration pawns and their worth. If you have a pawn with 50k silver of implants out in the middle of no-where with nothing else they can still get sky high expectations.

Bitch just because you have gold guilded implants doesn't mean you should throw a fit just because you don't have a bed room made of gold out in the middle of bum gently caress nowhere. I will order the rest of the colony to shoot you dead piss off.

And this is why I tend to shun jealous and greedy pawns.

if you look at how real life lottery winners behave, this is completely realistic

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
Does constructing furniture in the dark only affect the work speed or does it affect the resulting quality as well?

Edit: Haha, the vanilla furniture expanded: security mod adds catapults that can hurl rocks like primitive mortars at people, with the unintended side effect of sieging raiders being able to load their regular mortars with rocks. You had a pile of HE shells right there, guy!

Kibbles n Shits fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Sep 16, 2020

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
can you load a catapult with HE shells

this is important

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Kibbles n Shits posted:

Does constructing furniture in the dark only affect the work speed or does it affect the resulting quality as well?
Just the speed

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

I got tired of sending wave after wave of empire attacks that had difficulty breaching the defenses and actually staying to fight, so I spawned in 3 mechanoid drop pod raids and THAT is what finally killed the colony.

Whoa nelly dealing with sky high expectations and most surviving colonists having lost loved ones or friends. Went from 1.4mil colony wealth to 350k.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

QuarkJets posted:

It optimizes for maximum nutrition and mood for least weight before spoiling. Fine meals don't spoil very fast so if you're going on a 1 day journey they'll actually be the superior food source

Is this also why my rear end in a top hat colonists always eat the pemmican I am making for a business trip, instead of the simple meals which I have more than 100 in the freezer? So that they can carry more stuff and go on longer before their next meal?

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Dub's performance mod said that hauling jobs were taking a huge part of the processing power and, having the Pick Up and Haul mod (which I adore), I decided to turn it off.

I also saw there's a multi-threading mod now?! https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2222907981

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe

Coolguye posted:

can you load a catapult with HE shells

this is important

Sadly no. One downside is that they will barrage you forever so long as they can find stone chunks to hurl, and while not as potent as HE shells they are still capable of smashing through your roof and obliterating your dumpster full of corn, or removing an unlucky colonist's shoulder.

Usually I have a strong counter battery in place to blow up the sieging raiders but just prior to this, I learned that a single tile roof over your mortar shell crate doesn't offer the protection against lightning that I thought it did and an errant strike deleted it along with most of my mortars from the resulting explosion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

While they're walking 30 tiles to grab some more rocks would be an excellent time to set an ambush, since they don't forage with backup.