Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Video Games 0069
Jan 1, 2006

nice dolphin, nigga

Incelshok Na posted:

What about Another World? Now that was a video game. First video game that really felt like a movie to me. A silent movie, which makes it all the better.

Wrong thread, this is the Another Wilds thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Incelshok Na
Jul 2, 2020

by Hand Knit
Barumpump *swings cage* barumpump *swing cage* *goaler shoots*

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Finally figured out how to teleport to the center of Ash Twin, from there it was immediately clear what I needed to do to get to the proper ending. Looped again after the credits to see what would happen if I stayed inside the Ash Twin during the supernova and found the time paradox ending after that along with the ridiculous credits music. 10/10 game, the things that tripped me up the most were just the minor mechanics of having to wait in that small alcove before running onto the Ash Twin teleporter and having to run through the Sun Tower before the sand dropped too low. By that point I'd manually piloted to the Sun Station twice already and seen everything so there wasn't even any point.

Still missing 8 hidden achievements and the achievement for completing the ship log even though everything looks filled in, so I must have missed something. Some of the dumb things I've tried like swapping the Ash Twin core with the broken one from the Vessel and dozing off at the first campfire until 30 seconds before the supernova don't give achievements and I feel like the story is all wrapped up at this point. Only thing I can think of that I haven't done is lighting all the campfires in one run but that's just one achievement and I can't imagine it actually doing anything besides that. Probably just going to look up what the rest of them are.

Also lmao at Street Fight Radio getting a shoutout in the credits for whatever reason.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Finally figured out how to teleport to the center of Ash Twin, from there it was immediately clear what I needed to do to get to the proper ending. Looped again after the credits to see what would happen if I stayed inside the Ash Twin during the supernova and found the time paradox ending after that along with the ridiculous credits music. 10/10 game, the things that tripped me up the most were just the minor mechanics of having to wait in that small alcove before running onto the Ash Twin teleporter and having to run through the Sun Tower before the sand dropped too low. By that point I'd manually piloted to the Sun Station twice already and seen everything so there wasn't even any point.

Still missing 8 hidden achievements and the achievement for completing the ship log even though everything looks filled in, so I must have missed something. Some of the dumb things I've tried like swapping the Ash Twin core with the broken one from the Vessel and dozing off at the first campfire until 30 seconds before the supernova don't give achievements and I feel like the story is all wrapped up at this point. Only thing I can think of that I haven't done is lighting all the campfires in one run but that's just one achievement and I can't imagine it actually doing anything besides that. Probably just going to look up what the rest of them are.

Also lmao at Street Fight Radio getting a shoutout in the credits for whatever reason.

Most of the achievements are very obscure things you would probably not think to try so don't drive yourself nuts hunting for them - if you want 100% completion you can just look them up, you've finished the game so there's not really anything left to spoil anymore. I never got the "fill in the ship log" one to complete either, even after looking things up and picking up a couple obvious spots that I'd missed. I think you have to be pretty drat thorough to get it.

Phssthpok
Nov 7, 2004

fingers like strings of walnuts
One of the fun things to do to fill in the ship log was talking to Chert at different times in the cycle.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Most of the achievements are very obscure things you would probably not think to try so don't drive yourself nuts hunting for them - if you want 100% completion you can just look them up, you've finished the game so there's not really anything left to spoil anymore.

Looked them up and yeah, most are pretty obscure things I never would have thought to do myself. Kind of amazed that slamming into Giant's Deep at 15,000m/s apparently still isn't fast enough to break through the current beneath the surface. I flew way the hell outside the solar system and then accelerated back towards it for like ten minutes straight and still just bounced off the current same as always. Doesn't seem to work if I'm in the ship or if I bail out before hitting the planet and let momentum carry me. Either you need to time it so that you spend half the cycle backing out of the solar system and the other half accelerating so that you hit the planet right before the supernova happens or it's just buggy.

aqu
Aug 1, 2006

But Mooooooooom

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Looked them up and yeah, most are pretty obscure things I never would have thought to do myself. Kind of amazed that slamming into Giant's Deep at 15,000m/s apparently still isn't fast enough to break through the current beneath the surface. I flew way the hell outside the solar system and then accelerated back towards it for like ten minutes straight and still just bounced off the current same as always. Doesn't seem to work if I'm in the ship or if I bail out before hitting the planet and let momentum carry me. Either you need to time it so that you spend half the cycle backing out of the solar system and the other half accelerating so that you hit the planet right before the supernova happens or it's just buggy.

It’s not buggy, you just you need to go ~40k+ km out to be able to breach the current. It took me several tries before I went out far enough to build up enough speed.

Phssthpok
Nov 7, 2004

You can also get that achievement by using a Nomai shuttle, which will drop straight down. But the first time I tried that, I hit an island.

ohhyeah
Mar 24, 2016
I’ve tried getting into this game a couple times now, but the basic flying has a real steep learning curve and feels pretty disorienting. Does anyone have any advice beyond just keep flying? Is there some aspect I should be focusing on?

I can make it to the moon but beyond that has been a disaster.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

ohhyeah posted:

I’ve tried getting into this game a couple times now, but the basic flying has a real steep learning curve and feels pretty disorienting. Does anyone have any advice beyond just keep flying? Is there some aspect I should be focusing on?

Try using the autopilot, and keep in mind that any landing you can walk away from is a good landing.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

ohhyeah posted:

The autopilot can make it easier, just make sure there's nothing between you and the target destination.

Make sure you're using the landing view, it will automatically level you with respect to the ground of the body you're near so you only have to worry about feathering the up/down thrust for a gentle touchdown.

Also, yeah, a bad landing that damages or destroys your ship is not as big a problem as you might think.

Lamare
Mar 7, 2014

ohhyeah posted:

Are you using a keyboard or a controller? I found it personally better with the later.

ohhyeah
Mar 24, 2016

Lamare posted:

Are you using a keyboard or a controller? I found it personally better with the later.

Xbox controller. Thanks for all the advice! The biggest thing is that everything is constantly moving; which I get is the point but I always want to stop and hover. It sounds like I just need to launch myself into the vastness of space more.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

ohhyeah posted:

Xbox controller. Thanks for all the advice! The biggest thing is that everything is constantly moving; which I get is the point but I always want to stop and hover. It sounds like I just need to launch myself into the vastness of space more.

You can hold the A button to match your speed with anything you can lock on to, effectively making your ship motionless to that object.

Note you're actually adopting its speed so you can get whacked by other things near it

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Bought this, this looks really great so I'll try to avoid spoilers, I'm really bad at controlling the ship, I accidentally stumbled unto the missing harmonica player where he told me to follow a vine but when I got to the 'end' of that the planet rotated in a way that threw me outside of it and then I died and now when I try to fly back there again a big fish eats me, maybe I should go faster!!!

emanresu tnuocca fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Sep 16, 2020

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Bought this, this looks really great so I'll try to avoid spoilers, I'm really bad at controlling the ship, I accidentally stumbled unto the missing harmonica player where he told me to follow a vine but when I got to the 'end' of that the planet rotated in a way that through me outside of it and then I died and now when I try to fly back there again a big fish eats me, maybe I should go faster!!!

Just remember that the ship can accelerate in all directions at equal speed, and stopping takes the same amount of thrust (i.e. time) as starting does.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Bought this, this looks really great so I'll try to avoid spoilers, I'm really bad at controlling the ship, I accidentally stumbled unto the missing harmonica player where he told me to follow a vine but when I got to the 'end' of that the planet rotated in a way that through me outside of it and then I died and now when I try to fly back there again a big fish eats me, maybe I should go faster!!!

Could you be a little more specific? Dark Bramble shouldn't be flinging you around in any way while you're exploring it.

Also, regarding controlling your ship better (in response to the person a few posts above) the absolute best tip I can give is to liberally use the "match velocity" feature. Autopilot is convenient for covering long distances, but it's not going to help you maneuver. The landing camera, in my opinion, is more trouble than it's worth. It'll show you the ground you're trying to land on, but all of your flight inputs are rotated on a -90 degree pitch. When landing, just descend while aiming at the horizon. Also, try to familiarize yourself with your ascend and descend thrusters. If you're only operating on the WASD plane, you're going to have to combine rotational movement to go in all directions.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

And remember, if you can't figure something out after a while, go try something else! Many of the puzzles in this game are based on knowledge you get elsewhere.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Devils Affricate posted:

Could you be a little more specific? Dark Bramble shouldn't be flinging you around in any way while you're exploring it.

Also, regarding controlling your ship better (in response to the person a few posts above) the absolute best tip I can give is to liberally use the "match velocity" feature. Autopilot is convenient for covering long distances, but it's not going to help you maneuver. The landing camera, in my opinion, is more trouble than it's worth. It'll show you the ground you're trying to land on, but all of your flight inputs are rotated on a -90 degree pitch. When landing, just descend while aiming at the horizon. Also, try to familiarize yourself with your ascend and descend thrusters. If you're only operating on the WASD plane, you're going to have to combine rotational movement to go in all directions.

I don't know I'm just pretty bad at the 0g controls and when I was trying to approach the 'red thing' I fumbled with the controls and found myself falling out of the crevices and couldn't find my way back before running out of fuel, so I don't think it was anything 'special', just me being bad at video games. It's just that I wasn't eaten by a fish the first time, I guess I was lucky?

Yeah I use match velocity a lot when trying to orient with something.

Fwoderwick
Jul 14, 2004

Krazyface posted:

Just remember that the ship can accelerate in all directions at equal speed, and stopping takes the same amount of thrust (i.e. time) as starting does.

For a second I felt my cavalier but generally effective flying method melt away to Matrix style numbers and all knowing precision. I can just accelerate for half the distance to the planet and then de-accelerate for the rest!

Then I remembered the planets are moving independently of me as well :(

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Fwoderwick posted:

For a second I felt my cavalier but generally effective flying method melt away to Matrix style numbers and all knowing precision. I can just accelerate for half the distance to the planet and then de-accelerate for the rest!

Then I remembered the planets are moving independently of me as well :(

Honestly, as long as it's not the Interloper, that method works well enough.

Sailor Dave
Sep 19, 2013
That takes TOO LONG. Just slow down enough that you can either fix your ship when you crash, or you can crash into something that won't break your ship! That's the Timber Hearth way.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

are you even really playing Outer Wilds if you're not spending time figuring out how to go to each planet as fast as you can and rip it into reverse at the last possible second so your ship will 100% explode meteoring onto the surface if you are off by one second

my usual method is trying to hit 500km/s and only throwing it into reverse at about 2800m from my target, I think......autopilot sucks, don't use it!

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Doesn't even matter if your ship explodes if you jump out before it does.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Yeah the beauty of Outer Wilds is that you often don't need a working ship once you get to where you want to go. You don't even need an exit strategy.

Speaking of the ship I spent a lot of time trying to negotiate my way inside Brittle Hollow with my ship to get to the observatory. They talked about some "trail" that would take you there but meh

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

AndrewP posted:

Yeah the beauty of Outer Wilds is that you often don't need a working ship once you get to where you want to go. You don't even need an exit strategy.

Speaking of the ship I spent a lot of time trying to negotiate my way inside Brittle Hollow with my ship to get to the observatory. They talked about some "trail" that would take you there but meh

My Brittle Hollow experience had a definite arc to it:

1) Try to fly directly to places inside using the ship. Fail, fall into the black hole.

2) Try exploring on foot and pick up a bunch of lore. Frequently gently caress up, fall into the black hole.

3) Successfully navigate on foot to all the important locations. Sometimes intentionally fall into the black hole.

4) Get impatient on subsequent runs and fly to the important locations using the ship, only occasionally failing and falling into the black hole.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

I somehow failed all three of my attempts to either just zoom out of the galaxy or crash into giants deep core. Part of me really wants to go 100% it, but spending 22 minutes not really doing anything just isn't a great motivation to fire it back up. I also can't get two of the harder model-lander achievements. I've even tried watching guides on how exactly to hit the sun or land on moon, but just never been able to.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

AndrewP posted:

Yeah getting there via the "intended" path is one of those "this is harder than it should be" things because parts of the path that lead there have a habit of falling into the black hole very early in the cycle, and while you can still sometimes get there without them, the route is much less obvious if you don't already know where you're going.

Phssthpok
Nov 7, 2004

Khanstant posted:

I somehow failed all three of my attempts to either just zoom out of the galaxy or crash into giants deep core. Part of me really wants to go 100% it, but spending 22 minutes not really doing anything just isn't a great motivation to fire it back up. I also can't get two of the harder model-lander achievements. I've even tried watching guides on how exactly to hit the sun or land on moon, but just never been able to.

I wonder whether flying into the sun gets easier as the sun gets bigger.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Phssthpok posted:

I wonder whether flying into the sun gets easier as the sun gets bigger.

If you plan to die, yes. The Sun Station actually goes really early on the second sun expansion.

Phssthpok
Nov 7, 2004

I meant, flying the model spaceship into the sun. Can you get the achievement just by flying it anywhere during the supernova?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Phssthpok posted:

I meant, flying the model spaceship into the sun. Can you get the achievement just by flying it anywhere during the supernova?

There's an achievement for flying it to the moon so no, you cannot get the achievement by flying it into the supernova

e: whoops, should have kept reading the achievement list

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Phssthpok posted:

Hi, I haven't read your post, but there is no achievement for flying it into Giant's Deep.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

Wingnut Ninja posted:

My Brittle Hollow experience had a definite arc to it:
Gotta say, if it always ends with "fell into the black hole", then it's only half an arc.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
This game is so good. The way things start clicking together once you've gathered enough knowledge is just so satisfying, a game didn't make me feel so immersed in exploration in years, probably since morrowind. When you reach a new place and you already have some mastery of the mechanics, and you feel like space indiana jones. so good.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
Joseph Anderson streamed the entire game blind and it was a good watch, he picks up on things surprisingly quickly, definitely a lot faster than every other streamer I’ve seen play it https://youtu.be/pf26m0pSijI

Slum Loser
May 6, 2011
I finished this the other night and loved it. The way the music, characters, setting, art direction, and mechanics come together is just :discourse:. Took a few victory laps just to see some things and hear some tracks again.

Oh and hunt achievements, but I think I'm going to give up on doing the sun station landing. I can match pace and even maneuver into the space between the two structures about half the time, but it's impossible to leave the ship due to gravity and bailing out tends to also result in eventual flailing death when I hit those broken bits to stop, or a weird short-lived sun orbit if I miss. I guessing I'm just a bit slow unbuckling and reorienting because I had some close calls, but I don't want to frustrate my memories of this game by falling into the sun another 50 times. In my mind I'm an ace pilot now and Feldspar would be proud.

before I uninstall I'm definitely doing the time paradox thing again. I discovered that ending by accident ("Oh a black hole in the Ash Twin Project? Better jump in, just to be safe.") but never saw or spoke to myself, never even guessed it was possible, probably because I almost never used the map

I think I'll be replaying this game in like 3 years, maybe going back every 3-4, kind of like Majora's Mask.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

Imhotep posted:

Joseph Anderson streamed the entire game blind and it was a good watch, he picks up on things surprisingly quickly, definitely a lot faster than every other streamer I’ve seen play it https://youtu.be/pf26m0pSijI

The panic I felt when he would get so close to accidently stumbling into major plot reveals was something else.

It was a real pity when he used the glitch to reach the sixth location rather than going down the path of imaging -> entanglement -> knowledge

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Imhotep posted:

Hahaha he died in the tutorial too. I actually re-did the entire first day twice my first blind attempt. First time I yeeted myself into fall damage like he did, the second time I actually got into some tunnels or internal areas and died somewhere underwater. At the time I thought I hit a patch of ghost matter or something. Then my third try I finally actually went to where you're meant to go and unlocked my infinite lives. I actually died from phantom ghost matter a few times after that, until realizing the 22 minute timeline thing.

OH man, this playthrough is a blast to watch. Man gets lost in D Bramble, narrowly missing the intended sentry-pod tracking. Then he leaves Bramble and lands on Interloper, on a crash course with sun... but doesn't land or stay.drat, I wanna watch my friends pla ythis.

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Oct 20, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Khanstant posted:

Hahaha he died in the tutorial too. I actually re-did the entire first day twice my first blind attempt. First time I yeeted myself into fall damage like he did, the second time I actually got into some tunnels or internal areas and died somewhere underwater. At the time I thought I hit a patch of ghost matter or something. Then my third try I finally actually went to where you're meant to go and unlocked my infinite lives. I actually died from phantom ghost matter a few times after that, until realizing the 22 minute timeline thing.

After watching it I noticed that dying in the tutorial gives you the same unceremonious "game over" sequence (You Are Dead and crickets over the credits) as when I died trying to make it back to the ship after taking the core. The game is consistent, I'll give it that.