Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Crowetron posted:

I musta got that mixed up, too. Maybe its the Acid Rounds scene that cancels out the Forrest scene?

From a real quick run, I tried going through the west wing of the mansion, then went to the terrace with Forrest, and Barry was there. I then tried going through the east wing from top-to-bottom. However, the door next to the save room is locked, so I had to go back and run through the dog hallway and such to get back there. I tried getting the shotgun, but Barry doesn't save you, and you die.

What I find interesting (and I wonder if this is intentional) is that in the cutscene where Wesker disappears, you're directed towards the door on the opposite side from the dining room. If you're new to the game, and you follow those directions and explore through the east half, then you'll probably end up triggering the 'Jill Sandwich' scene, which allows you to get the shotgun early without having to switch it out, and you get the scene where Barry gives you the Acid Rounds (regardless if you exit into the main hall from the 1st or second floor). From there, you can nab the Bazooka.

Additionally, if you try to leave back out into the main hall from the start, then after a couple of scenes, the first zombie will automatically leave the room. However, when I went to check Kenneth, he had no ammo which he does if you find the zombie and return to Barry.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Sep 15, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I think some of the cutscenes in RE1 also only trigger if you’re taking too long or something like that?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Max Wilco posted:

It's still pretty impressive, especially since there's no way to access the original 3D renderings (if they even still exist.)
Oh yeah, it's definitely impressive. The technology has come an impressively long way, there's no way to argue with that.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

site posted:

For years as a kid I would swear up and down that there was a room I had seen where you could use a key after the game tells you you can safely discard it and you would get an item but they just want you to know you're done with it

What kinda lies you think kids make up about fortnite and poo poo these days? I had the greatest hits edition of DC and my friend said that GH versions were always missing something, the original RE release you could play as Barry

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

codo27 posted:

What kinda lies you think kids make up about fortnite and poo poo these days? I had the greatest hits edition of DC and my friend said that GH versions were always missing something, the original RE release you could play as Barry

If there are any for Fortnite or Minecraft or whatever I figure they must be endless and creative because there’s an entire apparatus on YouTube and Reddit and who knows where else dedicated to figuring out obscure stuff as soon as a hint of anything is mentioned.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

codo27 posted:

Oh lol I should've phrased it better, I thought that I had actually encountered that door but it was just me being stupid

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Max Wilco posted:

Is there a definitive version of Code Veronica? There's a few different releases for it.

anything with the X in title. the gamecube versions or the ps2 classics version on the ps4, which is the original ps2 version. theres a ps3/x360 version thats a port to a modern engine of the time in true widescreen that makes things darker with new lighting. the cutscenes suffer with framerate tho, at least on my ps3 anyway and last time i played i had a hard time seeing anything, like missing herb pickups, but then again, turns out my display wasnt calibrated right anyway so your milage may vary. they have everything in it tho.

the X version has expanded cutscenes and ending and a new haircut for one character, over the dreamcast original.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Max Wilco posted:

I think in every test run I did, Barry gave me Acid Rounds every time I did the 'Jill Sandwich' scene (or at least on save where I went through that scene). I guess I'll have to try exploring different rooms in a different order to see what happens.

you kinda have to go against the obvious path, i got barry with forest scene a few times. you kinda have to ignore muscle memory and do things out of the order i feel like most people did. its cool they did it this way tho.

its to do with how many times you enter the main hall and if/if not you let barry save you or you got the shotgun the other way. he can also turn up in the bee room or not and a lot of other moments to make you think hes the bad guy. that saving jill plus waiting for a rope from it effects the ending to boot.

Vikar Jerome fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Sep 15, 2020

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

codo27 posted:

There are dozens of youtube channels dedicated to that now, and one of them even gave a copy of Undertale to the Pope.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Kibayasu posted:

I think some of the cutscenes in RE1 also only trigger if you’re taking too long or something like that?
IIRC, you lose out on the upgraded shotgun if you take too long to help out Kenneth and Rebecca. The extra dick move is that the game doesn't tell you you're taking too long to help Kenneth out, you have to time it out yourself or prioritize that sidequest over other things.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

AradoBalanga posted:

IIRC, you lose out on the upgraded shotgun if you take too long to help out Kenneth and Rebecca. The extra dick move is that the game doesn't tell you you're taking too long to help Kenneth out, you have to time it out yourself or prioritize that sidequest over other things.

Richard, not Kenneth. And that's only in REmake. In the PlayStation original, Richard died whether or not you got the Serum to him in time, but you had a different dialog (and I think you got the radio if he lived? Been a while), but in the REmake he stays alive long enough to get killed with the better shotgun later.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Otherwise this isn't wrong, though. The game doesn't tell you how long you have or whether you succeed or fail until you get back to him. Considering that it's also an effort of five minutes or less and the time margin is pretty generous, I don't find it all that onerous, though.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I didn’t mean something like Richard. I thought I had read that if you entered the mail hall or other hub areas too many times without solving a specific puzzle the game would give you help or something. I may be making that up.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Vikar Jerome posted:

anything with the X in title. the gamecube versions or the ps2 classics version on the ps4, which is the original ps2 version. theres a ps3/x360 version thats a port to a modern engine of the time in true widescreen that makes things darker with new lighting. the cutscenes suffer with framerate tho, at least on my ps3 anyway and last time i played i had a hard time seeing anything, like missing herb pickups, but then again, turns out my display wasnt calibrated right anyway so your milage may vary. they have everything in it tho.

the X version has expanded cutscenes and ending and a new haircut for one character, over the dreamcast original.

I guess then I can either try picking up the PS2 Classic on PS4 version, or try to emulate the GameCube version through Dolphin, as it looks like it emulates relatively well with the latest version.

Vikar Jerome posted:

you kinda have to go against the obvious path, i got barry with forest scene a few times. you kinda have to ignore muscle memory and do things out of the order i feel like most people did. its cool they did it this way tho.

its to do with how many times you enter the main hall and if/if not you let barry save you or you got the shotgun the other way. he can also turn up in the bee room or not and a lot of other moments to make you think hes the bad guy. that saving jill plus waiting for a rope from it effects the ending to boot.

I was checking the GameFAQs page for RE1 today during my free time at work, and someone made flowcharts demonstrating what criteria you need to meet to get certain scenes ([url="[https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/ps/198454-resident-evil/map/7539-chris-cinema-flowchart"]the flowchart for Chris[/url], and the flowchart for Jill; they're just images, but I didn't want to post them because they're extremely long)

As it turns out, picking up the chemical is the trigger for the cutscene where Barry gives you the Acid Rounds, and you can read the entirety of the Researcher's Will if you find it before you find Richard. The scene where Rebecca is attacked by the Hunter also varies depending on where you first find her. If you find her in the save room, then that's where she gets attacked later, but if you find her with Richard, then she gets attacked in the room with the botany book. The time it takes for you get the Serum back to Chris also affects whether she'll follow you to the guardhouse or not.

-

Here's another weird/dumb question: there was an old animation video I remember where there was a joke about how at the end of RE1, when Brad throws Jill the rocket launcher, he shouts, "You're an Amazon, Jill!" At that time, I don't think I had seen all of RE1, so I thought it was joke about the audio quality (i.e. he actually says, 'you're amazing, Jill', but it ends up muddled or something). However, that's what I thought I heard too, and the game script I looked at says that as well. Was that a translation goof or something? Searching for 'resident evil jill amazon' only gets me Amazon.com links for RE products, among other things.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Sep 16, 2020

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Speaking of triggers, in remake I've played it through like 7 or 8 times since I got it in March and still can't remember how to trigger the vjolt mixing side quest lol

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

site posted:

Speaking of triggers, in remake I've played it through like 7 or 8 times since I got it in March and still can't remember how to trigger the vjolt mixing side quest lol

In RE1Classic, I found I couldn't do anything until I specifically found the report on V-Jolt. Dunno if it's the same in REMake.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
Resident Evil Village - 2nd Trailer | PS5
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7paVdAx3cjE

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Weak second trailer. They didn’t need to do Mia’s fairytale again. Looking forward to actual gameplay footage from TGS.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Mirificus posted:

Resident Evil Village - 2nd Trailer | PS5
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7paVdAx3cjE

Like with RE7, I'm sure there's still stuff in the game from other RE title (Chris is in it, and I'm sure the big monster things are infected with some flavor of T-Virus), but tonally, it doesn't seem like a RE game. It feels like it's lacking in that campy goofiness.

I dunno, maybe I'm wrong in holding up things like "Jill Sandwich" and "your left hand comes off?" as core elements of series' identity.

The shots of the castle and make it look like you're going to Cainhurst Castle from Bloodborne. The animation for the story looks like it was done by Henry Selick.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Sep 17, 2020

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

7 didn’t seem very Resident Evily too from its previews. I’m sure it’ll be there. I’m getting 4 vibes with the castle setting. I hope Leon shows up.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I'm excited to meet that new Merchant.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Policenaut posted:

I'm excited to meet that new Merchant.

I hope he reveals he’s related to the 4 one.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Max Wilco posted:

I dunno, maybe I'm wrong in holding up things like "Jill Sandwich" and "your left hand comes off?" as core elements of series' identity.

You are wrong to expect that poo poo in a trailer.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Yeah, I think I'd have to agree there. Crappy 90s translation snafus and cheesy action movie one-liners may have become pretty integral to the mood of the series, at least in the mind of many fans, but thinking you'd see that sort of thing in a trailer is really a case of mistaken expectations. That has never been the case for any previous titles, either.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

i have no idea why you would expect this to be any different than RE7

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I liked that weird Tim Burton looking animation bit for the fairytale.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Doesn't 8 share creative DNA with hillbilly punchmans simulator End of Zoe? I fully expect more goofiness from it but yeah, probably not in its big serious trailer.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

rabidsquid posted:

i have no idea why you would expect this to be any different than RE7

I guess because 7 was so different from previous entries so maybe people weren't sure if the idea moving forward was to keep changing it up a little? I wasn't certain what to expect. I recently went back to replay RE7 and, for some reason, didn't like it as much the second time around even though I loved it when it was released. 8 looks cool as hell but I'm not buying a new console anytime soon so I'll be back in 5 years with my review. Hopefully the castle is designed to echo the maze like structure of the mansion in RE1 but we'll see I guess.

Meanwhile, if I want a decent scare, I just grabbed Alien:Isolation for Xbone and plan on trying Dead Space 2 after that.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

BiggerBoat posted:

I guess because 7 was so different from previous entries so maybe people weren't sure if the idea moving forward was to keep changing it up a little? I wasn't certain what to expect. I recently went back to replay RE7 and, for some reason, didn't like it as much the second time around even though I loved it when it was released. 8 looks cool as hell but I'm not buying a new console anytime soon so I'll be back in 5 years with my review. Hopefully the castle is designed to echo the maze like structure of the mansion in RE1 but we'll see I guess.

Meanwhile, if I want a decent scare, I just grabbed Alien:Isolation for Xbone and plan on trying Dead Space 2 after that.

DS2 has held up really well, I played through it earlier this year, graphics and sound design are top notch still and has some proper "what-the-actual-gently caress" setpieces.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I find it kinda odd how Mia is telling Ethan he's too paranoid while being all relaxed and domestic. Lady used to be a bioweapon transporter and part time serial killer who spent two years locked up in Baker Bayou.

I guess I should say I'm expecting a twist.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

maybe she was replaced with an evil(er) clone

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Did Wesker fight a tyrant at the end of Umbrella Chronicles? I only have 2 vague memories left of that game which are the train section of RE 0 and maybe some bonus game/last boss fight where you are playing as Wesker and the camera is flying around everywhere and it was super hard/annoying?

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
Wesker fights two Tyrants at once near the end of UC, yes.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Cardiovorax posted:

Yeah, I think I'd have to agree there. Crappy 90s translation snafus and cheesy action movie one-liners may have become pretty integral to the mood of the series, at least in the mind of many fans, but thinking you'd see that sort of thing in a trailer is really a case of mistaken expectations. That has never been the case for any previous titles, either.

Admittedly, I've not seen that many of the RE trailers, but that makes sense. The trailer just makes me think the game's going to be on the grim and depressing side, but I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

-

Anyway, the Resident Evil games are on sale right now on Steam.

RE4, RE5 & RE6 are in a bundle for about $15, but there's also a Collector's Pack bundle that come with those three, the two Revelation games, and a lot of the DLC for about $44.

I'm looking to scoop up everything I don't have (RE5, RE6, RE7 and RE3Make). I already have a few things that are in the bundle (RE4, and Revelations 1 & 2 standalone), so the price is slightly lower ($11 for the 4+5+6 bundle, and $36 for the Collector's Pack bundle). However, I was curious about the DLC.

Most of the Revelations DLC looks like it's just weapons and customization bits (most all of which have an overall 'Mixed' rating), but there's also the two character DLCs (Rachael Ooze and Lady HUNK), which have aggregate 'Positive' rating and look interesting.

For Revelations 2, there's the other episodes, along with costumes and characters for Raid Mode. I don't know what Raid Mode is, but there's also like nine 'storage' DLCs for it as well. RERevelations2 I got for dirt cheap, but I haven't played it yet. (Nor have I played anything else in the pack)

There's the Untold Stories DLC for Resident Evil 5, which I know nothing about, but it the reviews make it sound like it's pretty good.

Finally, RE7 comes in a 'Gold' Edition that comes with a season pass. Again, I know nothing about the DLC for it.

I've already got RE1Make and RE2Make, and I just picked up RE0 the other day. The DLC for RE2Make and RE3Make just seem to be for getting all unlockables at the start, and skins for the multiplayer mode. RE6 has DLC, but none of it looks interesting. There's also Operation Racoon City and Umbrella Corps, but it sounds like those are both garbage.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
The best DLC for RE2Make is free. Ghost Survivors are really good once you are familiar with base game RE2Make and want to see how good you are at the combat. The soundtrack has unique tracks that are definite bangers. The DLC for RE3Make is very irrelevant because a bit more than minimal game clearing will give you infinite weapons if you want them.

Resident Evil 7 DLC is hit or miss. Luckily this is a pretty good sale if you don't already have any of the DLC or RE7 itself. Not A Hero is a post-game chapter that is free so give it a whirl after the main game. End of Zoe is also a post-game chapter that is good and can be purchased alone. Daughters is a short prequel chapter but probably functions better played after RE7 itself. Those are the best ones, the rest are hit or miss, depending on how much you reaaaaaally want mini games or RE7 combat, which isn't really the games strongest suit. Nightmare and Ethan Must Die are extra combat challenges. Jack's Birthday is a wacky extra combat challenge. Bedroom is a weird, interesting puzzle. 21 is a stand alone card game, like black jack and being in a Saw trap.

End of Zoe is $6 alone but included in the season pass. The gold edition or base game + season pass is $10 + 10, so for $4 you'll probably get a kick out of those six extra features. Less than a dollar a try and you just might enjoy more than one.

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Sep 18, 2020

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Doomykins posted:

The best DLC for RE2Make is free. Ghost Survivors are really good once you are familiar with base game RE2Make and want to see how good you are at the combat. The soundtrack has unique tracks that are definite bangers. The DLC for RE3Make is very irrelevant because a bit more than minimal game clearing will give you infinite weapons if you want them.

Resident Evil 7 DLC is hit or miss. Luckily this is a pretty good sale if you don't already have any of the DLC or RE7 itself. Not A Hero is a post-game chapter that is free so give it a whirl after the main game. End of Zoe is also a post-game chapter that is good and can be purchased alone. Daughters is a short prequel chapter but probably functions better played after RE7 itself. Those are the best ones, the rest are hit or miss, depending on how much you reaaaaaally want mini games or RE7 combat, which isn't really the games strongest suit. Nightmare and Ethan Must Die are extra combat challenges. Jack's Birthday is a wacky extra combat challenge. Bedroom is a weird, interesting puzzle. 21 is a stand alone card game, like black jack and being in a Saw trap.

End of Zoe is $6 alone but included in the season pass. The gold edition or base game + season pass is $10 + 10, so for $4 you'll probably get a kick out of those six extra features. Less than a dollar a try and you just might enjoy more than one.

I couldn't find a listing for Ghost Survivors on Steam, but from a search, it was part of an update for.

I think I might just get RE7 standalone, and see how I like it before I get the DLC. Since I'm trying to play them in order, it might be a while before I get to it.

Is there anything I should know about the Revelations games? I thinking about getting the Collector's pack with all the DLC, but I don't know that much about Revelations. The only thing I've heard about it recently is that it doesn't have zombies, just the BOWs, which is interesting.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Max Wilco posted:

I couldn't find a listing for Ghost Survivors on Steam, but from a search, it was part of an update for.

Ghost Survivors will be in-game and added automatically, it was free content for all users.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Max Wilco posted:

Is there anything I should know about the Revelations games?
The second one is very good and features Barry Burton as a playable character. The first one, not so much.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Cardiovorax posted:

The second one is very good and features Barry Burton as a playable character. The first one, not so much.

Should I get the Collector Pack with all the DLC then? There's a discount with the bundle, but I'm not sure if it's worth it. I don't know what the Raid Mode packs do.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Sep 18, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Max Wilco posted:

Should I get the Collector Pack with all the DLC then? There's a discount with the bundle, but I'm not sure if it's worth it. I don't know what the Raid Mode packs do.
Raid mode is basically a wave-based action-RPG mode, with loot, leveling, stats and skills, different character classes, etc. It depends on whether you think that would be interesting to you. Personally, I couldn't really get into it, but some people think it's the best part of the game.