Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

It's definitely not something I'd pick up on, but I guess I'm just not a super brain genius like Dominic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Congrats, you made this a slightly better strip.

Kind of wondering how many others could be improved by replacing the last panel with something like that now.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Jesus, this new strip is the worst of DD’s wandering-the-desert-to-die. Mookie has not grown at all as a writer. I think the only reason there isn’t as much stupid filler here at the start of DD is that Mookie probably had an idea of a few stories to tell before he started, and we’re only just getting to the end of them.

I will say, though, that if the next strip is just a close up of Snout’s journal which is an entirely blank page except for a small “WTF was that????” at the bottom, I’ll forgive him a lot

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Hi kids,

Now that last update was bad. This one is too. But I really think this one will clarify some of the intentions Mookie had with regard to the scene with Bumper and Luna. The nice thing about Mookie is that he always loves to tell and not show.

Chapter 10 Ecstacy and Evil [Part 7]

We start with Celesto coming back into frame from whereever, getting ready to kill Dominic

Here again we see Mookie's lack of theory of mind. The idea that Stunt needs to be blamed for Dominic's death, or that that would be a conclusion the authorities would jump to, is weird. Do they know who Stunt is? Do people recognize "his" knife? It's very contrived and unnecessary.

Stunt saves the day and also knows how to cure Luna

I'm a misogynist, not a rapist! - A though a normal author has for how people work

Dominic is assured mommy is here to help

Again , everybody knows everything, everyone is caught up.

So here it is, calling it out explicitly. The fact that Bumper is "Dark-Skinned" is super important to the description of the act. She was trying to frame this man, defined by skin colour, for rape. Mookie chooses to emphasize this again.

Lol, who even needs explanations. Mom's an archmage, she can do whatever she wants. Also the convention of Donovan wearing pink as a manly man, so-manly-I'm-not-insecure, its-really-a-show-meant-for-grownups-not-little-girls, is established here.

Szark is a goody now, his wanton hedonistic killing forgotten. Yes, punish that evil whore.The infernomance shows up.

Tension is maintained for one day.

And then haha, everything is fine. Again, Mookie is a failed actor so I find it suspicious that the super-cool bard/swordsman is praised for his acting. Donovan is another Mookinsert.

Amelia comes up with a pretty good escape plan

Turns out that Momeegan is not actually there. She's Skyping in. Also check out those legs in panel 2.

Despite this set up that sword doesn't seem to be magical or anything. He doesn't even actually use it against the infernomancee.

This is actually really important, and when you are reading it day to day it was easy to miss. Miranda's school being attacked is a major event that affects several later arcs, including being the origin narrative for Nimmel Feenix, another insufferably awful Mookie clone. When I was readin this back in the day, I literally could not figure out what this attack that everybody talked about was. Because that panel is all you get really.

Ooohh, big words Dadeegan. OK, here's where another terrible Mookie image appears

So Bumper strangles amelia to death. Again, emphasis on rape and "Dark-Skinned"

Oh look, a dead lady with her rear end in the air! The more famour panel where Szark makes a butt pun is later

Gratuitous violence against npcs. Including once again an almost nude woman with her titties prominantly centered

A sort of unexpected twist! Lots of meaningless talk from Karnak, ends up not going anywhere.

Again, literally an awful person. Nimmel is the worst

Mookie really though this was a clever twist. So much so that he spoiled it in Part 1. But it was all leading to this reveal by dominic. It turns out not to matter at all though!

So I'm just gonna post the next several strips in sequence without comment

Not only does this sequence have a reference to the Infernomancer being blind again, when he's clearly not, but also, you have all this epic magic action with Luna, and SHE STILL ISN'T THE ONE WHO BEATS THE INFERNOMANCER.

I know that it established that Miranda was preparing a banishing spell, but I don't think it would have been impossible to show Luna beating TIM and Miranda coming in to finally get rid of him. Instead, the Deegans must once again be the saviours of the day.

This turns out to be a terrible idea btw. In fact it directly leads to many more deaths. Also, it's ball made of smaller balls!

Anyway Spark is more useful than Luna

Time for some terrible comedy again! I love how jarringly out of place this joke seems given the bloody death that has just occured all over.

Excintlingly, the next part feature's DOminic first Psychonauts style entry into a mindscape!

So yeah, what stands out to me here is the degree to which Mookie emphasizes Bumper's ethinicity and the crime he was going to commit. I don't think it was a coincidence that he chose that image to draw for his anniversary. This was a central focus of the story, it was obviously a core element he thought up very early. And while I'm sure the fetish element was strong, I also think he did it because he's just stupid? This set up, "oh man an evil white lady is going to try and frame a black man for rape" is obviously in some way making a commentary on US society. I really feel like this is Mookie trying to do a "to kill a mockingbird" sort of idea. He just did it in the most stupid, creepy and offensive way possible.

Next time - the Butt Strip!

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Holy poo poo, the Infernomancer activated Mom's Trap Card

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
To Thrill a Mookiebean

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
What the hell is Amelia's outfit and hair in that last batch of panels?
Like Mookie can't draw anything, let alone sexy, but I at least can see her prior outfits as looking hot, if kinda trashy, if drawn by someone with talent. Like it's standard sexy villainess stuff.

But the hell is this? An apron with like a neck cape collar and a hat that her hair is kind of clipping over.
It's just a weird mess.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I think the thing that bothers me most about Tim is he can’t decide if he wants the eyeholes covered or not. He deliberately wears the blindfold for, one must assume, fashion reasons, but then he always rips it off himself mid scene. There has been no scene he has been in where he kept it on, and he’s always the one to take it off.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
You know how Piccolo takes off his weighted training clothes when poo poo gets real? Or how Hulk Hogan rips off his shirt when poo poo gets real?
I think it's supposed to be the stupid hell magic version of that.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

In all honesty, I do dig the whole thing with Miranda having a miniature galaxy appear within her cloak when she’s winding up to banish TIM.

Now that I think about it... Aside from screwing around with Bumper and Stunt (who don’t really count, since their usual purpose is to be jobbers to whoever they antagonize), Luna’s 0 for however many fights she’s been involved in by now, right? Despite Mookie implicitly presenting her as being Dominic’s equal in magic, in practice, she’s either been incapacitated before the fighting even broke out, had a minimal impact on deciding the course/outcome of a battle, or briefly made the situation worse (by unintentionally healing TIM with fire). She didn’t even get so much as dealing the decisive blow before Miranda finished off TIM just now. Yet we’re supposed to believe that she’s a capable and dangerous mage in her own right?

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!

A Good Writer: See, dear reader? There was never any tension in the first place! :smug:

Also pretty funny that Dominic and Celesto's second sight alerted them to the one death that would occur in Erossus, but not the schoolwide slaughter that went down offscreen. Amelia's convoluted rear end plan wouldn't even exist if Dominic never showed up, and Mookie seems to forget that Celesto only just met Amelia like...5 days ago. He's doggedly committed to Amelia's plan like they've been lovers for years.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Regalingualius posted:

In all honesty, I do dig the whole thing with Miranda having a miniature galaxy appear within her cloak when she’s winding up to banish TIM.

He probably stole it from somewhere. I saw it in the game Klonoa on the PS1.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Regalingualius posted:

It's cool, but it's not original. Just off hand, Marvel comics has Eternity who's whole body is patterned like that. And I believe Quasar's cape has at times had a starfield pattern to it like that too. I'd be shocked if Dr. Strange - especially in the 60s when it was psychedelic and they were first introducing characters like Eternity - didn't use that explicitly imagery at some point, as well.

Not that there's anything wrong with some derivative stuff here and there - good artists borrow, great artists steal (but they personalize what they steal and don't just regurgitate it as they found it) - but Mookie's obviously a special case.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

The Little Death posted:

Time for some terrible comedy again! I love how jarringly out of place this joke seems given the bloody death that has just occured all over.
I guess they were all gross sexhavers, so nobody Deegan-adjacent cares about them. :smith:

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
Morpheus in Sandman?

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

Another chapter of immediately undercut tension for everyone! Except all the people who were casually murdered, of course. I feel like even during the height of lolrandom murder this came out in, no other webcomic was so uncaring about it. Half of this party just got turned into hamburger and it might as well be taking place in an empty theater.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Mors Rattus posted:

I think the thing that bothers me most about Tim is he can’t decide if he wants the eyeholes covered or not. He deliberately wears the blindfold for, one must assume, fashion reasons, but then he always rips it off himself mid scene. There has been no scene he has been in where he kept it on, and he’s always the one to take it off.

A blindfold with big loving knives attached to go in his eye sockets.

That's definitely something a person who is regretting his deal and wants out would wear.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!

skeleton warrior posted:

I will say, though, that if the next strip is just a close up of Snout’s journal which is an entirely blank page except for a small “WTF was that????” at the bottom, I’ll forgive him a lot

What if he said that but with 100x the words?

Snout’s whole takeaway from that arc was that...he’s frustrated that he’s too dumb to realize what happened. And he’s almost literally writing directly to the audience at this point.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

he's also too dumb to remember anything he doesn't write down I guess

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?

Dabir posted:

he's also too dumb to remember anything he doesn't write down I guess

He's TNO from Planescape and needs a journal to maintain his entire identity.

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
Snout sits down to write "Boy, that arc sure was a waste of time, huh?" Yes Snout! Yes it was.

Mookie if you don't wanna be doing the comic anymore just start something else.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
You know, I kinda expected DD to be a slow burn, slowly adding the odious things people talk about, and it seemed like that was the direction it was going, but this arc certainly amped it up.

I was also thinking it wouldn't be awful for Snout to be baffled and confused by the whole thing and not know what to make of it, but I should have known that even if Mookie did go that direction, it'd be handled so poorly. I'm not sure why Snout thinks any of them could be alive either.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

catlord posted:

I was also thinking it wouldn't be awful for Snout to be baffled and confused by the whole thing and not know what to make of it, but I should have known that even if Mookie did go that direction, it'd be handled so poorly. I'm not sure why Snout thinks any of them could be alive either.

This means that one of them, or all of them, are alive and wil almost certainly pop up in the next strip.

Espcially because Mookie is doing 3pak strips now so he's chaining them together more than he used to. I bet vinedude gets up out of the rubble (which snout is still next to) and makes and oogie boogie face. Cliff Hanger!

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

FlocksOfMice posted:

Snout sits down to write "Boy, that arc sure was a waste of time, huh?" Yes Snout! Yes it was.

Mookie if you don't wanna be doing the comic anymore just start something else.

He wants to do the comic but painted himself into a corner cuz he got mad when someone said "hey man the ink witch comes off as kinda skeezy"

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

lol

Goddamn this guy is so bad at writing.

Riot Bus
Jan 8, 2020
Maybe they're all alive somewhere??

The mongrel just turned into dust, man. You watched it happen!

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!

The Little Death posted:

This means that one of them, or all of them, are alive and wil almost certainly pop up in the next strip.

Lol just like Snout knew the corpse man was alive and went out of his way to set up that flower scene. Or how Snout had no good reason to go in the basement in the first place. Where’s the appeal in a protagonist with no sense of self.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

I’m reminded of how 4kids would edit their dubs to remove any references to someone dying... even when it was pretty obvious.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
"Please, allow me to introduce my mother, the Sorcerer Supreme."

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?

Skypie posted:

He wants to do the comic but painted himself into a corner cuz he got mad when someone said "hey man the ink witch comes off as kinda skeezy"

This is what kills me. He has no artistic conviction, even if it'd be misguided in this circumstance. He instantly folds and changes his entire story so people don't hurt his feelings.

And the thing is, it'd be okay to change course (if in a more creative way than... this) if he thought, "Oh, wow, I didn't see it like that. I'm sorry." Then he'd have some introspection on his thought process and beliefs. But no, he does it because he doesn't wanna get called out, while also being unwilling to change anything about himself that's getting called out.

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls

Marin Karin posted:

He's TNO from Planescape and needs a journal to maintain his entire identity.

Fells like I've been strained through someone's bowels.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

TheHan posted:

What if he said that but with 100x the words?

Snout’s whole takeaway from that arc was that...he’s frustrated that he’s too dumb to realize what happened. And he’s almost literally writing directly to the audience at this point.

"So just to be clear, that is something we'll never know. You're not gonna find out later."

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3
How did Celesto not see Stunt coming? He's a seer who's better than Dominic. Furthermore, why did Stunt, the psychotic throat-slitter, not cdg Celesto after knocking him out after the bad stuff Celesto's done, or at least try since Celesto has plot armor?

How does Miranda know about Amelia's plan? She's not a seer.

If Amelia wanted Luna raped and killed by mind controlled Bumper, why wasn't the room guarded?

Much like the rock concert arc, why call out the color of Dononvan's shirt in a black and white strip?

Tim just put on gloves, why did they give him the ability to blast his hands off like Scorpion?

If Miranda is an illusion, how is there a bomb in her heart?

If Amelia is a mage, why was she unable to defend herself from Bumper when he strangled her to death?

If Miranda's illusion survives having its heart ripped out, why was it destroyed after another attack?

If Tim heard Miranda brag about how she was just an image, why would he bother attacking again? Is it common knowledge images can survive 1 attack just fine but not 2?

How could Karnak rely on Tim specifically fisting Szark's wound? What if he'd killed him by punching through his head or something? Furthermore, why would Tim bother going after Szark at all?

Why does Miranda refer to her college students as children?

Terrible terrible arc. Thanks for the update.

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
How many times have they used the "it was just an illusion" trick? Four? Five?

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!

Invisible Clergy posted:

How does Miranda know about Amelia's plan? She's not a seer.

This one at least has an answer. Spark was supposed to have told Miranda what Amelia’s plan was, but Mookie forgot that Dominic didn’t tell Spark that part.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Invisible Clergy posted:

If Amelia is a mage, why was she unable to defend herself from Bumper when he strangled her to death?

I'm kind of okay with this one. She's just an enchantress from what I can recall, and Bumper gets her by surprise from behind. You might reasonably assume that sort of magic requires eye contact, and even if not, considering Bumper got her so quickly and had time to mentally prepare himself, I'd definitely buy that yeah, she's got nothing to defend with.

Also, while it's not a good explanation unlike above; f we want to use DnD conventions because Mookie probably thinks in those terms, lots of spell-like abilities (although not spells) especially mind-affecting ones tend to have a thing where once you make the Will save against them, you're immune to the same effect from teh same person for the next 24 hours.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Did I miss anyone?

VVV I tried to fit "Moustache Commander" but it wouldn't fit.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Sep 16, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

PoptartsNinja posted:

Did I miss anyone?

'Siegfried's Dad'
Excuse me, his name is Dance Commander, thank you.