Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

I don't think we need painfully slow scenes of backstory to tell us what we already knew, especially 5 episodes in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!
I love that Caleb / Space Ragnar is having insane hallucinations no matter the series. It's like the actor's trademark now.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Gonz posted:

Yeah, even in Interstellar, there were thousands of embryos and Anne Hathaway and a sentient Tetris piece were going to raise them alone.

12 people just isn’t enough genetic diversity to restart humanity. You would need hundreds or thousands, not dozens.

I think the show is intentionally going for a fantastical/surreal setting. It's not trying to be realistic. If it were, necromancers would be predator drones launching ASM missiles from high above instead of the awesome screaming insanity that we got.

IMO with only 6 embryos and two androids they have much more room for interesting story telling.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
hmm what happens when a necro screams at another necro?

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible
I like that in the last two episodes Mother has worn the gold-cornea eye she took from the female android because she thinks it's pretty :unsmith:

also it was cool as poo poo when medic atheist lady angrily threw her tin cup on the ground and it landed perfectly upright like some water bottle challenge

LentThem fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Sep 15, 2020

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Gonz posted:

12 people just isn’t enough genetic diversity to restart humanity. You would need hundreds or thousands, not dozens.

Yeah, I'm glad I'm not alone in this criticism. Evolutionary scientists have explored the logistics of this thought, and I'm pretty sure they landed on a bare minimum of ~100 people and realistically over 1000 to produce a sufficiently diverse population over several generations. 12 people is just not enough. You'd wind up with severe inbreeding problems very quickly.

That said, I totally get the argument that this isn't a show that cares about realism or logistics. The extreme austerity of the setting and the simplicity of its story do read more as myth, or like something pulled out of the Old Testament. I'm in for the ride, since that's an uncommon approach to sci-fi, but it's far less My poo poo than something like The Expanse so I'll see how long I'm invested. Father is my favorite character, though. He's really the TARS of this setting, to bring 'sentient LEGO brick' back into it.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Umm tell that to Noah.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I think they could probably handwave the genetics stuff away by having special designer embryos that don't carry regressive genes or something perhaps? I dunno, not a geneticist.. Future science magic, basically.

Plus having only 2 androids to raise that many kids would be basically impossible as they are 1 for 6 already

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
You’d think they would have put the special gene campion had into all of them so they could eat space potatoes.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Shaocaholica posted:

Umm tell that to Noah.

Funny that, because I've likened this show to a sci-fi version of the Darren Aronofsky Noah.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Shaocaholica posted:

You’d think they would have put the special gene campion had into all of them so they could eat space potatoes.

Was it a mutation that caused him to be able to eat those? I must have missed that. I thought it was maybe mother’s android tears from his birth or something.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I keep hearing about the expanse. Is it good should I watch it

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

yes and yes

Some of the Sheep
May 25, 2005
POSSIBLY IT WOULD BE SIMPLER IF I ASKED FOR A LIST OF THE HARMLESS CREATURES OF THE AFORESAID CONTINENT?
Funny the mention of The Expanse as the intro graphics for this show are uncannily similar.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

its about a thousand times better than this show

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible
any show where you accelerate and decelerate at a constant rate to maintain comfortable gravity during space travel is a must-watch

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

It could very reasonably be considered the best science fiction show of the past decade.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I will watch it. Thank ye goons

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Ersatz posted:

It could very reasonably be considered the best science fiction show of the past decade.

It’s also got Thomas Jane with Skrillex hair!

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Were they not supposed to have more embryos, but the kids destroyed them by accident? Did I misinterpret that scene?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Hakkesshu posted:

Were they not supposed to have more embryos, but the kids destroyed them by accident? Did I misinterpret that scene?

They had a bunch in the shuttle craft.

They could only save twelve embryos from the craft before it fell out of reach.

Then raised the first six as gen one.

Two of the other kids from gen one killed the remaining six embryos, and Campion took the blame. (That's the scene you're talking about).

Then those kids also died. Whoops.

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

I sat down tonight and watched episodes 1-5, and I’m fully on board for this strange aesthetic of space crusaders versus desperate mad max atheists and Ridley Scott androids.

I uh increasingly am dreading Mother just pulping all of the Mithraists when they attack or approach the camp or whatever— I’d hope Father prevails in making the 2 sides talk, and we get a strange funhouse mirror version of that part of BSG where the humans and the Cylons are living together on a crappy planet.

The date we get for everybody leaving the dying Earth is 2145 or something, right? Does ftl relativity make the 13 subjective years the Mithraists traveled longer? Would that allow for the The Descent monsters to be humans a few generations removed from a botched genetic engineering attempt from a previous wave of colonization, and our mysterious hooded friend to be.... an older android (maybe the one interfacing with Something to make everyone see Tally?), or a not-Morlock’d old colonist?

The trouble with the Tally figure is that Paul saw it in the woods right before he lost his mouse. When would he have been exposed to some ghost in the machine thing? Our secret atheist had a buzzer in his ear. Maybe there’s an audio cue or something to tip off “hey this is an AI induced hallucination”?

The desert temple thing casually combusting Ambrose and then being warm to the touch again is weird.

I’m gonna settle that the answer to all this is “an AI did it” for now

wolfs fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Sep 16, 2020

baalaagaa
Apr 9, 2004

priznat posted:

Was it a mutation that caused him to be able to eat those? I must have missed that. I thought it was maybe mother’s android tears from his birth or something.

He's the prophesied space Jesus.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

veni veni veni posted:

I hope he just gets to be their canary for the rest of the series and never gets to take the helmet off, then just gets vaporized in the last episode.

giving chekov's sun gun to the mentally unstable dude with a pasta pot for a hat and not having him blow poo poo up with it would just be poor writing, imho.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

I’m also banking on the aliens being evolved humans. I’m also not discrediting a simulation in a simulation theory.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

I picked up HBO Max just to check out this show and the space paladins seem cool.

I'll watch Ragnar try to find farmable land in any show. Is there any inkling on how many seasons this might be? Or I suppose it's up to how the metrics of this season pan out..

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

i mean unless they roll out “woahza here’s an actual underground civilization of Morlocks that domesticated these giant vipers!!!!!” as the end of this season i’d hope just 1 or 2 was fine to tell a good story

unless HBO has GOT / BSG level ambitions for a scifi show which would be surprising

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah I just really want a good story out of this. After burning out on the 3 season decline of Westworld, I’d much rather have a quality story with kinda janky visuals than the other way around.

The good news is RBW already has the janky visuals part down, now it just needs to follow these first eps up with strong finishers!

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
This show is ok but since it focuses on childcare it kinda bothers me how annoying I find all the child characters with the exception of Tempest, who is more of an adult. Campion especially, jeez.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The eldest boy bothers me the most. For a character portrayed as a giant wuss he sure does have opinions on what everyone else but him should be doing.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

The eldest boy bothers me the most. For a character portrayed as a giant wuss he sure does have opinions on what everyone else but him should be doing.

That's the point

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I get it but it bugs me! :mad:

Make him either do something to change that or give him his comeuppance

His uppance needs to come!

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
The rear end in a top hat kid is clearly destined to die, Champion bothers me more because he is supposed to be like the Chosen one or something. Either androids or religion, he is going to say "father" a lot, and I am convinced he has the worst accent for that word.

The androids are boss though. Mother basically carries the show, she is *always* one of the most terrifying protagonists I have ever seen (eyes or not) and no matter what she does I am at the edge of my seat, the whole Necromancer thing is frightening and the actress is great. I am kinda interested in the lore but it has to be top notch to explain how things got this hosed up, and I don't think that's Scott's forte. Right now I am at the mystery stage and it is just all interesting but BSG has kinda taught me that mixing religion and sci-fi will end in tears if you don't have a watertight plan (and despite what they claimed, loving nobody in or involved with the show had a plan).

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Sep 16, 2020

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

LentThem posted:

any show where you accelerate and decelerate at a constant rate to maintain comfortable gravity during space travel is a must-watch

That's not the primary reason, it's the most efficient way to safely go as fast as possible between two points!

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I am unimpressed with the weapon design. They made mother/necro so utterly bonkers but kept everything else still in the 19th century gunpowder. Not even minority report wind up guns. I'm not looking for phasers but at least something more creative to match the rest of the production design.

GloriousDemon
May 1, 2009
Campion isn't the chosen boy, he's going to be the religions false prophet Satan allegory. Paul is the orphaned child messiah. Campion probably put those kids up to playing with the "snowballs".

Cuddly Tumblemumps
Aug 23, 2013

Postmodernity means the exhilarating freedom to pursue anything, yet mind-boggling uncertainty as to what is worth pursuing and in the name of what one should pursue it.

DarkCrawler posted:

The rear end in a top hat kid is clearly destined to die, Champion bothers me more because he is supposed to be like the Chosen one or something. Either androids or religion, he is going to say "father" a lot, and I am convinced he has the worst accent for that word.

Doesn't Paul also fulfill the being an orphan criteria for the prophecy? Space Ragnar's kid?
Paul and Campion are being set up for a Cain/Abel, Jacob/Esau dynamic.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Cuddly Tumblemumps posted:

Paul and Campion are being set up for a Cain/Abel, Jacob/Esau dynamic.

It's called Raised By Wolves for a reason. Quite blunt really.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romulus_and_Remus

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Idk how they ever even came close to losing a war when you have an army of necromancer androids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Necros seem pretty easy to defeat if you can nerf them with just head gear and bigger guns. Like what's a necro got on a modern tank?