Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Seamonster posted:

ehhhh no 5000 series for DDR5? booo

I have an incredibly hard time believing that AMD of all people would pass up a chance to use the 5000 series for a 5nm CPU that will use socket AM5 and introduce support for DDR5 and PCI-E 5 just to make their naming scheme slightly less confusing.

Edit: I'd be more inclined to believe they'll skip "Zen 4" or use it for what is presumably the Zen 3 refresh in Warhol than they'll use Ryzen 5000 for Zen 3.

Theris fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Sep 10, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Theris posted:

I have an incredibly hard time believing that AMD of all people would pass up a chance to use the 5000 series for a 5nm CPU that will use socket AM5 and introduce support for DDR5 and PCI-E 5 just to make their naming scheme slightly less confusing.

Edit: I'd be more inclined to believe they'll skip "Zen 4" or use it for what is presumably the Zen 3 refresh in Warhol than they'll use Ryzen 5000 for Zen 3.

I think they already screwed up by having Zen+ be the Ryzen 2000 series, then compounded the error by having the Ryzen 4000 series be Zen 2 plus newer iGPU.

At this point I think their only hope is to go to an entirely emoji-based naming structure.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

The Ryzen R:barf:::smith::colbert::black101:💩

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Ryzen Tiger's Eye

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
Ryzen Up Back On The Street

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

+

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

Name them "Competitor" just to have some fun with the Intel marketing slide deck guys.

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

SO DEMANDING posted:

DOUBLE oh poo poo, I found something even more hosed up (and maybe what I was originally thinking of) ECS made an LGA775 board that had a daughterboard you could put a 939 CPU in :psyboom:
https://www.ecs.com.tw/ECSWebSite/Product/Product_Overview/EN/Motherboard/PF88 Extreme Hybrid -LL-V1-DO-1-RR-/Socket 775 -LL-Intel-RR-
https://hexus.net/tech/reviews/mainboard/1181-ecs-pf88-extreme-hybrid-mainboard/

Featuring ULi and SiS chipsets, respectively :barf:

I had one of these with the daughtercard, and it worked great for me, but my buddy I gave it to later hated it and told me about the day he happily dropped it in a landfill.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Shlomo Palestein posted:

I had one of these with the daughtercard, and it worked great for me, but my buddy I gave it to later hated it and told me about the day he happily dropped it in a landfill.

Did he say which one? I'm gonna go dig it out and throw it through his living room window, that's incredible hardware.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Having some random reboot issues (no BSOD just cuts to BIOS, it's set to power loss stay off so something is crashing).

Was happening pretty consistently at the 4-5 minute mark until I overvolted the NB/ SoC, it's currently about 22-25 minutes stable at 1.2125v which seems rather high (stock is 1.0v isn't it?) Doesn't matter what I'm doing it'll do this even in BIOS if I sit in it.

Thermals and voltages all will look normal before the crash in HWinfo in windows, and in BIOS.

I'm leaning towards my motherboard is hosed up and to RMA it, but want to sanity check before opening an RMA. I've tested with known goods for everything but another AM4 CPU.

3700x B450 Tomahawk RX 5700.

This system is over a year old, everything was purchased the day the 3700x came out except the 5700 which was the day that came out.

Everything is currently running stock except NB / SoC including my RAM at a slow 2133 (I've had it running up at 3800 / 3666 mostly). I haven't had a failed Motherboard or CPU before so really could this be the CPU, or is this the motherboard?

I'd also like to try a different BIOS revision but MSI's downloads are all down (again).

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

pixaal posted:

Having some random reboot issues (no BSOD just cuts to BIOS, it's set to power loss stay off so something is crashing).

a) Done a hard cmos reset of the bios?

b) Tried just one ram stick at a time to see if the ram might be at fault? Overvolting the SoC is also the memory controller.

c) If you have a spare PSU or can borrow one from someone, I'd try that before RMAing component by component until you hit the broken one. Mystery hard reset can be a PSU thing even when you have the board set to stay off on power loss, because what's happening isn't really a power loss. The PSU may be fine, but it's easy to swap them out to test.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

I tried 1 stick of RAM at a time with each of the 4 and my old psu. Only thing I can't check is mn and cpu. I really shouldn't have to gently caress with voltages to get this to boot, hwinfo says I'm getting the voltages I request.

It's an infuriating problem due to the wait for the crash.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

pixaal posted:

I tried 1 stick of RAM at a time with each of the 4 and my old psu. Only thing I can't check is mn and cpu. I really shouldn't have to gently caress with voltages to get this to boot, hwinfo says I'm getting the voltages I request.

It's an infuriating problem due to the wait for the crash.

yeah I'd RMA the mobo then, just on the balance of probability that mobos fail more often than CPUs.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

SO DEMANDING posted:

I have vague memories of some grody thing that was socket 754, but with a monstrous daughterboard you could put 939 cpu in. Possibly had to move your memory to the daughtercard as well.

Oh poo poo, and in trying to find that board I found this beauty from, guess who, Asrock: https://www.asrock.com/mb/ULi/K8 Combo-Z/

DOUBLE oh poo poo, I found something even more hosed up (and maybe what I was originally thinking of) ECS made an LGA775 board that had a daughterboard you could put a 939 CPU in :psyboom:
https://www.ecs.com.tw/ECSWebSite/Product/Product_Overview/EN/Motherboard/PF88 Extreme Hybrid -LL-V1-DO-1-RR-/Socket 775 -LL-Intel-RR-
https://hexus.net/tech/reviews/mainboard/1181-ecs-pf88-extreme-hybrid-mainboard/

Featuring ULi and SiS chipsets, respectively :barf:

aaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

edit for some content; my Threadripper rackmount rig is back online and folding now that its not 90*F outside every day (rack lives in a non-conditioned room off the garage) need to figure out why I can see the GPUs and the driver seems to as well but F@H won't play with them. Luckily I have the week off.

Crunchy Black fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Sep 14, 2020

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
I noticed yesterday that DDR4 prices had seriously dropped, so ordered an extra pair of sticks at half the price I paid for the original. Plus somehow my cheap 5 day delivery got delivered next-day. So now my 1700/B350 build is running 32GB. Considering when I first built it I had a lot of issues with memory training and failed boots, I was expecting some sort of fiddling required when going fully populated. But it just booted straight up and carried on without a hint of trouble.

I haven't stress tested it yet, so I've probably just jinxed myself.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Have you updated your BIOS since you built? RAM training has improved pretty significantly.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
I upgraded the bios quite a few times in the first couple of years and that did more of less get rid of the issues. But there was still voice in the back of the brain saying 'trouble ahead'. Mostly I wanted it so I could run some VMs without them getting in the way of my usual stuff.

When I finally upgrade my Linux PC, 64GB might even be on the cards. Which seems crazy.

Pablo Bluth fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Sep 14, 2020

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

I wanted to go with 64GB of my 3700x, went with 32GB (which I had on my 2500k). It was just way too expensive and at the time there wasn't anything other than 3200CL18 for 16GB sticks in stock. I ended up spending less on my 3600CL17.

It really is not hard to use tons of RAM especially if you get into multi boxing an android game using emulators or an MMO.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

pixaal posted:

I wanted to go with 64GB of my 3700x, went with 32GB (which I had on my 2500k). It was just way too expensive and at the time there wasn't anything other than 3200CL18 for 16GB sticks in stock. I ended up spending less on my 3600CL17.

It really is not hard to use tons of RAM especially if you get into multi boxing an android game using emulators or an MMO.

I just like being one step ahead of what the conventional wisdom says a build should have. When 8GB was considered what a gaming build should have I went with 16GB, and on my build from this year I went with 32GB. It is sometimes weird to think I currently have more RAM space available than the size of hard drives I used not that long ago.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I just like being one step ahead of what the conventional wisdom says a build should have. When 8GB was considered what a gaming build should have I went with 16GB, and on my build from this year I went with 32GB. It is sometimes weird to think I currently have more RAM space available than the size of hard drives I used not that long ago.

I have a server at work with 512GB of RAM (not that impressive) if you want to think about how that's as much space as most harddrives being shipped since everything seems to come with a 500GB SSD now.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
The thing that still impresses me the most happens to be the humble microSD card. Goddamn there's so much packed in to a tiny space. You can get 1TB ones now!
Young me with a 245MB HDD and a stack of floppies would have been utterly blown away

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

HalloKitty posted:

The thing that still impresses me the most happens to be the humble microSD card. Goddamn there's so much packed in to a tiny space. You can get 1TB ones now!
Young me with a 245MB HDD and a stack of floppies would have been utterly blown away

I remember my dad stretching to buy the Macintosh Classic with the 40mb hard drive option, which (along with 2x the RAM) increased the price of the thing by 50%

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

pixaal posted:

I have a server at work with 512GB of RAM (not that impressive) if you want to think about how that's as much space as most harddrives being shipped since everything seems to come with a 500GB SSD now.

I suppose we've always maintained those... proportions?

Back when consumer PCs shipped with 16-32MB of RAM and a 2GB hard drive, a big, expensive server might have had about 2GB of RAM.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I remember my dad stretching to buy the Macintosh Classic with the 40mb hard drive option, which (along with 2x the RAM) increased the price of the thing by 50%

Plus ça change, plus ça la même chose.

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

My dad bought a 1 meg RAM upgrade for our Laser 128EX (an Apple IIC clone) for $1000. He was told you could "write thousands of pages and not have to worry about it." He was not then nor is he now a writer. I blame the dude who conned him into it, but even he was just like, trying to eat or whatever.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

When I was 18 and headed to university I told my dad I needed a discreet GPU so I can do schoolwork and see the text on the screen more easily. CS 1.6 is a good game.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

HalloKitty posted:

My current CPU has more cache than my first computer had in hard drive capacity.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
My first hard drive was 10mb. I just checked and this page of this thread is about 5mb.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

K8.0 posted:

My first hard drive was 10mb. I just checked and this page of this thread is about 5mb.

what does a megabyte really buy you anyway?

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

K8.0 posted:

Was it one of those full height 5.25" drives that sounded like an aircraft engine spinning up? I had one of those too. Though it was in the mid-90s since I picked up an ancient PC cheap.

Edit: Reminded that it had an AMD 8088 CPU, from back when they were just an alternate source for Intel designs.

Killer robot fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Sep 16, 2020

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
4 GB

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

I think I have a 2GB fireball in a closet someplace that still works, screaming fast at 5400RPMs and sounds like a coffee maker. Okay it's like the coffee maker peculating but metallic.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I have a zenith 286 laptop sitting in my closet that has a 40mb hard drive.

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

bull3964 posted:

My first PC (not first computer) was originally built out with a pair of 40MB HDDs borrowed from a friend. I think they may have actually been MFM, not ATA/IDE. I learned a lot, and made many mistakes, getting that working under Slackware.

Once I had a handle on things, I bought myself a brand-spankin'-new 1.2GB HDD, which I knew I would never fill up.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

mdxi posted:

My first PC (not first computer) was originally built out with a pair of 40MB HDDs borrowed from a friend. I think they may have actually been MFM, not ATA/IDE. I learned a lot, and made many mistakes, getting that working under Slackware.

Once I had a handle on things, I bought myself a brand-spankin'-new 1.2GB HDD, which I knew I would never fill up.

A game is what 10-20MB? that's insane! That's big enough to copy one of your game discs to the computer and read from there instead!

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

bull3964 posted:

killer rig bro u will never run out of space

in all honesty tho that was probably sick on a 286 lol

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

In the novelization of Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan, two of the Genesis scientists had a video game that they could only run in the Genesis core memory because of its size.

That unheard of size that caused David Marcus to exclaim "the program that swallowed Saturn."

50mb.

Technically it was just written as "50 megs" so it could be some future measurement, but you know at the time that wasn't what they were going for.

Statutory Ape posted:

killer rig bro u will never run out of space

in all honesty tho that was probably sick on a 286 lol

I had the expansion chassis and managed to get a VGA card in the thing. 256 colors on an external monitor! Wing Commander was never the same.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

I don't think I've ever seen computers in fiction be anywhere near as powerful as they should be unless they don't really specify. They always forget to Moore's law which isn't perfect but c'mon it should get you a ballpark number and current computers shouldn't be able to catch up until the fictional date you are in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

bull3964 posted:

In the novelization of Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan, two of the Genesis scientists had a video game that they could only run in the Genesis core memory because of its size.

That unheard of size that caused David Marcus to exclaim "the program that swallowed Saturn."

50mb.

Technically it was just written as "50 megs" so it could be some future measurement, but you know at the time that wasn't what they were going for.

I had the expansion chassis and managed to get a VGA card in the thing. 256 colors on an external monitor! Wing Commander was never the same.

"Sir, theres a patch approaching on sensors"

"Activate the secondary buffer"

E: When is DDR5 theoretically going to be a thing i can put in my PC?