Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
When i'm flying the Grand Caravan and take off, then level out and retract the flaps the plane jerks up horribly and I basically have to hold down the trim button for the few seconds to even it out. Is that normal? I'm not touching the autopilot or anything. I noticed when I was doing some short OnAir trips that it happens like every time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Romes128 posted:

When i'm flying the Grand Caravan and take off, then level out and retract the flaps the plane jerks up horribly and I basically have to hold down the trim button for the few seconds to even it out. Is that normal? I'm not touching the autopilot or anything. I noticed when I was doing some short OnAir trips that it happens like every time.

Not sure about the Grand Caravan specifically, but planes usually dip *down* when retracting flaps due to the loss of lift. If you have any assists turned on in the options, they may be over-compensating for the loss in lift. In any case, retracting flaps is typically not something you wait for until you're flying flat and level, but something you do during your initial climb once you're at a safe altitude.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Sep 16, 2020

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Yep. Nearly all planes climb best with their flaps fully retracted (minimum drag), so you want to get them pulled in as quickly as you can once you're off the ground. The reason you wait is because that little bit of sink you get as they retract could be dangerous if you're still lower than the surrounding trees or buildings. Pull the flaps in as soon as you see a positive rate of climb and you're clear of all obstacles. If there's nothing in front of you, that's basically the moment you leave ground effect.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Yeah what they said, but a question: does the plane speed up really quickly when you raise the flaps? That could create a lot of lift. However, that would also be bonkers.

You're not accidentally going full dropped instead, by any chance?

SixPabst
Oct 24, 2006

The way I do it when I’m burning around in the dadvan - well, most aircraft - is fully retract flaps during the initial climb when I’m around 300ft AGL. That gives enough of a safety margin in case there are any weird behaviors but it’s been a pretty solid procedure for me.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

^^ this.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
How does KTTS, Shuttle Landing Facility, not have an ILS? :v: Actually, I think they had a microwave landing system in real life for the orbiter.

edit:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microwave_scanning_beam_landing_system

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
Thanks for the info about flaps. I was retracting them way too late. I'll try it out again later tonight.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Akion posted:

Is it really a Grand Caravan if it doesn't come in baby poo poo green with wood paneling?

HELL yes, how can i do this?

i love the 208. are there any payware cessna skymasters? that and the p-38 have always been my fav planes

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
What is the Standby Pulse on the CubCrafters X Cub supposed to do? While ON, it doesn't seem to do anything. While OFF it makes one of the landing lights blink. If landing lights are off it doesn't do anything. I wonder if it's modeled backwards. If you spawn in a cold and dark plane it's default set to on.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

It sounds like it sets the pulse mode to standby, i.e. disables it.

I guess the XCub uses its landing light as an anticollision light? Idk.

FORUMS USER 1135
Jan 14, 2004

Finally got MSFS installed tonight. The Zlin Shock Ultra is a lot of fun to mess around with a xbox controller. Also, I checked out Bora Bora and the bungalows are underwater. The satellite imagery goes underneath the water and there are no buildings.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

FORUMS USER 1135 posted:

Finally got MSFS installed tonight. The Zlin Shock Ultra is a lot of fun to mess around with a xbox controller. Also, I checked out Bora Bora and the bungalows are underwater. The satellite imagery goes underneath the water and there are no buildings.

They have the 2030 dataset there for some reason.

Supersonic
Mar 28, 2008

You have used 43 of 300 characters allowed.
Tortured By Flan

lobsterminator posted:

I'm sure it would have a big impact on loading times! I recall some benchmarks that a regular SSD and a high end M.2 drive showed almost no difference, but HDD vs SSD is probably noticeable. I bought a 1TB SSD because of MSFS.

Ended up picking up a 1TB 860 Evo on sale tonight at a local shop for way less than the price of 512GB M.2. I've removed the HDD altogether and the system is much snappier, especially with the loading. Thanks!

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

Sagebrush posted:

Yep. Nearly all planes climb best with their flaps fully retracted (minimum drag), so you want to get them pulled in as quickly as you can once you're off the ground. The reason you wait is because that little bit of sink you get as they retract could be dangerous if you're still lower than the surrounding trees or buildings. Pull the flaps in as soon as you see a positive rate of climb and you're clear of all obstacles. If there's nothing in front of you, that's basically the moment you leave ground effect.

General rule of thumb my instructor taught me was 300 feet agl pull up the flaps, 700 feet start your crosswind turn to course.

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

Romes128 posted:

Sounds like a bug. Loss of lift from retracting the flaps results in a nose down moment. You should try taking off and doing it again next time in the external view, there's a trim position indicator in the bottom right of the screen; that'll show you what it's doing.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

UnknownTarget posted:

General rule of thumb my instructor taught me was 300 feet agl pull up the flaps, 700 feet start your crosswind turn to course.

700 feet is because the AIM says to delay your crosswind turn until you are within 300 feet of pattern altitude, and in the absence of a specific number that is gonna be 1000' AGL for GA planes.

300 feet for the flaps is fine, but you will reach altitude marginally faster if you pull them in sooner. You're just trying to avoid the situation where that temporary loss of lift sinks you into some obstacles before you accelerate.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Sep 16, 2020

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
https://twitter.com/polygon/status/1305945739621736453?s=21

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

700 feet is because the AIM says to delay your crosswind turn until you are within 300 feet of pattern altitude, and in the absence of a specific number that is gonna be 1000' AGL for GA planes.

From my recent looking at airport runway charts and poo poo, it seems many airports in residential areas have special noise abatement procedures that dictate where you're supposed to turn to course. The airport nearest to me requires you to climb on the runway heading for 2 miles when departing north before turning to avoid residential areas, for example. This is of course something you don't have to care about in the sim at all unless you really want to for some reason. I do it whenever flying out of that airport anyway because I may as well, lol.

(note that these procedures have not stopped a particularly deranged group of NIMBYs from protesting this airport's existence)

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Anarcho-Commissar posted:

Next week's DCS mission sign-up is go!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/15Grz7yEp70GOFfjch3zD1mp2TpDStdapDdqNVTAOu6c/

It's a Combat Search And Rescue (CSAR) op.

An F-15E Strike Eagle has been downed in Iran. Pararescue is on the way, but they need the area to be clear. The SAM sites responsible for the incident are also being targeted, both to clear the way for the CSAR op and as retribution.

Still some slots open! As always, we'll try to accomodate you if you don't have any of the planes currently available. You will need the Persian Gulf map though.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

From my recent looking at airport runway charts and poo poo, it seems many airports in residential areas have special noise abatement procedures that dictate where you're supposed to turn to course. The airport nearest to me requires you to climb on the runway heading for 2 miles when departing north before turning to avoid residential areas, for example. This is of course something you don't have to care about in the sim at all unless you really want to for some reason. I do it whenever flying out of that airport anyway because I may as well, lol.

(note that these procedures have not stopped a particularly deranged group of NIMBYs from protesting this airport's existence)

Airport noise protesters are a really interesting study in single-issue psychosis. Most major airport noise complaint lines have 99% of their complaints from just a handful of individuals. Some people just get something in their head that “THIS AIRPORT IS EVIL” and make it their life goal to get it shut down. It’s very strange.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Does anyone in this thread use the academic version of prepar3d? I was trying to find a pic of the stupid watermark and can't find one anywhere

nevermind, found some. definitely not worth 140 bucks to get rid of

big nipples big life fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Sep 16, 2020

Sebastian Flyte
Jun 27, 2003

Golly

MrYenko posted:

Some people just get something in their head that “THIS AIRPORT IS EVIL” and make it their life goal to get it shut down. It’s very strange.

On the other hand, when I look at places like LAX in the sim where there's an incredible amount of private residences very close to one of the busiest airports in the world, I'm pretty surprised that so many can stand living there.

If it was Cities Skylines these people would go freakin' nuts living that close to the airport.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I live in a fairly affluent neighborhood in Seattle. We're about 15 statute miles from SeaTac airport, where a lot of the approaches turn to final.
Recently somebody was asking if we could do something about the airplane noise.

Like, what do you expect to happen? Have the planes teleport in? 🤪

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

MrYenko posted:

Airport noise protesters are a really interesting study in single-issue psychosis. Most major airport noise complaint lines have 99% of their complaints from just a handful of individuals. Some people just get something in their head that “THIS AIRPORT IS EVIL” and make it their life goal to get it shut down. It’s very strange.

Someone I knew from college is a Plane Karen now.

KBUR was always there lady...

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Charles posted:

That would be a pretty sweet solution if they could make it happen…

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Tippis posted:

That would be a pretty sweet solution if they could make it happen…

I wouldn't need a plane if I had that 😅

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Sebastian Flyte posted:

On the other hand, when I look at places like LAX in the sim where there's an incredible amount of private residences very close to one of the busiest airports in the world, I'm pretty surprised that so many can stand living there.

If it was Cities Skylines these people would go freakin' nuts living that close to the airport.

It's LA, not like people have much of a choice without spending massive amounts of money.

Appears the new patch just dropped https://www.flightsimulator.com/patch-version-1-8-3-0-is-now-available/

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Charles posted:

I live in a fairly affluent neighborhood in Seattle. We're about 15 statute miles from SeaTac airport, where a lot of the approaches turn to final.

I fly out of SEA all the time, and if the airport is landing/departing with a south flow, we usually get an early turn to the southeast (which starts just under 1000ft agl) to keep us from getting run down by a faster airplane departing after us.

Whatever the neighborhood we make that turn over went to court and actually got a judge to tell the FAA that they can't do the early turn any more, but it's apparently been settled (or just ignored) since the early turn came back after only being gone a short time.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Charles posted:

Make the planes fly over the poor people, obviously.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Ooooh MSFS update just dropped for me in Steam. 328MB. I've been taking a break until the patch so now I can fly again.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

True, many airports have noise abatement procedures that mean the recommended arrival and departure procedures are non-standard. My home airport actually has no standard departures available, because every one of them is modified either for airspace or noise requirements.

However, noise abatement procedures are always voluntary and you do not need to follow them if it would be unsafe. If the procedure says you have to make a sharp turn just after takeoff to avoid overflying some rich rear end in a top hat's house but it's a hot day and you're low and slow and doing so would risk a spin, gently caress him and keep your flight safe. You may get a whiny letter from the airport authority when the rear end in a top hat complains, but the FAA won't investigate it.

And yeah some people just get loving nuts about airplane noise. As noted above, nearly every airport receives the vast majority of its complaints from "a very small number of highly motivated individuals."

quote:

One individual in Monterey Park, California, near Los Angeles International Airport, made 589 calls in June; three callers made up 88% of complaints that month about LAX. At Ronald Reagan National Airport in Washington DC, two individuals at one residence made 78% of the complaints registered in 2015. In Denver, one person who lived 30 miles from the main airport made 73% of complaints in 2015. And in Seattle, one individual complains so frequently that her grievances are not transcribed in full but simply tallied at the end of the month. While airport employees provide summaries of other calls, the description of this particular individual’s calls is, “Same complaint over and over. Records a/c flying over.”

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

lobsterminator posted:

Ooooh MSFS update just dropped for me in Steam. 328MB. I've been taking a break until the patch so now I can fly again.

And 11GB in game update. Yay!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

skooma512 posted:

Someone I knew from college is a Plane Karen now.

KBUR was always there lady...

With how much people are still moving around the country, it makes me wonder how many NIMBY people are going to be upset about race tracks opening back up when this is all done. A race track is built in the middle of no where to avoid noise complaints. People build up neighborhoods near it so they can be close to drive their cars on it. Those people move and new people move in who never realized there was a race track nearby that makes vroom vroom race car sounds on the weekends.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

New patch is live!

https://www.flightsimulator.com/patch-version-1-8-3-0-is-now-available/

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

I lived under a final approach for a midsized airport for awhile, you get used to it quickly. My neighbor who liked to practice guitar and have loud sex with the windows open was much more of a distraction

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

Ugh why does it have to come out when I have a flight in progress...

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I've lived under approach paths or next to class 1 railroads basically my whole life. You get used to the noise.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
It's more annoying living next to cows who just start screaming for no reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

Also, someone asked awhile back who owns TBMs IRL. Mostly rich people who can’t quite afford a jet or who want something more rugged so they can fly into tiny airports etc.