Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Shrecknet posted:

Idle thought unrelated: how do you score a swinging strike three, dropped ball and throw to first?

K, PB 2-3?

Or just K

What if the catcher just tags him in the box?

K2 ?

it's just K 2-3, PBs (and WPs) don't get scored unless a runner reaches/advances

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Shrecknet posted:

Idle thought unrelated: how do you score a swinging strike three, dropped ball and throw to first?

K, PB 2-3?

Or just K

What if the catcher just tags him in the box?

K2 ?

I wouldn't bother scoring it differently if the batter doesn't run. For a 2-3 putout or reaching on a dropped strike, I'd do these, respectively (with PB instead of WP if it's a passed ball)

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Oh look, more last minute tinkering with significant impact. First round being 3 straight makes sense, but the DS ought to have 1 off day and the LCS really needs at least 1 off day.

https://twitter.com/mike_petriello/status/1305862430480912390

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

https://twitter.com/MLB_PR/status/1305926031723892738

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Schedule in more detail, though without off days it's pretty self explanatory. One day off between DS game 5 and CS game 1. Three days off between the WC round 3rd games and the DS, I guess because teams have to travel? Seems weird.

https://twitter.com/susanslusser/status/1305928008805441536?s=20

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Sep 15, 2020

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I'm guessing they're trying to pack it in as quickly as they can. Get the TV money, hand somebody a trophy, everyone goes home, done before we find out there is a covid+flu ultra virus.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Personally, I think pitchers should gallop around the mound on an imaginary horse if they give a batter a golden sombrero. Or gallop back to the dugout after striking out the side.

Showboat the gently caress out of clowning batters. That way, batters can do it too.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Atlanta follows the trend and is laying off 20+ in the scouting department.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://twitter.com/paingelswrld/status/1305651196594593792

LOL

chilihead
Nov 5, 2010

Is this real life, or is this fantasy?

2020 is freaking amazing.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/1305970876039528448

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

This season is so dumb

https://twitter.com/lindseyadler/status/1305965929893974017?s=21

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Can we all agree that the 2020 season and therefore the playoffs do not matter? This feels like a lost season and who cares who wins this facade of a season at the end.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
No

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

This playoffs will be more legit than '17/'18

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Traxis posted:

This playoffs will be more legit than '17/'18

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011

Kirios posted:

Can we all agree that the 2020 season and therefore the playoffs do not matter? This feels like a lost season and who cares who wins this facade of a season at the end.

The playoffs haven't really mattered since like 2014, honestly. Every year since has been full of cheaters and other assholes

e: gonna snip that phrase out because its rather distasteful in any context

Johnny Bravo fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Sep 15, 2020

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Kirios posted:

If the Marlins win the WS they will matter, otherwise no

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

FlamingLiberal posted:

If the Marlins win the WS they will matter, otherwise no

Okay fine I'll agree to this take.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Arguably a team that survives a 5-game DS without off days and a 7-game CS without off days will have better claim to depth and over all strength than teams who have been able to lean heavily on 2 starters in past postseasons

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

bawfuls posted:

Arguably a team that survives a 5-game DS without off days and a 7-game CS without off days will have better claim to depth and over all strength than teams who have been able to lean heavily on 2 starters in past postseasons

Yeah, it's a funny thing how the postseason makes starters more valuable than the regular season. When I did my all-time fantasy baseball draft, my team with Barry Bonds and Babe Ruth got swept in the World Series by the team with Sandy Koufax and Clayton Kershaw.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Couldn't you have had Ruth pitch

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Intruder posted:

Couldn't you have had Ruth pitch

I had 1927 Babe Ruth and his pitching skills were rusty. My rotation had Pedro Martinez, Doc Gooden, Walter Johnson, and Randy Johnson, but somehow they all did worse that World Series than my innings-eater Mamie Johnson.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Thank goodness my baseball team's game was only cancelled due to the massive, out of control wildfires that are blanketing the country with toxic smoke, and not an outbreak of the deadly global pandemic. Was worried there for a moment.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Kirios posted:

I want my M's to win this season more than any other because the only way I'll feel comfortable in a "Mariners World Series Champions" shirt is if it actually reads "Mariners World Series Champions**†"

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Can't take this one away Hernandez you dumb bitch

https://twitter.com/tlschwerz/status/1306036216299692038

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

IcePhoenix posted:

Can't take this one away Hernandez you dumb bitch

https://twitter.com/tlschwerz/status/1306036216299692038

gently caress YEAH

humpthewind
Jan 8, 2007

Noblest of all dogs is the hot-dog; it feeds the hand that bites it.
Position player pitching in New York right now

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
the cardinals are going to finish exactly .500, this i am certain of

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
So it turns out that Joe Maddon is actually worth like -20 wins? The Cubs dump him and otherwise do nothing, get better. The Angels get Rendon and Maddon, get worse.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Shiroc posted:

So it turns out that Joe Maddon is actually worth like -20 wins? The Cubs dump him and otherwise do nothing, get better. The Angels get Rendon and Maddon, get worse.

Turns out, Maddon was the only reason we didn't have a Cubs dynasty.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Kirios posted:

Turns out, Maddon was the only reason we didn't have a Cubs dynasty.

There’s probably a not-insignificant amount of truth to this

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Chamale posted:

I had 1927 Babe Ruth and his pitching skills were rusty. My rotation had Pedro Martinez, Doc Gooden, Walter Johnson, and Randy Johnson, but somehow they all did worse that World Series than my innings-eater Mamie Johnson.

I won the WS in my all-time league with Walter Johnson, Satchel Paige, Pedro Martinez, Mordecai Brown, and Felix Hernandez .

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

here's a weird baseball thing you've probably never seen: cleveland hits a late home run to tie the game against the cubs, but then blows it

(ok this time it was on two consecutive hit batsmen to get walked off)

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

R.D. Mangles posted:

here's a weird baseball thing you've probably never seen: cleveland hits a late home run to tie the game against the cubs, but then blows it

(ok this time it was on two consecutive hit batsmen to get walked off)

Walk off plunk is funny enough but that's great it was two in a row.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Big Mean Jerk posted:

There’s probably a not-insignificant amount of truth to this

They Rays seem to be truckin' on with their "Doing Weird poo poo and Winning Enough While Doing It" thing, so its seems that Joe might just be A Guy.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
welp https://twitter.com/HotlineJosh/status/1306076340173639680?s=20

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

lol gently caress that

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Manfred and the current group of owners are going to run the sport into the ground chasing every last possible penny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

gently caress no. Manfred needs to loving go. I'm sure the owners would love it even more if every team got into the playoffs, doesnt loving mean it should be implemented.

DurosKlav fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Sep 16, 2020