Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Mordja posted:

Cool, thanks. Those LG monitors are way more affordable than some of the other one's I'd been looking at. As for my card, I'm currently on a 1070 which is just starting to struggle maintaing 60FPS with some games in 1080p and I plan to do a full rebuild with a 3080/3080ti, probably sometime next year.
Following the pattern, the Super variant of the 30XX cards will likely be out by then and a hundred or so cheaper. Unless your computer is dying like mine did, plan around those cards. Don't subsidize the cheaper cards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

The sad Pepe emote is the perfect way to communicate my perennial sadness in a parsimonious way and you can pry it from my cold dead hands

Both Qanon Anonymous and Chapo has had an ep with the creators of Feels Good Man, a documentary about how the alt-right stole Pepe from a guy who by all accounts is a wonderful, talented dude (this is something I'm sure most people know by now, but the eps are very interesting), and I for one am for reclaiming the frog.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Black Griffon posted:

Both Qanon Anonymous and Chapo has had an ep with the creators of Feels Good Man, a documentary about how the alt-right stole Pepe from a guy who by all accounts is a wonderful, talented dude (this is something I'm sure most people know by now, but the eps are very interesting), and I for one am for reclaiming the frog.
:feelsgood:

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Black Griffon posted:

I for one am for reclaiming the frog.
:yeah:

Just to not let the alt-right have it, on basic principle of gently caress Them.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

No Wave posted:

Literally every stream on twitch is stuffed with pepe emotes. Even streams that like wore I'm with her shirts in 2016. On twitch pepe is the primary form of communication.

Yeah, you can tell if they're shitters through other means, pepe on Twitch/Discord is just punctuation at this point.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Not sure where else to ask this question. I've noticed a lot of games have discords and sometimes I join them to see what's goin on. In almost every one I go to though, everyones using Pepe emotes. Is this some sort of weird alt-right thing or am I just being paranoid?

much like the :discourse: hand symbol, it's poo poo that white supremacists have tried to appropriate but have not co-opted to the point that only nazis will use it. lots of normal non-horrible people still use pepe emotes/memes so yeah, it would be paranoid to suspect someone is a nazi solely because you saw pepe or the ok hand symbol. if they also said some right wing poo poo then that's different.

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

Baroness Kanan-Zelaya of the minor House of Carbon
If you see someone posting Pepe emotes in Discord, they willingly paid Discord money for the privilege to repost Pepe emotes from a server they joined dedicated to Pepe emotes. At a minimum, they are cowards failing to stop the spread of alt right iconography because they could be using any other emote or actually expressing an opinion; at most, they're alt right. It's not a good spectrum to be on.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I’d rather people use the funny frog for non white supremacist things than to immediately and forever cede it to terrorists

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
You should never cede ground to rightwingers in general, even if it's about stupid poo poo. It not only encourages them, it gets you used to ceding ground to the radical right. That's a bad and very dangerous habit to get into.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

only on model pepes are good

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

much like the :discourse: hand symbol, it's poo poo that white supremacists have tried to appropriate but have not co-opted to the point that only nazis will use it. lots of normal non-horrible people still use pepe emotes/memes so yeah, it would be paranoid to suspect someone is a nazi solely because you saw pepe or the ok hand symbol. if they also said some right wing poo poo then that's different.

It's also absurdly obvious when the alt-right uses Pepe/👌 because they don't even attempt to be subtle anymore.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

40 Proof Listerine posted:

If you see someone posting Pepe emotes in Discord, they willingly paid Discord money for the privilege to repost Pepe emotes from a server they joined dedicated to Pepe emotes. At a minimum, they are cowards failing to stop the spread of alt right iconography because they could be using any other emote or actually expressing an opinion; at most, they're alt right. It's not a good spectrum to be on.

You desperately need to log off, lmao goddamn.

Mordja fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Sep 16, 2020

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
First the nazis appropriated pepe, but I said nothing cause I don't care for pepe. Now I say nothing, cause the nazis appropriated everything

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
I agree that Nazis and trump supporters don't feel the need to hide and drop codes like National Treasure. If you really want to see the alignment of the room just see their reaction to Black Lives Matter :v:

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

let me tell you about a good spectrum to be on

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

the radio spectrum's pretty nice :shobon:

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

Cardiovorax posted:

Farscape was a pretty forgettable show, but Mass Effect does feel like it's more in-theme with it than with the obvious Star Trek comparison.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
Yeah that's a gif that has some real Mass Effect energy alright, I think that was one of the final crop of character classes in ME3 MP

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

That's a renegade interrupt if I've ever seen one.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Lmao I watched this episode today.

Extortionist
Aug 31, 2001

Leave the gun. Take the cannoli.
Obviously they're clearing the way for the revival of the other Origin they killed. Can't wait for the Wing Commander and Ultima reboots!

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

CRUSADER: NO REGRET

ea: "we're renaming it the EA Desktop app"

CRUSADER: ONE REGRET

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Man, Jedi:FO is still kind of rough. I was getting some awful, inexplicable stutters until I turned on v-sync and even with that and the dynamic resolution on it still hitches a bit. Plus the load times are really long, and those two things aren't great for a game in the dielots genre. Still, liking what I've played, definitely a sort of downmarket Sekiro, which I could go for.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

BPM: Bullets Per Minute is out. Roguelite Rhythm Based FPS that is kicking my rear end. Anyone got any tips? Only made it out of the first area once so far..

caldrax
Jan 21, 2001

i learned it from watching you
Marc Maron on his recent podcast was talking to Matt Furie, the originator of the Pepe character, and there was a very sad moment where he admitted that he doesn't really do art anymore because of the kind of weight of covid and all this poo poo, the appropriation included. It made me depressed to hear. And I found it relatable, as my own creativity has suffered under covid times.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

rip to my goon pinball friend :(

Lightningproof
Feb 23, 2011

Smh at the lack of team spirit in the Steam thread.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Cardiovorax posted:

I agree with that ADL page that the majority of uses is just people who aren't in touch with the worse part of the internet and who have just kept using it as they always have because, well, funny frog. Feels good, man. Unless it's being used in a racist context, I wouldn't assume it actually tells you anything.

The Hong Kong democracy protesters were using the frog, which lead to the tankie/CCP-stan crowd going "aha clearly this proves they are neo-nazis!!!"

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Awesome! posted:

rip to my goon pinball friend :(

Sucks for them. Saw the same and they pleaded with me to vote.

In other news, The Turing Test was a pretty fun game. The standard puzzles never got to crazy, to the benefit and detriment of the later game. You start getting a few new tricks after chapter 4 but there's never a natural growth to more and more complex puzzles everything is pretty easily solved in 5 minutes. Some of them were easy enough to break via exploiting game mechanics that most YT solutions are less then 2 minutes even for the "long" ones.

The story is kind of there; it wants to have all this meaning about the power of AI, the ability to truly think/feel, and the human/AI conflict and it stays interesting for most of it not really able to maintain the hype all the way through.

The puzzle mechanics are based around a gun, the ability to absorb/deploy energy balls to power outlets, and a few other things. There's nothing more complicated then setting up a series of various energy balls in the right order so the automated patterns operate so that you can proceed. The special rooms are either trivial or insanely impossible but those "special" mechanics are never added to the regular puzzles.

I'm pretty sure I got the game in a bundle or something. It was a nice brain exercise lasting 4-5 hours and I got the dopamine rush when I was able to figure out a somewhat tricky puzzle all on my own.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

OP should add a voting contest poll

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Cardiovorax posted:

:yeah:

Just to not let the alt-right have it, on basic principle of gently caress Them.

I'm thinkin next we should take back the swastika. Its hosed up that we let them have it for so long

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The swastika has appeared in human geometric drawings for thousands of years and is still culturally significant to many eastern cultures, so it is pretty hosed up that some morons from the last century ruined it. Even moreso than Pepe the Frog, some might argue.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

C.M. Kruger posted:

The Hong Kong democracy protesters were using the frog, which lead to the tankie/CCP-stan crowd going "aha clearly this proves they are neo-nazis!!!"

Yeah, I remember that. Suddenly the "language is descriptive not prescriptive" guys were all up in arms and screeching at the protesters for using the imagery.

Lightningproof
Feb 23, 2011

Mordja posted:

Yeah, I remember that. Suddenly the "language is descriptive not prescriptive" guys were all up in arms and screeching at the protesters for using the imagery.

These seem like two fairly unrelated opinions to treat as mutually exclusive but alright.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Lightningproof posted:

These seem like two fairly unrelated opinions to treat as mutually exclusive but alright.

No? You can't claim that "all words/symbols evolve depending on how people use them except for the specific ones I don't like and everyone using a pepe is definitely Nazi." It's hypocritical and something I saw flying around during the Hong Kong protests among the more Mao-adjacent parts of the internet

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus
I'm total poo poo at roguelikes, roguelites, and thus BPM: Bullets Per Minute, but hot drat is it fun. :rock:

Lightningproof
Feb 23, 2011

Mordja posted:

No? You can't claim that "all words/symbols evolve depending on how people use them except for the specific ones I don't like and everyone using a pepe is definitely Nazi." It's hypocritical and something I saw flying around during the Hong Kong protests among the more Mao-adjacent parts of the internet

"It's okay to use literally as an intensifier" and "Symbols have a political history and connotations which contextualise and define them" are in fact not contradictory.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Lightningproof posted:

"It's okay to use literally as an intensifier" and "Symbols have a political history and connotations which contextualise and define them" are in fact not contradictory.

idk what the technical terminology for it would be but it is pretty funny for the same people to go "It's okay for me to use this slur because historical context words evolve it's just a meme" and "under no circumstances can people post pepe the frog"

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Lightningproof posted:

The alt-right connotations are purely American, and as previous posters have illustrated, even then most people on Twitch and Discord stll use Pepe memes without malice. Applying said connotations to a completely different political movement on the other side of the world is provincial at best, deranged at worst.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightningproof
Feb 23, 2011

Sure I don't really give a poo poo about HK protesters using Pepe or whatever I just thought the post I quoted was an incredibly weak and nonsensical attempt to score an own on some imagined band of tankie opponents. :shrug: