Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

devmd01 posted:

Holy crap, just got a demo of the new Group Policy analytics in Intune that rolled out for everyone this weekend, from the guy that’s been working on it with MS for the last 3 years.

Export all your GPOs, upload them into the tool, and it will tell you what CSPs you need to apply, which ones can’t, etc. Soooo much better than an mmat report that may not even capture everything. Where the hell was this a year ago when we were rolling out intune for workstation management?

Super glad I have been putting this off for the past couple of weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

The last version of my resume is dated 2011... A buddy referred me to a possibly job opportunity and for the first time in 16 years I'm thinking about changing companies on my own volition (been through 3 acquisitions so far). I should have kept a running list of accomplishments over the years, cause I barely remember last month much less 6 months or 2 years ago.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
God i am loving sick of interviewing.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Tetramin posted:

God i am loving sick of interviewing.

Thread title.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
In an email thread, I had an engineer say this.

quote:

From an OS level perspective, the old machine was built on an out of the box Linux distribution. The new host was fully optimize at the Kernel level for high loads an network throughput. Nonetheless, the bulk of the performance solely relies on the applications ability to use those resources. If anyone wants to get on a teams share, I can show what those optimizations consist of, as I still have that host defined in Foreman.

My bullshit meter is going off like crazy. Any linux nerd out there able to tell me what kind of bullshit we are being fed here?

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

“I ran babbys first sysctls”

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Sickening posted:

In an email thread, I had an engineer say this.

My bullshit meter is going off like crazy. Any linux nerd out there able to tell me what kind of bullshit we are being fed here?

Unless you are doing some kind of extreme optimization for some specific process or are dealing with some custom hardware that you need to build your own support for (like embedded devices), this just sounds like someone is making a headache for someone else in the future because they want to.

If they're just turning poo poo off and recompiling a kernel, it's probably dumb and pointless since in any decent modern distribution those components are all modular anyways. Standard poo poo where possible always to make maintenance easier.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

There are a lot of tunables that don’t hold up at unusual rates, latencies, number of clients etc. but at the rates you mentioned earlier, lol.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
We do that kind of customization but our applications can saturate 4x 40Gbs lines with live ticker data. I looked through your posts and you mentioned around 5Mbs correct? From what you posted it sounds like someone is questioning why throughput is so low. It's more often than not the application being inefficient with the resources available unless you're running everything on a Pi or something.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Unless you are doing some kind of extreme optimization for some specific process or are dealing with some custom hardware that you need to build your own support for (like embedded devices), this just sounds like someone is making a headache for someone else in the future because they want to.

If they're just turning poo poo off and recompiling a kernel, it's probably dumb and pointless since in any decent modern distribution those components are all modular anyways. Standard poo poo where possible always to make maintenance easier.

PCjr sidecar posted:

“I ran babbys first sysctls”

PCjr sidecar posted:

There are a lot of tunables that don’t hold up at unusual rates, latencies, number of clients etc. but at the rates you mentioned earlier, lol.

Woof Blitzer posted:

We do that kind of customization but our applications can saturate 4x 40Gbs lines with live ticker data. I looked through your posts and you mentioned around 5Mbs correct? From what you posted it sounds like someone is questioning why throughput is so low. It's more often than not the application being inefficient with the resources available unless you're running everything on a Pi or something.

So umm... this is it? I .... ugh.... what?

quote:

#redacted Kernel Defaults
kernel.shmmax = 25113055232
kernel.shmall = 6131117
kernel.sem = 512 32000 100 512

# help fight syn floods
net.ipv4.tcp_max_syn_backlog=4096
net.ipv4.tcp_keepalive_intvl=30

# send TCP keepalives every 5mins instead of the default 2hrs
net.ipv4.tcp_keepalive_time=300

net.core.rmem_max = 16777216
net.core.wmem_max = 16777216
net.ipv4.ip_local_port_range = 1024 65535
net.core.netdev_max_backlog = 5000

# increase TCP max buffer size setable using setsockopt()
net.ipv4.tcp_rmem = 4096 87380 8388608
net.ipv4.tcp_wmem = 4096 87380 8388608
net.ipv4.tcp_tw_recycle = 1
net.ipv4.tcp_fin_timeout = 30
net.ipv4.tcp_tw_reuse = 0
net.ipv4.tcp_timestamps = 0
net.ipv4.tcp_window_scaling = 0
net.ipv4.tcp_base_mss = 1460

# Cache Control

vm.dirty_background_ratio = 5
vm.dirty_ratio = 10

# Swap Control
vm.swappiness=10
vm.vfs_cache_pressure=25

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Sickening posted:

post your application code

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Sickening posted:

some basic network optimization of dubious utility?
code:
net.ipv4.tcp_window_scaling = 0
this could be bad if this server is supposed to be accepting connections from clients with higher latency connections, ie anything over your average mid/high distance WAN link or anything coming from the internet. throughput is gonna suck if window scaling is off
code:
net.ipv4.tcp_tw_recycle = 1
this shouldn't be enabled on a server and can wreak havoc with load balancers and remote users behind NATs

i'm guessing someone is trying to fix an issue with an application that's not handling connections very well and are seeing tons of connections sticking in TIME_WAIT? instead of loving with this the app needs to be made to clean up after itself and close out connections.

if it's not that then idk why you'd do those tweaks.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Ah, the 500 mile email.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

That Linux mess reads like someone is trying to compensate for lovely app code.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I hate Salesforce email to case so god drat much. Every six months or so it finds some new and exciting way to break somewhere in the pipeline, and it blows.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If I were ever in charge of a support ticketing system I would let people submit the first request via email (reluctantly - a form can capture a lot more useful information), but everything after that point would have to be entered into the ticket system. Use a unique link if you want so people don't have to create yet another account, but I've got no interest in trying to parse emails once a chain builds up.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Sickening posted:

Yeah the kernel and vm settings are irrelevant.

Base mss is a little fucky but other than what’s been mentioned the rest is just ‘make the buffer bigger’ generic tuning.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
This is a great idea, and stay with me here: infinite window length

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Thanks Ants posted:

If I were ever in charge of a support ticketing system I would let people submit the first request via email (reluctantly - a form can capture a lot more useful information), but everything after that point would have to be entered into the ticket system. Use a unique link if you want so people don't have to create yet another account, but I've got no interest in trying to parse emails once a chain builds up.

Not an empty quote

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Talking to a recruiter about a job for H&R Block. The position is right up my alley, Azure + Terraform/Ansible but I can not get excited about the company.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
What's not to be excited about? You'll be working for a company that grossly overcharges to do peoples tax returns. :)

uniball
Oct 10, 2003

ands spends millions of dollars lobbying to prevent the creation of free online tax filing

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

uniball posted:

ands spends millions of dollars lobbying to prevent the creation of free online tax filing

What. You can't file your own taxes for free in the US?

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

CLAM DOWN posted:

You can, but its the paper form. Government is not allowed to make it easy to file online for taxpayers because free market or something.

The idea of government offering service seems anathema to Americans

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

CLAM DOWN posted:

It blew my mind when I found out everyone in the US had to file their taxes every year like they're running a business or something. Over here in the UK you just get an amount deducted from your paycheque each month and you don't have to do anything. It's mostly the responsibility of the finance department of the organisation you work for.

The US system just seems the worst of all worlds, no wonder people over there get so mad about taxes. Like how labels on products don't actually reflect the amount you pay at the till since they don't include state sales taxes, so you have to manually add that on in your head.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Gort posted:

The US system just seems the worst of all worlds

FTFY

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Gort posted:

The US system just seems the worst of all worlds, no wonder people over there get so mad about taxes. Like how labels on products don't actually reflect the amount you pay at the till since they don't include state sales taxes, so you have to manually add that on in your head.

This was a mindfuck when I went to the US lol

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

KennyTheFish posted:

You can, but its the paper form. Government is not allowed to make it easy to file online for taxpayers because free market or something.

The idea of government offering service seems anathema to Americans

Reply All did a pretty good podcast about it https://gimletmedia.com/shows/reply-all/6nhgol

If you'd rather read then check out https://www.propublica.org/article/intuit-turbotax-h-r-block-gutted-free-tax-filing-internal-memo

Apologies to Clam Down is this is off topic.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Gort posted:

It blew my mind when I found out everyone in the US had to file their taxes every year like they're running a business or something. Over here in the UK you just get an amount deducted from your paycheque each month and you don't have to do anything. It's mostly the responsibility of the finance department of the organisation you work for.

They do deduct it from your check. Most people can file a very simple tax form, your company gives you a W-2 and you copy some numbers over from that to the official tax form. Many employers have the information online so you can just enter your name and the employer tax ID.

Where taxes get complicated is if you are deducting expenses, dependents (such as children) interest, have investment returns or lottery winnings, other income like side jobs...Not that I would argue that the tax code isn't over-complicated. You can pay an accountant $300 to find you a bunch of loopholes and save you money on your taxes.

This is the EZ form:

Gort posted:

Nobody gets mad about that. You'd have to label things differently for every municipality since you can have state, county, and city sales taxes.

Bob Morales fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Sep 16, 2020

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Bob Morales posted:

Nobody gets mad about that. You'd have to label things differently for every municipality since you can have state, county, and city sales taxes.

people do, the advertised price should be the final price, just include tax in the display price.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
I would work for a financial company again if it meant the difference between eating and not eating.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

quote:

...so? The shop knows what things cost so they can charge you the after-tax amount at the till, after all.

My "no wonder people get mad about taxes" comment was because the labelling system draws attention to the taxes by not including it on the label. In the UK a product might cost £4.50, so it's labelled as £4.50 and you pay £4.50. In Minnesota, a product might be labelled as $4.50, but when you get to the till you have to pay $4.50 plus sales tax, so it's actually $4.81, which draws attention to the taxes. If the same product was labelled as costing $3.00 but you then had to pay a 50% transportation charge on top of that, people would get mad about transportation charges. As it is that's just baked into the labelled price, so it's invisible to the customer, so they don't think about it nearly as much as the tax charge.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

wargames posted:

people do, the advertised price should be the final price, just include tax in the display price.

They only people I've seen make a big deal about that are, uh, 'lower-income' people who think they're getting ripped off and apparently made it their whole lives without paying sales tax.

In the restaurants in the seedier parts of town they often put the out the door prices on food. So on the wall you have odd prices like $4.81 for a sandwich or $1.67 for a drink.

Honey Im Homme
Sep 3, 2009

As a British expat, I could give 2 shits about tax not being included on price tags when my income doubled overnight moving here.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Honey Im Homme posted:

As a British expat, I could give 2 shits about tax not being included on price tags when my income doubled overnight moving here.

And how much did your take-home increase after taking into account all the insurance bullshit you need to even come close to what's provided over the regular income tax in the UK? :v:

I did the math on doing the same a few years ago, but moving from Norway, and the conclusion was easily "gently caress that poo poo, it ain't worth it".

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Wibla posted:

And how much did your take-home increase after taking into account all the insurance bullshit you need to even come close to what's provided over the regular income tax in the UK? :v:

I did the math on doing the same a few years ago, but moving from Norway, and the conclusion was easily "gently caress that poo poo, it ain't worth it".

Believe it or not some employers fully pay health insurance premiums. So the most you'd spend out of pocket is $0-2500 for a deductible.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

"Price labels should be accurate"

"lol just be rich and you won't care"

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Wibla posted:

UK wages in general are pretty loving garbage

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

I would say, "At least we don't have to live under Trump" but we kinda do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Bob Morales posted:

Believe it or not some employers fully pay health insurance premiums. So the most you'd spend out of pocket is $0-2500 for a deductible.

Yeah, and then you get laid off and get gaped for COBRA until you (maybe) find a new job. Good deal right there :v:

And that span in deductible is :eyepop: ... Here it's $250.

Thanks Ants posted:

UK wages in general are pretty loving garbage

That's fair.