Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
The mounts are a fun little addition. Figuring out what each of them does.

Had a little incident with the Axolotl, The 3rd jump teleports you (with all the same drawbacks as usual teleporting)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

DarkAvenger211 posted:

Had a little incident with the Axolotl, The 3rd jump teleports you (with all the same drawbacks as usual teleporting)

I got stuck in a repeating loop with that guys bubble attack earlier. Kept getting bubbled while in my stunned animation and just floating up slowly, popping, falling and getting bubbled again before the character woke up. Lasted about a minute and a half and only ended cause it turned its back randomly for long enough for me to get the gently caress out of the way.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

Ok I’ve triggered (assuming it’s something I did) the ghost early several times (supposed to be at 3 mins right?)

What did I do?

E: I se the ghost face on that pot now..

Pakistani Brad Pitt fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Sep 15, 2020

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Pakistani Brad Pitt posted:

Ok I’ve triggered (assuming it’s something I did) the ghost early several times (supposed to be at 3 mins right?)

What did I do?

E: I se the ghost face on that pot now..

The ghost pot apparently has some interesting interactions if you throw it at a caveman / shopkeeper, though I've not been told what. It'd be interesting if you can ghost curse enemies. Also, I think if you hit the 3 minute mark and also have the ghost pot broken is when you get the fast ghost coming for you.

Either way, I can't wait to get off work and get this loaded up.

PopZeus
Aug 11, 2010
I am getting constantly owned on level 1 and I’m loving it!

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

PopZeus posted:

I am getting constantly owned on level 1 and I’m loving it!

:same:

I very much dislike these horny ball lizards

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

:same:

I very much dislike these horny ball lizards

From what I've seen from them on streams and videos they seem less annoying than the scorpions from the first game.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

The traps in the jungle are nasty

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

Jolo posted:

Yeah I can't decide on it either. I know lots of folks run all the time anyway in og Spelunky but I'm finding myself taking a lot of damage from running right into enemies with autorun on.

Running all the time is a trick in my opinion. The controls feel so good and tight that you think you can just sprint around like a madman, but unless you're one of those amazing spelunky pros I find a slower more careful approach always worked better for me.

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

Just picked up a second four leaf clover when starting the moon challenge. Message said "You feel protected." The journal didn't update though - any idea what this means?

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
how do you talk to people? I saw a guy ask me to help him find turkeys but he didn't say anything else and then when I tried to interact I punched him and he killed me

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

PG-13 SEX DUNGEON posted:

Just picked up a second four leaf clover when starting the moon challenge. Message said "You feel protected." The journal didn't update though - any idea what this means?

You feel protected means the ghost won't mess with you in that area.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Holy moly the online is broke broke.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Hooray I got to 2-1. Boomerang is a great weapon at least on world 1 where I can hang from ladders and snipe.

Died promptly on 2-1, was not prepared for conveyer belts

Then splatted on 1-1 of the daily.

Time for a break!

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

bows1 posted:

how do you talk to people? I saw a guy ask me to help him find turkeys but he didn't say anything else and then when I tried to interact I punched him and he killed me

this isn't really a spoiler, the guy is on the second level and the question isn't gameplay related... but, your interact and door entry buttons are the same, so if you don't get a prompt, you cant hold court with that person

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

parthenocarpy posted:

this isn't really a spoiler, the guy is on the second level and the question isn't gameplay related... but, your interact and door entry buttons are the same, so if you don't get a prompt, you cant hold court with that person

Gotcha! I also figured out what I was supposed to do. Made it to 2-1 and died immediately

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I am not a fan of the moles

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Died to a skelly 48 seconds into my first run. I missed Spelunky.

How do you all feel about default auto-run with R2 to walk? The inverse feels more natural but maybe this will be better in the long run if I practice it...

I had to switch it back to the normal for the tutorial just so I coulld get the controls all back in my head. Switched it back to auto-run after about an hour of playing and my finger thanks me.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

Holy moly the online is broke broke.
Derek posted the following thread on Twitter about the online:

quote:

We've noticed that quite a few Spelunky 2 players are seeing serious lag in online multiplayer. We're working on it! S2's multiplayer is server-based, so distance from other players isn't a factor. In the longterm, this should make it more reliable, esp. for 4-player co-op.

FYI, Spelunky 2's online multiplayer uses rollback netcode and was designed for it from the beginning. @BlitWorks will be running more tests this week. In the meantime, if you're having issues and want to help, come join us at our official Discord: https://discord.spelunky2.net

We are seeing some sessions go smoothly, so I think we're in a good place to gather data and start improving things. Apologies if you're having trouble, though... we weren't expecting it to be so extreme.

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

This is looking really good! I wasn't a huge fan of the busy artstyle of the remake so I'm liking the somewhat cleaner style here a lot.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
game drat good. appreciate them spicing up act 1 a bit with the lizards and the moles. love the yoshi options. love the characters having unique ropes.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
I'm watching some people on Twitch doing some secret-hunting and man it looks like there's some tricky poo poo in this game

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Maybe I need to git gud, but one thing I do not care for (And has ended more than a few 1-4 runs, that colors it) is the game having an enemy right next to you when you exit a room so you barely have time to react.

Again, maybe I just need a little practice on areas where I expect it to happen.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Sep 16, 2020

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

This one honestly seems way more trollish than the first one lol. Or maybe it's just been a long time and I'm terrible at it now. Either way I suck at this game.

Chekans 3 16
Jan 2, 2012

No Resetti.
No Continues.

Grimey Drawer

veni veni veni posted:

This one honestly seems way more trollish than the first one lol. Or maybe it's just been a long time and I'm terrible at it now. Either way I suck at this game.

I think time away and how much more complicated the first levels are are wrecking me. Moles and rolly lizards can suck it.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I have made it to the end of 1-4 like 10 times and something always manages to pinball me to death 20 feet away from the exit.

But yeah, the Moles and lizards can kiss my butt.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

I tried this in coop with two other goons tonight and learned a few things:

Sticking together is not actually that great. Throwing stuff can cause chaos easily. Give some space at least.

If someone dies, there's usually (always) a coffin in the next level.

Saving the puppy is the most vital thing you can do because it's health for EVERYONE! this adds up on 3-4 people quick.

Game is still great and I'm hoping to be able to beat it in coop.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

This game seems really good and IDK but it seems like they spiked the difficulty quite a bit. I keep getting owned on 1-1 and restarting because I lost like 2 health.

I did have one good run yesterday and got almost to the end of world 2, but I made a witchy npc mad and paid the price...

A question about doors/barriers and a reference to a (probably) special item below. Nothing too interesting.
Anyone know how to disable the laser barriers? I was in a moon challenge room and I blew up block by accident and the woman got pissed. Unfortunate, because I just dug up a very cool bow that is probably connected to some sort of secret, but I didn't have a chance to really use it.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
Yeah I had a go today and I got massacred on 1-1 like 7-8 times out of my first 10 goes. I am a bit rusty though and kept forgetting about the arrow traps and they do seem to throw a bigger variety of enemies at you quicker than in the first game. I did make it to 1-4 eventually so it can't be that hard!

I played as the weird goth.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Flayer posted:

Yeah I had a go today and I got massacred on 1-1 like 7-8 times out of my first 10 goes. I am a bit rusty though and kept forgetting about the arrow traps and they do seem to throw a bigger variety of enemies at you quicker than in the first game. I did make it to 1-4 eventually so it can't be that hard!

I played as the weird goth.

The black character? That's a sloth, dog.

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

a new study bible! posted:

A question about doors/barriers and a reference to a (probably) special item below. Nothing too interesting.
Anyone know how to disable the laser barriers? I was in a moon challenge room and I blew up block by accident and the woman got pissed. Unfortunate, because I just dug up a very cool bow that is probably connected to some sort of secret, but I didn't have a chance to really use it.

keep using the mattock until its busted

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
A ton of runs last night and got 2 of the 3 shortcuts done. Even hit the 6th area! Holy gently caress is this game waaaaaay harder than the first. I mostly used the shortcuts to practice the next area and unlock the next shortcut before attempting 1 to end runs. The area 4 water level is hard to read because a lot of the background and foreground stuff is hard to differentiate. I died to a trap that was hidden behind a piece of foliage which totally pissed me off. I find the shopkeepers a little easier to kill in this game too. The whip the wall trick from Spelunky 1 doesn't work but you can whip him then jump and try to land on him and steal the shotgun to finish him off. Also, be careful of backpacks and bomb packs since those will blow up if hit with bullets (another easy way to kill shopkeep lol). Here's some other spoilery things I found:

ghost pots: carry them with you to the end of the level and break them for the gem before entering the door for an easy money boost.

turkeys: burn them with fire to turn them into food for +1 heart. torches can be easily found from campfires in first area.

sacrifice: Feels like it takes a lot more bodies to get the Kapala from the first game. Best bet for an attempt is find shrine in same area as the turkey hunt, hope you can get the shotgun from the shopkeep, and sacrifice the shopkeeper body, turkey guy body, and all the alive turkeys and alive monsters you can find.

area 2 jungle/eye from area 1: the black market works the same except you get the headdress instead of the ankh. headdress doesn't revive you. haven't had a chance to bring it to the headdress level yet.

area 2 jungle path: there's 3 sisters you can find in tunnels. if you can find 2, they will give you an item at the area 3 fight in top right corner. haven't found all 3 in single run yet.

rainbows: if you bomb an area where you see a half rainbow, it will drop a pot. you can whip the pot for a bunch of coins until it breaks. it also means there's a leprechaun in the area. kill it for a lucky clover. it acts like the monkeys and will steal your money and vanish if it grabs you too much.

area 2 volcano path: there's a big drill on maybe 2-2 or 2-3. I could activate it after reaching area 5 once. read next spoiler if you wanna know where it takes you.
area 2 volcano path (spoiler for previous spoiler): it'll let you access a red area where you fight Vlad (drops red cape with double jump), unlock another character, and get a crown (no idea what crown does yet).

area 3 paths: area splits here too. instead of going to water world, let the bombs blow up the ground enough to get to anubis world (crickets). only hit this twice but it's hard as balls. not sure what's below the anubis entrance but looks like there's a gap.

I'm sure some of you have seen a sword in area 4 water path levels but I have no idea how to interact with it yet. I'm assuming it might have something to do with the volcano path spoiler I posted? king's crown is king arthur call back maybe and i can pull sword from stone?

area 5: it's a single ice level ala spelunky 1. you find the first exit and do a "it smells like wet fur" fight with yetis everywhere to get to real exit. there's also sometimes an alien in a giant mech but didn't drop anything special when i killed it.

area 6: sci fi area and lots of crap i have no idea what any of it does

There's a ton of things I found that I haven't figured out how to interact with yet. Also, if you make it to the water world and an NPC tells you "this tunnel is one way only", you should be ready to end your run if you take the tunnel. you go under the lava and can pick up the golden idol which drops all the lava on you. no idea how to get out of that one.

This game seems really good and IDK but it seems like they spiked the difficulty quite a bit. I keep getting owned on 1-1 and restarting because I lost like 2 health.

I did have one good run yesterday and got almost to the end of world 2, but I made a witchy npc mad and paid the price...

The challenge is to use the pick until it breaks then she asks you to come back up. Dig around the dirt to find little stoned off areas that contain treasures or items.

poemdexter fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Sep 16, 2020

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

parthenocarpy posted:

keep using the mattock until its busted

Weird. I used a bomb to remove it and the woman did not like it!

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
so I thought if you were holding a sleeping enemy that the arrow wouldnt hit you but I guess thats not true.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Weird. I used a bomb to remove it and the woman did not like it!
They don't mean use it on the laser blocks, the moon challenge is "dig around with the mattock and make as much money as possible". The challenge ends once the mattock breaks, and then the laser wall deactivates.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

IronicDongz posted:

They don't mean use it on the laser blocks, the moon challenge is "dig around with the mattock and make as much money as possible". The challenge ends once the mattock breaks, and then the laser wall deactivates.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

That it pretty unintuitive. Unless I missed something.

will the ghost come and get you at 3 mins still

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

That it pretty unintuitive. Unless I missed something.

The lucky clover you get keeps the ghost away on this level

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

DarkAvenger211 posted:

The lucky clover you get keeps the ghost away on this level

Technically the clover only extends the ghost timer to 5 minutes on the stage instead of preventing the ghost entirely

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Vegastar posted:

Technically the clover only extends the ghost timer to 5 minutes on the stage instead of preventing the ghost entirely

Ah good to know

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feb 2, 2005
My wife and I sat down to play last night and promptly got wrecked over and over again in the caves. Feels like 2013 all over again. The moles and lizards are serious pests.

Is there a cure for poison or is it basically a death sentence? loving surprise scorpion in a pot killed my best attempt.