Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
uncle mr. bones makes the threshold kids a lot more tolerable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

itry
Aug 23, 2019

The scrapped episode is the only Threshold Kids I enjoyed.

coke
Jul 12, 2009
Multi launch literally destroys anything that's remotely close to you since it can do the convenient thing of targeting 3 enemies at the same time if you were launching 3 things. Or throwing everything at a single enemy so one of the object can knock out armor while the other two object takes out health. It gets even better if you have the personal mod of getting health on launch hit.

In summary, I dont use a gun anymore.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Huh, was Underhill and the Pit always there in the base game and I just somehow managed to never go down there, or was it added in with the DLC?

Also, while trying to track down one of the roaming mold guys, I found a lab and turned on a radio to some rock music and it seemed to draw in a huge army of mold dudes, from memory it wasn't too far away from that test lab for people to sit in a giant room full of speakers playing The Old Gods of Asgard to "see what happens" :allears:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Yes, it's an optional area you're never pointed to. I didn't find it until I was in the postgame and googling stuff I had missed for the plat.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

You get a quest from Emily to go down to find Underhill there after the you get back from the Panopticon I think? Maybe that dialogue gets overwritten if you don’t get it for a while.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I only found it because I got the quest from her, but I spoke to her frequently throughout the game and she never mentioned it till the postgame, so maybe there was some other trigger I missed.

I did keep wondering during the main game when I was going to find a way to get into the rooms with mold in them though, so at least I know now. Also while exploring around that area I found another Darling video I'd missed, this one him explaining that he was (I think?) going to climb inside the giant HRA to be with Hedron at the end - I love how for a chunk of the game I assumed that Darling was one of the heads of department that got corrupted by the Hiss, only to find out that the reason for all the Director's suspicions and fears were because HE was the initial person corrupted, and Darling was the one guy doing everything he could to save everybody else.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
My first playthrough I jumped down the shaft and used the dash cancel “trick” to get down there really early and then I was IMMEDIATELY punished for my hubris lmao

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

The Pit is pretty late game since you need levitate to actually do anything down there.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I think it’s one of those situations where you get back to Pope for story reasons and to get the quest you have to talk to her again right afterwards instead of going to do what she just told you to do. If there’s a red icon flashing above the interact symbol on someone that means they have something new to say. Sometimes it’s a quest or just new dialogue.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Bust Rodd posted:

My first playthrough I jumped down the shaft and used the dash cancel “trick” to get down there really early and then I was IMMEDIATELY punished for my hubris lmao

Yeah this was me as well. And then later I did the first quest for Underhill but she wouldn't give me the serum until I went and did more main quests and came back

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
What's the punishment?

But yeah you can go do the first chunk of Underhill's stuff well before you get levitate. The game goes "okay go do something else now and come back later" after a point but the bulk of it doesn't require levitate as such.

...Though I guess that room is kind of a pain in the rear end without it and is where I was first properly introduced to the bullshit mold projectile attack. :argh:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

John Murdoch posted:

What's the punishment?

The punishment is discovering an area stuffed with things meant to challenge a kitted out endgame character

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

NGL I was confused by the Underhill for the longest time because I just had no idea where it was. The game signposts all the mold rooms you find as very big DON'T GO IN HERE IT MURDERS YOU so when the area you actually need pass through has some actual warning signings and blocking barricades into a bunch of mold on the ground you have been taught is bad/murder is... not actual able to hurt you in the slightest? And is the way you're supposed to go? I go out of my way not to look stuff up that's for progression in games and not just secrets, but after spending almost an hour baffled I finally gave up and looked it up online. I was moldly irritated after finding out.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

SaffronKit posted:

NGL I was confused by the Underhill for the longest time because I just had no idea where it was. The game signposts all the mold rooms you find as very big DON'T GO IN HERE IT MURDERS YOU so when the area you actually need pass through has some actual warning signings and blocking barricades into a bunch of mold on the ground you have been taught is bad/murder is... not actual able to hurt you in the slightest? And is the way you're supposed to go? I go out of my way not to look stuff up that's for progression in games and not just secrets, but after spending almost an hour baffled I finally gave up and looked it up online. I was moldly irritated after finding out.

I had the same issue as well. I thought "oh there's no way I'm supposed to be able to go there without some sort of anti-mold upgrade first"

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I definitely avoided the Pit when I was doing my initial sweep of Central Research. Once Pope pointed to Underhill I went "oh okay, that's what was up with that" and just went for it.

haveblue posted:

The punishment is discovering an area stuffed with things meant to challenge a kitted out endgame character

Huh, maybe I'm just having trouble parsing how strong you'd be at that point, jumping right in five seconds after entering Research for the first time let's say, but I wouldn't consider the Pit to be outright endgame content.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
You can do the first part of the threshmold quest as soon as you receive it from Pope, when you are I think key card level 4? If you do, Underhill tells you that she needs time to make the pill that will let you go further into the pit and immunize you to the mold and tells you to come back later. It's not a good idea though because the mold dudes are extremely dangerous at that point, barely survivable.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

CharlestonJew posted:

I had the same issue as well. I thought "oh there's no way I'm supposed to be able to go there without some sort of anti-mold upgrade first"

Pretty much my exact thoughts too. And this

John Murdoch posted:

I definitely avoided the Pit when I was doing my initial sweep of Central Research. Once Pope pointed to Underhill I went "oh okay, that's what was up with that" and just went for it.

Didn't even click at all because it just feels so signposted as DON'T GO IN HERE I just kinda blocked it out as an option entirely.

Also :colbert: at no one appreciating my mold jokes. Guess I'm not a fun guy enough to pull it off.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

SaffronKit posted:

Also :colbert: at no one appreciating my mold jokes. Guess I'm not a fun guy enough to pull it off.

:dadjoke::respek::dadjoke:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I guess you could say it was sporely received.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

I just noticed that there is a panel about Control going on at PAX Online right now at https://www.twitch.tv/pax with Courtney Hope, Matthew Porretta, Sam Lake, and Mikael Kasurinen, hosted by Janina Gavankar. It's already halfway through but PAX seems to keep all their archives available on Twitch, and also they'll be replaying this on Friday

quote:

Control – A Year Later. The Road to Developing an Award-Winning Supernatural Trip.

Remedy Entertainment’s key creators and collaborators look back and celebrate a year of Control. Join Game Director Mikael Kasurinen, Creative Director Sam Lake as well as frequent Remedy collaborators actress Courtney Hope (Jesse Faden) and Matthew Porretta (Dr. Darling) as they take an exclusive look at what it took to create Control and what the journey from conception to the final experience was like. Fair warning, this is going to be weirder than usual.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

exquisite tea posted:

I guess you could say it was sporely received.

There's enough mushroom in here for rest of us with such a fruiting comment like that.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

CJacobs posted:

You can do the first part of the threshmold quest as soon as you receive it from Pope, when you are I think key card level 4? If you do, Underhill tells you that she needs time to make the pill that will let you go further into the pit and immunize you to the mold and tells you to come back later. It's not a good idea though because the mold dudes are extremely dangerous at that point, barely survivable.

For me at least the basic mold zombies were mere fodder unless I was dumb and just stood there and let them barf on me. The snipers on the other hand are bullshit no matter what point in the game you're at.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Does the panel acknowledge how jacked Dr Darling is

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Yeah, tbh even if you are a tricked out end game Jesse rolling into the Pit, the mold snipers just 2 shot you from across the room with little to no noise and your shield isn't going to help you. They're absolutely the only enemy in the game I will point at as total bullshit design (extremely far range, pretty quiet, 1 or 2 shot you depending on your health upgrades, multiple can spawn in one location) and were kind of baffled to find in an otherwise pretty well and tightly designed game.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Green mold drives a car like this but black mold drives a car like

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Did the Underhill/Pit stuff today and it really feels like a DLC addition, with the size and weirdness of the area offset from the main setting. I didn't even get to the area or questline my first time through. Actually I don't know if I've even beaten it, I remember going down there the second time around but I just got an achievement for beating a big plant boss. Maybe I just gave up.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

When I first got to Underhill, the two guys outside her room said,"Hey don't go in there without checking with Underhill first!" and I first assumed that they were warning me to stay OUT of the room they were guarding and started to go another way, realized there was no sign of Underhill and so went back and checked the door and yep, there she was!

Also, love Jesse's musings on that questline: "Right, time to swallow the mold pill given to me by the rude lady!"

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

"Don't eat the mold."
"Uh yeah no duh, that's gross."

*10 seconds pass*

"This mold smells so sweet, I kinda wanna eat it!"

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I also like that Underhill is just kind of an rear end in a top hat in a very academic way.
*Jesse collects all the mold samples as well as one from the boss* "Note to self, buy locks for the lab doors"

itry
Aug 23, 2019

There was no one in the pit when I first got there, right at the start of the game. I spent quite a bit of time trying to kill 3 of those snipers just to head back up. Their damage is ridiculous.

Also completed the game yesterday. Really liked the world, the items, the House. Jesse is a good protagonist. The gameplay was fun, but it's a shame it was mostly used on boring horde arenas. Also the loot system is awful and I probably spent more than an hour overall disassembling mods to make space in my inventory.

Overall I really liked it though. Much better than Quantum Break... But I can't get past the fact that Darling/Trench/Langston/Marshall, really every character you talk to, is or was complicit in kidnapping a 10 year old and imprisoning him for 17 years. And the only comment from Jesse about it is something along the lines of "maybe things would've been different if they didn't do that" if you go back to the Ordinary AWE, or "things will be different now that I'm in charge".

I feel a little silly getting angry at video game characters like that. :shobon:

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Anyone ever wonder who exactly the field training course was designed for

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I may or may not have just spent 40 minutes blowing through all the bullshit expeditions using invincibility and one-shot kills to get the badass outfit

NO RAGRETS

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Oh you actually get something for that dumb bullshit? gently caress.... guess I better do it.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Expeditions own and are not bullshit. They are difficult though. I recommend prescribing your enemies with one dose of +250% headshot damage Grip.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You have to do all three difficulties in order, it's the same missions just with tougher mods (none of which affected me :smug:)

e: they're bullshit in the sense that they're too tough for me to ever feel like trying them again for realsies

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
It would be nice if there was a ng+ so grinding out that poo poo to get a new costume would transfer over when you run out of content in your current save

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Is that not what the mission replay option on the main menu does? I haven't had a reason to try it, I'm surprised if that's not what it's for. Does it reset your progress back to where it was when you played that mission?

edit: I looked it up, seems it does reset your progress back to where it was originally. That's lame, I wonder why they did it that way.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Captain Hygiene posted:

You have to do all three difficulties in order, it's the same missions just with tougher mods (none of which affected me :smug:)

e: they're bullshit in the sense that they're too tough for me to ever feel like trying them again for realsies

The first one I did, on the "easy" difficulty, had +100% enemy health as the only mod and it was a nightmarish slog. Then when I did the so-called hardest difficulty, it had a penalty to some weapon I don't use, and huge bonuses to launch speed and energy regeneration. I was pretty much just machine-gunning huge chunks of concrete at things the entire time and nothing could touch me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I guess it's more random than I thought, mine had some tradeoffs but stepped up in difficulty. Honestly after running through it invincible a few times I could probably make an actual run, but ultra extended fights just aren't what I enjoy from the game.