Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Yeah I can't find a single argument for why price shouldn't include all tax on it, it's not like the price tags are printed nationally. It was just weird to me, I had cash in the right amount and then the guy asks me for a different amount. And don't even get me started on tipping (please also don't get started on tipping or it will be a long conversation).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Wibla posted:

Yeah, and then you get laid off and get gaped for COBRA until you (maybe) find a new job. Good deal right there :v:

And that span in deductible is :eyepop: ... Here it's $250.

That's fair.

Another "gotcha" for unemployment is that they don't take taxes out so when you've been off work for 9 months you get that oh-so-good feeling and having the government tell you that you owe them $6,000 come April. At least in :canada:

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

orange sky posted:

Yeah I can't find a single argument for why price shouldn't include all tax on it, it's not like the price tags are printed nationally. It was just weird to me, I had cash in the right amount and then the guy asks me for a different amount. And don't even get me started on tipping (please also don't get started on tipping or it will be a long conversation).

Laughs in Australian

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Retailers will complain because two Best Buys 5 miles from each other would have to advertise different prices depending on what side of the country line they are on.

Counties also won't like it either because it would remind people that if they drive a few miles they are going to pay less for something and drive revenue out of the county.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

Bob Morales posted:

They only people I've seen make a big deal about that are, uh, 'lower-income' people who think they're getting ripped off and apparently made it their whole lives without paying sales tax

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
oh man this is too beautiful not to share:

So our vpn software needs to be upgraded.
Seems simple enough right? Push out a new package over SCCM and uninstall the old one. We can't just upgrade unfortunately and users can't install it themselves.
Boss doesn't trust that it will work, so I said 'okay' and washed my hands of the whole thing.
He passed the task to my manager to 'solutionize' and his idea was to have literally every employee schedule a time to come in and have their software upgraded. One at a time, during a pandemic, giving no consideration to out of state workers.
He didn't even make a loving calendar for people to pick a time/date and schedule themselves. He literally just asked the entire org to reply to his email.

At this rate he might finish manually creating all the appointments sometime next month.

This is loving beautiful. I'm taking the rest of the week off.

e: oh my god he's not even sending calendar invites, he is literally just scheduling them all on his calendar and sending a separate confirmation email.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
... how many people is that? Lmfao

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

Gort posted:

...so? The shop knows what things cost so they can charge you the after-tax amount at the till, after all.

My "no wonder people get mad about taxes" comment was because the labelling system draws attention to the taxes by not including it on the label. In the UK a product might cost £4.50, so it's labelled as £4.50 and you pay £4.50. In Minnesota, a product might be labelled as $4.50, but when you get to the till you have to pay $4.50 plus sales tax, so it's actually $4.81, which draws attention to the taxes. If the same product was labelled as costing $3.00 but you then had to pay a 50% transportation charge on top of that, people would get mad about transportation charges. As it is that's just baked into the labelled price, so it's invisible to the customer, so they don't think about it nearly as much as the tax charge.

Hell, I'll use the turbo nerd example. In Final Fantasy XIV, there's a fee for buying from the Market Board. I got out enough to buy something, only to be short because of the drat fee it doesn't include in.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

bull3964 posted:

Retailers will complain because two Best Buys 5 miles from each other would have to advertise different prices depending on what side of the country line they are on.

Counties also won't like it either because it would remind people that if they drive a few miles they are going to pay less for something and drive revenue out of the county.

Remember in the good old days when you could avoid sales tax buy mail ordering stuff from another state?

:pray:

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Tetramin posted:

... how many people is that? Lmfao

only like 260 so entirely possible but still REALLY dumb

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Thanks Ants posted:

If I were ever in charge of a support ticketing system I would let people submit the first request via email (reluctantly - a form can capture a lot more useful information), but everything after that point would have to be entered into the ticket system. Use a unique link if you want so people don't have to create yet another account, but I've got no interest in trying to parse emails once a chain builds up.
They will just keep submitting new tickets via email for every update. They will then also pick one from the middle of that chain to reply to for their next issue.

The only way it will ever get better is if techs are allowed to ignore or reject lovely tickets.

If people are forced to do things right to get a result they'll shape up, but that rarely happens because it requires deep management buy-in and usually the management are the ones doing it wrong to begin with.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

wolrah posted:

They will just keep submitting new tickets via email for every update. They will then also pick one from the middle of that chain to reply to for their next issue.

The only way it will ever get better is if techs are allowed to ignore or reject lovely tickets.

If people are forced to do things right to get a result they'll shape up, but that rarely happens because it requires deep management buy-in and usually the management are the ones doing it wrong to begin with.

My favorite is when someone CC's the ticketing system on a reply to an org-wide email. Then everyone in the org replies CC-ing the ticketing system, creating hundreds of new tickets for important things like "yeah me too!"

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

My favorite is when someone CC's the ticketing system on a reply to an org-wide email. Then everyone in the org replies CC-ing the ticketing system, creating hundreds of new tickets for important things like "yeah me too!"
Zendesk is actually pretty good at handling these, as long as the person doesn't gently caress with the subject line or message body too much.

Sticking with the "users create the stupidest loving tickets" theme:

Seriously, what the gently caress makes people think that emailing us to call them makes sense when we have a loving call-in hotline? They can call us at any time when it's good for them, we should not be calling them and hoping they're available (they inevitably are not).

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

wolrah posted:

Zendesk is actually pretty good at handling these, as long as the person doesn't gently caress with the subject line or message body too much.

Sticking with the "users create the stupidest loving tickets" theme:

Seriously, what the gently caress makes people think that emailing us to call them makes sense when we have a loving call-in hotline? They can call us at any time when it's good for them, we should not be calling them and hoping they're available (they inevitably are not).

It’s an intentional technique designed to put off work.

If they submit the ticket, then they can say that they’re waiting for IT when their manager asks why something isn’t done yet.

Works best when the ticket is sent in right before lunch, at the end of the day, or right before they go in to a long meeting.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

The Fool posted:

It’s an intentional technique designed to put off work.

If they submit the ticket, then they can say that they’re waiting for IT when their manager asks why something isn’t done yet.

Works best when the ticket is sent in right before lunch, at the end of the day, or right before they go in to a long meeting.

In this situation it's from a VP so it could be blame deflection for a higher exec or just "I do what I want. Rules do not apply to me."

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

KennyTheFish posted:

You can, but its the paper form. Government is not allowed to make it easy to file online for taxpayers because free market or something.

The idea of government offering service seems anathema to Americans

This is 100% inaccurate. The major tax prep companies all have 100% free e-filing options and have had such for years. There are add-on paid services that are optional, but for basically anyone that's doing a 1040EZ, it will 100% cover them and is easy as hell.

Most times you have to pay something like $20 to copy/paste your data over for your state return and to e-file, but federal is 100% top to bottom free*

*for most people, anyway. Details here: https://www.irs.gov/filing/free-file-do-your-federal-taxes-for-free

And yes, you have to file state AND federal. Every year.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

AlternateAccount posted:

This is 100% inaccurate. The major tax prep companies all have 100% free e-filing options and have had such for years. There are add-on paid services that are optional, but for basically anyone that's doing a 1040EZ, it will 100% cover them and is easy as hell.

Most times you have to pay something like $20 to copy/paste your data over for your state return and to e-file, but federal is 100% top to bottom free*

*for most people, anyway. Details here: https://www.irs.gov/filing/free-file-do-your-federal-taxes-for-free

All of the tax companies are required by law to provide free e-file if a person is eligible, however they absolutely do not make it easy to find and will go out of their way to throw up roadblocks and make it look like you need to pay for a service. Intuit specifically actually got in trouble for this.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

AlternateAccount posted:

They do their best to conceal that fact down and push people towards paying. Haven't checked their robots.txt recently but the general practice was to not have them index on search engines.

https://www.propublica.org/article/turbotax-deliberately-hides-its-free-file-page-from-search-engines

quote:

While 70% of taxpayers are eligible for Free File options from TurboTax and other tax software products, just 3% of eligible taxpayers or fewer use them each year.

:thunk:

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
I got bamboozled into paying for the like $40 TurboTax one year because it said I made too much to file for free, and I did not make very much that year

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
There's talk of hot desking now when we come back.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BX-7BlRc_a0

TheFace
Oct 4, 2004

Fuck anyone that doesn't wanna be this beautiful

Bonzo posted:

Another "gotcha" for unemployment is that they don't take taxes out so when you've been off work for 9 months you get that oh-so-good feeling and having the government tell you that you owe them $6,000 come April. At least in :canada:

This may be a state by state thing... not sure. But Arizona takes taxes out of unemployment (both state and federal) so you don't have to worry about that.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Nuclearmonkee posted:

They do their best to conceal that fact down and push people towards paying. Haven't checked their robots.txt recently but the general practice was to not have them index on search engines.

https://www.propublica.org/article/turbotax-deliberately-hides-its-free-file-page-from-search-engines

:thunk:

They have also convinced a large part of the population that by doing their own returns, they are losing all kinds of deductions. Which is simply untrue for the majority of tax filers. I have managed to convince many people in my family they have been shafted by places like H&R Block for years.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Don't forget that people go to H&R block so they can get an instant refund instead of waiting weeks for the government to mail them a check or do a direct deposit.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Bob Morales posted:

Don't forget that people go to H&R block so they can get an instant refund instead of waiting weeks for the government to mail them a check or do a direct deposit.

this instant refund is a scam too, it usually always more than the return and has interest attached to pay it back.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Matt Zerella posted:

this instant refund is a scam too, it usually always more than the return and has interest attached to pay it back.

They all advertise it as interest-free but I don't know how it really works because I always just wait for my money.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Yeah 95% of the time you can just do your taxes on turbotax or wherever, mail them in and it's free. The other 5% is like people with their own business, 1099 side work etc where you won't know about deductions or specific tax code stuff that you need to deal with; for those people it's useful to use a tax person otherwise just file yourself.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

So I shouldn’t try to get this job then?

Please tell me what to do goons, I’m working on the take home exercise right now

E: i named a target salary that is 40% ish more than I’m making now and the position is 100% remote, I will very likely take it if they offer me the money I asked for

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Bob Morales posted:

They all advertise it as interest-free but I don't know how it really works because I always just wait for my money.

its basically masked predatory lending

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

The Fool posted:

So I shouldn’t try to get this job then?

Please tell me what to do goons, I’m working on the take home exercise right now

E: i named a target salary that is 40% ish more than I’m making now and the position is 100% remote, I will very likely take it if they offer me the money I asked for

I'd take it.

Is is possible to work ethically in enterprise tech? I mean, at some point your going to have a part in supplying services to oil, lobbyists, oppressive governments, etc.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Bonzo posted:

I'd take it.

Is is possible to work ethically in enterprise tech? I mean, at some point your going to have a part in supplying services to oil, lobbyists, oppressive governments, etc.

Nope.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
Lol if you would decline an offer for more money because goons say you should. Unless you’re like doing development for military drones or something

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Tetramin posted:

Lol if you would decline an offer for more money because goons say you should. Unless you’re like doing development for military drones or something

The only thing off limits to me at this point is the prison system and police departments. I probably wouldn't work for anything political either.

Well, unless they paid me enough.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Bonzo posted:

I'd take it.

There are plenty of other types of orgs in "enterprise tech" you can work for. I'm not comfortable posting details about my job, but I feel that I work for an ethical org in the public sector.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Same, I work for a pretty good company that is as “good” as they come for a 3000+ user org.

My <1 year stint at ITT Tech corporate however? Hooo boy, if you ever have that little tickle in the back of your mind over what a company does and their ethics, listen to it. I ignored it because I wanted out of a lovely boss situation and that was a mistake.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

My old boss from 2 of my last three jobs, including this one, is recruiting me again. He knows what I make since I took over for him, so this should be good.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
GOD loving DAMNIT MICROSOFT
I just finished writing up user instructions for the Advanced eDiscovery tool in the Security and Compliance Center and you all go and loving move it and change everything around.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

GOD loving DAMNIT MICROSOFT
I just finished writing up user instructions for the Advanced eDiscovery tool in the Security and Compliance Center and you all go and loving move it and change everything around.

I still don't understand why we have protection.microsoft.com and compliance.microsoft.com . There is too much crossover.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Computer 1 : laptop on home connection, vpn'd into work network

Computer 2: work computer on the internal work network

Is there any way to get rdp or dameware to let computer 2 connect to computer 1? Doesn't seem possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Totally dependent on how your orgs network is configured