Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I can't imagine being a Jeopardy diehard and hating Ken. He's the GOAT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
He's also just a genuinely nice and likable human being, unlike, say, a James.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

He's the only genuine personality the show has produced outside of like, Arthur Chu. He's so likeable that I don't care that he's a mormon, and that's usually a disqualifying characteristic for me.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Yeah, Ken and Brad are both super likeable dudes and it's pretty amazing that Jeopardy of all shows, one which attracts a whole lot of weirdos, ended up with a genuinely likeable guy as one of their best.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Johnny Gilbert should retire and be replaced by Buzzy

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

HookShot posted:

Yeah, Ken and Brad are both super likeable dudes and it's pretty amazing that Jeopardy of all shows, one which attracts a whole lot of weirdos, ended up with a genuinely likeable guy as one of their best.

i would say this is largely in part to how excellent their screening team is. they really drive home throughout the whole process they want...someone--not a walking encyclopedia. they want real people who can have real conversations who the audience can relate to. sure, be a little off and goofy, they definitely like hints of that, but you absolutely cannot be the shut-in, hermit type.

so yea, not surprised they found those two, as rare as they may be in the wild. smart people self-select themselves into the jeopardy pool, and they just pull out the ones they find most compatible with the show. i would say the easiest part of their job is culling out the ones they don't want, and the hardest part is selecting like the last few. at least with my audition, the differences among the attendees were pretty stark.

abelwingnut fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Sep 4, 2020

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

abelwingnut posted:

i would say this is largely in part to how excellent their screening team is. they really drive home throughout the whole process they want...someone--not a walking encyclopedia. they want real people who can have real conversations who the audience can relate to. sure, be a little off and goofy, they definitely like hints of that, but you absolutely cannot be the shut-in, hermit type.

so yea, not surprised they found those two, as rare as they may be in the wild. smart people self-select themselves into the jeopardy pool, and they just pull out the ones they find most compatible with the show. i would say the easiest part of their job is culling out the ones they don't want, and the hardest part is selecting like the last few. at least with my audition, the differences among the attendees were pretty stark.

Yeah, 100% agree.

Although there are some exceptions to them getting good people. Some of the female contestants have literally been harassed online by the male contestants they were up against (and beat) after the show aired.

Buzzy would make a great Johnny Gilbert.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

OldSenileGuy posted:

Johnny Gilbert should retire and be replaced by Buzzy
They can set up the pairing to have a Ben Stein/Jimmy Kimmel vibe

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.
Is there a photo gallery or clip collection showcasing the various stage sets over the years?

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Cyril Sneer posted:

Is there a photo gallery or clip collection showcasing the various stage sets over the years?

https://gameshows.fandom.com/wiki/Jeopardy!/Sets

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost
Any idea if they are keeping the clew crew around?

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Who’s ready for NEW JEOPARDY????

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

HookShot posted:

Who’s ready for NEW JEOPARDY????

:bisonyes:

https://www.theringer.com/tv/2020/9...cZiTgaTxDd6cHCI

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
I'm so glad they're taking things seriously enough to redesign the set to make things work.

I just don't know what I'd do if my number finally comes up now, because flying cross-country to get to L.A. still seems like suicide :ohdear:

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/KenJennings/status/1305589541042974720

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Bring back the sound boop-boop-boop-boop sound effect as the clue board fills in or gtfo :colbert:

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!

BaronVonVaderham posted:

I'm so glad they're taking things seriously enough to redesign the set to make things work.

I just don't know what I'd do if my number finally comes up now, because flying cross-country to get to L.A. still seems like suicide :ohdear:

Planes are a lot safer than they seem like they would be--they totally circulate the air twice an hour and stuff and most airplanes are still good about empty seats. i was one seat away from somebody coughing up a storm for eleven hours a couple weeks ago and i was thinking "yep, this is it for me, had a good run" but i tested negative a little while later so who knows. Could always John Madden it up and just hit the road if your schedule allows. either way... jeopardy!

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

i swear the socially distanced podiums make them look bigger

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
I'd probably risk it if they didn't provide some sort of opt-out to be on a later episode instead. I'm just high risk with my lungs so I'm pretty sure if I catch this thing that's game over. I have to assume because of Alex's condition the set itself is probably the safest place to be besides your own home.

I'd John Madden it if it wasn't a 37 hour drive. I used to do 23 hours nonstop solo to New England to see my mom, but those days are long gone; doing 21 to Michigan with my wife even with being able to swap off was just not a good idea. So even splitting that in half would be almost two of those back to back....that's gotta be a 3 day trip one way. I might be able to get away with it but my wife can't and she'd want to be there.

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.
This new set looks extremely 90s.

The Human Cow
May 24, 2004

hurry up

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Bring back the sound boop-boop-boop-boop sound effect as the clue board fills in or gtfo :colbert:

Only if they bring back the rad music that played when the contestants walk out from backstage first.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Vertical Lime posted:

i swear the socially distanced podiums make them look bigger

I was watching last night, and I was surprised that they hadn't done it earlier.

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.
Since when does Final Jeopardy care about spelling? I'm very confused why "beetles" wasn't acceptable either.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
It's too bad Betsy won't be returning, she was fun to watch and clearly having a great time.

you broke my grill
Jul 11, 2019

FrumpleOrz posted:

Since when does Final Jeopardy care about spelling? I'm very confused why "beetles" wasn't acceptable either.

it's wrong if the spelling changes the pronunciation and the subreddit is arguing over whether Berry and Barry are pronounced the same

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Does the lighting seem really harsh to anyone else? Maybe it’s just my imagination but it seems way less flattering to everyone than it did last season

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
It probably doesn't help that the contestants apparently have to do their own makeup now.

Also, the guy in the middle was like a black hole for the ladies' hairstyles!

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

you broke my grill posted:

it's wrong if the spelling changes the pronunciation and the subreddit is arguing over whether Berry and Barry are pronounced the same

I was a bit surprised at the ruling. I pronounce them differently, but remember those dialect quizzes had a question about marry and merry.

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

It's too bad Betsy won't be returning, she was fun to watch and clearly having a great time.

I thought she trying too hard to be cute and quirky. But I am an rear end in a top hat and likely in the minority opinion.

I did enjoy Ken Jennings presenting that category. He was trying to project a Jeopardian tone and it worked.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
What are they going to do to fold in the pre-roni champion? Have him and the new one come back on the same episode?

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

packetmantis posted:

What are they going to do to fold in the pre-roni champion? Have him and the new one come back on the same episode?

Probably. It’s what they did when they brought Ryan Fenster back a couple seasons ago, when a Daily Double of his was ruled incorrect wrongly, and cost him the game. He was a 4 game champ and became champ again following that game, eventually winning 8 games and a ToC slot in the same tournament as James.

I’ve missed both new games of the season so far unfortunately, leaving my new job late and the subways killing me. Hopefully I’ll be able to catch the show tonight. Wanna see more Ken Jennings and I’ve missed Trebek a whole lot.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
I can't believe they played with the Mary/merry/marry merger fire after running into the same issue on a contestant test a few years ago, lol

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

you broke my grill posted:

For the longest time I thought his name was Barry Gordie because I'd only heard it said at that point (I'd say Berry and Barry differently but every time I'd heard it people said it like "Barry").

I think it's stupid not to give it to them because they obviously knew who it was. I remember a Final Jeopardy where the response was Mediterranean Sea and the guy misspelled it which ended up dropping a syllable or something but c'mon that's obvious he knew what the correct response was.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Groovelord Neato posted:

For the longest time I thought his name was Barry Gordie because I'd only heard it said at that point (I'd say Berry and Barry differently but every time I'd heard it people said it like "Barry").

I think it's stupid not to give it to them because they obviously knew who it was. I remember a Final Jeopardy where the response was Mediterranean Sea and the guy misspelled it which ended up dropping a syllable or something but c'mon that's obvious he knew what the correct response was.

I probably would have ruled Barry Gordy correct since it CAN be pronounced the same depending on your accent, but they explain the rules clearly. If your misspelling alters pronunciation, that's a nope. It's why that kid was ruled wrong for "Emanciptation (sic) Proclamation."

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

If she would have said "Barry Gordy" (not "Berry Gordy") in response to a regular question, she obviously would have been ruled correct. I guess this is why you should always be one of those people who only answers last names.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

zakharov posted:

I probably would have ruled Barry Gordy correct since it CAN be pronounced the same depending on your accent, but they explain the rules clearly. If your misspelling alters pronunciation, that's a nope. It's why that kid was ruled wrong for "Emanciptation (sic) Proclamation."

Yeah, I was definitely confused because I pretty much pronounce it the same way.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Iron Crowned posted:

Yeah, I was definitely confused because I pretty much pronounce it the same way.

Enjoy this article on the mary/merry/marry merger or lack thereof!

https://www.businessinsider.com/merry-marry-mary-pronunciation-dialect-2018-12

If you're from NYC or Philly you probably pronounce those words differently and thus have differences between Barry and Berry as well. Otherwise, probably not.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I thought that clue sucked for FJ for the reasons mentioned. A vast majority of the population who knew the correct question would have whiffed on the spelling just like the contestants did.

If this is what we can expect from the Mike Richards era, I'm out.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

RC and Moon Pie posted:

I thought she trying too hard to be cute and quirky. But I am an rear end in a top hat and likely in the minority opinion.

The contestants you can see Jimfacing off to the side always irk me, and while I noticed her doing it, it didn't reach a level that I thought was obnoxious.

I am super expressive with my face and would absolutely be obnoxious if I were ever on the show

I like the new set! I didn't even think about it from a distancing standpoint at first, but it makes sense. I think it looks really good.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

RC and Moon Pie posted:

:same:

She reminded me too much of people I knew in undergrad who annoyed the poo poo out of me because they had to act like that constantly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

RC and Moon Pie posted:

I did enjoy Ken Jennings presenting that category. He was trying to project a Jeopardian tone and it worked.

I thought Ken was super stiff, and I wasn't crazy about his generic clue-crew "Jeopardian tone." Let Ken be Ken, dammit.

Granted it was his first category and he's probably shooting his stuff remotely so he will definitely get better, these are just first impressions