Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Shitpost all you like

BUT DON'T GET BETWEEN ME AND THE BLOOD WINE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Martytoof posted:

Shitpost all you like

and SING IT

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

Martytoof posted:

Shitpost all you like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FjzFHyjhVI

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

:rolleyes:

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Yeah that plot’s not happening any time soon.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Maybe I'm alone in this but I couldn't give less of a poo poo about ~some random person's~ take on Star Trek anymore.

I don't need a big twist on the formula. I don't need someone to shake poo poo up. I just need someone who loving gets it and isn't a sexual predator or mealy-mouthed neoliberal or closet Nazi.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I can’t wait until the end of 2020 when we find out this was a Star Trek movie all along.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Phylodox posted:

I can’t wait until the end of 2020 when we find out this was a Star Trek movie all along.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

nine-gear crow posted:

The Omega Particle was simultaneously one of the stupidest AND scariest things Voyager ever did. I wish we had maybe one more series set in the 24th century before the franchise hit the iceburg with Nemesis and Enterprise because it kind of needed maybe one more episode or so to really explore the implications of what happens you make an Omega and it goes absolutely horrifyingly wrong.

Star Trek: Armada brings it back as the McGuffin for the back half of its plot, but it leaves out the "this thing is hella unstable and makes FTL travel impossible for hundreds of lightyears if it explodes" part of the equation and just had it be a super power source that the Borg are after.

Seriously. Like, the Borg invest all of their resources and create only a single molecule of the stuff but this rando Delta Quadrant prewarp civilization creates hundreds "to save their society"! Like perhaps don't plow everything into making holocaust atoms? IDK.

Still a pretty great episode. Seeing Harry Kim get demoted to 2 of 10 made me lol

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

No, not that Star Trek.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Bilirubin posted:

Seriously. Like, the Borg invest all of their resources and create only a single molecule of the stuff but this rando Delta Quadrant prewarp civilization creates hundreds "to save their society"!

Wasn't there some ingredient the Borg didn't have any more of that the randos had stumbled on?

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Drone posted:

Maybe I'm alone in this but I couldn't give less of a poo poo about ~some random person's~ take on Star Trek anymore.

I don't need a big twist on the formula. I don't need someone to shake poo poo up. I just need someone who loving gets it and isn't a sexual predator or mealy-mouthed neoliberal or closet Nazi.

I love Noah Hawley but yeah I'll take a hard pass on another galaxy-spanning deadly threat

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Drone posted:

I just need someone who loving gets it and isn't a sexual predator or mealy-mouthed neoliberal or closet Nazi.

I have some bad news about the entertainment industry, buddy. At best you get to pick two of these.

e: at least in the production sectors

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Drone posted:

Yeah I don't think you're alone.

I just want an episodic monster of the week with maybe some overarching plot to tie seasons together. I want it bright, optimistic, or if not optimistic then at least pragmatic with optimistic overtones, and most of all I don't want END OF LIFE AS YOU KNOW IT stakes.

I mean basically just give me a mashup of TNG and DS9..

And please, no more synths, or shape shifting aliens posing as humans. We did that. It was fun and now it's done.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Also characters that matter and grow but who can do so without having seasonwide ~prestige TV~ arcs that in the end everyone hates because nobody can resist the urge to turn every serialized TV series into the final season of Game of Thrones.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Star Trek doesn't need to be any season of Game of Thrones

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

The Bloop posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvAHaz_0gP0

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

The Bloop posted:

Though I will freely admit, Janeway returning to Earth only to give the orders to destroy it and its ungrateful populace makes complete sense in-canon.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Phylodox posted:

No, not that Star Trek.

2020 has truly been a Star Trek Voyager of a year

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

MikeJF posted:

Wasn't there some ingredient the Borg didn't have any more of that the randos had stumbled on?

IDR them mentioning it in any sort of detail like that

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Drone posted:

Also characters that matter and grow but who can do so without having seasonwide ~prestige TV~ arcs that in the end everyone hates because nobody can resist the urge to turn every serialized TV series into the final season of Game of Thrones.

explorers would have been a better season long arc for sisko than a single episode.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Not sure if I should ask this here or in the other Star Trek thread but if I were to watch all the Trek series, which would be a good place to start?

Should I watch them based off of airdate, therefore TOS -> TNG -> DS9 -> VOY -> ENT -> DIS? Or should I go chronologically ENT -> DIS -> TOS, etc?

I'm not unfamiliar with the universe, I've seen all of the movies (though not the latest one, Beyond?) and I have watched through all of TNG, a few episodes of TOS, and the first season of DS9, but then school caused me to fall off the wagon, and this was right when Discovery first aired too. Since I'm enjoying Lower Decks waaaaaay more than I enjoyed Picard I'm curious what people's thoughts are on the best approach for watching the other shows

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Aces High posted:

Not sure if I should ask this here or in the other Star Trek thread but if I were to watch all the Trek series, which would be a good place to start?

Should I watch them based off of airdate, therefore TOS -> TNG -> DS9 -> VOY -> ENT -> DIS? Or should I go chronologically ENT -> DIS -> TOS, etc?

I'm not unfamiliar with the universe, I've seen all of the movies (though not the latest one, Beyond?) and I have watched through all of TNG, a few episodes of TOS, and the first season of DS9, but then school caused me to fall off the wagon, and this was right when Discovery first aired too. Since I'm enjoying Lower Decks waaaaaay more than I enjoyed Picard I'm curious what people's thoughts are on the best approach for watching the other shows

I'd just finish DS9 at this point.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Tonally TOS is very different from the rest of the series. I'd start with TNG, and if you like the concepts enough, give TOS a shot, but be aware that it is extremely 60's as a whole.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

multijoe posted:

2020 has truly been a Star Trek Voyager of a year

Are you kidding? I would kill for 2020 to be anodyne, apolitical, more-of-the-same-but-boring, the-colour-beige-personified pablum.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Phylodox posted:

Are you kidding? I would kill for 2020 to be anodyne, apolitical, more-of-the-same-but-boring, the-colour-beige-personified pablum.

it's one of the episodes where Janeway really goes off on one and unleashes an ancient evil across the galaxy because someone told her not to

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Tonally TOS is very different from the rest of the series. I'd start with TNG, and if you like the concepts enough, give TOS a shot, but be aware that it is extremely 60's as a whole.

I could never get into TOS given TNG was my first Trek. To this day I'm pretty sure I've only watched maybe six or seven full episodes all the way through.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Martytoof posted:

I could never get into TOS given TNG was my first Trek. To this day I'm pretty sure I've only watched maybe six or seven full episodes all the way through.

I made my partner watch, in order, Spock's Brain and City on the Edge of Forever. She went from "wtf this is garbage" to "oh that was really neat!"

Amok Time is awaiting on the PVR.

(for background: she is a die hard DS9 fan and really likes Picard and LD, was so so on Voyager but loves Janeway. She never got into TNG and has not seen most of TOS)

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Fully agree I'm probably missing some good Trek, but my mind just can't see beyond the 60s production values.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Martytoof posted:

Fully agree I'm probably missing some good Trek, but my mind just can't see beyond the 60s production values.

Agreed fully. It's not bad but I definitely need to be in an "old-school TV" mood to enjoy it.

Honestly I think my first exposure to TOS was the Tribbles DS9 episode.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

I feel like it's easy to tell when someone is old enough to have grown up watching Nick at Nite when it comes to things like "tolerating 60s production values".

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Drone posted:

I feel like it's easy to tell when someone is old enough to have grown up watching Nick at Nite when it comes to things like "tolerating 60s production values".

I dunno, I definitely grew up loving the stuff they showed, but for some reason TOS just doesn't really do it for me. I stayed up all summers watching I Love Lucy, Bewitched, I Dream of Jeannie, etc. in the early 90's when I was wee.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
It’s because of the tonal dissonance. Watching sit-coms with lurid colours and cheap sets is fine, because it just adds to the silly atmosphere. But Star Trek is ostensibly a drama, so your ability to process the serious plot lines is hijacked by the overtly silly aesthetic. It didn’t matter back in the day, of course, because a) the aesthetic was more mainstream then and b) you were watching it on a five inch screen that made literally everything look like Candyland vomited all over it.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Watch TOS

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Drone posted:

um, right. Totally Nick at Night, not syndication in the 70s.

Green slime hahaha amirite?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Bilirubin posted:

um, right. Totally Nick at Night, not syndication in the 70s.

Green slime hahaha amirite?

:bernchloe:

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYFyOSFOw_o

i vividly remember seeing this commercial back in the 80s

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Why do Star Trek ads always show a compilation of phaser shooting?

The ads are always way more violent than the actual show. Do the marketeers think that's what people are looking for in Trek?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Trailers aren't for people that already want to watch the show

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmSxGZ_8Qv4