Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is your favorite returning character?
Kane
General Carville
Premier Romanov
Jobbo Fett
View Results

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

THE BAR posted:

I always thought the first C&C was a bit more laid-back than the rest. But that's probably due to Tiberian Sun being really dour in comparison, and the image of Kane kicking back while talking about dinosaurs having been seared into my brain.

E:

Just went back and looked, and in my mind, he's wearing a Hawaiian shirt in that cutscene, not his usual black one. Although the main bad guy wearing a regular black t-shirt still seems plenty relaxed to me.

God I wish he had a Hawaiian T-Shirt :swoon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Just ask Joe about it the next time he does the character.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
This mission was the hardest for me as a k- uh, 20-yr old.
Probably because my emotional response to having the poo poo kicked out of me by Yuri's forces was to do the same thing again but angrier.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Kain didn't disappear from the Red Alert universe, he's lounging in a Hawaiian shirt and bides his time.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

FoolyCharged posted:

I feel like ra2 hits the perfect balance of serious and goofy as all hell. The earlier entries are all a little too serious and then this one opens up with "drive friendly, the Texas way"

E: And "president Doo-gan" with his friend "sam, like uncle sam!"
Absolutely.

A youtuber I follow recently started a playthrough of this game with a huge mod called Rise of The East which adds a ton of stuff and does some "balancing". They've gone for a more realistic look for vehicles like tanks and honestly they look kinda crap, even though they've definitely put in a lot of effort and skill into the new models. It lets you use units from the expansion in the base campaigns (so I can't link to it :v: ) and with a much higher difficulty. For example just in the first allied mission the soviets were throwing hordes of infantry and even tanks at the base while a super powered up Tanya wrecked stuff. It looks pretty cool.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

gotta be honest with you that sounds terrible

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Kirov squad is a pretty solid victory strategy. I can't remember how I tackled this mission usually, but I had so many base defenses and it was just a constant war of attrition on both sides of the base.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Poil posted:

Absolutely.

A youtuber I follow recently started a playthrough of this game with a huge mod called Rise of The East which adds a ton of stuff and does some "balancing". They've gone for a more realistic look for vehicles like tanks and honestly they look kinda crap, even though they've definitely put in a lot of effort and skill into the new models. It lets you use units from the expansion in the base campaigns (so I can't link to it :v: ) and with a much higher difficulty. For example just in the first allied mission the soviets were throwing hordes of infantry and even tanks at the base while a super powered up Tanya wrecked stuff. It looks pretty cool.

I know the Red Resurrection mod also lets you play the RA2 campaign with its changes. RR is more vanilla in its look but definitely changes up the tech tree and gameplay a lot.

Mordja fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Sep 10, 2020

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Parked kirovs were how I beat that mission ages ago as well. But then I tended to turtle missions a bunch back then. It was actually RA2 that started to teach me to stop doing that, because of the "reward" of the par timer.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Slaan posted:

Maybe it's just nostalgia from a 13 year old but I really don't remember this mission being that hard. Sending a billion kirov up the left side of the map always worked for me.

Then again, I only played on normal as a kid :shrug:

Xarn posted:

I think that if you play your cards right, the starting two Kirovs can take out the power to Yuri's base, after which it gets much easier :v:

That's how I did it when the game first came out. Send the 2 starting Kirovs up the left side and it's a quick and easy victory.

A glorious strategy that is still used by the best commanders :ussr:

anilEhilated posted:

So I guess I'm the only one who really doesn't like Kirovs? The blimp design is cool but it's just soo...sloooow... If it had some range, say, as an airborne artillery platform, it would be so much more useful. And cooler.

Ya they are a neat gimmick but like you said, just too slow. Also iirc there is a global broadcast in multiplayer when one is built, so they don't even get the element of surprise.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Sep 10, 2020

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Well part of the fun of the Kirov is the global announcement causing your opponent to panic and build way too many AA units.

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

I replayed RA2 recently after finishing the remastered collection, and I was surprised that this mission actually made my decent modern system chug with all the units on the screen. Also, I play on lower difficulty levels, so I usually capture the two reactors on the plateau NE of the starting position, build a war factory between them, then ring the perimeter with tesla coils charged by troopers. They shave down the incoming waves a fair bit, and you build softer defenses at the northern and eastern approaches to your base to handle everyone who makes it through.

Finally, correct me if I'm wrong, but the initial ring of defenses around your starting position are controlled by the orange base to the northeast, right? IIRC worming a few Kirovs past the defenses along the eastern edge of the map will get you into their base and let you bomb out their construction yard, barracks, war factory, and reactors, which makes life a lot easier for you.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
To be 100% honest I dont know what any of the map looks lile outside of what was shown in the video. I had one failed attempt then went for the kirov play. Its also why i thought i could salvage it after the enemy kirovs start showing up.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

That's a shame because the map is pretty cool. But truthfully it's only the iron curtain and all the yuri that pose the challenge, all the units seem daunting but most of it is trash conscripts (just watch out for sneaky terror drones, that the AI sometimes iron curtains :v: ). If it weren't for them you could easily roll over the entire map using tanks. The enemy bases have pretty poor defenses once you get past the hordes. They absolutely do love the sandbag bunkers with a tesla coil and a pair of flak guns which makes it completely impossible to take them out with V3s. Worst part is that one or two of them reaches an orefield north of your base and slowly zap your harvesters to death.

Fangz posted:

Well part of the fun of the Kirov is the global announcement causing your opponent to panic and build way too many AA units.
If you make your opponent spend more money on AA than you spent on one kirov you're ahead. :)

Marshal Radisic posted:

I replayed RA2 recently after finishing the remastered collection, and I was surprised that this mission actually made my decent modern system chug with all the units on the screen.
That's 100% the game engine not being able to handle it.

Poil fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Sep 11, 2020

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002

Marshal Radisic posted:

Finally, correct me if I'm wrong, but the initial ring of defenses around your starting position are controlled by the orange base to the northeast, right? IIRC worming a few Kirovs past the defenses along the eastern edge of the map will get you into their base and let you bomb out their construction yard, barracks, war factory, and reactors, which makes life a lot easier for you.

This is how I finally beat the mission back in the day—all you have to do is take out the nuclear power plants on the eastern edge of the map, and that shuts down all the flak cannons between you and the Kremlin (it shuts down the Iron Curtain too). Then you can just send a couple Kirovs to leisurely float towards the Kremlin and win with very little hassle

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
This map is to the south of the Kremlin whereas the Allied final mission was to the north. Do we have a screenshot of the full map to compare the two?

We saw the Washington DC map reused with bases in roughly the same area, so it would be interesting to see if the devs used the same terrain for this one too.

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

Loxbourne posted:

This map is to the south of the Kremlin whereas the Allied final mission was to the north. Do we have a screenshot of the full map to compare the two?

We saw the Washington DC map reused with bases in roughly the same area, so it would be interesting to see if the devs used the same terrain for this one too.

If memory serves the maps don't match up. The only bit of geography the two maps share is the Kremlin and the brick walls, which have a different layout on each map.

Also, minor pro tip: bombing the hordes of Yuri clones that hang out near the cloning vats will rank up your Kirovs much faster than usual...assuming you can survive all the AA.

Poil posted:

That's 100% the game engine not being able to handle it.
I figured as much. I was thinking about how Factorio runs much smoother with way more animated sprites on the screen at once, but then I remembered that not only was Factorio built for modern systems, the devs spent all those years in early access optimizing the game to within an inch of its life specifically because it's the sort of game that encourages people to fill the screen with sprites.

Marshal Radisic fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Sep 11, 2020

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008
I think it's a combination of old 2d render APIs not running properly anymore and the fact that these games were not designed to be played at more than what, 640x480? 800x600?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Ive played at modern resolutions and it was fine for me, maybe i wasnt on the right mission.

Theres a diff problem with that stuff

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

By popular demand posted:

Kain didn't disappear from the Red Alert universe, he's lounging in a Hawaiian shirt and bides his time.

He's a gamer now.

https://twitter.com/PharaohOW/status/1304303819271155713

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.
That only makes me think of the Nod netrunners at the end of Tiberian Dawn.

The ones that got their heads fried.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

Hank Morgan posted:

That only makes me think of the Nod netrunners at the end of Tiberian Dawn.

The ones that got their heads fried.

the final word in anti-malware solutions

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

HannibalBarca posted:

the final word in DRM solutions

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer
Wow, hard mode on this map doesn't play around, that was a photo finish. Even on normal I remember this map being nasty though, and count me as someone who wished I had known about the whole Kirov spam was due to your building of a nuke silo. Still, just holding the line and then steamrolling Yuri's base with a good 18 or so Kirovs was how I beat it back in the day. As for Kirov's themselves, they are super fun to mass up into a death fleet, but honestly you probably could just as easily gotten the job done with the far more flexible Apoc. Tank instead. Still, nothing is more terrifying to hear then "Kirov reporting" on the global announcement.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I would say you really do not want apocalypse tanks with the amount of yuri on the field. With the AI's reaction speed it's extremely difficult to avoid one of your tanks getting controlled and going Onee-sama! before the rest of your group instantly blows it apart and their long reload time lets another one fall to yuri. You can quickly lose a lot of expensive tanks. Also iron curtained terror drones (cruel cruel AI).

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer
Oh I agree, this map is flat out designed to destroy a ground based army without mercy. Meant more in a general sense of Kirov spam vs Apoc. spam.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Soviet 12: Operation: Polar Storm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RQ1FA1KjaU
Operation: Polar Storm

With Yuri defeated, the Soviet forces have not only regained their senses, but are now poised to strike at the last remnants of the Allied forces. Sequestered at the very edge of Alaska, the Allies are still planning to strike at us with their foolish Chronosphere technology. Show them the might of the Soviet Union!

Considering the map we play on, it should probably have been at Wales, Alaska instead.

Objective: Destroy the Allied Chronosphere!

Briefing: We have found the last feeble Allied stronghold. Their Chronosphere, now fully operational, can move soldiers anywhere in the world. They can strike at us in New York, in Prague, even in Moscow. Yuri's files show the device is located near Point Hope, Alaska. You must take what few forces we have in the area and lead an attack, before the Allies make use of their cowardly technology. This is the final hour, commander. Glory awaits

Author's note: A fun mission, with a difficult start but nothing outright frustrating. The 3 Kirovs in the top-right is disappointing, as is the capturable Construction Yard location, but otherwise a good way to end a campaign.

*Note for future me and you: Somehow forgot about having the Nuclear Reactor and the Sensor in the last mission*

Name: Unknown
Aliases: None
Affiliation: Soviet
Voiced/Played by: Gabriella Bern

Reporter for ongoing celebrations at Moscow.

Name: Lt. Zofia
Aliases: None
Affiliation: Soviet
Voiced/Played by: Aleksandra Kaniak

Intelligence Officer to the Commander. Loyal until the end, she is the Commander's most trusted subordinate.

Iron Curtain
ARMOR: Concrete
COST: 2500
POWER USED: 200
PURPOSE: Superweapon

A fascinating piece of Soviet technology, the Iron Curtain allows you to make units and structures invulnerable for a short period of time. When ready and selected, the Iron Curtain will make all structures and units in a small area completely invulnerable to attack. Invulnerable units cannot be attacked by Terror Drones, but can still be mind-controlled. The force of the Iron Curtain will kill any infantry units it is used on. In this way, it can be used against enemy infantry as a weapon. When the Iron Curtain is built, all players are notified and the shroud above the device is removed for all players.

Author's Note: Capable of rendering any mechanical unit invincible for a short period of time, it allows an offensive to become a breakthrough. Also makes a nice bug zapper against any infantry caught within its effect.

Psychic Sensor
ARMOR: Concrete
COST: 100
POWER USED: 50
PURPOSE: Pseudo-Radar

Soviet research into psychic phenomena has resulted in the Psychic Sensor. When deployed, this device allows you to see the orders given to any enemy units planning to attack any friendly units or structures within the device’s radius. When built, the sensor shows the attack target when the target is within range of the Psychic Sensor.

Author's Note: Displays movement lines for any unit attempting to move near the Sensor, it allows a pseudo-precognition ability for the Commander.

Cloning Vats
ARMOR: Wood
COST: 2500
POWER USED: 200
PURPOSE: Overpowered Tech

A unique piece of Soviet technology, the Cloning Vat allows you to duplicate any infantry unit you create with your Barracks for free. Once you have built and placed a Cloning Vat, any unit you create in your Barracks will also produce an identical unit at the Cloning Vat.

Author's Note: Absolutely broken! Quickly flood the map with Conscripts, Dogs, Tesla Troopers, and Yuris, to eliminate your opponents.

Yuri Clone
RANGE: Medium
ARMOR: None
WEAPON: Spoons bent into absurd shapes
COST: 1200

The result of unique Soviet research, Yuri has the ability to mentally control most organic units and vehicles. When controlled, the enemy vehicle becomes, effectively, your unit, and you can order it to move and attack just as if you had built it yourself. If Yuri is killed, the connection with the enemy vehicle is broken and it returns to its original team. Yuri cannot control War-Miners, Chrono Miners, Attack Dogs, aircraft or other Yuri units. Yuri can also boil the minds of others with his mind-blowing attack. Simply double-click on him and watch surrounding infantry sizzle.

Author's Note: Potentially very broken, and doubly so when paired with the Cloning Vats. Provided they have air cover, there's little that can stand up to Yuri.

Aftermath:

Faster than Par Time: "History will name you among the greatest commanders that has ever lived. Now the world is yours to rule."

Slower than Par Time: "The Allies are beaten and the world is begging to be spared the carnage of your armed forces. Supreme power is yours alone."

Dale-Taco
Feb 19, 2009

Finally we get to the expansion. Yuri's revenge is peak C&C as far as im concerned. So much good stuff.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

Dale-Taco posted:

Finally we get to the expansion. Yuri's revenge is peak C&C as far as im concerned. So much good stuff.

100% agree, Yuri's Revenge is the height of the series imo. Really looking forward to it.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
Yuri's Revenge is real good, but for me the peak of the series is in the future still.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

How far along are we in terms of overall content? We just finished game 9/19 in the OP but I wonder if anything's significantly shorter or longer than the rest.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Guess I can finally quote this.

Radio Free Kobold posted:

Kirovs are the best and coolest unit in the entire game you should use them whenever you can

It's so weird you never really get to use them in a US-based cityscape, or any properly represented city for that matter, since the penultimate mission feels like it takes place out in the hicks.

And I can't wait for you to get to YR. I want to see if every single vehicle moves slower and clunkier than in the base game, making certain units next to useless against the AI, or if it's just me seeing things.

Wastrel_
Jun 3, 2004

Read it and weep.
Of course, once I got hold of a copy of rules.ini, the first thing I did was to raise the limit on Cloning Vats to 99999. The second thing was to proceed to make vast hordes of infantry to destroy all my enemies.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Wastrel_ posted:

Of course, once I got hold of a copy of rules.ini, the first thing I did was to raise the limit on Cloning Vats to 99999. The second thing was to proceed to make vast hordes of infantry to destroy all my enemies.

"They shall march out of my laboratory and sweep away every adversary, every creed, every nation, until the very planet is in the loving grip of the Pax Sovietica." :bisonyes:

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer
Ahh the final Soviet mission, it really does deliver, even on normal I remember having a heck of a time with it. Did love that as soon as the Psychic Sensor was built there was just a dozen attack lines pointed right at the nuke silo, really shows the AIs utter hate for Super Weapons. Really like the design and layout for this map to, it really stacks the odds against you, and rivals the destroy the Weather Control Machine mission in terms of looks. As for the whole "how can the Allies hope to win if this is all they have" do remember the final Allied campaign mission. Now imagine it with most Soviet forces not in Moscow, and yeah, having to deal with wack-a-mole across the world could be a major destabilizing issue if the Allies were not pin pointed by Yuri. Anyway, wish I had known you could have just barely tagged the Chronosphere with targeted ground Dreadnoughts, I always just build a fleet of Kirov's and went up the left side of the map, and honestly didn't think to use a pack of Yuri's to counter the chronoed in units.

Greatly looking forward to YR though, utterly loved that expansion, outside of one tiny detail anyway. Hopefully with the success of the TD/RA1 remaster, TS/RA2 will get similar treatment down the line.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
I gotta say, Jobbo, I'm really impressed that you've been sticking with this LP concept so far. It's probably one of the coolest ideas someone's had yet, to play the entirety of such a long-running franchise.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

You can slug your way through with apocalypse tanks and it's not too difficult. Perhaps not the most exciting way however since the allied bases are about 90% power plants and they don't have that many defensive units.

It's relatively easy to keep the allied construction yard alive, if you used a few V3s to blow up the prism tower because you knew about it ahead of time. :v:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

NGDBSS posted:

How far along are we in terms of overall content? We just finished game 9/19 in the OP but I wonder if anything's significantly shorter or longer than the rest.

I honestly have no clue how to answer this, especially because, at some point I will also be diving head-first into mods. There's a trailer drop in the next video, which should be exciting, and after that game, I may take a break from the actual story games to explore third-party content. There'll be a poll to decide what route the thread wishes to go.

THE BAR posted:

It's so weird you never really get to use them in a US-based cityscape, or any properly represented city for that matter, since the penultimate mission feels like it takes place out in the hicks.

And I can't wait for you to get to YR. I want to see if every single vehicle moves slower and clunkier than in the base game, making certain units next to useless against the AI, or if it's just me seeing things.

Yeah it definitely feels like there's a cityscape mission to destroy stuff and force the allies to surrender, similar to the Tiberian Sun Firestorm mission where you have to save civilians. Though maybe the theme of RA2, being less dire in general, is less suited for that sort of representation.

As for slower or clunkier stuff. :shrug: Haven't really noticed anything off-hand.

PurpleXVI posted:

I gotta say, Jobbo, I'm really impressed that you've been sticking with this LP concept so far. It's probably one of the coolest ideas someone's had yet, to play the entirety of such a long-running franchise.

Thanks! There's been a few on the forums, such as the "Let's Play 25 Years of DOOM", "Let's Play X Years of Final Fantasy", Nine-Gear-Crow's ACE COMBAT threads, and a few others. I wish I could credit all of them properly, but I think a few are abandoned, sadly. Regardless, seeing those threads and a general lack of Command and Conquer LPs really made me want to explore this entire series again in a way that I only casually did in my youth. Also gives me an excuse to finally play a couple of the entries as well!

Poil posted:

You can slug your way through with apocalypse tanks and it's not too difficult. Perhaps not the most exciting way however since the allied bases are about 90% power plants and they don't have that many defensive units.

It's relatively easy to keep the allied construction yard alive, if you used a few V3s to blow up the prism tower because you knew about it ahead of time. :v:

There's also all the chrono'ed units which will shoot at it, although I forget it they make it a priority.

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

Poil posted:

If you're really worried about that construction yard, you can make another one at the starting island once you have both an allied war factory and service depot. At that point there's not even a need to have any forces on the main continent, just build a nuke silo and a weather control device and use both at the Chronosphere simultaneously - nothing survives that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I honestly have no clue how to answer this, especially because, at some point I will also be diving head-first into mods. There's a trailer drop in the next video, which should be exciting, and after that game, I may take a break from the actual story games to explore third-party content. There'll be a poll to decide what route the thread wishes to go.

That's no small feat, considering some of the mods have more missions than the originals. Have you played those campaigns or are you going in fresh? Or are you just planning on dabbling?