Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
I've seen screenshots floating around of spymasters catching themselves plotting against you, which I'm sure is indicative of something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!
Can somebody point me in the right direction as to what I should be doing with intrigue/seduction? My heir was all in on it and apart from banging a bunch of people randomly I'm not sure how to make it work to my benefit.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

I've seen screenshots floating around of spymasters catching themselves plotting against you, which I'm sure is indicative of something.

also your spymaster catching you plotting against yourself to fabricate a claim on your own title

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

Excelzior posted:

also your spymaster catching you plotting against yourself to fabricate a claim on your own title

My spymaster did catch me attempting to romance my wife once, which I'm sure was incredibly scandalous.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Some of the council interactions are a little busted

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Is war contribution bugged for wars that you are called into by an ally? I've done most of the heavy lifting in a couple of defensive wars to keep my dynasty on a nearby throne, but have gotten 0% contribution both times.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

PittTheElder posted:

If they hold duchy titles but are also entitled to counties, it will try to give them counties within the duchy they hold.

As I have wailed and gnashed my teeth about a couple of times before: it will happily give them all the counties, leaving your primary heir with zero counties. It shares out top level titles first, and any counties within them follow along, never mind what is equitable.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Broken Cog posted:

Some of the council interactions are a little busted

There's nothing wrong with liking yourself every once in a while.

pogothemonkey0
Oct 13, 2005

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

eleven extra elephants posted:

Can somebody point me in the right direction as to what I should be doing with intrigue/seduction? My heir was all in on it and apart from banging a bunch of people randomly I'm not sure how to make it work to my benefit.

If you're trying to assassinate someone, you can seduce someone in their court to bring them in as an agent -- their spouse or spymaster, for example. That can be the deciding factor in whether a lot of assassination attempts are even viable so it's pretty helpful if you're trying to kill people. Also, I'm not sure on the details, but I think I read that lovers won't declare war on you or join factions against you so you can seduce some of your vassals to keep your realm stable. Still, you're probably risking getting the fornicator/adulterer trait or people getting hooks on you so I'm not sure how useful it all is. This is kind of a small benefit but it can be useful if you're looking for inheritable traits to seduce someone then invite them to court.

I was having fun just seducing random traited people fishing for worthy heirs but all of the secret hooks and eventually the lovers pox put an end to that.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
It's so loving annoying that every time I come to play my heir their heir is off in some other court and is a different religion or different culture.
Yea I know you can swap back but I just wish it wouldn't happen quite so often.

Especially since you can only disinherit people who're actually in your court.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

Excelzior posted:

It wouldn't be Crusader Kings without events of people scheming against/incriminating themselves.

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.
Is there a way to tell if your allies will join a war before you declare it (it's very clear in the EU4 UI, but don't see it here).

Also, re: inheriting claims. I'm an Irish petty king and one of my wives (William's daughter) has pressed claims on England and a bunch of territories therein. But my children with her are not inheriting those claims. My guesses is that England has high crown authority so people outside the realm can't inherit. Is there a way to check another realm's authority/laws? Or perhaps it's a limit on secondary spouses.

sloppy portmanteau
Feb 4, 2019

Bold Robot posted:

Is war contribution bugged for wars that you are called into by an ally? I've done most of the heavy lifting in a couple of defensive wars to keep my dynasty on a nearby throne, but have gotten 0% contribution both times.

This happens to me too but seems to only be in liberty wars. Wars for claims always give contribution.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

I want to create a custom religion with free love tenets, Lustful as a virtue and temporal head of faith and call it Migrainism, because there's a constant pounding in my temples.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Lost my second son because I gave him a county, he immediately got a mild illness, and his Court Physician wounded him, chopped his leg off and disfigured him in a botched treatment. Died at the age of 19.

Shame I never got to catch who his physician was.

Ssthalar
Sep 16, 2007

Jedit posted:

I want to create a custom religion with free love tenets, Lustful as a virtue and temporal head of faith and call it Migrainism, because there's a constant pounding in my temples.

:drat:

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009

AG3 posted:

It wouldn't be Crusader Kings without events of people scheming against/incriminating themselves.

Personally I'm confused by the folks who's secrets I find are that...they are their own parent? And I can blackmail them over it? It's very strange.

Who wants anime + click to kill interactions? I have no idea why this in particular showed up in my feed. Apparently it's based on some Chinese mobile game? I dunno.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2226775390

canada jezus
Jul 18, 2011

Broken Cog posted:

Lost my second son because I gave him a county, he immediately got a mild illness, and his Court Physician wounded him, chopped his leg off and disfigured him in a botched treatment. Died at the age of 19.

Shame I never got to catch who his physician was.

Oooooh is it lovely physicians maiming all of my boys? I hadn't even considered this.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Still buttmad about Kingdom of Bohemia silently switching from House Seniority to Male-Preference Partition when I got a culturally Hungarian king. Is this working as intended?

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Arglebargle III posted:

Still buttmad about Kingdom of Bohemia silently switching from House Seniority to Male-Preference Partition when I got a culturally Hungarian king. Is this working as intended?

If Hungarian culture doesn't have House Seniority succession, then yes I think so. At any rate that's how it worked in CK2, if you had Celtic tanistry for example you had to make very sure no Saxons inherited.

Mind you in those days cultural transference was a benefit of a Learning education, and that has enough other benefits now I think.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Bold Robot posted:

Yeah, although it doesn't really matter because the ally reward is always just a tiny pittance of prestige.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Arglebargle III posted:

Yes. You only get seniority from a Czech innovation.

You can culture convert if your capital is still Czech and change it back to seniority.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
It's incredible that there isn't an option somewhere to just forbid heirs from being knights by default. Usually for direct children I remember to forbid them when they come of age but for grandchildren I often don't even know they exist.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

Gobblecoque posted:

It's incredible that there isn't an option somewhere to just forbid heirs from being knights by default. Usually for direct children I remember to forbid them when they come of age but for grandchildren I often don't even know they exist.

Or yourself. I'm not even sure if you CAN forbid yourself from leading armies. As far as I can tell all you can do is switch commander's off you every time?

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

If I am the king of England and I have a duchy outside England, can I grant that person independence? I am still salty about my entire family turning on me and I’m focusing in on the duke of Normandy who provides most of the troops. Didn’t even want stupid Normandy. I just wanted to chill in England and raise sheep.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Trevor Hale posted:

If I am the king of England and I have a duchy outside England, can I grant that person independence? I am still salty about my entire family turning on me and I’m focusing in on the duke of Normandy who provides most of the troops. Didn’t even want stupid Normandy. I just wanted to chill in England and raise sheep.

As long as you're not their de jure liege I believe you can grant any vassal independence.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

Magil Zeal posted:

As long as you're not their de jure liege I believe you can grant any vassal independence.

Do you know where the button is for that? I clicked around everywhere and didn’t see it. But also my guy had a diplomacy of 1 so I am guessing he had some stuff locked

Incelshok Na
Jul 2, 2020

by Hand Knit
Just become king of France and give him the king tier title. Emperor of Francia if you are Emperor of Britannia.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Trevor Hale posted:

Do you know where the button is for that? I clicked around everywhere and didn’t see it. But also my guy had a diplomacy of 1 so I am guessing he had some stuff locked

Should just be in the right-click diplomacy settings.

If he has land in your De Jure England it might not let you set him free. Revoke some English counties from him and see if that helps.

Kagon
Jan 25, 2005

Veryslightlymad posted:

PARADOX, it has been decades of you making games.

How is it that we still can't make our own colors for our custom empires? Why would I want my custom empire to be the color of Sweden, which is also the color of Scandinavia, which my neighbors are extremely likely to form now that they don't need the parts that I already have. Why would I want those to be the same color?

Also, why does a custom empire not have any crown whatsoever? Becoming an emperor, you just decide "gently caress crowns entirely!" instead of................... ah, forget it. I'm tired.

All I want is a change my kingdom/emperor/whatever color function. I refuse to be ugly Hispania yellow when I could be that really nice Kanem-Bornu blue.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Gobblecoque posted:

That's not very livres d'argent of you.

kiss me Pikachu
Mar 9, 2008

Gobblecoque posted:

Yeah, although it doesn't really matter because the ally reward is always just a tiny pittance of prestige.

I mostly miss the big relationship boost with the ally when you do the heavy lifting, although at least I have not had them call me out for “not participating” after multiple bugged intra-empire wars I was called into.

I have 10 kids, conquered a ton of neighbors and landed all the younger children, had the inheritance all lined up and then my daughter in law’s father died and she inherited a single county in the middle of being conquered in Spain, dragging my primary heir and my granddaughter into a castle months away from being captured. So naturally the daughter dies in the fight, my heir is captured and is being tortured by a lovely two county minor while I can’t do anything about it despite outnumbering everyone but the Byzantine empire.

Also ran into fun times when a character my second son was betrothed to was in the prison of one of my vassals that was in a stalemate and my only choice is to send gifts to the betrothed family and hope they cared enough to ransom their daughter and that my vassal would accept a ransom? Some jailbreak schemes or the ability to ransom characters not in your court would definitely be appreciated.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
So I take it that Zunism has the same issue as Hellenism where there's not really any easy way to convert to it since it's considered a dead religion?

strong bird
May 12, 2009

Trevor Hale posted:

its in the same category as grant title under the extended options thing. also you cant be at war

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

So I'm now emperor of Alba, and I just had my daughter marry the 2nd in line to the throne of the Byzantine Empire and the emperor accepted a matrilineal marriage. Then I murdered the first in line to the throne, while somehow mapping out the surrounding area myself. So basically, I personally went to Constantinople, did some surveying, then sailed back home in the span of a month.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
The "Elope" scheme understandably makes you divorce your current spouse if you have one, which, yeah. You can only have one spouse.

.....but if you're a religion that allows for multiple spouses, it will force you to divorce all of them, even if you have spaces free. I can understand assigning your soulmate to the primary spouse role, but..... Also, you can't elope outside your religious group.

BUT.... better than elopement, just invite the romanced character to your court, then you can just marry them for free.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Can't marry them if they're married to someone else, elope fixes that little problem.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Broken Cog posted:

So I take it that Zunism has the same issue as Hellenism where there's not really any easy way to convert to it since it's considered a dead religion?

Zunism, Hellenism and pure Paganism are dead so yeah, you're looking at about 30k. Get to sacrificin'

...or train some kind of super-scribe with 80+ Learning

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Broken Cog posted:

Can't marry them if they're married to someone else, elope fixes that little problem.

True, but you can definitely break a betrothal with my method. It's just funny.

"Oh, no, honey! I can't marry you! You're a Christian!"
"Come over here and say that"
>Walks over< "I said I can't---"
"Marry Me."
"Oh, my darling! YES. I've never been happier than on this day!"

And you even get a pop-up message on finally being wedded to your soulmate.

So yeah. You should be able to elope outside of religions. It's stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

The ai makes some dumb decisions about marriages. Besides the fact that women basically never marry matrilineally even when it would make sense, a lot of people that are heirs to titles just marry old infertile women which kind of doesn't make sense, even if you get a good alliance it's kinda risky to delay having kids

But what would I know, I have like 6 sons from 25 to 0 years of age and a bunch of daughters

Also, there should be a warning or something for the fact that you can't embrace celibacy if you're a seducer. I got the perk and later found out it is useless to me :(