Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Yeah, can confirm that that movie loving rules, had to buy that immediately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken
Hey hey hey hey hey, Drop Dead Gorgeous is finally getting a blu-ray release.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Vagabundo posted:

Hey hey hey hey hey, Drop Dead Gorgeous is finally getting a blu-ray release.

I distinctly remember this being the last time I got up to piss during a movie, with the exception of a couple movies I already saw. I remember nothing else about the movie.

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.

ultraviolence123 posted:

Are the Sony MOD titles like Warner Archive, or am I just buying a burned disc? I want to pick up The Squeeze and Rubin & Ed, but I'm not really feeling spending $23 each if it's the equivalent of a downloaded HD rip.

I bought Rubin & Ed and I can confirm it's a pressed disc.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

What’s the generally accepted solution for region free players these days? Picked up a few blu-rays from Arrow a little while ago and while some of them are region free, others are locked to region two.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

FrumpleOrz posted:

I bought Rubin & Ed
This dude knows what's up.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

ultraviolence123 posted:

Are the Sony MOD titles like Warner Archive, or am I just buying a burned disc? I want to pick up The Squeeze and Rubin & Ed, but I'm not really feeling spending $23 each if it's the equivalent of a downloaded HD rip.

Both Sony and Universal "MOD" discs are just like Warner Archive. Actual pressed discs, but they usually have cheap packaging.

Sony is especially safe because their masters are usually at bare minimum a really good mid-2000s 1080p and at best a full 4K. For example, Robin and Marian is from a 4K remaster completely without note.

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.

caligulamprey posted:

This dude knows what's up.

My cat can eat a whole watermelon!

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Egbert Souse posted:

Both Sony and Universal "MOD" discs are just like Warner Archive. Actual pressed discs, but they usually have cheap packaging.

Sony is especially safe because their masters are usually at bare minimum a really good mid-2000s 1080p and at best a full 4K. For example, Robin and Marian is from a 4K remaster completely without note.

I know a lot of nerds scream bloody murder if every single disc isn't absolutely beyond Criterion level quality, but I'll perfectly well settle for anything in the "Best this has ever looked on home video" category.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

https://www.amazon.com/Spider-Man-2-Blu-ray/dp/B07557RYDL/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=spider-man+4k&qid=1600005920&sr=8-1

Anybody have this set? I'm mighty tempted, but the reviews say really conflicting things on the 4k master

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Kino Lorber just announced they're releasing Spaceballs on UHD.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Egbert Souse posted:

That'll be a day one for me, strangely the oy copy of Spaceballs I've ever owned was copied from a rental.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

That’s an interesting choice. Was quite fun listening to the Newcomers podcast where Nicole Byer and Lauren Lapkus watched the Star Wars movies for the first time, and included Spaceballs at the end. It does not seem like a movie that hits well in 2020 if you didn’t grow up with it. I still love it though.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Egbert Souse posted:

ah so they're doin the lords work. good on em.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

EL BROMANCE posted:

It does not seem like a movie that hits well in 2020 if you didn’t grow up with it. I still love it though.
Probably true. I got some things I missed while watching as a kid (Princess Vespa's Mercedes C-class spaceship, that the King got from his cousin Murray in the valley for cheap).

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

You nerds probably already know this but if not the Criterion Collection is releasing Crash.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

The one about how cops who rape are secretly okay guys because sometimes they actually do their loving jobs. Not that stupid one with the cars or something.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Are you loving kidding me

oneforthevine
Sep 25, 2015

TheScott2K posted:

Yes, I assume. (They’re releasing the Cronenberg one.)

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
It's the Cronenberg film. And finally!

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Guess I’m double dipping on the 4K and the Criterion

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

TheScott2K posted:

Yes, of course.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Alright, well, good. You got me.

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

TheScott2K posted:

Alright, well, good. You got me.

It’s important to recognize that it’s a possibility, especially in 2020. Matt Dillon commentary track FTW

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

It won Best Picture. That poo poo happened.

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

TheScott2K posted:

Can’t let the movie about gays succeed over the movie about racism.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

TheScott2K posted:

I never saw it, but I heard it actually sucked

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
As a matter of fact, I have never seen any movies titled "Crash"

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Iron Crowned posted:

As a matter of fact, I have never seen any movies titled "Crash"

The Cronenberg one rules. James Spader has sex with Roseanna Arquette's leg wound and makes out with Casey Jones from the Ninja turtles movie.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Alec Eiffel posted:

Can’t let the movie about gays succeed over the movie about racism.

That movie sucks too and is also just another liberal wank piece. "Oh woooow, we're so progressive because he liked that movie about homos. I mean sure our industry has spent decades making sure queer voices never make it to the mainstream but wasn't it sad how Oscar bait gays played by straight actors died from a hate crime and/or AIDS again.".

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Vince MechMahon posted:

The Cronenberg one rules. James Spader has sex with Roseanna Arquette's leg wound and makes out with Casey Jones from the Ninja turtles movie.

I’m pretty sure it was the latter that sent the UK press into a tizz about it, while using the former as the excuse as to why.

Wild film tho, it’s essentially a Red Shoes Diary esque softcore thriller done to an extreme.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

https://www.siliconera.com/akira-4k-and-paranoia-agent-blu-rays-launch-in-december-2020/

Akira 4k and Paranoia Agent blu ray.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

I want these, but $45-$60 is too much for a blu ray. :(

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I'll only buy Akira if it's got that 80s ninja turtle-sounding dub where they keep screaming their names at each other.

ham_sanitizer
Jul 12, 2014

professional swine bather
i got the ghost in the shell 4K for $20 and it rocks

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Akira came out in Japan (I believe) already and didn’t get great reviews with regards to the difference between it and the existing Blu-ray. So if it’s the same scan as that and you have it already, eh maybe not worth bothering.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

still pre-ordered. maybe it might work out and funimation can do some other work on it.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

I'll only buy Akira if it's got that 80s ninja turtle-sounding dub where they keep screaming their names at each other.

Man, I love that old Streamline dub. Probably sounds like 80s ninja turtles because Kaneda was voiced by Cam Clarke (Leonardo in the 80s TMNT cartoon).

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

/* heavy breathing */

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

EL BROMANCE posted:

I’m pretty sure it was the latter that sent the UK press into a tizz about it, while using the former as the excuse as to why.

Wild film tho, it’s essentially a Red Shoes Diary esque softcore thriller done to an extreme.

Yeah one of the last films to get a BAN THIS FILTH controversy going in the UK. Like the BBFC came under fire for NOT denying it a certificate.

As a result it's probably better known there than in the US where the distributor just sorta threw it out there.