Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

My partner is using my old g15 for WFH and it's hilarious. It's wider than her shoulders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

luchajones
Jan 28, 2018

I have no beard, and I must scream
Just go the Keychron K8. I replaced the Gateron Blues with some Box Navy's. Pretty nice compared to my Corsair mechs. I love the loud clicking from these switches.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

VelociBacon posted:

My partner is using my old g15 for WFH and it's hilarious. It's wider than her shoulders.

My housemate has been using the same G15 since 2005. It occasionally has minor failures but he has two nearly complete parts keyboards (formerly mine and an ex-housemate's) so he can just keep it going.

If society still exists in 2030 there's a good chance he'll still be using this keyboard.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.

wolrah posted:

My housemate has been using the same G15 since 2005. It occasionally has minor failures but he has two nearly complete parts keyboards (formerly mine and an ex-housemate's) so he can just keep it going.

If society still exists in 2030 there's a good chance he'll still be using this keyboard.

I remember thinking it was the poo poo and I remember getting a g15 v2 and thinking it was garbage and had terrible key feel and gave it to my friend, those were more innocent times. I wonder if it's bigger than a model m, the v1 that is.

mewse
May 2, 2006

G15 was worth it for the ventrilo display that showed who was talking. Still don't have a decent replacement when I'm playing WoW classic, the discord overlay is total crap

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

mewse posted:

G15 was worth it for the ventrilo display that showed who was talking. Still don't have a decent replacement when I'm playing WoW classic, the discord overlay is total crap
I loved mine for years for the ability to use LCDStudio to create fully custom layouts with basically whatever info I wanted to pull in. Unfortunately LCDStudio never really made the Vista/x64 transition properly and was abandoned in 2007. LCDSirReal was decent enough as a replacement (and gained the ability to use the buttons near the LCD for useful things) but not nearly as flexible.

I kind of wish addon LCD info displays for PCs were still a thing like they used to be, but I'd imagine the universal ability for modern PCs to drive multiple monitors and their relatively low cost makes it usually make more sense to just add a whole screen to run whatever you want there.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
I remember having a pretty cool winamp app that had bouncing vu bars poo poo was all I needed, I also just found that half keyboard with the same screen the g13, it feels better than the g15v1, still pretty bad though.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
I'm still trying to figure out how I'll replace my G13 when it dies. I hear the appropriate Razer product sucks rear end. I may end up getting something like a Moonlander and just not using the right side.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
Just popping in to remind everyone how good Hako/Kailh Box Clears are.
Spent the week typing on Cherry Blacks and NK Creams and just swapped out my office and home boards for boards that are loaded up with Hako Clears and oof it feels so good.

Also, in light of Glorious dropping the trademark application for 'Holy Pandas' Drop decided to swoop in and trademark the name.
https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/isa2jt/in_typical_mass_drop_fashion_looks_like_they/
https://trademarks.justia.com/901/59/holy-90159778.html

I mean I guess at this point they didn't really have a choice but to do it? Glorious making a move for the name originally sort of puts them into a position where they have to do it to 'protect the name' in case anyone else decides to do the same in the future.
The whole thing is still dumb though.

mewse
May 2, 2006

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Just popping in to remind everyone how good Hako/Kailh Box Clears are.
Spent the week typing on Cherry Blacks and NK Creams and just swapped out my office and home boards for boards that are loaded up with Hako Clears and oof it feels so good.

Also, in light of Glorious dropping the trademark application for 'Holy Pandas' Drop decided to swoop in and trademark the name.
https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/isa2jt/in_typical_mass_drop_fashion_looks_like_they/
https://trademarks.justia.com/901/59/holy-90159778.html

I mean I guess at this point they didn't really have a choice but to do it? Glorious making a move for the name originally sort of puts them into a position where they have to do it to 'protect the name' in case anyone else decides to do the same in the future.
The whole thing is still dumb though.

It's just really lovely to take a nickname the community came up with and then try to make it your exclusive trademark.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
Obviously the solution is to make your switch name sound dumb enough that no company wants to trademark it.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

Constellation I posted:

Obviously the solution is to make your switch name sound dumb enough that no company wants to trademark it.

considering the origin of Glorious's full name, I'm not sure this is possible

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

I made the mistake of wanting a new keyboard. Apparently I can't get enough of that feeling of finally finding something you like/want and being unable to easily acquire it as the group buy was months/years/whatever ago. Kind of a mix between disappointment/annoyance. I mean I don't need a cyberboard with c3 tangerines and gmk laser but I kind of do.

On another somewhat related note is anyone interested in a White Fox with zealios? Probably won't sell it soon due to a lack of a replacement but would be curious about interest.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Duck and Cover posted:

I made the mistake of wanting a new keyboard. Apparently I can't get enough of that feeling of finally finding something you like/want and being unable to easily acquire it as the group buy was months/years/whatever ago. Kind of a mix between disappointment/annoyance. I mean I don't need a cyberboard with c3 tangerines and gmk laser but I kind of do.

On another somewhat related note is anyone interested in a White Fox with zealios? Probably won't sell it soon due to a lack of a replacement but would be curious about interest.

Ouch dude you managed to hit all three soft spots all in one go...

I'll be honest of all the things you listed, the Cyberboard was the one I thought would be least likely to materialize.
I wouldn't be surprised if it shows up before my Kiwis do.

Whitefox? I like high profile sides, sorry.
Speaking of new keebs though, Novelkeys is about to restock on NK65s.
I was full-on going to get the NK65 Milkshake edition, but now I'm sorta thinking I might just pick up an eWhite Aluminum one instead.
I've got plenty of switches, and I've got a bunch of keycaps on order that are gonna need a home soon so really the last thing I need is another complete board.
But then again it's only like $200 and it comes with everything and I really wanna try out silks...

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.

Duck and Cover posted:

I made the same mistake in wanting a KBD67 MKII, but at least it's nowhere near as unobtanium as what you've settled on :sweatdrop: Many goondolences.

If only the White Fox didn't have that split backspace, I'd totally be interested :(

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Gats N Party Hats :toot:
If you really want the essence of the mkii I have a space pcb with a non working right column.

You can look at the pretty lights or something idk

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

HappyCapybaraFamily posted:

I made the same mistake in wanting a KBD67 MKII, but at least it's nowhere near as unobtanium as what you've settled on :sweatdrop: Many goondolences.

If only the White Fox didn't have that split backspace, I'd totally be interested :(

Oh I don't care all that much it's just I'd prefer being able to buy a keyboard instead of waiting for something I actually like to exist/be available. It's not so much the waiting as it is keeping apprised of options until one I like pops up. I mean I know that's the way for these things, but that doesn't mean I'm capable of predicting my desire for a new keyboard half a year ahead of time.

My White Fox has a full backspace or at least I think it's a full backspace. It's also missing a screw on the plate and the usb port isn't aligned properly and the leds were never installed but I should have them floating around somewhere.

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real
I don't know if this is haram in keyboard enthusiast circles but is there a nice compact keyboard with media keys similar to what the Corsair k70 has? Built in Stop/Previous/Play/Forward and a scroll wheel for volume? I love those media keys. TKL is fine, I use the keypad every so often and I'm glad it's there when I do but I can get used to not having it. I have the k70 right now but it's getting long in the tooth and I think I might prefer something ever so slightly clickier than the MX Browns that are in it. Plus a bit of extra desk space from ditching the keypad. Bonus if there's something with a USB slot I can plug my mouse into.

Many apologies if I've barged in and asked very stupid questions. Keyboards are a little intimidating and I don't understand half of what any of you are saying at any given time after browsing the thread.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I worship the ground NinjaPablo walks on
Something you can get off the shelf (or, well, Amazon) today:

Logitech G915 TKL Wireless. It isn't cheap, at 230 bucks msrp.

Steelseries Apex 7 TKL, where you can choose what switches, is a more reasonable-ish 130.

Corsair makes the K63, and it has media keys but no roller. It is also out of production, so prices are all over the place.

Redragon makes a bunch, all in the 40-80 price range. The K596 has a volume roller with media keys, and macro keys. It's a reasonable 70 bucks (red switches on it).

For full size, Steelseries makes their Apex Pro and it has a volume rocker, but the media keys are layered. The top one also reportedly has switches that allow you to adjust the actuation point.

Corsair is still making the K70, and the K95 is usually well reviewed.

Really, there are quite a few options out there if you want dedicated media keys for both TKL and full size.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012
At the other end of the, uh, spectrum, my preonic has media keys (play/vol up/down/next) in a function layer by default and if you care to do some customization you can add anything you wish, including a volume knob

Ewen Cluney
May 8, 2012

Ask me about
Japanese elfgames!
I finally got the Gergoplex Heavy I ordered from g Heavy Industries, and after spending a few hours messing with the firmware I've started using it as the main keyboard on my desktop. It relies a ton on layers, plus it has more of an ortholinear layout, so it's taking some getting used to, but it legit feels good to type on.

https://twitter.com/nekoewen/status/1305538006636404743

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT

Ewen Cluney posted:

I finally got the Gergoplex Heavy I ordered from g Heavy Industries, and after spending a few hours messing with the firmware I've started using it as the main keyboard on my desktop. It relies a ton on layers, plus it has more of an ortholinear layout, so it's taking some getting used to, but it legit feels good to type on.

https://twitter.com/nekoewen/status/1305538006636404743

Can I get a video of you using all those keyboards as if it was a hacker scene?

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Ringo Star Get posted:

Can I get a video of you using all those keyboards as if it was a hacker scene?

So instead of a nice full sized keyboard you have all of THAT?!

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:
:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:

GOD I LOVE ZEALIOS. I am still looking for excuses to type on this board. Also in the interim I put 2 layers of o-rings on my spacebar and while it sticks up a tiny bit above the other keys on the bottom row (e: fixed that by putting them on everything else on the bottom row too), it's muuuuch quieter.

Debating whether I want to give Drop money for the Magicforce numpad. They don't really have any interesting switch options available for it, but gosh $34-46 sure sits better with me than spending $99+ on the GK21 + switches I actually want... What do y'all think of Gateron Greens vs Cherry MX Whites? Haven't tried the latter but these 2 seem like the best (read: heaviest) options they have.

Stroop There It Is fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Sep 16, 2020

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I don’t think I could ever go back to non ortho non split keyboards again just because my back doesn’t feel pinched when I type from squeezing my shoulders together

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

learning to touch type on a moonlander is going well, but i feel like it won't translate to regular keyboards due to the ortholinear keys. interested in how my muscle memory starts devolving for my hybrid typing style. i don't know when i'll be coding on the moonlander though. that seems far away.

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
Hello, I'm looking for a really silent keyboard and I'll be down to mod it or whatever if I have to. I been using a tomoko mmc023 which I realized is really loud. Do you guys have any recommendations? I'm new and it seems pretty daunting to search for recommendations. I prefer no numpad and no rgb lights.

Maybe I can just mod my current keyboard?

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

KidDynamite posted:

learning to touch type on a moonlander is going well, but i feel like it won't translate to regular keyboards due to the ortholinear keys. interested in how my muscle memory starts devolving for my hybrid typing style. i don't know when i'll be coding on the moonlander though. that seems far away.

prepare to type c v and b wrong for the rest of your life

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

poe meater posted:

Hello, I'm looking for a really silent keyboard and I'll be down to mod it or whatever if I have to. I been using a tomoko mmc023 which I realized is really loud. Do you guys have any recommendations? I'm new and it seems pretty daunting to search for recommendations. I prefer no numpad and no rgb lights.

Maybe I can just mod my current keyboard?

I've been using a Night Typist with Silent Red switches and have been pretty happy with it. Though, it's a full-size, the leds are a soft white with adjustable brightness or can be turned off completely. I've had no complaints from the light sleeper in my life who complained about my typing noise on my old Logitech rubber dome keyboard.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

prepare to type c v and b wrong for the rest of your life

100% this.

I get incredibly annoyed when moving back to non ortho keyboards due this.

Copy/paste basically becomes your biggest nightmare.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Bind them to some mouse buttons. Like seriously, it's great.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
If anyone wants an in stock GMK set, KONO.store has 16 sets of GMK Triumph Adler leftover from the og 2015 group buy. I picked one up last night because it has row 5 and I'm gonna need some usable keycaps for all these boards that are due to arrive months before my keycaps do.

https://kono.store/collections/keycap-sets/products/gmk-triumph-adler-original

I really hope it's legit extras they just stumbled upon in some warehouse cleaning and not like rejects or something.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

I have an Epomaker SK71 coming today and I’m don’t know if I’m ready for a keypad-equipped board with layers necessary to use an apostrophe.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
oof yeah that's a weird fuckin board. That's really the one thing holding me back from 40% I use my brackets, slashes, apostrophe and quotes way too much to layer that comfortably.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Local cleaning-out-grandmas-house sale has an 84 model m with no cable for $100 and a 92 with cable for $30. Theyll need a cleaning, but ebay prices are all over the place, whadaya say, should I grab em?

They've also got a couple vintage apple keyboards but I don't know if I'm in the mood to go cleaning and reselling.

E: it was an 86 and missing the 'v' keycap. I think I'll take my $30 model m and be happy

Fantastic Foreskin fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Sep 19, 2020

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

oof yeah that's a weird fuckin board. That's really the one thing holding me back from 40% I use my brackets, slashes, apostrophe and quotes way too much to layer that comfortably.

It’s a fun board so far but definitely weird. I’d like to see if I can adjust the layers to where I can move what’s on what layer. I use the apostrophe and quotes more than brackets and slashes for work.

At the very least I’d keep it as a portable work board since it’s still nice and small.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Some Goon posted:

Local cleaning-out-grandmas-house sale has an 84 model m with no cable for $100 and a 92 with cable for $30. Theyll need a cleaning, but ebay prices are all over the place, whadaya say, should I grab em?

They've also got a couple vintage apple keyboards but I don't know if I'm in the mood to go cleaning and reselling.

E: it was an 86 and missing the 'v' keycap. I think I'll take my $30 model m and be happy

Hell yes you should grab the 86 anyway.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Eric the Mauve posted:

Hell yes you should grab the 86 anyway.

There was actually a surprising amount of vintage computer hardware, including a IIgs with keyboard and monitor for $400, an amiga of some sort and some other commodore machine, a handful of monitors, and all sorts of drives and whatnot. Also than pen thing LGR showed a while back.

If they're still around when they discount everything tomorrow I'll probably pick up a bunch of stuff, but I don't really collect, nor do I have space to do what with them besides stick them in my attic.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
You'll doubtless be able to sell the thing as-is for the $100/less you'll pay for it, if you don't want to deal with it, and you'll be doing mankind a service by stopping it from getting thrown away :sun:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Oh, I'm not going to let it get thrown away, but if someone else wants it in the meantime they can have it. Depending on what's left I'm thinking I'll make a bulk offer on the unsold computer equipment when they wrap up tomorrow.