Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
MOTN
This poll is closed.
Jurassic Bros vs Lucha Express 12 15.38%
Jakeico vs Sonny and Joey 8 10.26%
Nyla vs Tay 4 5.13%
Dustin vs The Mister 54 69.23%
Total: 78 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

boar guy posted:

counterpoint: he's small, not funny in the way that a child that has had too much sugar and not enough sleep isn't funny, impossible to take seriously, and should go away

Well, that's why we have chocolate AND vanilla, because you have lovely taste in ice cream.

Your question was basically why is he on TV. The answer is because he's part of a popular group. You are under no obligation to like him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

boar guy posted:

counterpoint: he's small, not funny in the way that a child that has had too much sugar and not enough sleep isn't funny, impossible to take seriously, and should go away
Counter counterpoint: he’s good actually

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Lamuella posted:

Well, that's why we have chocolate AND vanilla, because you have lovely taste in ice cream.

Your question was basically why is he on TV. The answer is because he's part of a popular group. You are under no obligation to like him.

he doesn't ever do anything, though, except get tossed around by bigger guys. he's totally superfluous

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

boar guy posted:

he doesn't ever do anything, though, except get tossed around by bigger guys. he's totally superfluous

Like I said, you are under no obligation to like him.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
being incredibly good at getting thrown around by huge guys is extremely valuable in professional wrestling

Majinfoose
Jul 26, 2007

HOLY SHIT
This vegan brisket is bussin

Vince MechMahon posted:

I feel like the thing is the idea of just being a mean girl exists in reality as well, and the book itself is more of a platform than a joke in and of itself, so I guess it doesn't bother me.

I also loved the Paul Burchill Jack Sparrow gimmick though so what the gently caress do I know.

How do you feel about Dexter Lumis, wrestling serial killer, who is a face?

Also bravo to WWE for being somewhat timely with Pirate Burchill, even if Vince didn't understand the reference and just thought it was some pirate poo poo from the 1950's.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

being incredibly good at getting thrown around by huge guys is extremely valuable in professional wrestling

his match against Lance Archer was very enjoyable for this reason.

Majinfoose
Jul 26, 2007

HOLY SHIT
This vegan brisket is bussin

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

I love seeing people beat up Marko for heat, so he's good!

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
I think Marko is one of the least essential members of the roster and a decent amount of the actual character work he's done is off-putting to me. But if AEW has the money to pay a unique supporting character to get his rear end whooped in a very entertaining way every once in a while, I'm not gonna complain about it

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Marko's gimmick is being a pervy weirdo. He sucks

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Marko is very popular with kids. It doesn't matter if you, Internet Smark, like him (this also applies to Luchasaurus)

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Wezlar posted:

I get what you're saying, I just feel like with "The Real Mean Girl" as her nickname and The Burn Book it's just too in your face that her entire character is a reference to this movie and really feels like an indie gimmick.

You get that it a thousand percent is, right? Like this is the other half of the "letting people be themselves" conceit, that is that they will just bring their indie gimmick with them until they can work it into something new if they need to. Hopefully it will evolve into being something that is cool and good, but there is no guarantee or obligation that it will happen with an unsigned enhancement talent.

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

Marko is also never on Dynamite except in a supporting role to the other members of Jurassic Express, his presence doesn’t impact the TV time of any other person on the roster.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Marko's gimmick is being a pervy weirdo. He sucks

I could do with him dropping the perv (if the AEW threads can drop the horny so can he) but Marko is delightful.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

The only problem with Dani's Burn Book gimmick is AEW is not letting her talk:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsUkhf7cYzg&t=30m20s

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

rantmo posted:

(if the AEW threads can drop the horny so can he)

Chris Jericho is being told to “take it to PMs” if he has any further problems with Orange Cassidy

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I hate to see Marko do Fortnite dances, and I love to see him get kicked in the face. A+ wrestler.
Also, he wrestled like half a match with a hosed up foot so I know he's very tough.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

Marko using the rugrats font and also getting chokeslammed from the ring into the crowd has justified every moment of television time he’s gotten

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Marko Stunt: What if Spike Dudley but more so?

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Davros1 posted:

The only problem with Dani's Burn Book gimmick is AEW is not letting her talk:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsUkhf7cYzg&t=30m20s

OK, that was pretty good, and could be great with a decent producer. Get her to record one minute burns on her opponents and play them before the match and it works just fine.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

karmicknight posted:

You get that it a thousand percent is, right? Like this is the other half of the "letting people be themselves" conceit, that is that they will just bring their indie gimmick with them until they can work it into something new if they need to. Hopefully it will evolve into being something that is cool and good, but there is no guarantee or obligation that it will happen with an unsigned enhancement talent.

Orange Cassidy is the prototype for taking a successful indie gimmick and letting it evolve organically into something that works better for TV, it's been nice to see him wrestling for real (and surprise people by how loving good his ringwork is)

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Marko discourse has me wondering if people in 1999 were complaining online about how they don't want to see Spike Dudley or Scotty 2 Hotty

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

NienNunb posted:

Marko discourse has me wondering if people in 1999 were complaining online about how they don't want to see Spike Dudley or Scotty 2 Hotty

I guarantee you it happened with Spike Dudley. Scotty was an insanely over midcard act so he probably didn't get it as much.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

NienNunb posted:

Absolutely

Huntman
Apr 22, 2010

Need Brian Cage to be Marko's Mike Awesome and have like 20 different table spots.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

NienNunb posted:

in all the yahoo chat pro wrestling rooms I was in at the time, everyone thought both of these dudes were fukken dorks

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

spike at least had the dudleys to justify his gimmick. marko is purely a coattail rider at this point

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Stop bullying Marko

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

boar guy posted:

spike at least had the dudleys to justify his gimmick. marko is purely a coattail rider at this point

Spike came off as sympathetic because he'd be bullied by his "brothers". Marko's annoying because he picks fights he can't win, then runs away.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

in 1997-1999 on mIRC's #prowrestling channel people absolutely farted and crapped all over those guys. but some people would still make their name 'Scotty_2_Hotty" and pretend to be him. so be sure to go and follow the marko stunt fake twitters

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

i know it's anecdotal but my 13 year old daughter is mortified that marko is flossing and dabbing in 2020 and is embarassed that he's supposed to "be for kids"

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I'm wondering if/when there will be a "full scale war" storyline wherein AEW needs to put a mix of heels and faces together just to stop an unstoppable Dark Order, but that's probably further down the line. They've come a long way from their debut of relative silence and nobody giving a poo poo about who Reynolds and Silver were. Now everybody knows how sick those guys + Grayson(!) are in the ring, they've recruited a Big Man in "Ten," Anna Jay, Brodie Lee, Cult Cabana, still have a handful of nameless mooks for numbers. The fact that they come off so well in BTE now is a big deal, too.

I'm just a big fan of a storyline wherein the threat is so insurmountable that guys like Cody and Jericho need to be on the same side just to push it back.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
I like Marko

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

gotta get jungle boy out of that gimmick, too- he's not going anywhere with those other two strapped around his neck

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

https://twitter.com/aewrestling/status/1306306867736514562?s=21

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Hells loving yes.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

BIG WILL HOBBS

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

gently caress YES

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

Why does Marko Stunt have a job? This is why:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-E3jlw4QPwI&t=238s

boar guy posted:

gotta get jungle boy out of that gimmick, too- he's not going anywhere with those other two strapped around his neck

He is in an extremely popular stable that is selling a poo poo-ton of merch and being in a tag team allows him to get better at his stuff than being pushed as a permanent singles guy.

Edit:

Awesome news.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Cavauro posted:

in 1997-1999 on mIRC's #prowrestling channel people absolutely farted and crapped all over those guys. but some people would still make their name 'Scotty_2_Hotty" and pretend to be him. so be sure to go and follow the marko stunt fake twitters

don't post like you know what wrestling talk on the internet was like in the late-90s cavauro. you're a fraud, i saw right through your game immediately. Scotty_2_Hotty was always taken, you had to do Scotty_____2_____Hotty. how about you do a little research, huh pal