Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Agreed. Looks fine. Check on it periodically for cracks, but I wouldn't worry.

EDIT: VVV Oh yeah good eye. Keep an eye on that.

eSporks fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Sep 13, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
The paint has crazed right in front of the weld:

I’d keep a close eye on that to see if the metal cracks over time.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Installed new hanger

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!

came down kinda hard on my saddle and the rigid plastic spine or whatever you want to call it snapped. I don't think this is something that can be fixed and it's about four years old now so well out of warranty.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
Generally referred to as the shell of the saddle.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

TobinHatesYou posted:

Generally referred to as the shell of the saddle.

Ah thanks. I'm terrible at terminology. I saw somewhere that strain from sitting too far up on the seat can lead to weakening it, but I had that thing pretty dialed in and I thought it was a pretty nice seat. I was looking to replace it with the brooks leather seat. Is that thing pretty sturdy?

Edit: I notice now on their website that they got a ton of different varieties so I'll need to see what kind of dimensions I want

Mauser fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Sep 14, 2020

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

ElMaligno posted:

Installed new hanger

sir please clean your drivetrain. sir. SIR

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

DELETE CASCADE posted:

sir please clean your drivetrain. sir. SIR

Its cleaner than the last time i posted it

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Mauser posted:

Ah thanks. I'm terrible at terminology. I saw somewhere that strain from sitting too far up on the seat can lead to weakening it, but I had that thing pretty dialed in and I thought it was a pretty nice seat. I was looking to replace it with the brooks leather seat. Is that thing pretty sturdy?

Edit: I notice now on their website that they got a ton of different varieties so I'll need to see what kind of dimensions I want

They weigh a ton, if that’s a factor.

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

Mauser posted:

They're also all one piece for the upper, no shell to crack. They're good, I've known some big dudes to use them. I use a Cambium one because you don't have to worry about getting it wet.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

That's good to know for both. Based on the difference in weight it looks like it would be an additional half pound compared to the previous (rip) which was a specialized henge comp I got at a going out of business sale for $60. I might try to find something of similar firmness rating on their site since shops around here seem to be out of everything that I could try out and I would just promise to be more gentle to it :(

edit: all right I ordered a specialized bridge comp as it looks pretty similar to what I had

Mauser fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Sep 15, 2020

afflictionwisp
Aug 26, 2003

kimbo305 posted:

The paint has crazed right in front of the weld:

I’d keep a close eye on that to see if the metal cracks over time.

Showed the damage to two shops that I've used in the past, consensus is definitely still safe to ride, more likely than not fine for the life of the bike.

My main guy brought up the idea of slapping a bit of protection onto the frame.

I wish I'd thought of that earlier. On one hand, where I've been riding lately, there's a very good chance that I'm going to take more hits in this general location and it would be nice to help prevent further damage. On the other hand, I'm a little hesitant to cover the existing damage in something that prevents me from inspecting it. There are clear options, but they're thin enough that I'm not sure it would make much difference to an impact like this one.

Thoughts?

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

TLDR: My gear shift/chain seems to click, as if it were shifting gears, automatically at regular intervals, even the gears don't actually shift.

So glad I found this and the new commuting thread.

I bought my bike in June with Corona bucks and have used it since to avoid Paris's clogged public transportation, and I'll likely never go back, at least as far as work is concerned (I don't like leaving my bike parked for long in Paris, I don't know a single person here who hasn't had a bike stolen so it doesn't seem worth it, it's just a from work to home bike).

The bike's pretty new and I only had to replace the brakes once after a 40 km that coincided with me going down a loving steep hill some 2km in pouring rain that just wore the brake pads down to nearly nothing.

My commute is 20 km daily, 100 kms weekly, though I've only done it for one week. Obviously, I knew the path going forward, I had done it previously since it's a nice bike ride, but the first day I need to actually commute to work I hit a bump, a bump I've hit many times as it's inevitable (road to bike path/sidewalk), and my chain gets dis-lodged. Fine whatever. I unscrew the chainguard and then slot the chain back on.

Since then I've had some trouble getting the bike back into fifth gear, but usually changing it back to 4 or 6 and then back to 5 would solve that problem. Until yesterday, a week after the initial incident. Yesterday, my bike began clicking, as if I was changing gear, automatically, but not actually changing gear. It does this every 4 or 5 pedal, it's very rhythmic.

I brought to my bike shop and took the bus to work today which was just the worst. I picked it up this evening, I even watched the guy fiddle around with the derailleur and as he pedals with his hand it seems to work fine. I take it back and the same thing is happening! I don't know if it's because of the added weight of a rider, the friction with the road, but whatever it is, the bike will click as if a gear is being changed at regular intervals. The mechanic, knowing I wanted to use it for commuting came to the conclusion that it should be safe to ride to work, which I'm fairly confident it will be, it'll just be annoying, and said if it keeps up I can bring it in next Tuesday morning, which I have off, to change the chain.

---

I personally have trouble thinking the chain is the issue since the bike is still rather new, and even if I'm putting it through its paces now, I haven't couldn't have possible ridden more than 300 km with it since having bought it.

I figure the derailleur needs to be re-aligned and I watched the video in the OP on how to do it. It doesn't seem that complicated? I feel I can figure that out this weekend. That said, where could I buy a thing to hold my bike in the air while I pedal by hand? Or is it possible that something else is wrong?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

You know what's great? Finding a broken spoke while lubing your chain up. :ughh:

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

iospace posted:

You know what's great? Finding a broken spoke while lubing your chain up. :ughh:

Name a single better time to find one.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
After you sell it, cash in hand as the buyer is walking away with it.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Ive bought a dumb Fuji Marlboro folder for dirt cheap and I’m going to use it for dicking around, and taking with me locally. I’ve stripped everything off it because it came with department store tier garbage parts, while the frame is reasonably decent. It came with no-name canti brakes, friction FD, 5 speed Shimano RD, an insanely heavy one piece 3x crank (1757g with pedals), a 150mm 1” QR stem, and a 26.4 seat post that weighs 850g.

I’ve yanked the 3x crank and BB, and I’m planning to replace it with a 1x 38T crank. The current BB is square taper, 68x127.5. I’m pretty sure it’s the original BB because it is extra nasty and devoid of any branding or markings.

I have a bottom bracket question now - with the change to a 1x crank, is there a designated amount of spindle length I should look to go down, or is it just a case of buying a few different lengths and seeing which one fits best? The 127.5 spindle length is definitely already on the long side even with a 3x.

http://www.foldingcyclist.com/Fuji-Marlboro-folding-bike.html

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Ive bought a dumb Fuji Marlboro folder for dirt cheap and I’m going to use it for dicking around, and taking with me locally. I’ve stripped everything off it because it came with department store tier garbage parts, while the frame is reasonably decent. It came with no-name canti brakes, friction FD, 5 speed Shimano RD, an insanely heavy one piece 3x crank (1757g with pedals), a 150mm 1” QR stem, and a 26.4 seat post that weighs 850g.

I’ve yanked the 3x crank and BB, and I’m planning to replace it with a 1x 38T crank. The current BB is square taper, 68x127.5. I’m pretty sure it’s the original BB because it is extra nasty and devoid of any branding or markings.

I have a bottom bracket question now - with the change to a 1x crank, is there a designated amount of spindle length I should look to go down, or is it just a case of buying a few different lengths and seeing which one fits best? The 127.5 spindle length is definitely already on the long side even with a 3x.

http://www.foldingcyclist.com/Fuji-Marlboro-folding-bike.html

I assume that’s a BSA BB shell on that frame? I’ve done this on a couple of BSA bikes now, the cheapest/easiest way I’ve found for 1x is to get whatever 110bcd crank will fit BSA with the appropriate BB and get an appropriate chainring, SRAM and FSA make real nice narrow-wide 1x chain rings that account for the change in chain line going to 1x on a 2x crank. There are tons of options (megaexo, bb386, hollowtech, GXP, etc) more or less the only relatively common modern BB standard that won’t fit BSA is BB30.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

e.pilot posted:

I assume that’s a BSA BB shell on that frame? I’ve done this on a couple of BSA bikes now, the cheapest/easiest way I’ve found for 1x is to get whatever 110bcd crank will fit BSA with the appropriate BB and get an appropriate chainring, SRAM and FSA make real nice narrow-wide 1x chain rings that account for the change in chain line going to 1x on a 2x crank. There are tons of options (megaexo, bb386, hollowtech, GXP, etc) more or less the only relatively common modern BB standard that won’t fit BSA is BB30.

Yeah, BSA. I’ve found a square taper crank which has removable chainrings and is supposedly narrow/wide although the pictures don’t seem to show that. I was planning on using another square taper bb because I have the tools for it and I’m looking to do this on the cheap, mostly with parts I have on hand.

1x9 friction shift 26er with 2” slicks :getin:

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Yeah, BSA. I’ve found a square taper crank which has removable chainrings and is supposedly narrow/wide although the pictures don’t seem to show that. I was planning on using another square taper bb because I have the tools for it and I’m looking to do this on the cheap, mostly with parts I have on hand.

1x9 friction shift 26er with 2” slicks :getin:

oh in that case just get whatever 2x 110bcd square taper crank and go nuts

https://www.backcountry.com/sram-force-cx1-x-sync-11-speed-110bcd-chain-ring

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

e.pilot posted:

oh in that case just get whatever 2x 110bcd square taper crank and go nuts

https://www.backcountry.com/sram-force-cx1-x-sync-11-speed-110bcd-chain-ring

I’ll post pics of this monstrosity when I’m done with it. It’s no dick wood, but it does fold!

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

afflictionwisp posted:

My main guy brought up the idea of slapping a bit of protection onto the frame.
DT shields are legit useful but there's good reasons they're generally not made of loving carbon fiber, it's got really rear end abrasion and impact resistance.

afflictionwisp
Aug 26, 2003
that is polyurethane, not carbon.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

I’ll post pics of this monstrosity when I’m done with it. It’s no dick wood, but it does fold!

Just post as you go, not like we have tons of traffic.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

100YrsofAttitude posted:

TLDR: My gear shift/chain seems to click, as if it were shifting gears, automatically at regular intervals, even the gears don't actually shift.

I feel I can figure that out this weekend. That said, where could I buy a thing to hold my bike in the air while I pedal by hand? Or is it possible that something else is wrong?

You can figure it out this weekend.
A bike repair stand will be your best friend while doing this or about a zillion other things on your bike. The bad news is they tend to be fairly expensive, but maybe you'll get lucky like me and your local Aldi will decide to sell bike repair stands for $40. Otherwise you'll have to rig something up that holds your rear wheel (at least) off the ground and allows you to pedal by hand. Or have a very patient friend willing to stand there and hold your bike for you.

Also, link to the commuter thread, please? Once I stop taking the bus here (small Australian regional city, bus is the opposite of crowded - usually just me and the driver. But I want to ride.) I'm sure I'll be looking for a place to complain about dogs/pedestrians/children/birds/traffic/etc.
EDIT: n/m found the commuting thread.

ExecuDork fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Sep 16, 2020

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I bought my bike in June with Corona bucks and have used it since to avoid Paris's clogged public transportation, and I'll likely never go back, at least as far as work is concerned (I don't like leaving my bike parked for long in Paris, I don't know a single person here who hasn't had a bike stolen so it doesn't seem worth it, it's just a from work to home bike).

The bike's pretty new and I only had to replace the brakes once after a 40 km that coincided with me going down a loving steep hill some 2km in pouring rain that just wore the brake pads down to nearly nothing.

My commute is 20 km daily, 100 kms weekly, though I've only done it for one week. Obviously, I knew the path going forward, I had done it previously since it's a nice bike ride, but the first day I need to actually commute to work I hit a bump, a bump I've hit many times as it's inevitable (road to bike path/sidewalk), and my chain gets dis-lodged. Fine whatever. I unscrew the chainguard and then slot the chain back on.

Since then I've had some trouble getting the bike back into fifth gear, but usually changing it back to 4 or 6 and then back to 5 would solve that problem. Until yesterday, a week after the initial incident. Yesterday, my bike began clicking, as if I was changing gear, automatically, but not actually changing gear. It does this every 4 or 5 pedal, it's very rhythmic.

I brought to my bike shop and took the bus to work today which was just the worst. I picked it up this evening, I even watched the guy fiddle around with the derailleur and as he pedals with his hand it seems to work fine. I take it back and the same thing is happening! I don't know if it's because of the added weight of a rider, the friction with the road, but whatever it is, the bike will click as if a gear is being changed at regular intervals. The mechanic, knowing I wanted to use it for commuting came to the conclusion that it should be safe to ride to work, which I'm fairly confident it will be, it'll just be annoying, and said if it keeps up I can bring it in next Tuesday morning, which I have off, to change the chain.

---

I personally have trouble thinking the chain is the issue since the bike is still rather new, and even if I'm putting it through its paces now, I haven't couldn't have possible ridden more than 300 km with it since having bought it.

I figure the derailleur needs to be re-aligned and I watched the video in the OP on how to do it. It doesn't seem that complicated? I feel I can figure that out this weekend. That said, where could I buy a thing to hold my bike in the air while I pedal by hand? Or is it possible that something else is wrong?
Paris France? You could hit up a Decathlon for a work stand (and needed tools and materials) like this one: https://www.decathlon.fr/p/pied-atelier-velo-500-decathlon/_/R-p-309118?mc=8550487. 40-50 euros. I have a Lidl work stand that was 30 euros and it's fine, but lidl/aldi change around their offers a lot.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Yeah, I’m in France. Thanks for the suggestions. If I can’t get the stand I’ll have my partner help me out.

Found another shop close to work so I’ll check them out on Friday but I’m glad this issue isn’t insurmountable because I was furious this morning as I biked to work as it clacked non stop and switched gears on its own. Hopefully using it in this condition won’t do it much harm because I’m loathe to take the bus.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Cannon_Fodder posted:

Name a single better time to find one.

Immediately after it breaks

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

I posted about smashing my bike off the roof rack of my car a while ago: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3933899&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=38#post507880717

I finally took my rear wheel off and got a closer look at the damage on the inside of the stay joint by the derailleur hanger on my cutthroat, and here it is:

My best guess is that the chain jumped off the smallest cog when the bike hit the ground, and that impact also moved the pedals suddenly, causing the chain to grind against the inside of the stay joint briefly. The damage seems to be mostly paint, looks like a small scratch to the carbon, so I'm going to try not to fret too much about it while riding and just keep an eye on it for cracking. I guess I got lucky given how bad the damage could have been.

a foolish pianist fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Sep 16, 2020

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Looks like your chain is rubbing as well. Check to make sure you don't have an unnecessary spacer behind the cassette.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

On the ride home I got used to the idiosyncracies of this bad derailleur situation. The fifth gear (of six) is hosed and won't ever stay in place, clanks, or will shift automatically to six. Sixth works-ish, but more often that not is loud and also prone to switching by itself either into itself or back down to five. Four is stable unless I'm down-shifting from fifth which makes it shift into itself. The lower 3 seem to work fine though. So if I were to fiddle around with the derailleur screws like shown in one of the videos in the OP, would I still have to go back and adjust the 3 lower ones or can I assume they'll make it through untouched?

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

a foolish pianist posted:

I posted about smashing my bike off the roof rack of my car a while ago: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3933899&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=38#post507880717

I finally took my rear wheel off and got a closer look at the damage on the inside of the stay joint by the derailleur hanger on my cutthroat, and here it is:

My best guess is that the chain jumped off the smallest cog when the bike hit the ground, and that impact also moved the pedals suddenly, causing the chain to grind against the inside of the stay joint briefly. The damage seems to be mostly paint, looks like a small scratch to the carbon, so I'm going to try not to fret too much about it while riding and just keep an eye on it for cracking. I guess I got lucky given how bad the damage could have been.

I think that's fine.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

eSporks posted:

Looks like your chain is rubbing as well. Check to make sure you don't have an unnecessary spacer behind the cassette.

Nah, all that damage is from the fall from the top of the car. The chain isn't rubbing on the frame during normal operation.

The rear wheel is also pretty out of true, and there's some friction noise when the wheel rotates but the cassette stays still.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

100YrsofAttitude posted:

On the ride home I got used to the idiosyncracies of this bad derailleur situation. The fifth gear (of six) is hosed and won't ever stay in place, clanks, or will shift automatically to six. Sixth works-ish, but more often that not is loud and also prone to switching by itself either into itself or back down to five. Four is stable unless I'm down-shifting from fifth which makes it shift into itself. The lower 3 seem to work fine though. So if I were to fiddle around with the derailleur screws like shown in one of the videos in the OP, would I still have to go back and adjust the 3 lower ones or can I assume they'll make it through untouched?

How they work:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQmmEvt0rxs

How to unfuck it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkZxPIZ1ngY

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I am a complete noob at this, so take everything I say as applicable probably only to me.

I don't know about the adjustment screws. But based on my experience, try replacing the shifter cables. My bought-from-the-dump-recycling-shop frankenbike wasn't really shifting at all. I swapped out the cables for new ones, and presto! it works! It's not perfect - I need to fine tune it in a few ways - but "functions" is way better than "does not function". The videos I watched - Park Tools, some British Bicycles-for-Everyone channel - all started with the claim that no matter what, any problem with shifting is probably going to get better or be solved by changing the cables.

Again, I know really nothing, but your issue sounds very much like (to me) something that could be caused by a shifter cable that's stretched, corroded, or otherwise damaged and not smoothly pulling / releasing as the shifter is moved. When I changed mine, cutting the outer cables was the only problem, my generic, cheap pliers with wire-cutters close to the hinge weren't really appropriate for the braided metal, I had to work at it and my cuts are pretty messy. But I got it done, and it cost very little money (I got all 4 cable sets for brakes and shifters, plus a surplus of cable ends, for $40 AUD) and really not much time or effort.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

Bike shop fixed my clicking noise while pedaling. They tightened up something down there and said that I needed a new bottom bracket maybe next season when stocks come back in. The only part they had available to order would've been $300+ so they reasoned correctly that I would not be interested in that for my toughroad. Not knowing anything about the bottom bracket, is there anything I should look out for when replacing it or just go with whatever they had proposed in the ~$30 part range?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
If it is square taper, octalink, or 24mm, there is no reason to buy anything better than a shimano sealed bearing BB, which should be like $30.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

nm posted:

If it is square taper, octalink, or 24mm, there is no reason to buy anything better than a shimano sealed bearing BB, which should be like $30.

Color coordination of a largely obscured component yo.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Cigarette Bike update:

I’ve done a little work. I started by stripping it down to the frame. The crank was pretty rough to get off. The BB unthreaded by hand. :ok:

I’ve cleaned as I went and took off some of the scuffs. Sadly, some of the scratches are through the paint, and the decals have a couple nicks. It’a a 10 footer.

So far:
- Replaced what I’m sure is the original square taper BB. What used to account for grease was rock hard.
- Replaced the cpi 3x crank with a 38T crank. With pedals it weighed nearly 4 pounds. I knocked off 10mm from the BB spindle length and I probably could have gone a little more for a better chainline, but it looks fine.
- Threw on some Kenda 2.0 tires on some 26” MTB rims I had sitting around. The previous wheels were boat anchors, and a freewheel in the back.
- New Origin8 v-brakes because I don’t want to mess with cantis.
- Installed brake levers, shifter, and grips on the bars, which I mocked up for now. The 9 speed friction shifter is the only bit I’m a little concerned about as it’s pretty cheap and rather ugly.

Still to do:
- Install new stem when it gets here. I wasn’t able to find a 1” QR stem and I didn’t want to mess with a 1” to 1 1/8” adapter, and then get a 1 1/8” folding stem, so I’ll just take the front wheel off when I need to fold it up all the way.
- Cut housing and cables to something non-ludicrous and get the brakes set up right.
- Install RD hanger. This bike doesn’t have a direct mount, so I’ve found a Sunrace hanger that uses the axle and then provides a direct mount location. I’ll be mounting a Sora RD I have sitting around.
- Replace seatpost and saddle. This seatpost is absurdly heavy, and is the outdated 26.4 pillar style.

Nice to haves:
- Install a better QR lever on the back.
- Find another 1” QR stem if it exists.
- Throw on an indexed shifter if this friction one sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jesse Ventura
Jan 14, 2007

This drink is like somebody's memory of a grapefruit, and the memory is fading.

:eyepop:

Did you post about this bike in the old thread? It is fascinating.