Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.

Shinjobi posted:

Just to make sure, there's no way to stop the vault from closing and filling with water, right? Even if you solve the puzzle and get the chest the vault eventually closes?

Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything after I got the chest hidden behind the wall.

Nope. It's on a timer and it WILL close. The game is just to do as much as you can before it does. Focus on the good stuff and move fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

Master Twig posted:

Nope. It's on a timer and it WILL close. The game is just to do as much as you can before it does. Focus on the good stuff and move fast.

I did one yesterday. There's the pillar puzzle, but I also noticed three snake talismans that slotted into the front of the central table. Couldn't tell what it did because my partner slammed the button right after putting them in without us touching the pillars, but it kinda looked like it stopped the door idk. I think it was just shaking at the midway point to give us a final closing warning.

Are there different reward tiers to the caves associated with the key material? I saw there were multiple key types and I got a stone one and the loot inside was pretty meh (didn't get the puzzle chest)

ILL Machina fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Sep 14, 2020

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

ILL Machina posted:

I did one yesterday. There's the pillar puzzle, but I also noticed three snake talismans that slotted into the front of the central table. Couldn't tell what it did because my partner slammed the button right after putting them in without us touching the pillars, but it kinda looked like it stopped the door idk. I think it was just shaking at the midway point to give us a final closing warning.

Are there different reward tiers to the caves associated with the key material? I saw there were multiple key types and I got a stone one and the loot inside was pretty meh (didn't get the puzzle chest)

I believe the door does stop and shudder at the midway point, it's just a warning that time is getting close, as you said. Nothing you do stops or slows the vault closing or water filling process. The only actions you can take are to put in medallions, spin the pillars to solve the puzzle, and punch the "solve" button. This only reveals the chest of ancients or whatever, nothing influences the vault closing/flooding. Best strategy seems to be get to the highest platforms as quickly as possible and find the medallions along the way, plug in and solve. Split crew between dropping chests from platforms and moving chests on low ground out to beyond the door. One or more crew stay behind to grab as many gold piles as possible after it shuts.

There are stone, silver and gold keys that are associated with increasingly valuable vaults. Lorinna at the tavern gives you gold key quests. I think the quest you get from the gold hoarder is random as to which one you get.

Getting the achievement for emptying the vault is obviously going to be easier with the stone or silver vaults.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

I like how the new Xbox achievements are just 'open 3 gold vaults' and 'empty the entire vault', but the two new sails are locked behind commendations that require 'sell 50 tribute chests' and 'open 100 vaults'.

At least now I have more time to catch up on the previous updates' tasks, like sink 500 ghost fleet ships and kill 20 Ashen Lords. :smith:

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

BlackIronHeart posted:

Yeah, we had a couple Sloops take an interest but my buddy or I were able to board them and drop their anchor or chain-shot their mast to throw them off our trail. We also have a couple tricks to minimize the risk.

1. A harpoon rowboat. A player can lock the harpoon (by holding R on PC) once it's stuck into something so you can 'tow' a rowboat full of gunpowder kegs at a safe distance. This means there's only one player on the ship and the other is sitting on a pile of TNT but c'est la vie.
2. Shroudbreaker. We were mostly near Galleon's Grave and we'd retreat into the red sea around the Shores of Gold if people were hot on our heels. Watching them flail and sink while we're sailing just fine is fun. The red sea will instantly disintegrate a rowboat, however, so #1 doesn't work in combination with this.

This sounds hilarious. I'm a new player and trying to avoid all spoilers about the tall tales (I only know about shroudbreaker relating to traveling through the mists because we just picked it up)... do you have to hang onto the uncompleted tall tale in order to be able to do this?

Also, couldn't the person in the rowboat just mermaid back? Do you have to stay on the harpoon holding R for it to stay locked?

Zwabu posted:

Lorinna at the tavern gives you gold key quests. I think the quest you get from the gold hoarder is random as to which one you get.

Just did a Lorinna quest this weekend and got a stone key, so this may no longer be true.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Yeah I got a stone key out of a Lorinna quest as well. Two out of three we got from her were gold, but the third was the stone key and was kind of a disappointing final vault of the night.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

Unsinkabear posted:

do you have to hang onto the uncompleted tall tale in order to be able to do this?
Yeah. Since they added checkpoints you can even stash the uncompleted tall tale in your quest inventory for later, although I understand the checkpoint for that tale is in an inconvenient place.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The Oath Breaker's about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!

Unsinkabear posted:

Also, couldn't the person in the rowboat just mermaid back? Do you have to stay on the harpoon holding R for it to stay locked?

Mermaiding back would abandon the rowboat but you're right that someone does have to be actively holding R for it to stay locked.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Rad, thanks all. I'm catching up on everything in the thread since the addition of emissaries since that seems to be the turning point for the current state of the game. But in the meantime I have a bunch of rookie pirate questions (and I'm sure I'll post more as I go, hope it's not a bother):
  1. Do ships just sink on their own when left unattended? I saw an older post that seemed to imply this and my girlfriend and I seemed to experience it when hunting around for a vault key (we had tucked the ship on the other side of the island to hide it)
  2. How common are skeleton ships, and is there any pattern to when they spawn/despawn? We saw a galleon that seemed to run from our sloop and decided to find out why, and once we (unintentionally) rammed and boarded them we realized it was skellies. For some reason they seemed to be fighting Flameheart's ghost ships? Once they eventually turned and sunk us we tried to swim over and board them again, but they just dove beneath the waves and disappeared. :stare:
  3. Any tips for staying aware of threats from the sea while actually doing things on islands? We're not very aggressive and are both fairly new, so we’ve missed most of the content that is old hat to you guys. We often want to actually experience those parts of the game rather than just attack and steal from other players all day, but we’ve frequently been raided while on or just coming off of an island where we were hunting treasure. I try to keep a relaxed attitude towards being sunk and stolen from, but when it's just brutal and trollish rather than "oh man, they were really good" or "that was a funny/clever idea" it can get frustrating to lose our poo poo multiple times in a session (especially when it's the same assholes back to back who seem to just be lying in wait for us to dig something up again. How do you hide a brigantine?!).
  4. I saw someone post about there being two different types of sword lunges, but I’ve only noticed one. How does that work?
  5. Any tips for fighting skeletons effectively? Whether I duel with parries or just juke and slash, I sometimes find myself taking a fair amount of damage and even dying to gangs of just gangs of regular ones who have a mix of weapons and can spread out. We use a lot of food and it makes me think poo poo like ashen lords and skeleton forts will be hell.
  6. Related: I can't figure out a go-to pve loadout. I need a sword for when there's no ammo crates, so that leaves me with one gun. The blunderbuss works well on the ones that mob you, but then you're useless against barrel assholes (who are way too common to be fun). Pistol gives you some range but barrel rushers still get closer than I like before I can fire, thanks to that painful penalty time between aiming and being able to fire. Sniper rifle ironically lets you fire quicker, but is a bitch to aim in close quarters because of the artificial reticle slowdown. Sword/pistol seems the least bad overall so far, but does anyone have protips we might have missed?
  7. Is there any downside to flying an emissary flag? I know ostensibly that makes you more of a target, but aside from two notable exceptions, everyone who sees our sloop and isn’t doing emissary poo poo themselves attacks us anyway.
  8. Related to the above, we’ve been thinking about trying out a brigantine instead of our sloop to have more guns and speed and hopefully look like less easy pickings. How feasible is it for us to two-man a brig?

Unsinkabear fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Sep 16, 2020

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Also new question related: I seem to be taking damage from skeletons well before the swing animation actually happens, and I don't remember this happening before a month-ish break I just took. Anything to do about this?

Unsinkabear posted:

Rad, thanks all. I'm catching up on everything in the thread since the addition of emissaries since that seems to be the turning point for the current state of the game. But in the meantime I have a bunch of rookie pirate questions (and I'm sure I'll post more as I go, hope it's not a bother):
  1. Do ships just sink on their own when left unattended? I saw an older post that seemed to imply this and my girlfriend and I seemed to experience it when hunting around for a vault key (we had tucked the ship on the other side of the island to hide it)
  2. Related: I can't figure out a go-to pve loadout. I need a sword for when there's no ammo crates, so that leaves me with one gun. The blunderbuss works well on the ones that mob you, but then you're useless against barrel assholes (who are way too common to be fun). Pistol gives you some range but barrel rushers still get closer than I like before I can fire, thanks to that painful penalty time between aiming and being able to fire. Sniper rifle ironically lets you fire quicker, but is a bitch to aim in close quarters because of the artificial reticle slowdown. Sword/pistol seems the least bad overall so far, but does anyone have protips we might have missed?
As far as these two questions; rain and storms both very slowly add water to your ship which will eventually sink it, yes, and for PvE I've been almost exclusively using sword/pistol for just those reasons. It seems the most balanced and the least generally bad.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

Unsinkabear posted:

Only if they're taking on water somehow, either by rain or holes.

quote:

• How common are skeleton ships, and is there any pattern to when they spawn/despawn? We saw a galleon that seemed to run from our sloop and decided to find out why, and once we (unintentionally) rammed and boarded them we realized it was skellies. For some reason they seemed to be fighting Flameheart's ghost ships? Once they eventually turned and sunk us we tried to swim over and board them again, but they just dove beneath the waves and disappeared. :stare:

• There are roaming skellie ships that travel from island to island, they're largely random and will exist for a certain amount of time. There are also skellie ship 'attacks' where one will breach the waves and start attacking you after a warning musical cue.

quote:

• Any tips for staying aware of threats from the sea while actually doing things on islands? We're not very aggressive and are both fairly new, so we’ve missed most of the content that is old hat to you guys.

• Keep your eyes on the horizon, try to put your ship somewhere that you can keep an eye on it while you're ashore.

quote:

• I saw someone post about there being two different types of sword lunges, but I’ve only noticed one. How does that work?

• You can combine a sword lunge with a jump to get a little more air and travel time.

quote:

• Any tips for fighting skeletons effectively? Whether I duel with parries or just juke and slash, I sometimes find myself taking a fair amount of damage and even dying to gangs of just gangs of regular ones who have a mix of weapons and can spread out. We use a lot of food and it makes me think poo poo like ashen lords and skeleton forts will be hell.

• Are you keyboard+mouse? Bunny hopping helps!

quote:

• Related: I can't figure out a go-to pve loadout. I need a sword for when there's no ammo crates, so that leaves me with one gun. The blunderbuss works well on the ones that mob you, but then you're useless against barrel assholes (who are way too common to be fun). Pistol gives you some range but barrel rushers still get closer than I like before I can fire, thanks to that painful penalty time between aiming and being able to fire. Sniper rifle ironically lets you fire quicker, but is a bitch to aim in close quarters because of the artificial reticle slowdown. Sword/pistol seems the least bad overall so far, but does anyone have protips we might have missed?

• Sword plus sniper rifle is usually the way to go, bunny hop to get some space to use it.

quote:

• Is there any downside to flying an emissary flag? I know ostensibly that makes you more of a target, but aside from two notable exceptions, everyone who sees our sloop and isn’t doing emissary poo poo themselves attacks us anyway.

• Not really! As you mentioned, it can make you a target for Reaper Emissaries as Grade V Reapers can see you on the map if you're flying a flag.

quote:

• Related to the above, we’ve been thinking about trying out a brigantine instead of our sloop to have more guns and speed and hopefully look like less easy pickings. How feasible is it for us to two-man a brig?

• I would say two-manning a brig might be a bit much for newbies. You really gotta coordinate raising the anchor and utilizing the sails if you're gonna two-man a brig. If someone's loving around when things get hectic, you're pretty well hosed.

Sekhmnet
    Jan 22, 2019

Unsinkabear posted:

2. How common are skeleton ships, and is there any pattern to when they spawn/despawn? We saw a galleon that seemed to run from our sloop and decided to find out why, and once we (unintentionally) rammed and boarded them we realized it was skellies. For some reason they seemed to be fighting Flameheart's ghost ships? Once they eventually turned and sunk us we tried to swim over and board them again, but they just dove beneath the waves and disappeared. :stare:
    3. Any tips for staying aware of threats from the sea while actually doing things on islands? We're not very aggressive and are both fairly new, so we’ve missed most of the content that is old hat to you guys. We often want to actually experience those parts of the game rather than just attack and steal from other players all day, but we’ve frequently been raided while on or just coming off of an island where we were hunting treasure. I try to keep a relaxed attitude towards being sunk and stolen from, but when it's just brutal and trollish rather than "oh man, they were really good" or "that was a funny/clever idea" it can get frustrating to lose our poo poo multiple times in a session (especially when it's the same assholes back to back who seem to just be lying in wait for us to dig something up again. How do you hide a brigantine?!).
    4. I saw someone post about there being two different types of sword lunges, but I’ve only noticed one. How does that work?
    5. Any tips for fighting skeletons effectively? Whether I duel with parries or just juke and slash, I sometimes find myself taking a fair amount of damage and even dying to gangs of just gangs of regular ones who have a mix of weapons and can spread out. We use a lot of food and it makes me think poo poo like ashen lords and skeleton forts will be hell.
    6. Related: I can't figure out a go-to pve loadout. I need a sword for when there's no ammo crates, so that leaves me with one gun. The blunderbuss works well on the ones that mob you, but then you're useless against barrel assholes (who are way too common to be fun). Pistol gives you some range but barrel rushers still get closer than I like before I can fire, thanks to that painful penalty time between aiming and being able to fire. Sniper rifle ironically lets you fire quicker, but is a bitch to aim in close quarters because of the artificial reticle slowdown. Sword/pistol seems the least bad overall so far, but does anyone have protips we might have missed?
    7. Is there any downside to flying an emissary flag? I know ostensibly that makes you more of a target, but aside from two notable exceptions, everyone who sees our sloop and isn’t doing emissary poo poo themselves attacks us anyway.
    8. Related to the above, we’ve been thinking about trying out a brigantine instead of our sloop to have more guns and speed and hopefully look like less easy pickings. How feasible is it for us to two-man a brig?

Rain will slowly fill a ship but it takes a LOT of time to sink it that way, somebody either sabotaged you or you had a danger hole in the back that you didn't see

Skeleton ships that are already out and about are easy to identify by the crazy sails and party lights, you can usually spot 1 or 2 in each region. The encounters are a little different, it will either be a skelly ship, a meg or a kraken(a kraken only comes if there aren't any events like a skull fort or flameheart up) Skelly ships drop supply crates now, which are super useful, and all the events boost an emissary flag if you're flying one.

Always take a look to the horizon for other ships. There might be one hiding behind and island or some rocks so don't just scan the horizon once you get to your destination but be checking every few moments so you don't get snuck up on. Also if you're on an island for a really long time it boosts the odds of somebody just sailing by and coming in for an easy kill. Or just stealing all your supplies, drawing a dick on your map and leaving a banana on the stove to burn your ship down.

There is the regular hold the attack button down lunge, and the block+lunge where you jump at just the right moment. It takes practice but it isn't that difficult at all.

Fighting skellies is about priorities, kill the pistol ones first, then shotgunners, then the sword/unarmed ones. The sword/unarmed ones should come at you so you can hit all of above with your sword. Smacking them keeps them from hurting you; sometimes they'll run away or sometimes they'll back off and chug a banana. I like to keep a pistol or the sniper instead of the blunder for pve to take out any powder barrel skellies as soon as I'm a safe distance away. A blunder is really only the best for pve if you're fighting rusted gold skeletons, but blunder bombs/fire bombs are in the game now and are better imo.

Having an emissary flag is basically a beacon for anyone who's got a reaper's flying. It's a risk/reward thing, you get better gold and rep but people can tell you have treasure on board way easier by looking at the rank of your flag. Its a pvp magnet even for ppl who aren't running reapers.

You can two man a brig but you'll be a man down. It would be rough to fight since brigs sink way faster than sloops do and having one person steering/managing sails and one person firing cannons/doing repairs isn't ideal. If either of you gets gibbed by a cannon shot its a crippling event you'll likely sink. Plus its hard to send out a boarder and leave one person behind to manage the ship all by themselves. Check out the official discord or the sot community discord to find a 3rd player, its not as good as playing with somebody you know but it is way better than doing an open crew.

glitchwraith
    Dec 29, 2008

I'm still fairly new, but here is what I've discovered so far.

Unsinkabear posted:

Do ships just sink on their own when left unattended? I saw an older post that seemed to imply this and my girlfriend and I seemed to experience it when hunting around for a vault key (we had tucked the ship on the other side of the island to hide it)

I've only seen my ship sink randomly once, and it was an obvious glitch because I literally had just spawned into the game, so there hadn't been a chance for anything to cause it. Was walking up to it and it just randomly rolled under the waves. Hasn't happened again though.

It's possible it could have taken on too much water if it was raining, or if a storm pushed it against rocks if it wasn't anchored. Also possible some sneaky pirates sank it to mess with you.

Unsinkabear posted:

How common are skeleton ships, and is there any pattern to when they spawn/despawn? We saw a galleon that seemed to run from our sloop and decided to find out why, and once we (unintentionally) rammed and boarded them we realized it was skellies. For some reason they seemed to be fighting Flameheart's ghost ships? Once they eventually turned and sunk us we tried to swim over and board them again, but they just dove beneath the waves and disappeared. :stare:

You can occasionally see skelly ships patrolling in the distance. They tend to have colored lights. I've also seen these sidle up to islands and wait a bit before leaving. They usually leave you alone unless you attack or get too close.

They can also just spawn next to your ship randomly and immediately begin attacking, though you usually get a musical cue ahead of time. The one that sank you probably de-spanwed after, which is why it took a dive. Not sure if that's usual after they sink you, but wouldn't surprise me.

Unsinkabear posted:

Any tips for staying aware of threats from the sea while actually doing things on islands? We're not very aggressive and are both fairly new, so we’ve missed most of the content that is old hat to you guys. We often want to actually experience those parts of the game rather than just attack and steal from other players all day, but we’ve frequently been raided while on or just coming off of an island where we were hunting treasure. I try to keep a relaxed attitude towards being sunk and stolen from, but when it's just brutal and trollish rather than "oh man, they were really good" or "that was a funny/clever idea" it can get frustrating to lose our poo poo multiple times in a session (especially when it's the same assholes back to back who seem to just be lying in wait for us to dig something up again. How do you hide a brigantine?!).

Best method is keeping someone on the boat if they aren't needed on the island. That way they can keep an eye out and have the boat ready to move at a moment's notice. If you don't have someone to stay, you just got to be ready to go at any moment. Coasting to a stop by raising the sails instead anchoring helps. Also keeping your ship stealthy helps. Turn off all the lamps you can, and dock your ship around big rocks for extra cover.

Unsinkabear posted:

Any tips for fighting skeletons effectively? Whether I duel with parries or just juke and slash, I sometimes find myself taking a fair amount of damage and even dying to gangs of just gangs of regular ones who have a mix of weapons and can spread out. We use a lot of food and it makes me think poo poo like ashen lords and skeleton forts will be hell.

I tend to jump around a lot, and if I'm surrounded, flee and eat. Prioritize taking out the ones with guns first. Fleeing is also the best option against the ones with explosive barrels, so you can blow them and their buddies up from a distance.

Unsinkabear posted:

[*]Is there any downside to flying an emissary flag? I know ostensibly that makes you more of a target, but aside from two notable exceptions, everyone who sees our sloop and isn’t doing emissary poo poo themselves attacks us anyway.

Just that maxed level Reapers can see you, but you'll be able to check for them before flying the flag, since Reaper Emissaries are always visible on the map.

glitchwraith fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Sep 16, 2020

Chev
    Jul 19, 2010
    Switchblade Switcharoo

Unsinkabear posted:

Any tips for staying aware of threats from the sea while actually doing things on islands?
    Do regular horizon checks (the higher place the better), park your ship on the "far" side of the island (relative to the map center if you don't see anyone in a nearby island when approaching, otherwise far compared to them) and preferably behind a high geographical feature but still reasonably accessible to you, get your anchor up for a quick getaway if you aren't in a storm and point your ship towards an escape route so all you have to do is drop the sail. a faraway ship that's arriving at another island is less dangerous than a ship going away from an island, but this is especially true for outposts, since ships coming into outposts are likely full of loot they want to get rid of while ships leaving have nothing to lose.

Giggle Goose
    Oct 18, 2009
    I would also encourage you to sell your loot from time to time rather than just keeping it all aboard for one big drop. My friends and I sank a ship at anchor the other day (cause we play like huge douchebags) and we must have pulled 250k worth of poo poo out of that galleon. They must have been doing vault runs for the entire day or something. I've never seen so much loot in one place.

Chev
    Jul 19, 2010
    Switchblade Switcharoo
    This is related to a potential downside (but also upside!) of the emissary flag, too, as it encourages you to do the reverse, ie to maximize your gains you need to hold onto all loot related to your current emissary flag until it's maxed out or you need to leave.

Zwabu
    Aug 7, 2006

Unsinkabear posted:

In the absence of rain, or a storm, or anything making a hole in your ship, it should not sink no matter how long you leave it unattended. Rain, even without a storm (storm is marked by your ship's bell ringing and the compass spinning), will slowly flood your deck and if you never bail it will sink, but it will take a while. A storm will randomly bash a hole in your ship which can sink you if you never fix it. If there was no rain or storm the likely scenario is that some cheeky pirate sank your ship, either with cannon, while you were occupied on the other side of the island, or by kegging it. They can even drive it into the island or a rock and make holes in it that way.

Unsinkabear posted:

• How common are skeleton ships, and is there any pattern to when they spawn/despawn? We saw a galleon that seemed to run from our sloop and decided to find out why, and once we (unintentionally) rammed and boarded them we realized it was skellies. For some reason they seemed to be fighting Flameheart's ghost ships? Once they eventually turned and sunk us we tried to swim over and board them again, but they just dove beneath the waves and disappeared. :stare:

• Skelly ships are quite common. There are those that are spawned in the game and patrol around, those ships generally will not aggro on you or attack unless you attack it or come VERY close to it or harpoon it, they will generally ignore you even if you pass fairly close. They may seem like they are running from you but they are generally just ignoring you. Then there are the skelly ships that are spawned specifically to attack you. You will usually get a musical cue right before they appear, and they will rise up out of the ocean on one side or the other of you, generally in a parallel course to you, giving you the opportunity to get the first several hits on them, and then they will begin attacking you right away.

Unsinkabear posted:

• Any tips for staying aware of threats from the sea while actually doing things on islands? We're not very aggressive and are both fairly new, so we’ve missed most of the content that is old hat to you guys. We often want to actually experience those parts of the game rather than just attack and steal from other players all day, but we’ve frequently been raided while on or just coming off of an island where we were hunting treasure. I try to keep a relaxed attitude towards being sunk and stolen from, but when it's just brutal and trollish rather than "oh man, they were really good" or "that was a funny/clever idea" it can get frustrating to lose our poo poo multiple times in a session (especially when it's the same assholes back to back who seem to just be lying in wait for us to dig something up again. How do you hide a brigantine?!).

• This is kind of fundamental to the game. You just need to scan the horizon periodically. If one of your crew can climb up into the crow's nest, or onto the high ground of whatever island you're on and look around, even better. You should have a general awareness if there's a reaper emissary operating on your server (they will show at all times on the chart including what emissary level they are currently), and periodically check the chart to see if they are anywhere near you or coming your way. Also don't make yourself easy to see, don't light any more lanterns on the ship than necessary. Even the lanterns below in decks can show through your ship at night because of some graphical/clipping issue.

If you are doing events that are a huge target for gankers such as forts (especially Fort of the Damned), Ashen Winds etc. you should strongly consider having someone be lookout at all times on your ship, or at least periodically check for other ships, look for pirates hiding/tucking etc.

Unsinkabear posted:

• I saw someone post about there being two different types of sword lunges, but I’ve only noticed one. How does that work?

• The "simple" sword lunge is where you simply hold down the attack button in a long press. The "advanced" sword lunge is where you hold down the "block" button first, THEN go into the long attack press. It's a good habit to learn the "advanced" one early and always use that, it gives you a LOT more distance if you're using it with a jump. The way you do this is just as the sword begins to thrust forward, hit jump. Or you can hit jump right when the "FWWIINNNNNG" sound begins, this is about the same timing. Sword lunge for movement is super useful just for getting around from place to place, or for boarding ships.

There are a number of subtle things to know about the sword lunge. Once you've begun an advanced lunge and the lunge begins "charging up", you don't have to hold down the attack button anymore, you can let go. During this phase and before the lunge actually happens you can move your character around to "aim" the lunge. You can back up if the target is too close. You can move forward if they're too far. You can move sideways or around an obstruction like a mast or barrel if your target is on the other side.

You can also control the distance and direction of the lunge mid lunge. So if you're sword lunging off the dock to zoom through the water to a mermaid or your ship, you can start hitting the "move backwards" button as soon as you hit the water to slow yourself down if you would normally zoom right by the mermaid, or you can direct your movement sideways or around an obstruction while you're zooming.

You can also hit multiple targets with a lunge. So if there are a couple/few pirates at the water barrel to put out a fire or on a capstan raising anchor you can lunge them and hit them all for 60% damage and a stun at the same time. Also good when someone is resurrecting another player or doing anything where they are "locked in" to a task, such as manning the helm, manning a cannon, repairing the ship etc.
    https://clips.twitch.tv/FlirtyDirtyMangetoutSpicyBoy

Unsinkabear posted:

• Any tips for fighting skeletons effectively?

• Practice sword lunging the skellies. This is particularly great because the generic skellies (the ones that are not associated with any particular quest but just spawn randomly on the islands) have low hit points and a sword lunge will one shot them, so you can kill 2 or 3 or more skeletons with a single lunge if they are clumped. During the Ashen Winds event you can kill a large number of skeletons with each lunge since they group up or line up in a row. Also if you are slashing, do so in a 3 hit combo, "1-2-3". If you add movement to it so you're going in a semicircle around them while you slash even better. These techniques work great on human players too.

Also your standard sword slash also hits multiple enemies at one time, so if skellies are close enough to each other, position yourself so that your slash hits two or more of them at the same time.

If you're doing quests on islands, having either the pistol or sniper equipped is generally good for killing powder keg skellies from range. Tossing fire or blunder bombs also works.

Unsinkabear posted:

• Related: I can't figure out a go-to pve loadout.

• Sword/sniper or sword pistol are probably best. You always want a sword vs. skellies because of ammo, and you probably want something with longer range for powder keg skellies that spawn, although blunder bombs or firebombs work okay for those also (learn to use blunder bombs in combat, they're pretty good).

Remember you can change your weapon loadout on an enemy ship's armory or the ones at the gun store (weaponsmith) at outposts, or even at the armory in the Ferry of the Damned (very important when you're getting spawn camped by a boarder).

Unsinkabear posted:

• Is there any downside to flying an emissary flag? I know ostensibly that makes you more of a target, but aside from two notable exceptions, everyone who sees our sloop and isn’t doing emissary poo poo themselves attacks us anyway.

• As others have mentioned, the main disadvantages are you are visible on the map to any level 5 reaper emissary, and you are a more attractive target to get sunk/robbed in general. It is true that aggressive players will attack you regardless if you're an emissary or not, but how hard they commit to it will depend a lot upon their perception of the likelihood of getting significant loot value out of sinking you. The higher emissary level you reach, the more value your emissary flag itself has as loot. A level 5 emissary flag being sold by a level 5 reaper will be something like a 20-25K gold payout for just the flag. The higher your emissary level the more likely it is you're carrying a lot of loot that got you to that level (merchants being a bit of an exception because of the way the quests work delivering each set of cargo as you go). There are a bunch of reaper commendations for turning in numbers of emissary flags and grade V flags so people trying to get those commendations will be after you also.

Emissary runs do encourage a risky play style since the bonus on your loot is determined by what flag level you are when you sell it, so the greatest return is to wait and sell everything at level 5 where you get 150% bonus on top of your loot value. Pigs get fat and hogs get slaughtered though, not more than an hour ago I just had a fat haul of loot I could have sold at level 4 reaper but I got sunk just a hair short of making level 5 and lost everything. If you are in the mode of learning PvP skills and just want to fight ships and shoot pirates to get better at it, I feel like emissary is (for me at least) not the way to go because as soon as I start feeling I have something to "risk", I play in a more risk averse way and avoid fights, run away from other ships etc. and I have less fun generally. But you should try playing both as and emissary and not as an emissary to get a feel for which one you enjoy more.

Unsinkabear posted:

• Related to the above, we’ve been thinking about trying out a brigantine instead of our sloop to have more guns and speed and hopefully look like less easy pickings. How feasible is it for us to two-man a brig?

• Most people recommend against this because the difficulty handling the bigger ship short handed more than compensates for the extra speed and firepower. It's true that some people will be deterred from attacking seeing a brig, but good players and crews will "assess" you by trying to board you or engaging in a skirmish to get a feel for your skill level and won't hesitate to attack you if your ship/crew looks weak to them.

Zwabu fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Sep 17, 2020

CainsDescendant
    Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

I'm way more likely to attack a brig than a sloop, generally. Sloops are a lot tougher to sink than a brig, and most sloops we come across seem to be solo players with not much worth taking. Brigs are often crewed by more aggressive pvp types and have stuff worth taking more often, in my experience. As long as you watch the horizon and are poised to sail into the wind at the first sign of trouble, it's way safer to sloop around than to have even a fully crewed brig.
    Brigs are more high risk high firepower.

BlackIronHeart
    Aug 2, 2004

Yeah, to build on the 'Sloop vs Brig' question, a well played sloop with 2 pirates is basically invincible if it can't be boarded. It's hard to put enough holes into a sloop with cannon fire alone that one dedicated pirate can't fix and keep it afloat. A two-man Brig is a much different situation. Hell, I've knocked down a sloops mast with chainshot and an expert crew managed to get it back up quickly enough to keep space between us such that I couldn't board them but that's gonna be impossible with a two-man brig.

Unsinkabear
    Jun 8, 2013

Wow, that was so much more comprehensive than I expected. :swoon: Too much here to respond to individually, but know that I read and appreciated every word. Did some test skelly-fighting this afternoon and even putting the very basics of what was mentioned into practice already feels much better.

So clearly the boat consensus is to git gud at sloop, and I'm fine with that. It's a cozy little ship. Our track record in ship to ship battles is nooot great, though. It's wild to hear people say that the bigger ships are even tougher to manage, because I feel like as soon as more than one thing goes wrong on the sloop we start to lose control. Fire is the absolute worst (although someone's prior comment that you can put it out by splashing water up from below deck should hopefully help with that). What should we know/practice in order to get better at fighting/fleeing with it?

I'm surprised that sword+sniper got more votes than sword+pistol, but I'll play around with that and see how I like it in comparison.

What is tucking?

Unsinkabear fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Sep 17, 2020

BlackIronHeart
    Aug 2, 2004

Unsinkabear posted:

What should we know/practice in order to get better at fighting/fleeing with it?

Sloops are best when sailing into the wind compared to the larger ships. If you put your ship into the wind so the wind is coming directly at you AND turn the sail forward you are moving faster than brigs or galleons chasing you. It's a paradox but it's the way things work.

quote:

What is tucking?

Here's my buddy tucking on a sloop. Do you see him? You can see his foot right beneath the eyehole on the tarp.

'Tucking' is hiding in order to ambush someone. Usually done on ships but could be done at outposts or events.

Unsinkabear
    Jun 8, 2013

BlackIronHeart posted:

Here's my buddy tucking on a sloop. Do you see him? You can see his foot right beneath the eyehole on the tarp.

'Tucking' is hiding in order to ambush someone. Usually done on ships but could be done at outposts or events.

Hah, even knowing what to look for I still don't understand that image. How the hell did he get in there?

Raposa
    Aug 4, 2007

That post went quite well, I think.
    To be clear he's not in the tarp, he's behind the map table in the corner opposite the poor sap standing there in plain sight. Another good tuck spot on sloops are in the belly, just behind the furthest barrels on the left side, if you're looking from the steps. If people pop down to check for you I'd say 9 times out of 10 they won't notice you lying down there, thanks to the dark environ you kinda blend in with the clothing and equipment chests.

Sekhmnet
    Jan 22, 2019

Unsinkabear posted:

Wow, that was so much more comprehensive than I expected. :swoon: Too much here to respond to individually, but know that I read and appreciated every word. Did some test skelly-fighting this afternoon and even putting the very basics of what was mentioned into practice already feels much better.

So clearly the boat consensus is to git gud at sloop, and I'm fine with that. It's a cozy little ship. Our track record in ship to ship battles is nooot great, though. It's wild to hear people say that the bigger ships are even tougher to manage, because I feel like as soon as more than one thing goes wrong on the sloop we start to lose control. Fire is the absolute worst (although someone's prior comment that you can put it out by splashing water up from below deck should hopefully help with that). What should we know/practice in order to get better at fighting/fleeing with it?

I'm surprised that sword+sniper got more votes than sword+pistol, but I'll play around with that and see how I like it in comparison.

What is tucking?

Fire isn't too bad, its a slow attrition damage and it actually takes quite a while for it to do damage to your ship. The main danger is borders only need 1 shot to kill you.

As for practicing, I would try out some of the fleet missions from oos(I think you have to be rep 25+ to get those) and flameheart events. You'll get pretty good at aiming cannons doing those. Also pretty good at getting you to prioritize actions, from triaging damage(back holes on a sloop aren't danger holes until the water comes up to that sort of second deck) how to steer so you can hit other ships but you aren't in their attack zones and using sails and anchor turns to maneuver around faster.

BlackIronHeart
    Aug 2, 2004

Raposa posted:

To be clear he's not in the tarp, he's behind the map table in the corner opposite the poor sap standing there in plain sight.

You're wrong, he's actually behind the block and tackle. Here's another angle.

He got there by using one of the hide or sleep emotes while, essentially, standing on the very edge of the tarp. It's a real insidious hiding spot if your character model is teeny tiny.

Here's a more obvious tuck spot on a galleon. He ended up stealing that Tall Tale IX skull on the railing there.

Unsinkabear
    Jun 8, 2013

Sekhmnet posted:

Fire isn't too bad, its a slow attrition damage and it actually takes quite a while for it to do damage to your ship. The main danger is boarders only need 1 shot to kill you.

As for practicing, I would try out some of the fleet missions from oos(I think you have to be rep 25+ to get those) and flameheart events. You'll get pretty good at aiming cannons doing those. Also pretty good at getting you to prioritize actions, from triaging damage(back holes on a sloop aren't danger holes until the water comes up to that sort of second deck) how to steer so you can hit other ships but you aren't in their attack zones and using sails and anchor turns to maneuver around faster.

The issue I have with fire is that the fairly fast chip damage it does while I'm trying to run around and deal with other problems makes me feel like I have to deal with the fire first, and that can be a real time-waster. And also how easy it makes me to kill by other means, as you said.

Both of those sound like fun ways to get practice (although fighting a whole fleet seems kind of hairy). I'm level 21 in OoS, I think, so we should hopefully have those missions soon.

Ra Ra Rasputin
    Apr 2, 2011
    For skeleton ships, is it recommended for or against boarding them, got a friend that would constantly board skeleton ships but felt like it always left us undermanned and him stranded in the water while the second ship is on us.

BlackIronHeart
    Aug 2, 2004

They sometimes carry gunpowder kegs but I don't think it's worth boarding skelly ships. Just cannon them.

Sekhmnet
    Jan 22, 2019

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

For skeleton ships, is it recommended for or against boarding them, got a friend that would constantly board skeleton ships but felt like it always left us undermanned and him stranded in the water while the second ship is on us.

The sloops probably not but having somebody babysit a danger hole on the bottom of a galleon can save a lot of cannonballs.

Coq au Nandos
    Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Sekhmnet posted:

The sloops probably not but having somebody babysit a danger hole on the bottom of a galleon can save a lot of cannonballs.

The logic here is that skeletons can perform all the same actions as a human crew, except for bailing. So once you’ve opened up some homes you want to prevent them from getting repaired for long enough to sink them.

Zwabu
    Aug 7, 2006

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Generally no. Only in special circumstances. For skeleton sloops I feel it’s never needed. For skeleton galleons if they’re nearly sunk preventing lower deck repairs for a while can help finish them. If you have a keg you can set it off in their bottom deck to sink then more efficiently. If you are literally out of cannonballs or wood you can steal supplies that can allow you to survive or finish the fight. Occasionally you are lucky and can find a keg on board and light the fuse.

Chev
    Jul 19, 2010
    Switchblade Switcharoo
    Although if there's a keg on board you'll probably detonate it just by shooting at the ship.

Unsinkabear
    Jun 8, 2013

BlackIronHeart posted:

Sloops are best when sailing into the wind compared to the larger ships. If you put your ship into the wind so the wind is coming directly at you AND turn the sail forward you are moving faster than brigs or galleons chasing you. It's a paradox but it's the way things work.

Follow-up to this: is pointing the sail straight forward for max speed only true when sailing straight upwind, or is that true anytime you aren't catching the wind in the sails perfectly?

CainsDescendant
    Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Unsinkabear posted:

Follow-up to this: is pointing the sail straight forward for max speed only true when sailing straight upwind, or is that true anytime you aren't catching the wind in the sails perfectly?

Only when you're sailing directly into the wind. This applies to all ships, btw, sloops just move faster against the wind.

ILL Machina
    Mar 25, 2004

Unsinkabear
    Jun 8, 2013

Oh man, thank you so much for this. I'm ready to go now :black101:

ILL Machina
    Mar 25, 2004

Unsinkabear posted:

Oh man, thank you so much for this. I'm ready to go now :black101:

Sure thing. I keep it pinned in my discord. I think the important takeaways are that:

A) sloops always win into the wind and lose in all other optimal orientations
    B) Galleons lose to brigs with a stern crosswind
    C) sloops require much less sail management for optimizations
    D) sail positioning MATTERS when chasing/running

BlackIronHeart
    Aug 2, 2004

Also this game is on sale on Steam at 30% off.

Unsinkabear
    Jun 8, 2013

BlackIronHeart posted:

Also this game is on sale on Steam at 30% off.

Double gold and rep weekend too, what uuuuuup. I don't think I know enough yet to really leverage it, though. Do they do these often?

There's also an Ori ship set from Twitch drops, and it's cute as hell. :swoon:

Adbot
    ADBOT LOVES YOU

Giggle Goose
    Oct 18, 2009

I'm confused by this chart. Wouldn't sailing into a straight headwind with your sails deployed as though you had a tail wind actively slow you down? Even if you only had one sail set?

Edit. Never mind I misread the chart.

Double Edit. Actually no, I'm still confused. Why wouldn't you angle your sails going into a direct headwind?

Giggle Goose fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Sep 18, 2020