Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

That Italian Guy posted:

Yeah, I remembered him immediately cause he plays Lem in Better off Ted. And now my headcanon is that Veridian Dynamics is a subholding of Vought and nothing can change my mind.

E: I mean, they did try to weaponize pumpkins in S1E1.
E2: and now I'm sad again that BoT got cancelled :(

Better off Ted was such a good show and I could totally see Veridian Dynamics as a subsidiary of Vought.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I'm morbidly curious about the lead-up to Homelander raping Becca, since he acted like a nervous virgin around Stillwell... but that might've been because she embodied a really hosed up oedipal fantasy to him.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

davidspackage posted:

I'm morbidly curious about the lead-up to Homelander raping Becca, since he acted like a nervous virgin around Stillwell... but that might've been because she embodied a really hosed up oedipal fantasy to him.

At the time of their intercourse, Stillwell was the one in power in the relantionship - and not for her rank. Becca was just the new girl.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Verus posted:

There's some people in this thread who keep typing 'Voight' instead of 'Vought' and another guy who keeps typing 'Highlander' instead of 'Homelander' and it is killing me.

Add to this that in Watchmen, Ozymandias' name is "Veidt" and so is his massive superhero company. You'd think if you were doing a similar "superheroes but real and dark" you'd try to keep away from that kind of close similarity lol.

boo_radley posted:

Do not pick up trash from the street and bring it into the house, thank u. Nobody wants to read misogynistic reddit takes, this thread is wobbly enough as it is.

Yeah agreed; bad takes are out there, we don't really need to focus on them.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Verus posted:

There's some people in this thread who keep typing 'Voight' instead of 'Vought' and another guy who keeps typing 'Highlander' instead of 'Homelander' and it is killing me.

And they keep typing 'supes' instead of 'soups.'

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Didn't the comics make the Becca-Homelander hookup consensual? I think that's where this is coming from. Her telling him he can't call the kid his father seemed pretty definitive. They'd have to write backwards to make it something else and that would be "revealing" something that was only a secret because of bad writing, and I think these writers are better than doing something that.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

gently caress it, just make season 3 a cooking show

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Proof of both what happened with Butcher's wife, plus how crazy insane powerful Homelander is, can be found at the end of the first season. Was I the only one who watched it and paid attention to the dialogue? Granted he could be lying but what would the point be? The truth hurts worse and it's not like Butcher can even remotely hurt him. Edit - That she was raped by HL, I mean. There's the video footage, and HL being creepy as gently caress. I'd ask why anyone could think different but we had a multi page derail about if a racist character was actually racist.

HL bragging about how much the wife enjoyed it, and Butcher busting a gently caress it and hitting the detonator, WHILE WEARING THE BOMBS, being saved by HL and dropped off to see the proof that HL was right. Plus he saved the baby too.

Dude is literally faster than an explosion. Crazy strong, has eye lasers. There's a reason people are scared of him. I think Voight realized how badly they hosed up making him, and made sure the next batch of kids were a magnitude less powerful.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Sep 16, 2020

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
My theory on Black Noir is he's looking for Butcher to either ask for help or offer help, maybe with taking down Vaught or back-tracking his own past -- not sure how that would even work, but I don't think it's a straightforward assassination situations

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Arglebargle III posted:

gently caress it, just make season 3 a cooking show

Cooking with Black Noir! Every week on Vought+

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

That Italian Guy posted:

Yeah, I remembered him immediately cause he plays Lem in Better off Ted. And now my headcanon is that Veridian Dynamics is a subholding of Vought and nothing can change my mind.

E: I mean, they did try to weaponize pumpkins in S1E1.
E2: and now I'm sad again that BoT got cancelled :(

Backing up the "yes it was him" and I am also sad that Better of Ted is gone though I did not know about it until years later.

thrawn527 posted:

In a thread that can occasionally get kind of negative, I just wanted to take a moment to point out that this line made me smile.

Whole post was good, but this made me laugh.
Glad man... The Boys thread shouldn't forget to have some fun every now and then.

other things about The Boys S1
Hughie having no idea how a magazine works. Frenchie laughing while helping him out.
Frenchie wasn't quite so creepy about Kimiko.
Mother's Milk is, again, such a nice dependable foundation. His grounded performance really helps this series' tone from going too far.
The Deep agreeing to give the rescued dolphin a Hol-E (I just made that term up but feel appropriate). You ever notice how most of the Oceanlife often have very sexual requests from the Deep? We need a Boys version of Queen Mera: Therapist to the Seven Seas. That guy needs to be sent to like middle of the great deserts of Arizonia. I hear they have great bartenders down there far away from any water.
The Starlight VS A Train fight really was a nice capture of fighting against speedsters. Captain Cold is a true baller. Hughie and Starlight acting like true heroes even to someone that they shouldn't care about. I'm with that one Goons dad as they are so wonderful in a cheesy wonderbread way and I wouldn't change a thing.They are a nice counterbalance with some of the real effed up poo poo and, if they weren't so endearing, this should could get a bit dark.
Homelander lasts about a minute having sex with Stillwell. It .... makes total sense. So much makes sense.

Homelander VS Butcher part 1 was really well shot. Love Homie hearing his heart rise but knowing that it's anger and not fear. Butcher and HL as characters trying to one up each other in this game and both actors just munching on the scene to perfection. I love the moment when Butcher's eyes alone show that he underestimated Homelander. It's just a slight "oh gently caress me...he doesn't give a toss". Stillwell finally admitting how petrified she truly is of Homelander and the complete JOY Homelander feels. Butcher knowing his plan is hosed but he's like "oh well". Tense and terrifying lead up to a brilliant reveal with "Sleep Walk" softly playing in the back. Absolutely beautiful finale.

Verus posted:

There's some people in this thread who keep typing 'Voight' instead of 'Vought' and another guy who keeps typing 'Highlander' instead of 'Homelander' and it is killing me
My favverite Voight Supe is Highlander. There can be only won.

DogsInSpace! fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Sep 16, 2020

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
That's another thing about Homelander, his senses are acute enough to detect changes in heartbeat. So he can accurately guess when someone is lying to him.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo
I haven't seen this mentioned yet but I just don't get Ashley.

After she saw what HL did to that blind supe, I don't get why she didn't bail right there.

The prestige and pay of that job can't possibly be worth having to be around a psychopath like HL all the time.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Zaphod42 posted:

Add to this that in Watchmen, Ozymandias' name is "Veidt" and so is his massive superhero company. You'd think if you were doing a similar "superheroes but real and dark" you'd try to keep away from that kind of close similarity lol.

Yes, when creating a parody it is very important to make sure that it is nothing like the thing being parodied.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I'm pretty sure Ashley doesn't have a choice at this point

Even if she ran Homelander would just rip her in half

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Jedit posted:

Yes, when creating a parody it is very important to make sure that it is nothing like the thing being parodied.

You think The Boys is a parody of Watchmen?

I think they're both a parody of like Marvel/DC, but not specifically one another. Do you have anything to back that up?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Supreme Allah posted:

My theory on Black Noir is he's looking for Butcher to either ask for help or offer help, maybe with taking down Vaught or back-tracking his own past -- not sure how that would even work, but I don't think it's a straightforward assassination situations

I'm wondering how he'd even ask for help. *points at himself, points at Butcher, makes heart symbol with his hands*

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Panfilo posted:

That's another thing about Homelander, his senses are acute enough to detect changes in heartbeat. So he can accurately guess when someone is lying to him.

That only makes him as accurate as a lie detector test, and Starlight proved just how good those are.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

I haven't seen this mentioned yet but I just don't get Ashley.

After she saw what HL did to that blind supe, I don't get why she didn't bail right there.

Homelander has a terrible termination process. Ashley just saw him ear box a dude hard enough to spray blood out of his ears, and Blindspot was a huge fan of Homelander. He could have let them down easily, but that wouldn't have sent the message. Crippling Blindspot was 100% a message to Ashley, not some incidental act. In fact, here's question to think about : why did Homelander choose to bring Ashley back at all? It's not because she's a strong independent woman.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing
"Why does Ashley simply not report Homelander to Human Resources? Surely Vought has a process for this!"

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

thrawn527 posted:

I'm wondering how he'd even ask for help. *points at himself, points at Butcher, makes heart symbol with his hands*

Or he brings out an 80s boombox and plays some Peter Gabriel. Sadly he chooses "Sledgehammer" so the message gets muddied.

boo_radley posted:

Homelander has a terrible termination process. Ashley just saw him ear box a dude hard enough to spray blood out of his ears, and Blindspot was a huge fan of Homelander. He could have let them down easily, but that wouldn't have sent the message. Crippling Blindspot was 100% a message to Ashley, not some incidental act. In fact, here's question to think about : why did Homelander choose to bring Ashley back at all? It's not because she's a strong independent woman.

boo_radley posted:

"Why does Ashley simply not report Homelander to Human Resources? Surely Vought has a process for this!"

Yeah.... HR responds by sending her to Sandusky. I don't blame Ashley at all. I know she's a PR Drone a lot of people would mock but she really was neck deep in the chum before she knew what hit her. She has obviously been terrified since like the second episode of this show when she was newer. Annika I think might be able to quietly slip away but I am fairly sure Ashley is toast. I bet the character knows this but is too terrified to do anything but watch the truck come slowly at her.

Watching the first ep of Season 2 again. "Sympathy for the Devil" is a cool song but I just feel a bit overdone with TV and movies. At least the Rolling Stones version. Janes Addiction did a version on their 80s album XXX. Use that or some custom cover.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

PostNouveau posted:

Didn't the comics make the Becca-Homelander hookup consensual?

In the comic she's not named Becca, was clearly raped (by Homelander or not-Homelander posing as Homelander, I can't remember), and Butcher's only clue that something happened is that she goes from being happy and joyful to looking like she has PTSD, and then when her kid lasers its way out of her uterus and Butcher beats it to death.

It's Ennis. The man could and would fit rape into a children's book if he could.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Dennis Homelander is cannon

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

thrawn527 posted:

He's just going to pull a Goku and fight Butcher until they become friends

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Zaphod42 posted:

You think The Boys is a parody of Watchmen?

I think they're both a parody of like Marvel/DC, but not specifically one another. Do you have anything to back that up?

The Boys isn't specifically a parody of either, but of superheroes in general. The Seven are the Justice League but most of the other teams are Marvel, and so on. But when you've got a corporation making mad bank off superhero merchandise and superhero adventures have always been to some great degree scripted like wrestling, yes, it's right to throw elements of Watchmen into the mix.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I like this show, but a lot of the entertainment from it really comes from this thread.

sliami
Apr 28, 2018

DogsInSpace! posted:

Watching the first ep of Season 2 again. "Sympathy for the Devil" is a cool song but I just feel a bit overdone with TV and movies. At least the Rolling Stones version. Janes Addiction did a version on their 80s album XXX. Use that or some custom cover.

we need at least a 5 year moratorium on rolling stones needle drops. excluding the infected mushroom remixes

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Watchmen was the first major deconstruction of comic book heroes, there is literally a 0% that Ennis didn’t read Watchmen and consider it a serious influence.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Dennis Homelander is cannon

Do you think Homelander has a collection of skin luggage?

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

DogsInSpace! posted:

I don't blame Ashley at all. I know she's a PR Drone a lot of people would mock but she really was neck deep in the chum before she knew what hit her. She has obviously been terrified since like the second episode of this show when she was newer.

I've got some sympathy for her; she's still got some "banality of evil" factor, but she's definitely way beyond the point where "Lean In" style assertiveness will help her.

DogsInSpace! posted:

Annika I think might be able to quietly slip away but I am fairly sure Ashley is toast. I bet the character knows this but is too terrified to do anything but watch the truck come slowly at her.

After the scenes with Gecko, I was wondering how many D-Tier supes Vought employs just to keep them busy. There's got to be, like, wonder-typists, or maybe edge-case fire/ lightning superheroes that just work in facilities to keep the lights on and the water flowing. I bet Annika has a superpower, and it's not just the ability to enjoy Almond Joys.

DogsInSpace! posted:

being an old rivethead, may I recommend some Laibach for you?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7muCRio2nQ

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

I'm imagining Antony Starr saying "You haven't thought of the smell, you bitch!" and it totally works.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

This poo poo is still so good. The performances are really great, I can't really think of anyone who you'd point to as a sore thumb from what they're bringing to the show.

I def appreciated the clarity Becca provided, and it really set the opportunity for some interesting angles they can go with her and the kid with. I'm continually astounded by how graphic and gross this show can be without it being an utter turn off. Somehow they've managed to make all those deeply uncomfortable things very compelling to world build and develop the characters. It's almost the opposite of the comics where it was nearly just shock for shock value, and they're pointedly using the graphic lovely stuff to drive the plot and characters. Honestly that seems like a hard task for most media, that they've managed it so well without driving viewers off I think is p impressive.

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

Anthony Starr really is the perfect casting for Homelander. There’s nothing about his portrayal that you should like, quite the opposite, but he has just the right amount of charisma that you can’t help but be captivated by him.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
this show is so good it makes HBO's the Watchmen look like Alan Moore's the Watchmen

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Ashley is 100% Banality of Evil. At least Stillwell had some class, Ashley is a disposable cog in the suffering factory and she knows it.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Bust Rodd posted:

Watchmen was the first major deconstruction of comic book heroes, there is literally a 0% that Ennis didn’t read Watchmen and consider it a serious influence.

And I never said anything to the contrary. Of COURSE it was an influence. But that doesn't mean you use the same name, or a parody of a name from the work, in your work.

Luke Skywalker isn't named Luke Gordon, and it might feel a bit odd unless you're specifically commenting on Flash Gordon.

My point was that since he wasn't directly commentating on Alan Moore, he would want to keep his own superhero parody at least a few feet away from doing the same exact things with the same names that Moore did. So as not to seem like you're copying the same concepts.

I guess it makes as much sense either way though.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Arglebargle III posted:

Ashley is 100% Banality of Evil. At least Stillwell had some class, Ashley is a disposable cog in the suffering factory and she knows it.

~In Marshawn Lynch's Tone~ "I'm just here so I don't get lasered"

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

this show is so good it makes HBO's the Watchmen look like Alan Moore's the Watchmen

Nah, The Boys is extremely entertaining but I really don’t get the sense that it’s trying to “say something”, just trying to tell this awesome story. Watchmen pretty clearly had a message that ended up, uh, becoming completely hyper relevant only a few months after it was being criticized as “heavy handed”.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

The Notorious ZSB posted:

This poo poo is still so good. The performances are really great, I can't really think of anyone who you'd point to as a sore thumb from what they're bringing to the show.

I def appreciated the clarity Becca provided, and it really set the opportunity for some interesting angles they can go with her and the kid with. I'm continually astounded by how graphic and gross this show can be without it being an utter turn off. Somehow they've managed to make all those deeply uncomfortable things very compelling to world build and develop the characters. It's almost the opposite of the comics where it was nearly just shock for shock value, and they're pointedly using the graphic lovely stuff to drive the plot and characters. Honestly that seems like a hard task for most media, that they've managed it so well without driving viewers off I think is p impressive.

I think that it’s because all of the human violence is honest in its scope and impact.