Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Log off dude

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Flimf
Sep 3, 2006

please stop talking about this stupid garbage

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus
Dingo Pictures presents:

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Mordja posted:

The alt-right connotations are purely American, and as previous posters have illustrated, even then most people on Twitch and Discord stll use Pepe memes without malice. Applying said connotations to a completely different political movement on the other side of the world is provincial at best, deranged at worst.

Uh, no it isn't purely an American thing. I have seen nazi pieces of poo poo from Europe use the Pepe meme too. That is a weird thing to even think is true, because its an internet meme. Granted not everyone using it is racist, but it still has pretty strong ties to racism.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I’ve seen c-beams glitter off the Tannhauser Gate. I’ve seen a nasty redditor use the frog meme

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Pepe died so Wojack could live.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Fallom posted:

I’ve seen c-beams glitter off the Tannhauser Gate. I’ve seen a nasty redditor use the frog meme

all those moments will be lost in time like tears in rain

guess I'll die

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Pretend I posted the Farscape gif again but instead of peeing fire on a cardiov post it’s peeing fire on alt right symbology chat.

Recently I’ve been playing synthetik and I finally got a win with heavy gunner last night. So far this class has taken by far the longest for me to earn a win (only assassin and engineer remaining) and it was mostly because the final boss glitched out that I won.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Uh, no it isn't purely an American thing. I have seen nazi pieces of poo poo from Europe use the Pepe meme too. That is a weird thing to even think is true, because its an internet meme. Granted not everyone using it is racist, but it still has pretty strong ties to racism.

Ehh. Like I said, the overwhelming bulk of use on both Twitch and Discord doesn't align with that. Things have changed since the aftermath of 2016 in the sense that fuckheads keep moving on to new things to taint and what ends up being the enduring use isn't theirs.

Anyway, anyone have any experience with the IRL boardgame Wingspan? The videogame port of it is hitting Steam on the 17th and it looks gorgeous, but I'm just wondering if the game itself is good and if it benefits from the move to PC.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Anyone have opinions on that recent Vampire's Fall RPG on Steam? https://store.steampowered.com/app/1167950/Vampires_Fall_Origins/

Steam keeps recommending it to me for some reason and I'd like to just yay or nay it already. The reviews are pretty good, which actually makes me a bit leery coming from a no-name game that looks this bad. I've been burned on a few purchases recently and it has started to make me really conscious of how prevalent astroturfing is in online marketplaces.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Cardiovorax posted:

Anyone have opinions on that recent Vampire's Fall RPG on Steam? https://store.steampowered.com/app/1167950/Vampires_Fall_Origins/

Steam keeps recommending it to me for some reason and I'd like to just yay or nay it already. The reviews are pretty good, which actually makes me a bit leery coming from a no-name game that looks this bad. I've been burned on a few purchases recently and it has started to make me really conscious of how prevalent astroturfing is in online marketplaces.

It’s a port of a phone game, which absolutely killed any interest i had in it.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

It’s a port of a phone game, which absolutely killed any interest i had in it.
Well, that certainly answers that for me as well, thank you.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Love playing poker in the village of Vamp'Ire, it's always a no-stakes game.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Yeah, but that's only because they can't get past the last card.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Xarbala posted:

:tizzy:

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Xarbala posted:

they always count cards though

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

Fallom posted:

I’d rather people use the funny frog for non white supremacist things than to immediately and forever cede it to terrorists

Words I live by

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus

Hwurmp posted:

they always count cards though

:v:

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Something something alu-card games.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

e: why the gently caress does it say Farmers Insurance

ee: Farmers Insurance pls hit me up re: sponsorship

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AXPnH0C9UA

Anomandaris
Apr 3, 2010

KazigluBey posted:

Ehh. Like I said, the overwhelming bulk of use on both Twitch and Discord doesn't align with that. Things have changed since the aftermath of 2016 in the sense that fuckheads keep moving on to new things to taint and what ends up being the enduring use isn't theirs.

Anyway, anyone have any experience with the IRL boardgame Wingspan? The videogame port of it is hitting Steam on the 17th and it looks gorgeous, but I'm just wondering if the game itself is good and if it benefits from the move to PC.

The board game is also gorgeous and a very good engine builder. I've played it in 3 and 4 players and everybody liked it. The mechanics are easy to understand and fit the theme. Only minus is that there's not really much interaction between players - there are no "attacks" against the other players in the base game (the expansion has a few, but they're quite mild). If you want to try it I recommend playing it in Tabletop Simulator.

Back Alley Borks
Oct 22, 2017

Awoo.

I found Wingspan nice to play the first few times, but that was primarily due to the amazing components and artwork. I'm tepid about playing it in person now. The engine building is random and there are few meaningful decisions over the course of the hour or two you're playing it.

I would loathe playing a digital version, because at least in the physical game I get to move really nice components around my board and interact with people face to face.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

KazigluBey posted:

played it once and first impression wasn’t incredible. it felt like the game lasted a lot longer than the interesting decisions did, and felt like the birds that just give you free poo poo whenever another player did something were inordinately good and led to weird scenarios where you could take an action to get 2 resources that ends up giving the rest of the table 6 resources. I won by a landslide just by getting tons of free poo poo. sample size of 1 game so this could be way off, just my first impression of it. Haven’t gotten to play it again yet because covid. I liked the bird house construction it uses to roll dice

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Engine builder with little interaction between players and a somewhat haphazard path to victory, plus some of the IRL fun was in actually getting to move around beautiful components and being around your fellow players, am I getting that right? Kinda sounds like a game that loses a fair bit in the digital translation, probably only really gaining the game itself doing all the minutia bookkeeping and token counting for you.

That art tho, gonna' give the devs props for animating all the birb art. Probably picking this one up only on sale, thanks for the info.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I picked up BPM this morning and if you can get past the... distinct???... use of color, this is a fantastically fun meld of DOOM and Crypt of the Necrodancer (a concept I didn't think could possibly be made manifest)

I found six-shooter that needs seven reload taps on (half-)beats to go from empty to full: one tap to open the chamber, one tap per bullet shoved in, and one more to close it, all on rhythm. That sounds like a pain in the rear end written down but it is so satisfying in game

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

KazigluBey posted:

I played maybe 3-4 1v1 matches with it, and while it might play a bit less discrete in a 4 way ffa, I really do agree with what GayRat said, there's not a lot of interesting choices to be made. You kick off with your starting hand and commit to a strat, but about halfway through the game just kinda plays itself; you have to generate eggs to make a good play, and next turn you better use those eggs for the obvious good play, rinse repeat. Pretty game, but ultimately shallow imo.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

https://www.fanatical.com/en/pick-and-mix/all-stars-build-your-own-bundle

$1 for 1, 5 for $3, 10 for $5

KOTOR 1 & 2
Hob
Blood: Fresh Supply
Eagle Island
Simcity 4 Deluxe
Tesla vs Lovecraft
Atari Vault (also separate DLC)
Pony Island
Reventure

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Ciaphas posted:

I picked up BPM this morning and if you can get past the... distinct???... use of color, this is a fantastically fun meld of DOOM and Crypt of the Necrodancer (a concept I didn't think could possibly be made manifest)

I found six-shooter that needs seven reload taps on (half-)beats to go from empty to full: one tap to open the chamber, one tap per bullet shoved in, and one more to close it, all on rhythm. That sounds like a pain in the rear end written down but it is so satisfying in game

wouldnt that be 8 taps, unless it held 5 bullets? I feel like 8 taps would be easier to integrate into a beat rather than 7

kinda sounds like receiver which can get a rhythm of its own when u need to reload

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

pentyne posted:

In other news, The Turing Test was a pretty fun game. The standard puzzles never got to crazy, to the benefit and detriment of the later game. You start getting a few new tricks after chapter 4 but there's never a natural growth to more and more complex puzzles everything is pretty easily solved in 5 minutes. Some of them were easy enough to break via exploiting game mechanics that most YT solutions are less then 2 minutes even for the "long" ones.

The story is kind of there; it wants to have all this meaning about the power of AI, the ability to truly think/feel, and the human/AI conflict and it stays interesting for most of it not really able to maintain the hype all the way through.

The puzzle mechanics are based around a gun, the ability to absorb/deploy energy balls to power outlets, and a few other things. There's nothing more complicated then setting up a series of various energy balls in the right order so the automated patterns operate so that you can proceed. The special rooms are either trivial or insanely impossible but those "special" mechanics are never added to the regular puzzles.

I'm pretty sure I got the game in a bundle or something. It was a nice brain exercise lasting 4-5 hours and I got the dopamine rush when I was able to figure out a somewhat tricky puzzle all on my own.

I'm a sucker for Portal clones and The Turing Test exists in this weird space where it was neither so extraordinary it really stuck with me nor bad or uncompelling or anything. Like I enjoyed it a lot but once it was over I was just kinda like "oh...okay". Maybe that's down to the bummer of an ending.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

wouldnt that be 8 taps, unless it held 5 bullets? I feel like 8 taps would be easier to integrate into a beat rather than 7

kinda sounds like receiver which can get a rhythm of its own when u need to reload

I can't count :eng99:

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

John Murdoch posted:

I'm a sucker for Portal clones and The Turing Test exists in this weird space where it was neither so extraordinary it really stuck with me nor bad or uncompelling or anything. Like I enjoyed it a lot but once it was over I was just kinda like "oh...okay". Maybe that's down to the bummer of an ending.

It is a grim space adventure.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

EA Desktop App
Formerly Origin
Formerly EA Download Manager
Futurely 0rigi|\|

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Melman v2

Croccers posted:

EA Desktop App
Formerly Origin
Formerly EA Download Manager
Futurely 0rigi|\|
EA Link
EA Store

as well

I think it's gone through more name changes than any other store/client

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I am right next to an EA CMS and pretty sure they had a special deal with the ISP so my download speeds in Origin were actually faster than my normal service and I still bought all my non-EA games from Steam because :effort:

A name isn't going to do anything good or bad.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

The 7th Guest posted:

https://www.fanatical.com/en/pick-and-mix/all-stars-build-your-own-bundle

$1 for 1, 5 for $3, 10 for $5

KOTOR 1 & 2
Hob
Blood: Fresh Supply
Eagle Island
Simcity 4 Deluxe
Tesla vs Lovecraft
Atari Vault (also separate DLC)
Pony Island
Reventure

That's a great deal for the Kotor games if anyone wants to play the "best" SW RPG games they ever made. Its 3rd Dungeons and Dragons style combat with Jedi, lightsabers, and force powers/magic

Kotor 1 is classic Bioware so if you ever played a Bioware game a lot of it started here. IT'll seem kind of cliched and played out only because the company essentially copied what they did here in large parts for most later games.

Kotor 2 is Obsidian at its best and has thankfully benefited from a still active mod community that added in all the cut content and fixed a ton of weird problems. Has the distinction of making GBS threads all over what was canon Jedi lore at the time, the writers wrote a bunch of philosophical "maybe Jedi/force are bad?" stuff and no one from LucasArts complained so they went with it.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

pentyne posted:

Kotor 2 is Obsidian at its best and has thankfully benefited from a still active mod community that added in all the cut content and fixed a ton of weird problems. Has the distinction of making GBS threads all over what was canon Jedi lore at the time, the writers wrote a bunch of philosophical "maybe Jedi/force are bad?" stuff and no one from LucasArts complained so they went with it.

The lead writer had read all the EU stuff to prep for writing the game and was like “fuuuuck this poo poo” and it shows.

I’m iffy about the cut content mods. A lot of the stuff they add is good, but it also brings back some stuff on Nar Shadaa that wasn’t cut for time but because it was pretty bad and far too difficult.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Kotor 1 and 2 are pretty much literally reskins of Neverwinter Nights in terms of basic gameplay and mechanics, for good or bad. Either one is a very good game, although the first one is more complete and polished and the second one has the better writing and characters. Kreia is all sorts of memorable.

If you can find another three games in there that you want, then it's definitely worth the money. If not, then a dollar each for these two games is hardly a bad price either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Ugly In The Morning posted:

The lead writer had read all the EU stuff to prep for writing the game and was like “fuuuuck this poo poo” and it shows.

I’m iffy about the cut content mods. A lot of the stuff they add is good, but it also brings back some stuff on Nar Shadaa that wasn’t cut for time but because it was pretty bad and far too difficult.

I know the solo fight in the cantina against the Twi'leks can be the hardest fight in the game if you don't just shoot at them from behind the bar.

Cut content does a lot to make the last 1/4 of the game make sense, plus it vastly simplifies the social NPC mechanic where you need to hit certain affection levels to upgrade them, and pre-patch that meant strict min/maxing if you wanted to fix all of them.