Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I really like the campaigns so it's a shame the battles in 3K suck so hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

sassassin posted:

I really like the campaigns so it's a shame the battles in 3K suck so hard.

i think they're fun

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

i think they're fun

The slow movement inside settlements is today's main irritation.

Ostrava
Aug 21, 2014
I've been listening to this podcast:
China History Podcast and found an episode specifically on the Three Kingdoms. Chinese history isn't something I've ever known a particularly large amount of before the this game has sparked an interest. I'm having a ton of trouble keeping all the names straight and understanding who is who and from where.

I'd kill for an in game pronunciation guide with sound samples and maybe a brief "this dude historically fought for these dues" brief.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

sassassin posted:

The slow movement inside settlements is today's main irritation.

That's currently a bug if it means anything, so hopefully resolved next patch.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Ostrava posted:

I've been listening to this podcast:
China History Podcast and found an episode specifically on the Three Kingdoms. Chinese history isn't something I've ever known a particularly large amount of before the this game has sparked an interest. I'm having a ton of trouble keeping all the names straight and understanding who is who and from where.

I'd kill for an in game pronunciation guide with sound samples and maybe a brief "this dude historically fought for these dues" brief.

http://www.3kingdomspodcast.com/
if you get through like 5 30 min episodes you hit just about every major character

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

if you get through like 5 30 min episodes you hit just about every major character

I found this podcast, the Chinese TV show, and the books themselves all around the same time and I can't remember which drove me to which first, but I'm pretty sure this podcast was what did it. It's great.

Ostrava
Aug 21, 2014

Squiggle posted:

I found this podcast, the Chinese TV show, and the books themselves all around the same time and I can't remember which drove me to which first, but I'm pretty sure this podcast was what did it. It's great.

Thank you both! I only speak English to any reasonable degree and keeping everything straight in my head with no experience speaking tonal language has me feeling like a 4th grader again.

First and second tone Wu? Great I barely know one Wu now I got two Wu too.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

he man truly is the most powerful.

this game owns

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Roobanguy posted:

he man truly is the most powerful.

this game owns

Yes indeed.

puppets freak me out
Dec 18, 2015

Yellow Turban generals are kinda busted in general, but He Man is even more so. Hail of Arrows is an easy 500+ kills per fight, I've gotten 1600+ kills out of him with good shooting/beating up spearman-deficient armies.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Having fun uniting the nanman as fire queen lady but the nanman skill and tech trees are really bad

Armani Glasses
Feb 29, 2008

They're for reading.

Communist Thoughts posted:

Having fun uniting the nanman as fire queen lady but the nanman skill and tech trees are really bad

In what respect? The character skill system is definitely weird, but I've found im really having to think about my commitments in the tech tree which to me is the sign of a well designed tree and I enjoy it.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Armani Glasses posted:

In what respect? The character skill system is definitely weird, but I've found im really having to think about my commitments in the tech tree which to me is the sign of a well designed tree and I enjoy it.

I don't like that you need to unite the tribes to unlock so much of the tech.
I united everyone real fast but I still had several times where I could only unlock relatively useless stuff like 10% off recruitment costs before then.

That's my only real issue with it. Its the personal skill trees I really dislike, you might as well get rid of them entirely if it's just going to be stat boosts. Especially since in vanilla the stats aren't very interesting (apart from general unit size)

Armani Glasses
Feb 29, 2008

They're for reading.

I don't like that you need to unite the tribes to unlock so much of the tech.
I united everyone real fast but I still had several times where I could only unlock relatively useless stuff like 10% off recruitment costs before then.

That's my only real issue with it. Its the personal skill trees I really dislike, you might as well get rid of them entirely if it's just going to be stat boosts. Especially since in vanilla the stats aren't very interesting (apart from general unit size)

That's fair, the top row especially in all 3 trees do feel pretty superfluous. 10% cheaper spear guys, exciting!

I get you with the personal trees, but I understand their experiment too. Instead of locking out skills you get to just focus on attributes and little missions for extra abilities. Cool on paper, but feels so samey with everyone having the same selection.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Started a Lunchbox King (Shi Xie) campaign and he's actually pretty neat, with MTU you start with Lady Trieu who starts with her own unique elephant mount which is very cool. I managed to get Liu Chong, Liu Yao, Luo Jun, Chen Gong and Cai Yan very early on, which has given me a nice healthy pool of unqiues in addition to my family members, you've also got a really nice starting area too, so this looks like it's off to a good start.

E: Really neat, Cai Yan is married to Huangfu Song, and I had a faction event to adopt her into my family, which I did, and that's now giving me +10 Splendor a turn because HFS is the leader of the Han Empire.

Flipswitch fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Sep 16, 2020

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

I mostly dislike the nanman teching because upgrading resource settlements is locked behind mutually exclusive technologies - if you pick one or the other youre going to have a spice trader stuck at tier 2 forever.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

That's why it's good, it means the tech tree has actual impact imo

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Yeah, the hard choices are a good thing - I just think that the requirement for uniting all of the tribes for some techs could be one tier lower down on the tree itself.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

I dislike it: I need to conquer developed Han farm provinces to keep healthy surplus of food. I don't think there's any way to get even close to the output of dedicated Han and YT provinces.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

alex314 posted:

I dislike it: I need to conquer developed Han farm provinces to keep healthy surplus of food. I don't think there's any way to get even close to the output of dedicated Han and YT provinces.

I never had trouble with food in my Meng Huo campaign. Just build the +food building in every city. I don't think I ever went negative once from beginning to victory.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Yeah I never had any food issues as Nanman, especially since they have really good public order bonuses so I can crank tax up to maximum. How tall are you building your cities?

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Ostrava posted:

Thank you both! I only speak English to any reasonable degree and keeping everything straight in my head with no experience speaking tonal language has me feeling like a 4th grader again.

First and second tone Wu? Great I barely know one Wu now I got two Wu too.
In addition to both podcasts, SeriousTrivia is a native Mandarin speaker who is also one of the few officially-partnered Total War YouTubers to focus on Total War: Three Kingdoms.

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

alex314 posted:

For me its not the resource output, more that its a really small garrison. I'd be fine not getting the resource output so long as you could still upgrade the settlement.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Blooming Brilliant posted:

Yeah I never had any food issues as Nanman, especially since they have really good public order bonuses so I can crank tax up to maximum. How tall are you building your cities?

A mix of -6 food and up (down). I've picked the other line so my max food is +3 or +2. I've messed up by not getting + satisfaction earlier, so I got hit by -satisfaction, grabbing some developed Han provinces, and not being able to raise taxes. My planning error, but for about 10 turns I was totally on the defensive and one motivated war dec from folding. Also lucky that Nanman doesn't do spy stuff, or all my chars would simply defect.

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

more specifically:
division of labour and advance metalwork both need the "expanding infrastructure" mission to be completed - that mission is just "have a tool settlement" basically. There's only one near you and its actually not that near, and it puts you in early contact with Wu. The other techs in the tree are more general - reach rank X with Y characters, get fealty of this many tribes, etc. the ones that are locked behind a resource usually just effect that resource specifically. IIRC one of those techs also locks you out of the building upgrades for the tool settlements too. Thats the one that made me go back to the other campaigns.

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

it sucks that the missions are "undiscovered" but as far as I can tell aren't random either, so it really punishes your first playthrough.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

The roster is good though, lots of fun stuff with javs, slings, poison, blowpipes, splash attacks etc and a lot of variations of each unit.

But it's a shame you basically get all of it by the end by uniting the tribes.
I'm not sure what would tempt you to play again as a diff tribe.

puppets freak me out
Dec 18, 2015

Yeah the unit variation in the Nanman roster is a lot of fun. I've especially enjoyed putting up Might of the Valley against Spear Guards, it's so satisfying to see stubborn units like that get shredded.

The Nanman tech tree has an interesting concept that works pretty well: modernize and embrace Han cultural elements or emphasize the Nanman culture. The thing I don't enjoy about it is the way building upgrades are distributed. For example, the economic reforms tree has tiers four and five of four different sets of buildings behind a single reform at the end. Why not spread them out a bit more through the tree? Why do I need to get to the last reform in the economic tree to unlock upgrades for my military buildings? For that matter, why is the tier 5 tool workshop locked behind a tech in the bottom of the military tech tree?
I understand that you're not supposed to be able to get everything (especially considering how potent a lot of Nanman buildings are) and the way the bonuses are laid out in the reforms is consistent with that: they reward focusing on a tree more than dabbling in all of them. I feel like if the building upgrades were distributed just a little bit more evenly there would be more flexibility in commandery builds.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

The roster is good though, lots of fun stuff with javs, slings, poison, blowpipes, splash attacks etc and a lot of variations of each unit.

But it's a shame you basically get all of it by the end by uniting the tribes.
I'm not sure what would tempt you to play again as a diff tribe.

Since all the current Nanman starts are pretty spread out from each other, different playthroughs will unlock units at different rates. Think that helps with replayability a bit, like my first playthrough leaned hard on Wutugu's Axe Throwers after I got them pretty early.

I haven't done the regular Nanman victory yet. Do the Han bum rush during those 20 turns you're meant to hold your land, or is it somewhat easy?

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Blooming Brilliant posted:

I haven't done the regular Nanman victory yet. Do the Han bum rush during those 20 turns you're meant to hold your land, or is it somewhat easy?

It was mostly just "click end turn" by that point for me. I was so big that nothing was close to being a threat, so I challenged myself to rush an emperor seat before the timer finished.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Anyone know what mod might be causing invisible generic generals? Or not precisely invisible, they still have floating heads and arms. Turned off Generic General Overhaul but that doesn't seem to be it...

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

sun quan attacks me in the perfect territory for him but i just hid in a forest that i set on fire and filled with tigers

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

I've noticed that Wutugu and Shamoke tend to aggressively expand north so you're likely to encounter them as Wu, Liu Biao or Ma Teng, it's nice that the campaign map has things going on for both sides now.

Invading Namman territory is fittingly a loving nightmare though mostly due to the absolute crawl speed you get on the campaign map.

VietCampo
Aug 24, 2010
Man, don't you just love vassals/allies wanting to pay you just to join your wars. Why yes i'll take free money

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
Wutugu somehow ended up in the old Chang'an area during my current Mulu playthrough.

McTimmy fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Sep 17, 2020

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Flipswitch posted:

I've noticed that Wutugu and Shamoke tend to aggressively expand north so you're likely to encounter them as Wu, Liu Biao or Ma Teng, it's nice that the campaign map has things going on for both sides now.

Invading Namman territory is fittingly a loving nightmare though mostly due to the absolute crawl speed you get on the campaign map.

I really like that the Nanman aggressively push into Han territory, it makes the game a lot more fun and interesting. Sometimes Wu holds out, sometimes they fold. It leads to more unpredictability and diversity in playthroughs. It's great. I hope they can add in some "Northern Barbarian" factions. They would also play very differently from both the Han and Nanman.

Hell, add in the Koreans and maybe some Japanese pirates too.

Edit: I've yet to do a migration playthrough. Maybe I'll do one as Liu Bei and set up shop in Shu proper, it should be an interesting area to fight in as a Han faction.

Dramicus fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Sep 17, 2020

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

I've been enjoying it with Shi Xie as there's very much a holding back the barbarians at the gates type of feel with my elite Liu Chong cavalry etc. I've just slowly built up around the south and I'm starting to push north over the river.

E: Holy poo poo, Meng Huo has wiped out Ma Teng, Dong Zhou and Han Sui.

Flipswitch fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Sep 17, 2020

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
They said they wanted to do a similar DLC for the northern side of the map, which was great news. I assume next dlc is going to be a start-pos one though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Yeah I want Xiongnu and Koreans at least